• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Why would you put SA-X in this? o_O At least Dark Samus has possibilities for original moveset...not that Sakurai would give her one.

If Takamura's in it, then Mike Jones should be in it. While Takamura's game was only released in Japan, Startropics was only released in North America and Europe (North America and the PAL regions in the Virtual Console version). Seeing those two team up in an Adventure mode would be quite interesting.

illadelph

They should release Startropics in Japan and Takamura's game here, put both characters in Smash Bros. and everyone will be a winner.

They should release Startropics in Japan and Takamura's game here, put both characters in Smash Bros. and everyone will be a winner.

Or put Mike Jones in the North American version and Takamura in the Japanese version. Or make an event match called "Home Team" and "Away Team" where you play as Mike and Takamura in the North American version and Takamura and Mike in the Japanese version (respectively).

Codeblue

People who have played the Wars series, who is the most likely character? Andy?

Yeah, either him or Will if Intelligent Systems is continuing the Days of Ruin story line if they make a new one.

Which sucks because those are the lamest characters in a series packed with awesome ones.

KevinCow

Banned
Make Mike a default character with Takamaru unlockable for the western release, and vice versa for Japan.

One thing that concerns me about Mike, though, is that he kinda covers similar ground to Ness. Not in his playstyle, but his character archtype. They're both modern day kids who use yoyos to attack. However, while Mike's description ends there, Ness's goes on to include all sorts of crazy psychic powers.

Obviously he wouldn't play like Ness, a unique move set wouldn't be a problem, but without something unique, it could be easy to see him as just Ness without the psychic powers.

Maybe someone more familiar with Startropics could suggest what that unique characteristic might be.

If Takamura's in it, then Mike Jones should be in it. While Takamura's game was only released in Japan, Startropics was only released in North America and Europe (North America and the PAL regions in the Virtual Console version). Seeing those two team up in an Adventure mode would be quite interesting.

I'm personally routing for Captain N to be the US rep, but Mike may have the edge having actually appeared in a game. Then again, Captain N may have the edge because the name "Mike Jones" has no recognition outside the hardest of the hard core.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Might have to give her akuma/seth health to balance out all of the ass kicking she would deal out, but I'm down.

You mean easy to knock out? Sure.

Why would you put SA-X in this? o_O At least Dark Samus has possibilities for original moveset...not that Sakurai would give her one.

Because Samus's moveset is very crap. SA-X has a potential to pretty much be "Samus using big guns".

leroidys

SSB is popular with a younger generation who have no idea who ROB is and why it was so important for the NES' early success in the US (also means they haven't played Wario Ware or FZero GX)

I'm the same age as mario, have played those games and other games ROB has been in, and still don't like him. Mind you, I think its great that other people like him in the game and think hes a cool retro character. We've just generally been talking about our perfect character lists, and that's where I'm coming from.

I made a quick fantasy roster:

jLh5i.png

Obviously, some of those choices are more realistic than others.

I realize it's not the kind of selection that everybody wants to see ("No Isaac? Tingle?!"), but it's in line with the thinking behind Sakurai's previous rosters — to me, anyway.

I know Sakurai said that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work as fighters, but that was before the release of a feature film, City Folk, and an upcoming 3DS game. It's simply too big to ignore now.

Tingle and Goroh are the least likely to be included, but I have them pegged as semi-clones of Balloon Fighter and Takamaru, respectively. If the latter two make it in, I think Tingle and Goroh have a chance out of sheer convenience. Goroh isn't relevant anymore, but he is the second most popular/recognizable F-Zero character, and Sakurai seems to like him; he appeared in Melee's FMV opening and he's an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Besides, there might be an F-Zero game in the works for the 3DS or Wii U… (I almost got through that without laughing.)

That brings me to another point. Sakurai might have knowledge of future releases that the public isn't privy to, so it's nearly impossible for any of us to make fully founded guesses about the roster.

I could definitely see this exact roster being the final one. Not saying it will be of course, it just looks very plausible at this point. Nicely done. I wouldn't mind that as a final roster though I would prefer a few more new series reps.

GamerSoul

You mean easy to knock out? Sure.

Because Samus's moveset is very crap. SA-X has a potential to pretty much be "Samus using big guns".
True. SA X could have some of the weapons that a fully powered weapons that samus would have late in game. That would make it unique but I doubt it would happen.

I think the Dojo revealing the starting line-up one by one was way cooler than looking at a screen shot on IGN or something, so I do hope they bring it back. Maybe just start way later into development or something.

I think that could work If they start the dojo later in developement. It would be more interesting to have some notes and thoughts from sakurai early in development.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think that could work If they start the dojo later in developement. It would be more interesting to have some notes and thoughts from sakurai early in development.

Yeah, that would be cool. I hope that they would add a lot of returning characters as starter characters because it would be nice to be surprise by many new characters as secret characters.

Boss Doggie

Random stuff I thought for SA-X

B - Ice Beam. Can be charged - longer charge means longer ice status. Frozen enemies receive more damage and knock back.
UB - Gravity Jump. A single-hitting but powerful Screw Attack jump. Can actually be timed to perform consecutive jumps (up to 3).
SB - Wave Beam. Moves faster than Ice Beam and actually has the effects of Wide and Plasma Beam to it too, meaning it passes through walls, enemies and splits into three. However it cannot be charged.
DB - Power Bomb. Drops a bomb that explodes with a wider area of effect, but takes a while to explode and can be destroyed.
FS - True Form. Become invulnerable!

Snakey

I am curious what people in this topic think of the following two characters:
- Cloud
- Sheriff

Cloud is perhaps the most well-known RPG hero, and one of the most popular RPG characters ever. However, he has not had any appearances on Nintendo game consoles outside of minor roles in Theatrhythym Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Assuming that a Final Fantasy VII remake or Final Fantasy VII spinoff/sequel is made for a Nintendo console, would Cloud be a good choice for a third-party newcomer? I can't think of any third-party characters aside from Mega Man that would draw hype worldwide.

As for Sheriff, I am talking about the titular character from the Nintendo arcade game, Sheriff. Sheriff is probably Nintendo's first video game character, debuting in 1979, one year before Mr. Game & Watch, and two years before Mario and Donkey Kong. It would be interesting to have an Wild West sheriff character in Smash Bros., however, considering an important part of Wild West sheriffs is their revolver guns, perhaps he is not viable. Though maybe he could be given a NES/Famicom zapper that is the size of a revolver and have it shoot energy bullets instead of actual bullets?

illadelph

Yeah, that would be cool. I hope that they would add a lot of returning characters as starter characters because it would be nice to be surprise by many new characters as secret characters.

With Brawl, I made the mistake of looking up the full roster when it leaked. This time, I'm going to avoid that noise so I can shit myself when I see CHALLENGER APPROACHING

- Cloud
- Sheriff

Cloud is perhaps the most well-known RPG hero, and one of the most popular RPG characters ever. However, he has not had any appearances on Nintendo game consoles outside of minor roles in Theatrhythym Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Assuming that a Final Fantasy VII remake or Final Fantasy VII spinoff/sequel is made for a Nintendo console, would Cloud be a good choice for a third-party newcomer? I can't think of any third-party characters aside from Mega Man that would draw hype worldwide.

He has zero relevance to Nintendo history. And a remake isn't going to happen. No thanks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
- Cloud
- Sheriff

As for Sheriff, I am talking about the titular character from the Nintendo arcade game, Sheriff. Sheriff is probably Nintendo's first video game character, debuting in 1979, one year before Mr. Game & Watch, and two years before Mario and Donkey Kong. It would be interesting to have an Wild West sheriff character in Smash Bros., however, considering an important part of Wild West sheriffs is their revolver guns, perhaps he is not viable. Though maybe he could be given a NES/Famicom zapper that is the size of a revolver and have it shoot energy bullets instead of actual bullets?

I remembered a lot of controversial issues with Cloud during SSBB, and I would say one thing. If they are actually making FF7 remake for 3DS or Wii U then I am fine with it. I would like to see main characters from their actually main series but we are more likely to get Slime which I don't want. If they are going to add slime so I have to accept that. For me, I prefer to see Chocobo being playable. Moogle is fine too.

With Brawl, I made the mistake of looking up the full roster when it leaked. This time, I'm going to avoid that noise so I can shit myself when I see CHALLENGER APPROACHING

I don't know. When I am thinking about level of hype-ness that came from Dojo. It might be harder to resist that but if I did resisted those kind of things. I will end up hearing it from my own friends.

cednym

Banned

Ideally, I'd like to do this, but it's going to be very difficult when the time comes.

After playing lots and lots of Pushmo, I think he should be included as an assist trophy.

Also, Isaac needs to be made playable this time round.

KevinCow

Banned
Problem with Cloud, more than not having relevance to Nintendo history, is what he represents for Nintendo history. He represents a time where third-parties all kinda said at the same time, "Man, fuck this," and jumped over to this new Playstation thing. He represents a point in time where gamers saw Final Fantasy on the Playstation instead of the N64, so bought that instead. He represents the start of a decade of Nintendo at the back of the pack and Sony dominating.

Snake wouldn't be eligible either, considering Metal Gear released on the MSX first, shoddy port to NES later. Metal Gear as a series has less Nintendo history than Final Fantasy does.

JazzmanZ

You know who could make a good Square representation?

Slime! Dragon Quest has already had some history with the Nintendo series, they appeared in Sports mix and have two fortune street games under the belt with Mario.

Honestly, I am surprised that Okkami forget Sonic. I think Sonic will be in SSB4 but Snake wouldn't. What a shame. I would love to see Snake stay in.

I'm calling no third party characters on disc. Post release DLC:

The Away Team Character Pack-
Sonic the Hedgehog
Solid Snake
Mega Man
Travis Touchdown

That way, they can re-release Smash 4 down the line without having to renegotiate licenses.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't see why any of them should go.

Anyway, what about Crono as a Square representative? No?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes! I WANT! I would love to see Crono's triple tech as final smash

Snake wouldn't be eligible either, considering Metal Gear released on the MSX first, shoddy port to NES later. Metal Gear as a series has less Nintendo history than Final Fantasy does.

Feh, good point but Kojima and Sakurai are good friend anyway.

You know who could make a good Square representation?

Slime! Dragon Quest has already had some history with the Nintendo series, they appeared in Sports mix and have two fortune street games under the belt with Mario.

DO NOT WANT

I'm calling no third party characters on disc. Post release DLC:

The Away Team Character Pack-
Sonic the Hedgehog
Solid Snake
Mega Man
Travis Touchdown

That way, they can re-release Smash 4 down the line without having to renegotiate licenses.

It has been discussed few pages ago. Here are the posts.

Has someone posted the idea that Nintendo/Sakurai may think opening the whole character-stage-music creation to all their prefered third parties?
Like in, Capcom putting Megaman as a not free DLC, Konami selling Snake, Nintendo providing free clones à la Dr.Mario or paid clones à la Mewtwo, etc...

The thing only needs to be balanced and integrated by a small team after the game's release, and could be an extension of the work started on Brawl with the implementation of Snake and Sonic. This could be a new step Nintendo of working with third parties for the greater good, opening to them the paid DLC of one of their most popular franchise.
Seriously, the more I'm thinking of it, the more I can see it happen. Maybe this is philosophically too early for Nintendo on 3DS and Wii U, but still, nothing impossible.

I know it's too early to say how supportive Nintendo is toward to DLC but I think your idea seem great on the paper. They should make the contact with third party and make the third party characters as DLC characters only so it would be easier to split the benefits.

50% to Nintendo and 50% Third party Company (more likely 30-40% Nintendo and 60-70% Third Party) and I am sure that they are more likely to be willing to make that kind of deal. If Nintendo sell the character with a stage for 5 dollars each.

For example, a million kids would buy Sonic and Emerald Isle stage, so theoretically 50/50% contract would happens. Sega would make 2.5M easily. (along with some kind of fee and etc.) I would think Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix and Sega would take the opportunity to do that to make a small amount of money for lending out the IP.

Would it happens, Nope. I wish it would happens tho.

cednym

Banned
I'm blown away that I see Travis Touchdown mentioned so often as a possible character. The third-party characters in Smash Bros. are iconic video game all-stars. Their inclusions (Snake and Sonic) feel special and deserved. No More Heroes is way too niche.

Boss Doggie

ITT people forget special requests lol

I know about Sonic and Snake, but they were special cases (one was a Kojima, being a close friend of Sakurai, while the other was more on Nintendo and Sega being close and with Sonic being too popular). I was thinking along on generic third party inclusions.

Wiz

For those who have seen the Multiplayer Video of Kid Icarus: Uprising, how would you like a separate mode similar to that in SSB4?

Sort of like a 3D battle mode, maybe even exclusive on the 3DS version.

I know about Sonic and Snake, but they were special cases (one was a Kojima, being a close friend of Sakurai, while the other was more on Nintendo and Sega being close and with Sonic being too popular). I was thinking along on generic third party inclusions.

I don't think those will happen. Sakurai will be considering every possibility long and hard, no doubt- a set of base rules for whether or not a character can be included or not seems unlikely. (Beyond what Sakurai has said so far, at least, but that basically consists of 'must be from games')

The only stipulation that Sakurai put on third party characters during Brawl's development was that they had to be a video game character originally that appeared on a Nintendo console at least once. He made no mention of them debuting on a Nintendo console. And I really don't understand what you mean by "generic third party inclusions." Any third party character is going to be a special case no matter who it is, by sheer virtue of Nintendo having to work with an outside company.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm blown away that I see Travis Touchdown mentioned so often as a possible character. The third-party characters in Smash Bros. are iconic video game all-stars. Their inclusions (Snake and Sonic) feel special and deserved. No More Heroes is way too niche.

Sakurai is friends with Suda (Suda even has a Special Thanks credit in Brawl), and Suda has expressed an interest in seeing Travis in Smash. That's exactly how Snake got in. I'd say he's more likely than you think.

cednym

Banned
Sakurai is friends with Suda (Suda even has a Special Thanks credit in Brawl), and Suda has expressed an interest in seeing Travis in Smash. That's exactly how Snake got in. I'd say he's more likely than you think.

Yeah, but there's also the thing where Snake's a well-known character from a multi-million selling series and Travis Touchdown isn't. Sakurai is friends with a lot of people, and I'm sure he knows better than to just throw in any old character. He's very selective when it comes to roster inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom