• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 10 |OT| Google's 10-inch tablet developed by Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
For whatever reason, this clustermess of a release has convinced me to hold off on the N10 for a while.

I don't really need it, and I have a vacation in a few weeks on which my N7 will be a better fit anyway. Plus, that's $500 more I can spend on my vacation.

BFIB

For whatever reason, this clustermess of a release has convinced me to hold off on the N10 for a while.

I don't really need it, and I have a vacation in a few weeks on which my N7 will be a better fit anyway. Plus, that's $500 more I can spend on my vacation.

Enjoy that trip to Howard Johnson's, Mr. Cooper.

I'm going out and about tonight to do some X-Mas shopping, so I may have to check in the local wal-marts for their stock.

JCX

Hmm, well I never did really reach my 16 GB limit on my TF101, and I this should have more open space since it's pure android. I might jump in now.

RuGalz

The bezel looked bad in pictures but it's actually nice in person... It's actually pretty easy to hold the tablet at bottom center with one hand in landscape mode, or on the left side in portrait mode. I typically have tablet sit on my wrist while holding right side from under neath using my left when using other tablets. Hype.

BFIB

The bezel looked bad in pictures but it's actually nice in person... It's actually pretty easy to hold the tablet at bottom center with one hand in landscape mode, or on the left side in portrait mode. I typically have tablet sit on my wrist while holding right side from under neath using my left and using other tablets. Hype.

Would you mind taking some snaphots of any magazines you might have on your 10?

Any other impressions?

RuGalz

Here are a couple shots I took displaying a couple magazine pages before I dirty up the screen... The screen is definitely great. Text is very crisp -- much better than my previous Acer Tegra 2 tablet. Now there's no huge disparity between my phone and tablet any more.

The screen is at about 5-10% brightness in the pictures.
8191341765_27269cec62_c.jpg

8192429838_2a623a8c99_c.jpg

Battery sounds really bad. Seems like I get twice that on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Sure this thing is a beast, and the resolution is twice that of the Tab 2, but still. I charge mine nightly, and get about 8 to 10 hours or more out of it.

Still would love one, but i like not worrying about battery life.

Bowdz

Has there been any word from Google about a possible restock time frame for the 32GB? I've been tempted to just cave and go for the 16GB, but I think I'll be using the full 32GB.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Okay got one as a birthday gift, surprise!

I wonder what case/sleeve/cover are you guys using?

What HD apps are must-have for N10?

RuGalz

Can I download flash to it? My girlfriend is wanting to play bingo while I'm at football.

yes you can, you just have to use other browser like Firefox or dolphin. Firefox is having trouble on 4.2 right now though. Also, interactive flash doesn't always work too well... I primarily use it for video.

Blackhead

Redarse
Here are a couple shots I took displaying a couple magazine pages before I dirty up the screen... The screen is definitely great. Text is very crisp -- much better than my previous Acer Tegra 2 tablet. Now there's no huge disparity between my phone and tablet any more.

The screen is at about 5-10% brightness in the pictures.
8191341765_27269cec62_c.jpg

8192429838_2a623a8c99_c.jpg
Why isn't the magazine full screen?! :(
Those buttons are just too much chrome imo. Duarte needs to sort that out in Key Lime

RuGalz

Okay got one as a birthday gift, surprise!

I wonder what case/sleeve/cover are you guys using?

What HD apps are must-have for N10?

There aren't that many HD apps, however, I haven't found the real needs for them since browsing in desktop mode is 80% of my activity...

Why isn't the magazine full screen?! :(
Those buttons are just too much chrome imo. Duarte needs to sort that out in Key Lime

doesn't bother me at all, what's more bothersome to me is some app have options on upper right while some are lower right. also I think they need to move the buttons to lower left again, it's more accessible with left thumb without having to move my hand.

Sorry guys if it's not a right place to ask but I really need help. I need a new tablet for my wife and the problem is I don't know shit about the tablets, not my thing really.

She pretty much needs it for the internet, email, books and online shopping. What would you guys recommend to get?

What the best tablet on the market?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, HD

Exis

I got mine and am loving it, posting from it now. The screen is wonderful and I got through a day on the battery, although I spent most of the day reading.
I wish there were more HD apps, but for comics, books and web this is the best of the android tablets

Somnid

Sorry guys if it's not a right place to ask but I really need help. I need a new tablet for my wife and the problem is I don't know shit about the tablets, not my thing really.

She pretty much needs it for the internet, email, books and online shopping. What would you guys recommend to get?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, HD

A Nexus 7 for that I suppose.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Anyone in Canada know when this will hit retail shops? I'll make some calls around tomorrow to check, but just wondering if anyone here has already looked into it.

Jeff-DSA

Thanks in advance...

Cheers, HD

Nexus 7, for sure. My wife loves hers, and that's what she uses it for (as well as Netflix).

RuGalz

Just a few thoughts after using the tablet for a couple days...

It looks like I'm getting about 10% drain on the battery each hour if all I'm doing is web/email/FB/gtalk (a bit of videos here and there but not much) which would give it close to 10 hours of battery life.

When I was playing Dungeon Village the whole time for about 4.5 hours, it drained the battery down to 35%. So at that rate, it would have lasted, a bit less than 7 hours total.

Brightness stayed at around 5-10% cuz I find the screen is too bright for anything above that indoors.

I still can't get myself to rip off the screen protective film except when I took the pictures above, but the screen is still beautiful. Small texts are very readable so a lot of time I don't even bother to zoom in on webpages.

Lots people argue that iPad's 4:3 screen ratio is better for webpages, but honestly, I think it's only because that's what they are used to see on a tablet format since Apple introduced it that way. To me, 16:10 is similar to my 13" laptop screen ratio (but at much higher resolution). Since I'm browsing in desktop mode in the browsers, it feels very similar except on a much better screen.

You can't really go back once you have experienced forward facing speakers. I almost wish it had 4 speakers so that it would sound correct when using the tablet in portrait mode.

Task switching feels so much nicer than my phone (GS3). No need to long press anything, just hit the right button and switch. It's kind of like alt-tabbing on my desktop windows which makes copy and pasting so much easier.

Android 4.2 keyboard is nice, although I wish it has thumb mode or small mode like Swype. I'm finding myself going back and forth between this and Swype. Improvements on Chinese IME input is nice. Also I think Emoji support is new?

We all know HD apps are lacking. Hopefully that will come in time with the success of N7/N10 combo. I'm not a huge apps/game user so it doesn't really bother me.

Multiple profile support is great, however, there are bugs with various apps not remembering setting for each profile separately...

Jeff-DSA

Nice impressions!

Thanks for that. Lots of good usage info there.

What cases, sleeves, or other accessories are you guys using? The lack of official accessories is a little bothersome. I'm sure some will show if it sells well, but it would be nice to have a few options that would fit the N10 like a glove from day one.

RuGalz

I'm going commando for now and just throw it into my laptop sleeves if needed temporarily. It seems like 3rd party options aren't even out yet.

BFIB

Is the play store the only place I can buy this?

There's been rumors of devices actually being in B&M stores. My local Wal-Mart was expected to receive 2, and I checked every day until Friday and they never were delivered.

They may start trickling in this week, but if you're needing one ASAP, I'd recommend just ordering through Google Play.

torontoml

There's been rumors of devices actually being in B&M stores. My local Wal-Mart was expected to receive 2, and I checked every day until Friday and they never were delivered.

They may start trickling in this week, but if you're needing one ASAP, I'd recommend just ordering through Google Play.

Its sold out when I go to Google Play, thats why I was wondering about other possibilities.

jaxword

Is the Nexus good for windows-specific programs?

Basically this means:

1. Music making, I'll need something that produces files that can be converted to soundforge and autotune and audacity.

2. Windows games, like visual novels.

Those are my big things that will make or break buying it.

Jeff-DSA

Is the Nexus good for windows-specific programs?

Basically this means:

1. Music making, I'll need something that produces files that can be converted to soundforge and autotune and audacity.

2. Windows games, like visual novels.

Those are my big things that will make or break buying it.

Do you mean apps that can export stuff to Windows compatible programs? If so, there are lots of apps that do, but I'm not so sure about music makers. The music maker genre is pretty thin on Android overall.

If you mean to ask whether or not the tablet runs off the shelf Windows programs, the Nexus 10 doesn't run on Windows, so if a program is for Windows specifically, it's not going to run here.

Are there any differences speed wise between the 16GB and 32GB? I'm tired of waiting for the 32 to come in stock and may save myself $100 and a month's time waiting.

JCX

Are rumors of the 32 GB in stores based in any fact. Is it supposed to be in stores, or is it only available through the Play Store?

RuGalz

Are rumors of the 32 GB in stores based in any fact. Is it supposed to be in stores, or is it only available through the Play Store?

Wal-mart has price tags on the store shelves, at least the ones by me, whether they actually got any shipment is another story.

I went to my closest Wal-Mart and they didn't have ANY android tablets. They had an iPad and about 4 laptops and that was about it.

Pretty lame electronics section, even my Fred Meyer sells the Nexus 7.

tokkun

They announced availability of the tablet at Walmart, but as far as I can tell, no stores have actually received it and it's not visible on their website. Staples has it listed on their site, however, their quoted ship date is around Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom