• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 13 |OT| This is not the Greatest NFL Thread it's Only a Tribute

Pepiope

LOL at Schwartz refusing to answer questions after games. I really do almost feel bad for Doug. It really must suck to have your GM making roster moves without even consulting you, and the DC just leaves Doug out there to take all the shit from the media.
That article makes it seem like our defense sucks and we didn't just go up against one of the best QBs in football.

kmag

LOL at Schwartz refusing to answer questions after games. I really do almost feel bad for Doug. It really must suck to have your GM making roster moves without even consulting you, and the DC just leaves Doug out there to take all the shit from the media.

And there has been a mounting pile of evidence that he's lacking in situational coaching.

Definitely from the Andy Reid tree then.

effzee

We all knew what this was from the start.

Chip got fired not for the crazy moves (weren't that crazy really) but because he couldn't play nice with Howie who is untouchable or give a shit about a holiday party.

They went with Doug, who was like #5 on their list of candidates, because he was a safe pick who could possibly be Reid 2.0.

Howie controlled who the DC would be, who the talent will be, and he runs the FO from top to bottom. Doug just goes along with what he is provided.

Now to Doug's credit, I think he has done a far better job than expected. Certainly better than I did. Reich and he work well and overall I am pleased with how the offense has looked, especially Wentz.

Now does he rely too much on the pass? Clock management issues? Yes and Yes. But I'd say he is the least of the problems right now.

Right now the Eagles at least have a QB who they can build around. They need help at OLINE (LT, C, and depth) and the skill positions. I like Mathews and hold out hope Agholor and DGB can be a good set of 3 and 4 WRs but they need a clear cut #1. Alshon in the off-season should be a top priority.

The D I am perplexed by but really it comes down to scheme and being overrated at certain positions. Graham, Cox, and Logan are good to great starters, but they need a pass rusher opposite Graham. I really like Barwin but he doesn't fit in a 4-3 as a DE and has all but disappeared this season. If they can bolster the line, the CB play should improve automatically.

Still need a stud in the secondary. Nolan Corral should ideally be your 2nd or 3rd best corner. Not your starter across an oft-injured McKelvin or a 7th round rookie you force into the lineup.

THAT SAID WE WINNING OUT AND MAKING THE PLAYOFFS BABY!

effzee

Definitely from the Andy Reid tree then.

Yeah like the Giants game.

He opted to go for it 3 diferent times on 4th down when they were in FG range.

That's 9 points. Then they missed a FG cause it was blocked. A total of 12 points which the Eagles needed to win.

I like an aggressive coach but the calls on those 4th downs were some of the worst I have seen.

4th and 1 - sweep play with Sproles instead of running right up the middle with Ryan Mathews.

4and 2 - QB option play designed for Wentz to try to out run JPP

Another 4th and 1 - Same exact run play for Wentz.

WTF?

Pepiope

Doug is a rooookie. He's going to Make mistakes And fuck up. Let's just hope he learns from those mistakes in year 2

Seriously what's up with Rodgers having a tent behind the bench?
What kind of tent was it? I didn't watch the game because I'm still high off of last Saturday and I don't need to have any downers from watching NFL football.

Was it like one of those tents that Bama and Ohio State has that blow up whenever a player gets hurt?

Pepiope

What kind of tent was it? I didn't watch the game because I'm still high off of last Saturday and I don't need to have any downers from watching NFL football.

Was it like one of those tents that Bama and Ohio State has that blow up whenever a player gets hurt?
You don't even look at the OP? All that hard work...

Iggles defense has one bad game and we're getting essays trying to do behavioral analysis on the head coach.

🙄

Them making the playoffs now entirely relies on both them winning out and Dallas losing out. You don't get in that position through just "one bad game"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Thanks flo!

giphy.gif

I'm at work Pep and it didn't load all the way on my screen. That looks kinda of like one of those tents, but a lot smaller. Usually they are a lot bigger and they can be put together almost instantly.

Bama developed it and I thought it was interesting. It allows players to have some privacy and talk earnestly with the team doctor. I think the Bills are one of the first teams to start using it.

cdyhybrid

Them making the playoffs now entirely relies on both them winning out and Dallas losing out. You don't get in that position through just "one bad game"
Yeah, you get there by having your previous GM/HC trade away/cut all the black players.

I dunno why people expected them to make the playoffs when they started a rookie QB in Week 1 and play in the toughest division in football this season.

Never mind all the injuries.

Hindl

Yeah like the Giants game.

He opted to go for it 3 diferent times on 4th down when they were in FG range.

That's 9 points. Then they missed a FG cause it was blocked. A total of 12 points which the Eagles needed to win.

I like an aggressive coach but the calls on those 4th downs were some of the worst I have seen.

4th and 1 - sweep play with Sproles instead of running right up the middle with Ryan Mathews.

4and 2 - QB option play designed for Wentz to try to out run JPP

Another 4th and 1 - Same exact run play for Wentz.

WTF?

I think this was a case of him being a rookie HC. Until that game he was 5/5 on 4th and short, and he had just lost a game in Dallas by being too conservative, so he over-corrected. The playcalling was baffling though.

As for your other post, Alshon is probably going to be out of our price range. There are a lot of other WR-needy teams that have way more cap space. Probably better to target the lower tier of WRs in FA like Floyd, and try to grab Corey Davis in the draft. The OL has been alright all things considered, the depth is being tested and they've held up relatively well. They did pretty decent against the Seahawks and Packers, considering 3 out of the 5 players were 2nd and 3rd stringers. And this isn't a great draft for OL, they shouldn't grab one before the 4th honestly.

And we need to draft a CB. An under the radar story that may explain part of the secondary struggles is the loss of Ron Brooks. He was below average at best, but when he went down, Jenkins moved into the slot in nickel situations, and Jaylen Watkins has been taking the safety reps. Watkins is fine as a backup, but he shouldn't be getting the extended playing time he has been. Getting a CB (probably Tabor if he is available in the 1st) would allow Mills to slot into his more natural slot corner position and allow Jenkins to return to safety. Getting a CB, RB, and WR in the 1st 3 rounds in some order would be fantastic.

Yeah, you get there by having your previous GM/HC trade away/cut all the black players.

I dunno why people expected them to make the playoffs when they started a rookie QB in Week 1 and play in the toughest division in football this season.

This was the thought before the season, but September blew things out of proportion when they came out playing as one of the best teams in football. Now everyone's thinking they regressed, when in reality the issues we thought would happen before the season started have come to pass. And apologies, there have been a lot of essays in the past few days (especially from myself), and they must be annoying to read.

Pepiope

And said rookie QB barely had any college experience. This season is going great. Minus the refs who hate us. Wentz looks like a QB, and we clearly know what we need to do this offseason. Can't ask for anything more.

Too lazy to make a new post so here:

MAH. MUTHA. FUCKEN. DOLPHINS!!!!!!
VICTORY MONDAY X 6!!!!!!

Miami has the Dolphins
The Greatest Football Team
We take the ball from goal to goal
Like no one's ever seen
We're in the air, we're on the ground
We're always in control
And when you say Miami
You're talking Super Bowl

'Cause we're the...

Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins Number One.
Yes we're the...
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins Number One

WE. DID. IT.
#FINSUP

We all knew what this was from the start.

Chip got fired not for the crazy moves (weren't that crazy really) but because he couldn't play nice with Howie who is untouchable or give a shit about a holiday party.

They went with Doug, who was like #5 on their list of candidates, because he was a safe pick who could possibly be Reid 2.0.

Howie controlled who the DC would be, who the talent will be, and he runs the FO from top to bottom. Doug just goes along with what he is provided.

Now to Doug's credit, I think he has done a far better job than expected. Certainly better than I did. Reich and he work well and overall I am pleased with how the offense has looked, especially Wentz.

Now does he rely too much on the pass? Clock management issues? Yes and Yes. But I'd say he is the least of the problems right now.

Right now the Eagles at least have a QB who they can build around. They need help at OLINE (LT, C, and depth) and the skill positions. I like Mathews and hold out hope Agholor and DGB can be a good set of 3 and 4 WRs but they need a clear cut #1. Alshon in the off-season should be a top priority.

The D I am perplexed by but really it comes down to scheme and being overrated at certain positions. Graham, Cox, and Logan are good to great starters, but they need a pass rusher opposite Graham. I really like Barwin but he doesn't fit in a 4-3 as a DE and has all but disappeared this season. If they can bolster the line, the CB play should improve automatically.

Still need a stud in the secondary. Nolan Corral should ideally be your 2nd or 3rd best corner. Not your starter across an oft-injured McKelvin or a 7th round rookie you force into the lineup.

THAT SAID WE WINNING OUT AND MAKING THE PLAYOFFS BABY!

LOL, you are so on point. One thing I think they seriously might need to consider is a different DC. We will see how it goes going forward but the D has been in seriously decline from the first few weeks and Schwartz does not seem to have any answers. Playing the DBs so far off the line against Rodgers was insane.

That article makes it seem like our defense sucks and we didn't just go up against one of the best QBs in football.

5 sacks in the last 6 games. The Skins had no trouble at all pressuring Rodgers and our D is supposed to be so much better. I cant remember the last good game the D had. Lions clowned them in the first half, the Skins moved the ball on them at will, they couldnt stop the Cowboys in the 4th quarter, Giants scored a bunch and also moved the ball at will. People got so giddy off the first 3 games, and Pittsburgh especially, but this D is not anything special at all.

MechDX

Houstons offense is a dumpster fire lead by a giraffe.

Meanwhile:

Tom Savage ‏@TomSavage03 15h15 hours ago
Nothing really tests your holiday spirit like untangling Christmas lights.

2192148024_688d0eb741_o.gif

This fact really makes me question Football Outsiders. How can this Ravens run D be better than the 2000 Ravens run D? I've watched both, and it's not even close.

30_lfw_instory.jpg

In Justin Tucker news, he was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Pepiope

We switched from a 34 to a 43 and we were holding teams to under 10 ppg at home before Monday. The D is doing fine. Weaknesses at CB are being exposed, but we knew that was a problem coming into this season. Can't get to the QB if he's getting rid of the ball quickly to negate a pass rush.

Fox318

And then fuck up even that when his replacement signs RG3 or Cutler in the offseason

The jets will trade up and coming WR Enunwa and 1st round pick Leonard Williams to the Cowboys for Tony Romo after the Owner wants to win now because he wants to sit next to Trump at the White House for photos.

Romo will get hurt and then the jets will be left again with no lockeroom culture and a coach in Todd Bowles who doesn't seem to understand what a head coach does.

We switched from a 34 to a 43 and we were holding teams to under 10 ppg at home before Monday. The D is doing fine. Weaknesses at CB are being exposed, but we knew that was a problem coming into this season. Can't get to the QB if he's getting rid of the ball quickly to negate a pass rush.

Dont worry everything is fine:

iraqi-information-minister.jpg

Striker

This fact really makes me question Football Outsiders. How can this Ravens run D be better than the 2000 Ravens run D? I've watched both, and it's not even close.

In Justin Tucker news, he was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
They've allowed 50 more total yards compared to the '00 defense but bigger difference is turnovers ('00 BAL defense had 26 fumble recoveries and 20+ int's). TItans D that year was also crazy good.

cdyhybrid

I think this was a case of him being a rookie HC. Until that game he was 5/5 on 4th and short, and he had just lost a game in Dallas by being too conservative, so he over-corrected. The playcalling was baffling though.

As for your other post, Alshon is probably going to be out of our price range. There are a lot of other WR-needy teams that have way more cap space. Probably better to target the lower tier of WRs in FA like Floyd, and try to grab Corey Davis in the draft. The OL has been alright all things considered, the depth is being tested and they've held up relatively well. They did pretty decent against the Seahawks and Packers, considering 3 out of the 5 players were 2nd and 3rd stringers. And this isn't a great draft for OL, they shouldn't grab one before the 4th honestly.

And we need to draft a CB. An under the radar story that may explain part of the secondary struggles is the loss of Ron Brooks. He was below average at best, but when he went down, Jenkins moved into the slot in nickel situations, and Jaylen Watkins has been taking the safety reps. Watkins is fine as a backup, but he shouldn't be getting the extended playing time he has been. Getting a CB (probably Tabor if he is available in the 1st) would allow Mills to slot into his more natural slot corner position and allow Jenkins to return to safety. Getting a CB, RB, and WR in the 1st 3 rounds in some order would be fantastic.

This was the thought before the season, but September blew things out of proportion when they came out playing as one of the best teams in football. Now everyone's thinking they regressed, when in reality the issues we thought would happen before the season started have come to pass. And apologies, there have been a lot of essays in the past few days (especially from myself), and they must be annoying to read.
I don't actually mind, just giving y'all a hard time :p

Fox318

For all those picks Hinkie had why the fuck did he cheapen out when somebody like fucking Isiah Thomas was out on the market? Did he really need another fucking center that badly? What did he think that some team was gonna trade him somebody like Cousins or

Or hey why not have some vets on the team to help teach the younger players things about the league that go outside of the stat sheet?

Its not just that he wasn't trying to win he wasn't trying to build. Plus when free agents like Porzingus are fucking ducking you at the draft how the fuck does he think free agents are gonna wanna join? Because he built a training center with a barber shop?

Or what about not having the fucking balls to talk to the press after your player starts fights fans?

I fucking couldn't stand him and I couldn't stand his fans. Yeah he exploited a weakness in the draft and tried to build a stockpile but it left him with jack shit and it probably scared cable providers about signing deals with NBA teams.

Top Bottom