• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 14 |OT| You Don't Own Me

RBH

6ATgIHo.png

cUaxw7N.png

Thank you for preventing my aneurysm

I hope your team wins this weekend!
We actually might... that's the scary part..

This year.. this goddamn year..

Will F be NFL poster of the year like how Trump is Time man of the year?
So you're saying that I should run for president? I never thought about running for president...

Fitting comparison!
Just because I like KFC doesn't mean I'm a fascist

They have fantasy golf? How would that work...
Lowest total strokes win?

squicken

I haven't really been paying attention the Eagles this year beyond what I see nationally, so I had no idea Cox was having such a bad season

The initial assessment was: Approval. The cap is rising every year, and getting a star at a fixed price is smart business. It’s also something on which the Eagles have always prided themselves. They rarely let their guys hit the open market, which is why they usually have a great cap situation. And Cox fit the mold, having shown flashes of being a game-changing force on the defensive line and thus giving the franchise the confidence to offer him a six-year, $102.6 million extension.

The Hindsight Machine says: Paying stars only makes sense if they keep playing like stars, and Cox hasn’t.

qXB4OHX.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
uKX4JAA.gif

Yeah that's the kind of golf I could get interested in

Also way better than that soccer player chick golf gif

He's getting constantly doubled leaving everyone else in a one on one situation. He's not having a bad year.

Man you will defend anything Eagles related. Unless no team in the league ever thought to double team him before, he is most definitely having a bad season. Crazy that the Eagles spent more money in the offseason then any team in the league and yet they are going to win fewer games this year then last year.

#ChipDaGawd

Hindl

I haven't really been paying attention the Eagles this year beyond what I see nationally, so I had no idea Cox was having such a bad season

He's not

Not all quarterback pressures (hurries, hits, and sacks combined) are created equal, but they are a far better measure of effecting the quarterback than a simple sack total. When looking at all defensive interior players, Cox ranks third in pass-rushing productivity (pressures on a per-snap basis) at 9.9 percent, and has 41 total pressures (third-most among NFL DTs this season).

In Week 5 Fletcher Cox destroyed Lions G Larry Warford so quickly that all Matthew Stafford could do is duck, but Vinny Curry racked up the sack and credit.
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

This play will mainly be remembered for Curry’s sack. However, when evaluating a defensive player, it’s important to understand that plays like these are still very significant in determining production, as Cox did most of the work.

This season, Cox has recorded 13 run stops, which even on a per-snap basis, is just 19th (7.1 percent) among NFL defensive tackles alone. Therefore, on the surface, his low tackle number (24 combined, by PFF’s count) makes it seem like he hasn’t been productive.

Here’s an example—from Week 12’s encounter with the Packers—of Cox moving Corey Linsley, a perennial top-10-graded center, 5 yards into the backfield, forcing RB James Starks to move around, and giving Cox’s teammates an opportunity to make a play.
ezgif.com-optimize-1.gif

Simply put—and contrary to popular sentiment around his performance this season—Fletcher Cox has been a very-good-turned-dominant player for a number of seasons now, without any sort of significant drop in play this season. In fact, Cox is among the three-highest-graded interior defenders in the league entering Week 13, just behind Aaron Donald and Calais Campbell, respectively.

Cox is having a good season. Brandon Graham is having such a good season because he lines up next to Cox and just has to beat one guy. The real fault of the line is the left side, especially Vinny Curry and Connor Barwin. They and occasionally Bennie Logan aren't beating 1 on 1 matchups, even against some frankly terrible OLs. Teams can just either do quick passes to neutralize the pass rush, or just run plays to the left side of the line and be fine. The problem isn't Cox, he's only 2 sacks behind Donald. And maybe this is just the homer in me but I'd say two of those roughing the passer calls were ticky tacky.

Fox318

Bowles told media of QB change before he told Fitzpatrick

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 7, 2016, 9:32 AM EST
Generated by IJG JPEG Library
Getty Images
When Jets coach Todd Bowles decided that Ryan Fitzpatrick was finished as the team’s starting quarterback, he didn’t tell Fitzpatrick first.

Instead, Bowles made the announcement to the media after Monday night’s loss to the Colts. Only after that did Bowles talk to Fitzpatrick about it.

“I’d been meaning to talk to him and I got tied up with a few things,” Bowles said of the failure to inform Fitzpatrick.

Some players might have responded to that by blasting their coach, but Fitzpatrick was measured in his comments to the media, which Bowles seemed to appreciate.

“I probably could’ve and he tried to cover for me,” Bowles said on Tuesday. “Like I said, I had a lot on my mind and got some things off my chest, and it kind of went over the wrong way. I’ll talk to him tomorrow.”

On the long list of things that have gone wrong for the Jets this year, a miscommunication on a quarterback change is not near the top. But it’s still not a good look: Bowles should have let Fitzpatrick know he was benched.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...edia-of-qb-change-before-he-told-fitzpatrick/

What a fucking spinless smuck.

You bench your starting QB whom you INSISTED on starting because he "gave you the best chance to win". Then don't have the fucking chutzpah to fucking tell him first? He came out at the press conference like it was all decided EVEN BEFORE THE FUCKING GAME.

I honestly hope Woody doesn't let him back on the plane after they play the 49ers.

Let him pay for his own flight back.

They have Saints twice, Cowboys, and panthers..

I hate to say it... I think they might do it...
I am fighting a decade of instincts and expectations. The Chiefs win didn't surprise me, but I was positive that we'd get our classic let down game and get pounded by the Seahawks. Then I was sure they'd punish me for starting to believe by getting creamed by a good QB on the west coast, that game started out as a perfect template for an awful game, a game I have seen many times in the past, but we actually won the damn thing.

Now I'm legitimately starting to beleive, but I feel like Brees is gonna have one of those games. I don't know how to expect wins. Just last year we dismantled the Eagles in Philly, were in the hunt at 6-6 and took a dump the rest of the year.

Gigglepoo

I mean, I thought we had a legit chance to beat Chicago too (although I should've known better since it was on the road).

I cannot believe the Niners stayed out East (after playing in Miami) but practiced in Orlando instead of a place with a climate closer to Chicago's. How assinine can you get?

Top Bottom