• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 3 |OT| An Epidemic of "Leakyolinitus" has Broken Out

foppy79

h4WTyWR.png
Vr Football, you say?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Cleveland Browns will have their day in the sun. Need I remind you all, that less than a decade ago the Detroit Lions went 0-16, were the punchline of every joke and had still to find a franchise Quarterback to overcome "The Curse of Bobby Layne."

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — He took a step back before he leaned forward, and it almost turned disastrous. Maybe in years past it would have. What with the Curse of Bobby Layne and all.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/09/19/detroit-lions-new-york-giants/679894001/

The stars have aligned as such that we drafted Matthew Stafford, who went to the same high school as Bobby Layne. I have made extensive posts in the past about the Curse of Bobby Layne but this Bleacher Report article summarizes it:

The Curse of Bobby Layne: It Ends with Stafford
If The Detroit Lions are superstitious in any way, they should draft Matthew Stafford.

Throw the tapes out, forget the combine, forget his attitude, and consider the following: Bobby Layne was the last quarterback to succeed in Detroit, and although The Curse of Bobby Layne doesn't possess the notoriety of say, the Curse of the Billy Goat, it still exists.

You may find yourself asking, ”What does this have to do with Matthew Stafford?"

That's a good question.

Matt Stafford attended the same high school as Bobby Layne: Highland Park High School in Dallas. It had been the same number of years between the Lions' last championship and Highland Park's until Stafford marched them back to the Promised Land.

As for how this pertains to Detroit, upon being traded to the Steelers, Layne claimed that his old team wouldn't win again for 50 years. That was 50 years ago.

It's now or never for Detroit. If they don't grab Stafford, he will forever be remembered in Lions lore as the one that truly did get away, regardless of how his career turns out.

There is no predicting how Stafford's career will play out, but if you're superstitious, then you best believe that he is the savior.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/128591-the-curse-of-bobby-layne-it-ends-with-stafford

The Browns are still rebuilding, and as the Lions have shown since 2009 these things take time. I still urge my Cleveland brethren to support the Detroit Lions in this time as I have no doubt that most Lions fans will return that support when the Browns have their time in the spotlight in two-three years time.

As of right now though it is the Detroit Lions time and the rest of the league is on notice.

JABEE

Kas is the true king of NFL GAF
He always was, we were just too foolish to see the truth.

Stafford is the best QB in the NFL and the Lions are going to the Super Bowl.

The Packers bias of this thread clouded our judgement and prevented us from seeing what was always there.

Matthew Stafford is a true champion; the largest figure in our game.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
LAR @ SF
BAL @ JAX (London)
DEN @ BUF
PIT @ CHI
NO @ CAR
TB @ MIN
CLE @ IND - I just can't becleve...yet
MIA @ NYJ
HOU @ NE
ATL @ DET
NYG @ PHI
SEA @ TEN
KC @ LAC
CIN @ GB
OAK @ WAS
DAL @ ARI

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Kas is the true king of NFL GAF

I am nothing and nobody.

Everything I've gone through in life all lead up to a simple realization over a year ago- That God is real. And it's not some made up God at an AA meeting or someone's agnostic God. God is Elohim, Yahweh, Allah, the God of Israel. God Is Real. And God is Good.

When I've told you I had God given talent at football I was not joking. From the time I was in 5th grade, I just knew how to play Defensive End (on defense) and Tight End (on offense). A lot of skills I learned in basketball and soccer translated naturally onto the football field but there was never one coach who taught me how to play football, I just knew. It was natural.

If you got in the way of my 6'5, 190 lb frame you were going to regret it. I played fierce too and I was never scared. It did not matter if you were from Pasadena, South Gate or Orange County, I knew I was a better player than you and that's how I played. There were always guys on my team or other teams who could bench more, squat more but if you don't know how to hit, or are even scared for a second, it doesn't matter. I would relish the sound my helmet would make when I hit someone and hear the silent "ugh" as I tackled them. Had I actually taken the weight room seriously, and at least hit 220 lbs, I would've probably been All California. Pac 10 was an almost certainty, if not Pac 10, somewhere like Fresno State. I was not disciplined and did not take one class in particular serious in high school so I would have to go to Community College.

But I also did not acknowledge God's existence. I sometimes believed agnostically, but I would waver and at times actually cursed God's name and mocked God. I truly believe that had I acknowledged God's existence and thanked him for all the blessings he gave me, I would've played in the NFL. Not just a Div. 1 scholarship.

I actually remember one time in this thread (I think before the Ravens-Lions 2013 MNF game) making a post akin to "Hah look at them praying to God after a Touchdown, Hah why would God care about they're prayer hurrdurr."

And before Xia gets on me: "well how does this pertain to the NFL?"

Well....The Curse of Bobby Lane, Tim Tebow, the Evil Patriots...I don't know man. When the Patriots first won the Super Bowl the year after 9/11 in 2002, there is no way I could have envisioned just how perfectly evil they became. As if someone wrote a script.

A lot of it is good fun though, and I think the reason most people turn away from God is because they're scared for one reason or another. Read your Torah, Bible, Qu'ran, Book of Mormon...whatever...there is God's beauty in all of them. The way I try to worship God is acknowledging his existence, thanking him for everything and being a good person. That's it.

Slo

You know what Barry Sanders and Jesus had in common? They both retired in their early 30s.

Too soon?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
You know what Barry Sanders and Jesus had in common? They both retired in their early 30s.

Too soon?

God loves you too Slo. He loves all, and I'll leave it at that.

If there were a hypothetical "King of NFLGAF" it would be Ninja Scooter.

effzee

It's Joe Giglio, Eliot Shorr-Parks and Matt Lombardo. Not sure how reliable they are. But it sounded more like what they think will happen based off the bills shopping shady and Howie being desperate to undo every move chip made.

They aren't reliable whatsoever. They come up with hypotheticals all the time for clicks.

And why would Buffalo do this now when they could have in the off season?

JABEE

Looks like Malcolm Jenkins, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, and Michael Bennett are reaching out directly to the NFL to turn the protests into actionable progress.

The players are asking for a Unity Month like the league already has a Breast Cancer Awareness/Military month.

They are also asking for lobbying resources and support from the league and owners.

Seems like a pretty reasonable approach to turning the NFL's PR nightmares into a good story for the league. We will see how the NFL responds.

This in conjunction with the video today of Goodell, Lurie, and Jenkins along with other Eagles players visiting non-profits/PPD to talk about criminal justice reform.

This seems to be outside the Player's Association's official stance or lack of stance, but maybe the NFL will respond to this with earnest care.

https://sports.yahoo.com/memo-4-players-sent-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-030818178.html

I am nothing and nobody.

Everything I've gone through in life all lead up to a simple realization over a year ago- That God is real. And it's not some made up God at an AA meeting or someone's agnostic God. God is Elohim, Yahweh, Allah, the God of Israel. God Is Real. And God is Good.

When I've told you I had God given talent at football I was not joking. From the time I was in 5th grade, I just knew how to play Defensive End (on defense) and Tight End (on offense). A lot of skills I learned in basketball and soccer translated naturally onto the football field but there was never one coach who taught me how to play football, I just knew. It was natural.

If you got in the way of my 6'5, 190 lb frame you were going to regret it. I played fierce too and I was never scared. It did not matter if you were from Pasadena, South Gate or Orange County, I knew I was a better player than you and that's how I played. There were always guys on my team or other teams who could bench more, squat more but if you don't know how to hit, or are even scared for a second, it doesn't matter. I would relish the sound my helmet would make when I hit someone and hear the silent "ugh" as I tackled them. Had I actually taken the weight room seriously, and at least hit 220 lbs, I would've probably been All California. Pac 10 was an almost certainty, if not Pac 10, somewhere like Fresno State. I was not disciplined and did not take one class in particular serious in high school so I would have to go to Community College.

But I also did not acknowledge God's existence. I sometimes believed agnostically, but I would waver and at times actually cursed God's name and mocked God. I truly believe that had I acknowledged God's existence and thanked him for all the blessings he gave me, I would've played in the NFL. Not just a Div. 1 scholarship.

I actually remember one time in this thread (I think before the Ravens-Lions 2013 MNF game) making a post akin to "Hah look at them praying to God after a Touchdown, Hah why would God care about they're prayer hurrdurr."

Well....The Curse of Bobby Lane, Tim Tebow, the Evil Patriots...I don't know man. When the Patriots first won the Super Bowl the year after 9/11 in 2002, there is no way I could have envisioned just how perfectly evil they became. As if someone wrote a script.

A lot of it is good fun though, and I think the reason most people turn away from God is because they're scared for one reason or another. Read your Torah, Bible, Qu'ran, Book of Mormon...whatever...there is God's beauty in all of them. The way I try to worship God is acknowledging his existence, thanking him for everything and being a good person. That's it.

AN0Qy7t.gif

Tom Penny

I am nothing and nobody.

Dropping knowledge. Stake Woke.

Top Bottom