• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 3 |OT| An Epidemic of "Leakyolinitus" has Broken Out

K-Gun

College spread offense is destroying the NFL.

NFL wanted a passing league, they got it. It put asses in the seats. Things evolved, you want your most athletic big men on DL, have to get after the QB. Left over big men get put on the OL. DL talent will be better than OL. Years ago your DL were primarily run stuffers, the Ted Washington's. Now you're looking for the next Sapp or Donald.

Easy to blame college, but spread was a way to combat power house programs.

Jeff-DSA

NFL wanted a passing league, they got it. It put asses in the seats. Things evolved, you want your most athletic big men on DL, have to get after the QB. Left over big men get put on the OL. DL talent will be better than OL. Years ago your DL were primarily run stuffers, the Ted Washington's. Now you're looking for the next Sapp or Donald.

I blame Tom Brady.

cdyhybrid

Yup. Pro offensive coaches need to figure it out, college coaches did.

Markets gonna fix this I think, but it will take time. OL are going to be the highest paid players in the next few years. A left tackle was already a super expensive position, but the price is gonna go up. I think OL players coming up on free agency after this season are in for huge contracts. More people will want to play OL in college once that happens. It'll start to be a glory position.

Bread

Banned
For Trump being president.
For the rise in white supremacy.
For spygate.
For deflategate.
For wanting to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

Tom Brady can be blamed for many things that are wrong with the world today.
for yankee being a crybaby

Rvaan

Banned
For spygate.
For deflategate.

For Eli Manning going to the Hall of Fame.

Markets gonna fix this I think, but it will take time. OL are going to be the highest paid players in the next few years. A left tackle was already a super expensive position, but the price is gonna go up. I think OL players coming up on free agency after this season are in for huge contracts. More people will want to play OL in college once that happens. It'll start to be a glory position.

2018 free agent list: http://nfltraderumors.co/2018-nfl-free-agents-list/

A lot of average OL gonna get paid. also wow RB is a wasteland. I was hoping that the Eagles could sign a good back but it doesn't seem very likely now.

K-Gun

Look at some recent (10 years) super bowl winners and see who started at LT. Some absolute trash tackles will be on that list. Teams won without stud tackles. Now we're crying because teams cant protect QBs. Can't have everything in life.

Edit: Look at the losers too, same shit.

You don't want to sign a RB anyway. It's not a position you want to sink a lot of money into when you can get decent ones in the mid-rounds of the draft.

BLG had a great post the other day about that. The Eagles under Howie has sunk a ton of mid round picks on RBs and none of them have panned out. It is time to dedicate real resources to the position to try and shore it up.

Hindl

BLG had a great post the other day about that. The Eagles under Howie has sunk a ton of mid round picks on RBs and none of them have panned out. It is time to dedicate real resources to the position to try and shore it up.

Depending on how the draft shakes out, I'd take a RB in the first for 2018. Or, if the Eagles somehow make it to the playoffs and have a mid-20s pick, trade out of the 1st for more picks and pick a RB at the top of the 2nd

For spygate.
For deflategate.

For ugg boots
For fake science nutrition products

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
The steelers are facing a team they have no business losing to this week. Time for a "surprise" loss as Tomlin fails to hype them up at all for it

Depending on how the draft shakes out, I'd take a RB in the first for 2018. Or, if the Eagles somehow make it to the playoffs and have a mid-20s pick, trade out of the 1st for more picks and pick a RB at the top of the 2nd

I'd be down with that. An RB, an LB, and another S. Are probably the priorities.

Tom Penny

O line have the highest success rate in the draft. Teams have been drafting shit QB and skill players over them for years and wonder why their offense blows.

Hindl

I'd be down with that. An RB, an LB, and another S. Are probably the priorities.
I'd slot in OT/G above S. Vaitai is still an unknown and shoring up the OL is never a bad thing, but yeah. I'd probably say OL == RB > LB > S
O line have the highest success rate in the draft. Teams have been drafting shit QB and skill players over them for years and wonder why their offense blows.
O Line is not the slam dunk it used to be. Overall it has the highest success rate, but you shrink it down to the last 3-4 years and top OL have been busting a lot

K-Gun

Define "success rate." I see a ton of 1st round misses ever year at OL. They're not locks

RBH

giphy.gif
CDNHenP.jpg

:)

I'd slot in OT/G above S. Vaitai is still an unknown and shoring up the OL is never a bad thing, but yeah. I'd probably say OL == RB > LB > S

Eh, I dunno. Vaitai played ok at RT in spells last year. They've also got Dillon Gordon on the roster who they are super high on. I wouldn't put OL on the same tier as RB, but it's definitely something you can't go wrong with drafting. Seumalo is struggling this year though, so you do have to wonder. I think they might try to cut ties with Kelce next season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up some more late round OL players.

Hindl

Eh, I dunno. Vaitai played ok at RT in spells last year. They've also got Dillon Gordon on the roster who they are super high on. I wouldn't put OL on the same tier as RB, but it's definitely something you can't go wrong with drafting. Seumalo is struggling this year though, so you do have to wonder. I think they might try to cut ties with Kelce next season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they picked up some more late round OL players.

In general I'd agree, but Vaitai did alright once Doug kept making TEs and RBs chip block on their way out to the routes. He did ok but the offense was limited. Vaitai is a good swing tackle who can step in for a game or two, but I'm not sure he can be a starter. And I have hope for Seumalo, but he's been pretty weak so far. I agree that they're moving on from Kelce next year, but I'd assume Seumalo goes to C and next up at G is Chance Warmack, and that could go any way. I generally think that given equal prospects, we need OL more than we need a RB. But given 2018 is another great RB class and eh OL class, first round BPA will probably be a RB

I'm willing to give Seumalo the benefit of the doubt but that really was a piss poor showing. If he doesn't step up in the next game or two it will probably be time to give someone else a shot.

On todays BGN radio podcast they said that he gave up 3 sacks against KC and several more pressures. Eagles should have kept Barbre.

Pepiope

On todays BGN radio podcast they said that he gave up 3 sacks against KC and several more pressures. Eagles should have kept Barbre.
They like Chance. They have Wiz, and Seumalo is projected to be the future C anyway. I was sure Kelce would've been traded by now, but it hasn't happened.

Hindl

They like Chance. They have Wiz, and Seumalo is projected to be the future C anyway. I was sure Kelce would've been traded by now, but it hasn't happened.
I think they wanted an experienced Center calling out the assignments for Wentz' year 2 to make it easier for him. Next year Kelce's probably out of here. But I agree with Yankee, should've kept Barbre at least as a reserve

It's sort of a hindsight 20/20 thing in this case I think. Seumalo was really strong last season in his chances. He's clearly missing assignments and having technique issues so far this season. Look at the run play he got ragdolled on. He got stood straight up on that play and lost all leverage. He needs to stay low, be assignment sound, and make sure he knows where his help is and not to overly rely on that help. On plays where he thinks he has help and doesn't get it he's not able to recover at all. He needs to be able to do SOMETHING in those situations. I think he's got a shot to put it together. I also don't think it's something Joe Douglas could have foreseen when he was evaluating Seumalo.

Still, at the end of the day Barbre would be doing a better job so you're not wrong.

Hindl

It's sort of a hindsight 20/20 thing in this case I think. Seumalo was really strong last season in his chances. He's clearly missing assignments and having technique issues so far this season. Look at the run play he got ragdolled on. He got stood straight up on that play and lost all leverage. He needs to stay low, be assignment sound, and make sure he knows where his help is and not to overly rely on that help. On plays where he thinks he has help and doesn't get it he's not able to recover at all. He needs to be able to do SOMETHING in those situations. I think he's got a shot to put it together. I also don't think it's something Joe Douglas could have foreseen when he was evaluating Seumalo.

Still, at the end of the day Barbre would be doing a better job so you're not wrong.
Joe Douglas didn't evaluate Seumalo. He came on after the 2016 draft

Counting down to the inevitable defensive mutiny in the Giants locker room. The defense gave up 19 points in Game 1. 17 points last night. How much more do you want a defense to do at that point?

There's no help coming on the offensive line. They can shuffle and hope for the best. They can scheme (something McAdoo hasn't proven adept at doing the past two years) and even bring some folks up from the bench and give them a shot. The problem is that Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg can't play every position on the line and right now - they are the only players worth keeping either on the roster or in the position they are playing.

Eli is declining and doesn't have the mobility to hide their issues anymore and he's playing like he has PTSD right now. Zero confidence which when your head coach does some of the shit he did last - why would you have any anyways?

Also - LMAO at Giants scoring over 30 points against the Eagles.

I know Lurie has said multiple times that he keeps a book on every move the team makes and if it works out or not. I have always wondered if that puts the GM, whoever it is at the time, in a position where they push to have the guys that they drafted play.

Duxxy3

I'm actually a little tired of the NFL as a passing league. I prefer more of a balanced NFL. I love seeing a good running game. Love seeing a player bust through tackles and rumble into the end zone. Love seeing third and short run plays.

Top Bottom