• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 3 |OT| An Epidemic of "Leakyolinitus" has Broken Out

Tom Penny

Counting down to the inevitable defensive mutiny in the Giants locker room. The defense gave up 19 points in Game 1. 17 points last night. How much more do you want a defense to do at that point?

There's no help coming on the offensive line. They can shuffle and hope for the best. They can scheme (something McAdoo hasn't proven adept at doing the past two years) and even bring some folks up from the bench and give them a shot. The problem is that Justin Pugh and Weston Richburg can't play every position on the line and right now - they are the only players worth keeping either on the roster or in the position they are playing.

Eli is declining and doesn't have the mobility to hide their issues anymore and he's playing like he has PTSD right now. Zero confidence which when your head coach does some of the shit he did last - why would you have any anyways?

Also - LMAO at Giants scoring over 30 points against the Eagles.
Too many points. They averaged 15 a game in his playoffs wins. Can't expect the offense to have to score 20 points and win games.

Joe Douglas didn't evaluate Seumalo. He came on after the 2016 draft

No, but as I understand it he does all talent evaluation to see what the team has and needs then makes recommendations to Howie as to who to sign, release, trade for, etc. That would mean he evaluated Seumalo this offseason and said "we don't need Barbre because Seumalo looks solid". That's how I understood the organizational structure.

effzee

I'm willing to give Seumalo the benefit of the doubt but that really was a piss poor showing. If he doesn't step up in the next game or two it will probably be time to give someone else a shot.

He was horrible. I shit on Pederson but had the players actually executed the plays he did call, I saw tons of green grass in front of them and they never took advantage.

I am so worried about the Giants game. I just have a terrible feeling the Eagles will be talked up and favored and the Giants are going to be claimed "dead", only to have the Giants rebound big.

Hindl

What are the injury updates on McLeod and Watkins? Def out this Sun?

If so, this is huge. Giants going to eat.

They most likely will be, and they most likely will not eat. Watkins sucks ass, Douglas is already better than him. McLeod is a loss but they don't have a great TE and the deep safety only really matters for deep routes and if a RB gets to the second level. The Giants rely solely on shallow crosses and slants and have no running game to speak of. They won't go nuts unless you think the Eagles pass rush (and defense in general) is exponentially worse than the Cowboys. And again, 8 straight games under 20 points. One of those games was against a Dom Capers defense

Pepiope

What are the injury updates on McLeod and Watkins? Def out this Sun?

If so, this is huge. Giants going to eat.
Who cares about Watkins tbh, but McLeod will be GTD I think.

Jimmy Kempski‏ @JimmyKempski
Carson Wentz has been hit 19 times this season, most in the NFL.

This has to stop.

Hindl

This has to stop.
He also has among the most dropbacks and holds onto the ball too long. For all the shit the OL is getting in the run game, they did decent in pass pro. Wentz was just holding onto the ball for 5+ seconds too much

This has to stop.

Dougie just needs to dial up even more pass plays, that will fix everything.

effzee

LOL @ Watkins being bad. He is a good backup and flexible enough to play both S and CB.

They need him with Darby and McLeod out.

Hindl

LOL @ Watkins being bad. He is a good backup and flexible enough to play both S and CB.

They need him with Darby and McLeod out.
Watkins sucks ass. Our defense fell apart last year because Brooks went down forcing Jenkins into the slot. Watkins was the next Safety up and was out of position so many times. A large majority of those deep pass plays the Eagles gave up last year can be pinned on Watkins.

Nafai1123

Banned
ze5rdqmj8pblqcztmeef.jpg

This is your daily reminder that Hoyer is a starter in the NFL and Kaep doesn't have a job.

Carson Wentz on an Andrew Luck pace:

Wentz is second all time in pass attempts by a quarterback in his first 18 games (692), just one shy of Luck. It's one thing to empower a young, promising quarterback and another thing entirely to put him in harm's way by constantly dropping him back. As has been the case with Luck in Indianapolis, the Eagles haven't had a steady run game to lean on in Wentz's brief career, so they've gone pass-heavy. Wentz had 46 pass attempts on Sunday and is averaging 38 attempts per game in the pros. The run game is a weak spot, no doubt, but Wentz's development should be this organization's No. 1 priority. Darren Sproles averaged 4.8 yards per carry vs. Kansas City, so it's not like the ground game was totally stagnant. Even if it were, coach Doug Pederson has to do better by Wentz and pound the rock more.

effzee

I still maintain that Kap is a bad quarterback who really shouldn't be starter.

But evidence like this really makes me consider changing that opinion.

Your opinion is baffling when guys like Hoyer have had lucrative careers sucking at every stop and keep getting chances to play and start.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is where I remind LionsGAF last year they started 9-4

I remember, and even then was saying they weren't that good. The early schedule was garbage.

This year they've played the Cardinals and Giants. That still may mean nothing.

I have no idea how anyone can still think this.

I saw a stat yesterday that said at least 19 teams currently have a starting QB with a worse rating than Kaep had last year

Least surprising thing, both that and the fact that people will still ignore it and other stats because "well surely he's not unemployed for the BLM thing, so he must just be bad at QBing!!!"

Cassel had as many good years at QB as Kaep had bad years (1)

6 teams gave Cassel chances, but sure let's not give Kaep a second chance

Nafai1123

Banned

He could be a bad QB and STILL be better than several starters in the league right now, let alone backups.

More proof: Josh McCown is a starting QB for the Jets. 38 years old with a 18-44 record in starts.

linkboy

Outside of 2015 when he was clearly hurt, Colin's stats have been pretty consistent across his career

He's the type of QB who needs to be in the proper system, but he's clearly better then a QB like Hoyer.

Hell, I'd take Alex Smith back in SF in a heartbeat. Hoyer's bringing me back to the days of JT O'Sullivan, Tim Rattay and the dreck of QB's they had from the day Jeff Garcia was released to when Harbaugh showed up.

Fuck Brian Hoyer.

Teams where Kaep would be an obvious upgrade over the current starter;

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jags
Indy (Until Luck returns)
Giants
Bears
Vikings (Until Bradford is cleared)
Cards
49ers

He's also not decidedly worse (not necessarily better either) than Flacco and Tyrod. He would be guaranteed the first backup on every team except the Pats and maybe the Packers depending on how good Hundley actually is. He makes TOO much sense as the Seahawks, Panthers, or Bills backup since those are all mobile QBs that Kaep can at least emulate and keep most of the offense in tact.

There's no way anybody can be genuine about Kaep not being "good enough" to play in the league. If you don't think he's that good that's fine, but you can't deny he's better than guys like McCown or Hoyer, and he's definitely better than older guys that can't go anymore like Palmer and Eli.

effzee

Watkins sucks ass. Our defense fell apart last year because Brooks went down forcing Jenkins into the slot. Watkins was the next Safety up and was out of position so many times. A large majority of those deep pass plays the Eagles gave up last year can be pinned on Watkins.

Are you related to Watkins? Only a family member could think he doesn't suck.

He sucks so much but was ahead of Douglas on the depth chart.

I mean it won't happen cause Pederson hates running the ball but man do they need a run game. I've always maintained Eagles would gave won at least 1 SB with Reid and McNabb had they ever balanced the offense.

Hindl

He sucks so much but was ahead of Douglas on the depth chart.

I mean it won't happen cause Pederson hates running the ball but man do they need a run game. I've always maintained Eagles would gave won at least 1 SB with Reid and McNabb had they ever balanced the offense.
Because Douglas is a raw rookie and they didn't want to throw him into the fire. However, once he was forced into the fire he did admirably well. I'd bet you that even when Watkins gets healthy, he won't be starting over Douglas, unless Douglas has some serious problems in the next few weeks

Afrikan

Outside of 2015 when he was clearly hurt, Colin's stats have been pretty consistent across his career

He's the type of QB who needs to be in the proper system, but he's clearly better then a QB like Hoyer.

Hell, I'd take Alex Smith back in SF in a heartbeat. Hoyer's bringing me back to the days of JT O'Sullivan, Tim Rattay and the dreck of QB's they had from the day Jeff Garcia was released to when Harbaugh showed up.

Fuck Brian Hoyer.

HEY MAN Tim Ratatat tat I think holds the record for passing yards in a game for our 9ers.

Give some respect. F, Nolan for shipping him out.

TimRattay.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Your opinion is baffling when guys like Hoyer have had lucrative careers sucking at every stop and keep getting chances to play and start.

There is context there though. I mean clearly the 49ers were done with him and Hoyer was just a cheaper stop gap. That's the case with a lot of these QBs. Like people keep bringing up how much better Kaep is than Fitzpatrick, but Fitz only commanded 3 million dollars, and a journeyman backup like him makes far more sense behind Winston than 29 year old Kaep who is still in the "prime" of his career.

Also Kaep is bad just by watching him. I know PFF is a tossup, but they argue just how bad he really is and it's pretty scathing when you look at some of their metrics. Also that famous gif of him missing the uncovered torrey smith is horrendous. A QB at 29 should see that a mile away.

cdyhybrid

There is context there though. I mean clearly the 49ers were done with him and Hoyer was just a cheaper stop gap. That's the case with a lot of these QBs. Like people keep bringing up how much better Kaep is than Fitzpatrick, but Fitz only commanded 3 million dollars, and a journeyman backup like him makes far more sense behind Winston than 29 year old Kaep who is still in the "prime" of his career.

Also Kaep is bad just by watching him. I know PFF is a tossup, but they argue just how bad he really is and it's pretty scathing when you look at some of their metrics. Also that famous gif of him missing the uncovered torrey smith is horrendous. A QB at 29 should see that a mile away.
This is a lot of words to say "I don't think he's good and don't care that half the starters in the league are worse"

Another team Kaep could start for

Scott Kacsmar ✔ @FO_ScottKacsmar
Giants: first team to go 8 games without scoring 20 points since the '14 Cardinals started Drew Stanton/Ryan Lindley

Nafai1123

Banned

This entire argument seems predicated on the idea that Kaep is too expensive, when we don't even know how how much he wants. If he wants to play, you really think he's gonna balk at 3 mil/year?

Teams where Kaep would be an obvious upgrade over the current starter;

Jets
Dolphins
Browns
Bengals
Texans
Jags
Indy (Until Luck returns)
Giants
Bears
Vikings (Until Bradford is cleared)
Cards
49ers

He's also not decidedly worse (not necessarily better either) than Flacco and Tyrod. He would be guaranteed the first backup on every team except the Pats and maybe the Packers depending on how good Hundley actually is. He makes TOO much sense as the Seahawks, Panthers, or Bills backup since those are all mobile QBs that Kaep can at least emulate and keep most of the offense in tact.

There's no way anybody can be genuine about Kaep not being "good enough" to play in the league. If you don't think he's that good that's fine, but you can't deny he's better than guys like McCown or Hoyer, and he's definitely better than older guys that can't go anymore like Palmer and Eli.

Ehhhh that's debatable, Culter knew the system already which made it easier to get him up to date a month before the season starts.

Also the problem with Kaep in Miami is him wearing/support Castro...Cubans in Miami wouldn't have hated that (With Kiko Alonso among them)

Slurmer

Banned
I wish Kaep was the Panthers backup QB. As much as the fanbase probably still hates him, he'd be totally serviceable here and a much better option than Anderson.

Draxal

Another team Kaep could start for

Scott Kacsmar ✔ @FO_ScottKacsmar
Giants: first team to go 8 games without scoring 20 points since the '14 Cardinals started Drew Stanton/Ryan Lindley

Giants signing Kaepernick would be a hate crime with their line and the teams they are playing.

Top Bottom