• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT2| My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy Draft

Any man that can work up the balls to shoot himself (in the chest especially, damn) has to be in a real tough spot. Goes against the most basic human (or animal) instincts.

Guess his brain will be looked at, hope they get some results and something good comes out of it.

eznark

Banned
Any man that can work up the balls to shoot himself (in the chest especially, damn) has to be in a real tough spot. Goes against the most basic human (or animal) instincts.

Guess his brain will be looked at, hope they can get some results and something good comes out of it.

Yeah, hopefully he had it sent to BU. They're doing incredible things in their research.

Switching gears to the Saints players. Woodley and Harrison dropped their two cents.

551995_182502085205227_100003363096802_271584_1105601005_n.jpg

I'm agreeing more and more with Ez that the NFLPA should be picking up the tab when we talk about life altering injuries. These guys obviously don't care. It's just "playing football".

eznark

Banned
Switching gears to the Saints players. Woodley and Harrison dropped their two cents.

551995_182502085205227_100003363096802_271584_1105601005_n.jpg

I'm agreeing more and more with Ez that the NFLPA should be picking up the tab when we talk about life altering injuries. These guys obviously don't care. It's just "playing football".

32 games in 2013!!

The best part is that the NFLPA hung it's whole hat on the player safety issue to stop the 18 game season. Now that players are making it blatantly obvious they give zero shits about player safety it's time to milk this bitch before the government outlaws it!

I know you guys think what happened in our locker room is an isolated incident (or at least you pretend to think that), but its not. The league is trying to break that culture in one swift motion, and honestly, I get it. We were the dumbest of the bunch unfortunately.

I hope the NFLPA just lets it go.

Smokey

Hard for me to sympathize for someone who takes their own life...especially those that have children, in this case 3. Shame Seau did that.

NFL needs to step up though. Unfortunately we will probably see more of this in the future.

Big Baybee said:
I know you guys think what happened in our locker room is an isolated incident
Nobody with a clue thinks that. Though the severity of the program (money for ACL tears?), the coaches being involved monetarily and the fact that the idiot Saints thumbed their noses at the league when they were told to stop makes for a unique situation where other teams are paying out player to player for a big hits or interceptions. The uniqueness though is mainly in how moronic the coaching staff and FO went about the whole thing.

LJ11

Still running with Bounty gate as they scramble to formulate some sort of strategy, pathetic. Spin first, report second.

Gigglepoo

I know you guys think what happened in our locker room is an isolated incident (or at least you pretend to think that), but its not. The league is trying to break that culture in one swift motion, and honestly, I get it. We were the dumbest of the bunch unfortunately.

I hope the NFLPA just lets it go.

The Saints were definitely not an isolated incident. I honestly have no idea how the league is going to look in a few years. There's really no way to make the game "safe" because it's inherently violent sport.

dschalter

The Saints were definitely not an isolated incident. I honestly have no idea how the league is going to look in a few years. There's really no way to make the game "safe" because it's inherently violent sport.

this is a bad post. there are many things that can be done to make the game much safer, even if they can't make things perfect.

Talon

Still running with Bounty gate as they scramble to formulate some sort of strategy, pathetic. Spin first, report second.
There's a reason news sites aren't running with the story now. All the facts need to be put together before you put something out there. It's lazy to put out a placeholder story there, and all we can say with confidence at this point is something along the lines of "43-year-old ex-NFL linebacker Junior Seau dead."

It's one thing for a dirtbag rumor site like TMZ to prematurely run a story. An organization like NYTimes, any ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox subsidiary, etc. would not expose itself to that sort of risk before putting the story out there.

Also, this is something most people don't realize, but there aren't that many employees at local PDs that can act as spokespersons. I guarantee you that whatever county that is has 2 maybe 3 people that's dedicated as a comm. person, and every national outlet is trying to reach them. Meanwhile, they're probably working on a statement to just send out on blast.

That's why there was a big delay for the Michael Jackson story.

eznark

Banned
Its amazing how weak the NFLPA is. Can you imagine the MLBPA being this weak?

The MLBPA is like the USSR. It's a show. In reality they are pretty weak. Look at the years of indentured servitude the players have to put up with and the failure rate of most players to ever see that big payday. MLB has been smart about strategically giving ground in order to maintain control of players salaries on the low end, where it matters, because most players don't become superstars deserving the Pujols money.

It's kabuki theater that the players union is happy to support because their margins are at the top.

Even with the restricted defensive rules now, the game is still so good. I'm interested to see how far the league will take it. Where is that breaking point?

LJ11

There's a reason news sites aren't running with the story now. All the facts need to be put together before you put something out there. It's lazy to put out a placeholder story there, and all we can say with confidence at this point is something along the lines of "43-year-old ex-NFL linebacker Junior Seau dead."

It's one thing for a dirtbag rumor site like TMZ to prematurely run a story. An organization like NYTimes, any ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox subsidiary, etc. would not expose itself to that sort of risk before putting the story out there.

Also, this is something most people don't realize, but there aren't that many employees at local PDs that can act as spokespersons. I guarantee you that whatever county that is has 2 maybe 3 people that's dedicated as a comm. person, and every national outlet is trying to reach them. Meanwhile, they're probably working on a statement to just send out on blast.

That's why there was a big delay for the Michael Jackson story.

They don't have to report every incomplete fact, just report that he's dead which is a fact. At this point there is no risk, it's been confirmed, he's dead. Yet the NFL Network is still talking about bounty gate. Shouldn't expect anything less though.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I honestly can say I prefer the state of the NFL to the state of baseball.
+1,000,000
Nobody with a clue thinks that. Though the severity of the program (money for ACL tears?), the coaches being involved monetarily and the fact that the idiot Saints thumbed their noses at the league when they were told to stop makes for a unique situation where other teams are paying out player to player for a big hits or interceptions. The uniqueness though is mainly in how moronic the coaching staff and FO went about the whole thing.
Don't forget bringing in money from outside sources into the bounty pool. That's the most ridiculous part of it all.

And Schefter is on tv confirming Seau dead. :( RIP.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Saints are being made an excellent example of. Considering how egregious the infractions are - and blatant, how stupid can you be, thumbing your nose at the league after being warned - I'm fine with the program getting SMU'd. Put the head of New Orleans on a spike outside the castle walls and call it a day.

Fucked up about Seau, and the timing couldn't be worse for the Player's Association. C'mon, I totally want to hear about how they plan to appeal these sanctions as retired players drop like flies thanks to injury and associated long-term effects. Spineless douchebags.

eznark

Banned
this is a bad post. there are many things that can be done to make the game much safer, even if they can't make things perfect.

Actually, I agree with him. I'm starting to firmly believe youth football will be outlawed in the next ten years and the dominoes will fall from there, with all amateur football being outlawed in 25 or so.

I'm fine with the program getting SMU'd
Not even in the same hemisphere.

I'm kind of amused at the player shock over the Saint suspensions. After what happened to the coaches and GM, what did they think was going to happen? A stern warning?

And if Seau really committed suicide from some kind of depression, it couldn't have come at a worse time for the league amid all the former player lawsuits. Not that there's any good time for suicide...

Talon

They don't have to report every incomplete fact, just report that he's dead which is a fact. At this point there is no risk, it's been confirmed, he's dead. Yet the NFL Network is still talking about bounty gate. Shouldn't expect anything less though.
I can't speak for the NFL network, as I wouldn't necessarily consider that news channel.

From the perspective of a news producer, I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a cast of ex-jocks to speak ad hoc about the death of a former NFL player. You don't know what these guys are going to say, and it's not something that's in their wheelhouse.

But my comment was more about national media not putting a story out there quite yet. The process for publishing a story isn't just [something happened] -> [post].

It's [something happened] -> [reach out to a source that can give you quotes and facts] -> [write a story] -> [pass story through your editor] -> [rewrite] -> [if legal ramifications are present, there may be an even greater delay until you can get further clarifications] -> [publish]

Luckily, if your Reuters, it's much easier. It winds up being [something might have happened] -> [make up a story] -> [Photoshop a damning image] -> [publish]

Rinse and repeat!

Ænima

I know you guys think what happened in our locker room is an isolated incident
No one thinks that. Although I am not willing to make the leap that a lot of Saints fans have made and assume that most teams in the NFL do it. Maybe amongst just the players themselves, but I honestly believe that most coaching staffs do not condone a bounty system. Maybe I am just being naive though.

I have an early work meeting and lunch, and come home to this? Its absolutely crazy. Best wishes to the Seau family. Can't imagine this situation

On a less serious note, glad to see the Saints players getting their suspensions and I look forward to the Panthers winning that division

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That shit came out of left field. For some reason, I always pictured Seau as a happy-go-lucky type. His family must be devastated...

Ænima;37504481 said:
No one thinks that. Although I am not willing to make the leap that a lot of Saints fans have made and assume that most teams in the NFL do it. Maybe amongst just the players themselves, but I honestly believe that most coaching staffs do not condone a bounty system. Maybe I am just being naive though.

You are right about coaching staffs being involved. It may be more of a player thing league wide. Just shows the stupidity within our organization. Payton should have nutted up instead of playing co-head coach with GW.

dschalter

Actually, I agree with him. I'm starting to firmly believe youth football will be outlawed in the next ten years and the dominoes will fall from there, with all amateur football being outlawed in 25 or so.

It's certainly possible, but there really are plenty of things that can done to make the game more safe. They'll change things in a way that most people won't like, but saying that the sport is irrevocably doomed seems a bit much.

eznark

Banned
It's certainly possible, but there really are plenty of things that can done to make the game more safe. They'll change things in a way that most people won't like, but saying that the sport is irrevocably doomed seems a bit much.

Tackling is inherently violent and will lead to head injuries. Short of going to a flag league, there is really nothing the NFL can do to seriously prevent concussions.

Top Bottom