• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

Gameplay seems really slow to me. Maybe it's because I haven't played since nhl 13. Or perhaps I just need to make some adjustments in the gameplay sliders. I already had the game speed 1 below it's fastest, but my players feet feel lime they are in concrete compared to nhl 13.

Gameplay seems really slow to me. Maybe it's because I haven't played since nhl 13. Or perhaps I just need to make some adjustments in the gameplay sliders. I already had the game speed 1 below it's fastest, but my players feet feel lime they are in concrete compared to nhl 13.

Switch it from simulation to arcade and have more fun.

Cake Boss

Banned
Dunno if people in this thread are playing HUT or not, but I literally just spent 10 minutes in the auction house, spent 3,000 coins (which I'll get back soon) and wound up getting this:

If there's any interest in me giving a mini-sermon on HUT collections, let me know and I'll type one up.

Lol how. Show me your ways.

Played some online HUT yesterday and it already got me hooked. The best feeling in this game is still kicking another HUT players ass, who clearly has a better roster than you and have spent some of their hard earned money on it compared to your $0 starter team.

GravyButt

Probably a dumb question but whats the difference in hut with the gold cards? Some are really shiny and some are dull? Do those guys get special boosts or something? I literally no nothing about how the hut card system works haha

RedRum

Banned
I usually play Be a Pro and I have to say, after playing it last night I am enjoying the game. Is it worth $60 after last year? Not when your putting features you missed in the last game back into this one in which previous games had them. In any case, skill stick, skating, positioning, leveling, and your rating have all been improved IMO. The arena atmosphere is nice. Crowds could be a little louder after goals. I think the commentary is slightly improved. I just hope there's a league for XB1 so I can try out team multiplayer for the first time.

dwix

Does anyone know if they have the Dallas Stars goal song in there? If I get this game I must hear the greatness of Pantera when I score!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWJ0cNdTBU

Hah, that would've been great. Hopefully there is at least the goal horn. I started playing this morning but my download wasn't done so I could only do Bolts vs. Hawks :(

Overall, the game feels a lot more responsive than last year so far, which is great.

There's no licensed music during menus either, which is kind of weird. You can hear some "licensed" stuff in the arenas, but it's not that loud.

Neil_J_UK

Probably a dumb question but whats the difference in hut with the gold cards? Some are really shiny and some are dull? Do those guys get special boosts or something? I literally no nothing about how the hut card system works haha

No boosts or anything, they are just classed as rarer cards, akin to the shiny football/soccer trading cards you used to get as a kid.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm done playing online in this game. This fucking input lag is fucking stupid. I can't do anything. I constantly keep passing when I don't mean to because I like to press the pass button before it gets to the receiver and because of the input lag, as soon as the puck gets to the player he passes it off to no one. I'm also always over skating my men past the other players. To make things even worse, I see they still haven't fixed MY teams AI when I gain the other teams zone... Why am I THE ONLY FUCKING PLAYER IN THE ZONE???? My teammates constantly go for line changes as soon as I have the puck. It always ends up being 1 on 3, yet when the other guy goes into my zone, he's always rushing in 2 on 2 or 3 on 2. I don't get this. It was the same last year in HUT as well. I've complained about input lag for the past 5 years in NHL online and it seems that this year is finally the one where other people are seeing it. I play a lot of single player in NHL so when I go online the difference is 100% noticeable from the drop of the puck. EA must be doing it to compensate for actual lag in their netcode. I just can't play this anymore the way it is and I know it's not going to change. Guess I'm sticking to Season Mode like I do anyways.

Alright boys and girls, here's Mike's Guide to HUT Auctions and Collections (and how to hopefully get a good player real quick)

QUICK NOTE: If you think you know enough about HUT Auction and Collections, scroll down to ATTENTION to learn how to get a couple quick free gold packs... but if you're at all unsure about the ins and outs of HUT and Auctions and Collections I highly recommend you read the whole post.

So, as you know one way to get cards in Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT) is by purchasing packs (either with coins earned or real money). Another way to get cards is by getting them in the auction (either by bidding, by buying them at a "buy now" price, or by offering a trade). However, there's a third way that a lot of people starting out don't take advantage of: Collections.

On the first screen of HUT, you're automatically highlighting your "Collections" bar. Go into it. In there you'll see search options (by league, but also by card type if you want). Go into NHL and then any random team. By now you probably have at least one or two players on most teams.

If you collect every "card" for a team, then you get bonus gold packs for free. That's what we're going for here.

However, by "every card" I don't mean just the players. You have to collect every jersey card (there are between 4 - 10 jerseys per team) and the team's logo card. You do not have to collect the arena card, nor any special cards (ie a Joe Sakic legends card is not needed for Colorado). Additionally, special cards do not count towards collections (so if you get a PK Subban "Team of the Week" card, that won't count... but that's still a damn good card!).

How do you collect entire teams? Auctions, mainly. But we'll get to that in a second.

If you browse your "Collections" NHL teams tab, you'll notice that some teams reward more gold packs than others, even though the amount of cards is the same. Why? Simply, some teams have better (and thus more expensive) players than others. Calgary is one of the "cheapest" teams to collect because they don't have any bonafide superstars like Crosby or Ovechkin on their team. They do have a couple slightly pricey dudes, but nothing insane. Same with New Jersey and a few other teams. So basically it's going to cost you a lot more coins to outright buy Chicago's full team (thanks to Toews, Kane, Keith, etc) than it is a team like Buffalo. Chicago will get you more packs, but the tradeoff most likely isn't worth it.

So yeah, you're going for the "cheapest" teams early on. And as mentioned, you're going to get the vast majority of a team through auction.

QUICK NOTE: Right now, prices in the auction marketplace are fluctuating (and are most likely higher than they will be in a few months) because there are way less cards out there (because the game just came out). So while collecting full teams is a great way to get cards, it might not actually be a great time to go for full teams yet. But there is something you CAN do right now, which I'll get into in a moment...

So how do we auction successfully? First, identify a player you need for the team you're collecting. Let's say we're collecting Calgary and we need a Mark Giordano. How do we know that we need a Giordano? Simple. We go to this website...

http://nhlguides.net/nhl-16-collection-checklists/

...which has a list of every card you need to complete a team! What a handy site. If you have cookies turned on, you can actually use it as a checklist.

So we need Giordano. We find him on that site (M. GIORDANO - LD) and see that he's a left defenceman. So, we go into the auction, do a search, and search for NHL team CALGARY and search for LEFT DEFENCEMAN. This will bring up all of Calgary's LD's, but we want to shrink the search for just Giordano. How do we do that? Simply inspect one of Giordano's cards that pop up. Upon inspecting, we can see that he's listed as a TWO WAY FORWARD. We can also see that he's CANADIAN. Usually by entering those two criteria (player type and nationality) you can whittle a search down to one player.

So now we've got nothing but Giordano's. Which one do we buy? The first one? No. Almost always the answer to that is no. Here's why.

Some people who are new to HUT will put their cards up for auction at below market value. Those are the cards we want to get for multiple reasons (which I'll get to). However, if a card is put up for under market value, it's almost definitely not going to make it to the front of the list. Why? Because the list is ordered sequentially in terms of auctions that are about to expire... and that means that cards at the front of the list have been available for at LEAST 50+ minutes (if not 2 hours and 50+ minutes, if not 5 hours and 50+ minutes, etc). If they've made it that long without being bought, there's a good chance it's because the price is too high.

So which ones are we looking for? You guessed it: the cards that were just posted right before you did your search. You'll find those cards at these times: ~59 minutes, ~2 hours and 59 minutes, etc... Is it a guarantee that you'll find a better deal at those times? No. However, more often than not that's where your card will be.

So let's say you've saved up enough coins and subsequently purchased an entire team's collection with those coins using frugal bidding. Congrats! You now have free gold packs to open. You cannot sell any of the cards from those gold packs, but you should hopefully get some good players! Now what?

You sell all of the cards from that team you collected. And you know what the great part is? You sell them for market value, meaning overall you're actually going to make a profit from all this. Which is neat.

But Mike, you say, you said that it's actually not the best time to collect teams right now since market prices are inflated. You're right, I did say that. However, there are two teams that you can collect right now super easily that won't break the bank...

ATTENTION: You can collect both All-Star teams and earn a free gold pack for each of them. Why is this easy? Because an All-Star team "collection" is literally 7 cards (6 jerseys, 1 logo). If you use the bidding method I mentioned above, an entire team should cost less than 5000 coins. And you'll get a free gold pack out of it (and re-sell your items for a slight profit, then collect the other team).

That's how I got my rare Luc Robitaille, and I've seen other people get pretty darn good cards out of it too.

So, is there more to HUT auctions and collections? Yes, but those are the basics to get you started. If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask.

Cake Boss

Banned
The 2 teams that you find easy to collect are Florida and New Jersey right?

Wow I didn't even know there was an All Star collection. thanks for the tips.

oldergamer

I bought it last night. played three games. Two against the CPU where I was killed 7 nothing and two games that I won.

I like it so far. Won my online games using the leafs in OT.

It plays better then nhl15 and the fact they fixed vision control was a plus for me.

rafaelr

how is doc emrick´s play by play this year? in the GT video review they said it was more frantic than ever (or something like that), but from the bits and pieces you could hear in the video it seemed pretty much exactly like last year (barely any excitement from doc at all).

how is doc emrick´s play by play this year? in the GT video review they said it was more frantic than ever (or something like that), but from the bits and pieces you could hear in the video it seemed pretty much exactly like last year (barely any excitement from doc at all).

He still doesnt lose his shit whenever a good scoring chance occurs like in real life but its noticeably improved over NHL 15. The commentary seems to flow better as well while NHL 15 there were some lines repeated way too often which dont happen as much now.

He still doesnt lose his shit whenever a good scoring chance occurs like in real life but its noticeably improved over NHL 15. The commentary seems to flow better as well while NHL 15 there were some lines repeated way too often which dont happen as much now.
The commentary is as good as it's ever been, although I'm not a fan of Emmerik at all. And whoever decided to allow him to use the word "recoil" is an idiot.

This game is murder on my thumb stick.

bumpkin

This made me sad in 15 and hasn't happened in 16 yet that I've noticed.

Although, every game I've played in my Be a GM season has been a runaway victory. I play on Rookie and absolutely crush most every team. I tried Professional a few times when I was playing 15 and it just made me want to rage; the fucking CPU would score back-to-back shit goals -- like slapshots from the point where my goalie has a clear line of sight -- every time I got ahead. Kinda sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

The 2 teams that you find easy to collect are Florida and New Jersey right?

Wow I didn't even know there was an All Star collection. thanks for the tips.
I think Carolina might be the cheapest at the moment. Justin Faulk is the most expensive player on that team.

Calgary, Florida, New Jersey should all be cheapish too. Then you have teams like Arizona who are cheap except for one player. In Arizona's case it's all of her Eckman Larson who is an 88 defensemen and will cost you tens of thousands.

Also I am typing this post out by using Siri and I am not going to change all of her to Oliver because that's hilarious.

Petrae

EA's producers have neutered Doc for a second straight year. He sounds like he's on downers, and I think that was the intention going in. Infrequently, you can hear that trademark Emrick emotion-- but it's nothing at all like watching an actual NBCSN telecast. It's far more restrained, as if Doc was sleepwalking through the line readings.

There's considerable repetition, too. I blame this on recycled commentary from last year and not getting enough lines written to record.

Emrick's hockey video game calls were better in his days with 989 Sports and the NHL Faceoff / Gretzky NHL releases. That's why I tend to believe that it's EA handcuffing him, rather than Doc just turning in an Al Michaels performance.

This. Seems like I bought 3 controllers every year for the past 3 years just because of this game.
My 2nd gen controller, with the improved version of the sticks, started to break almost immediately so I switched back to my original crappy controllers which are already almost toast.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The gameplay is definitely better than last year, but they still need to alter the penalties to high sticking. So many people I've played just spam stick lift, and will only get 2-3 penalties per game, meanwhile my players will be flinching all game.

I don't particularly like Emmerick much, nor am I a huge Olcyzk fan, but I do like Ferraro. They do a solid job in this game, though.

FettS1

Neo Member
Is anyone able to get the Deke Jump to trigger as recognized by the on-ice trainer? I've been stuck on this for a while now....playing the computer, the AI never sprawls out on defense so it seems impossible to actually use it to jump over a defender.

Cake Boss

Banned
Anyone here wanna lend me Cory Schneider for HUT to get the collection packs. Didn't realize he was going for 50K in the open market lol.

Stat!

Anyone here wanna lend me Cory Schneider for HUT to get the collection packs. Didn't realize he was going for 50K in the open market lol.

Would if I could. I wish cards weren't untradeable. I am lucky and I got luongo so I won't need that for Florida but MikeWorks in his guide said to wait a few weeks for prices to level out. I imagine the first weekend, prices will come down majorly.

It would be cool if we could get a GAF Hut group going and share harder to get cards to complete packs.

Is anyone able to get the Deke Jump to trigger as recognized by the on-ice trainer? I've been stuck on this for a while now....playing the computer, the AI never sprawls out on defense so it seems impossible to actually use it to jump over a defender.

In my many many games of experience through the years, I have never jump deked a sliding defender, online/offline or ever.

Maximus.

I am annoyed the rosters aren't up to date. Missing some trades that happened well before release. Guess they are waiting for the official rosters to be set before sending out an update.

This made me sad in 15 and hasn't happened in 16 yet that I've noticed.

Although, every game I've played in my Be a GM season has been a runaway victory. I play on Rookie and absolutely crush most every team. I tried Professional a few times when I was playing 15 and it just made me want to rage; the fucking CPU would score back-to-back shit goals -- like slapshots from the point where my goalie has a clear line of sight -- every time I got ahead. Kinda sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

I play all-star and every game is a runaway success. I agree there are a lot of questionable goals, but it's not so bad. Whatever works for you though I guess.

So apparently you can get a gold card in a bronze pack, so people are completing the easy Bronze (and Silver) teams now. Something to keep in mind.

Oh, and if you happen to get a pretty good player (but perhaps not mind-blowing like Crosby), sooner rather than later would be a good time to sell them (unless you want to keep them on your team forever).

Someone like Ryan Kesler or Evander Kane or Johnny Gaudreau. A strong player that isn't a superstar. Those cards are over-valued right now (and should be for the next month or so).

Also now is a REALLY good time to stock up on contracts through the auction. In a month or two, contract cards should cost between 350 - 600 coins if they follow the same pattern as NHL 15. Right now you can get them for much less.

Cake Boss

Banned
Seems everyone has caught onto it. Can't find the bronze prospects and the AHL players going for 5k lol.

Anyone down for an X1 version of an EASHL. I'll make one for some casual games if enough people are interested.

I had two or more rewards gold packs to open when I started, then got two on Wednesday because my review copy was the special edition. Those helped.

I ended up selling the contents of one, which wasn't a great idea, but I bought two good players with the pucks I received.

I mostly spend my pucks on individual players. I've got Moulson, Horton, Gardiner, Grabovski and a couple of other good players.

Top Bottom