• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

keezy

I can't win a HUT game to save my life.

My HUT games are accurately depicted by that Habs/Leafs screenshot. I outshoot the other player 5/1 and they still beat me.

Seems like whoever I play can just go D to D at the point and take a slap shot and it goes in. The amount of effort I need to put in to get a goal is unreal...

I was pretty good in 15.. Seems like these lucky goals are move prevalent in 16...

Last night I got a def los because the EA servers went down during a singleplayer season game and now I start up the game today and I suddenly got 2 more def loses for games I didn't even start...

RS4-

HUT is rather shit just because of how slow and clunky the UI is.

And it's always a good time when the daily rewards don't even work.

Stat!

And it's always a good time when the daily rewards don't even work.

Yeah my daily rewards went from 7 down to 1 and only today did they finally begin to update again. I did pull a Hedman out of one of my collections today!

Finally decided to buy this and I'm pretty excited to get into it. Been a couple of months since I last played NHL 15 and I'm feeling some hockey with the new season just around the corner. I was actually pretty impressed with last years version gameplay wise since I mostly play offline so I doubt I'll be disappointed with the new version either.

Yasawas

Is this game fun? I don't care at all about all the card business that EA put in their sports games now as I don't understand it and I know nothing of ice hockey but I always loved the 16-bit games and could go a shiny version of that if the core game is enjoyable in single player and it has a meaty season mode.

Thretau

Yeah browsing in HUT and playing GM Mode is so sluggish it's incredible.

Has anyone gotten any of the 15 pre-order gold packs? I know they are coming little by little just wondering if my code actually registered or not.

Yup. Doubt that will ever be fully fixed.

After making that post I opened various ports for PS4 I found on portforward.com and the next game was very much improved. Might be worth a look, unless it was just coincidence.

Edit: Three or four games now with little to no input lag. I also set my PS4 to a static IP.

Played my first online vs game and boy is it different in terms of gameplay, but it's fun though.
Are the settings for online games Allstar/Hardcore? If yes I'll better start playing like this in singleplayer to get used to it.

Stat!

Anyone have Taylor Hall for HUT on ps4? Can I borrow him just to complete my collection?

I was able to get a TOTW Ellis and Irwin from my Nashville collections yesterday. Lehtonen as well!

These quits are getting really fucking irritating

Just scored 3 goals on a guy in the first half of the 1st period and he just left after the last one

Edit: and another one immediately after

Fuck this game. Not sure how I'm supposed to get wins

Carolina < New Jersey < Florida < Toronto < Arizona

If you're not in dire need to collect right away, prices will go down. Prices generally drop when special packs get released (because so many people buy them then flood the market with more players).

It's weird; smaller players get cheaper, good players get cheaper, amazing players get more expensive. Those first two occur because there are more options in the market. The latter occurs because people start to get more coins, and therefor more people can afford Toews at 900,000 coins as opposed to Toews at 200,000 coins.

So when you guys see a special pack being released, wait a day and see if prices drop on the players you want to collect.

Cudder

These quits are getting really fucking irritating

Just scored 3 goals on a guy in the first half of the 1st period and he just left after the last one

Edit: and another one immediately after

Fuck this game. Not sure how I'm supposed to get wins

You should be getting wins if people quit on you.

Cudder

I didn't get any wins yesterday when people quit. Nor am I getting the daily rewards from HUT.

Hmm, I'm getting wins when people quit on me in Online Versus. Sometimes I have to go to the main menu and go back into Online Versus for my record to reflect it though.

GravyButt

Dumb question but if I start my season now will new roster updates be updated in it? Or should I wait until the season starts and we get the first roster update then so we get the rookies first nhl game in so they can be added?(im assuming preseason games dont count)

I can't remember how the nhl rosters work, like i know in mlb the show, whatever rosters you start with is what you are stuck with. Just wondering if its the same with nhl. Itching to start!

If they are quitting on you you should be getting wins. If you are losing connection to them then maybe you should open your ports.

Im positive it's not my connection or ports, they're open and forwarded . It only happens when they are losing and it's always immediately after a goal or with almost no time left in the game.

Is there any way they could be cheating it like turning off the PS4?

Stat!

Tip how? And I still have a few leafs to get, I'll let you know when I need him

I would have to buy him so just enough for my time and the 5% tax when I sell JVR back. Nothing too large. You just do it when you offer JVR back to me.

But you might want to wait to see if prices go down tomorrow since people get preorder packs

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I need tips. I'm so bad at this game. My first NHL game since NHL 2001 on PC.

1.) How should I be using L2 on offense and defense?
2.) How useful are the d-pad plays? My guys seems so passive while my opponent's npcs are all over me.
3.) How do people square up and body check me so easily or body check me along the boards? I can't do it for the life of me.
4.) What's the best way to poke check and stick lift without getting a penalty?

I would have to buy him so just enough for my time and the 5% tax when I sell JVR back. Nothing too large. You just do it when you offer JVR back to me.

But you might want to wait to see if prices go down tomorrow since people get preorder packs

No prob, I should get a free pack tmrw, maybe I'll score big

I need tips. I'm so bad at this game. My first NHL game since NHL 2001 on PC.

1.) How should I be using L2 on offense and defense?
2.) How useful are the d-pad plays? My guys seems so passive while my opponent's npcs are all over me.
3.) How do people square up and body check me so easily or body check me along the boards? I can't do it for the life of me.
4.) What's the best way to poke check and stick lift without getting a penalty?

1) You dont need to use L2 much on offense unless you are playing a team play mode like OTP or EASHL and in those cases it can be used to face your guy towards the net to be in position for a one-timer shot. You can hold it on offense from time to time and it will turn you backwards which is an unpredictable move you can use to protect the puck and draw tripping penalties. L2 on defense doesnt help much either especially if you are playing with auto-backskate ON in the settings. I've found just skating around normally at slow speeds you have more precise control than holding L2 on defense which tends to turn you guy the wrong way unless you are using it to skate directly backwards

2) I wouldnt bother with the d-pad settings too much. They arent "plays" as much as settings or strategies that your players will loosely follow

3) You get bodychecked easily if your movements are predictable. If you are playing the CPU they will also be able to calculate when to hit you better. You have to vary your movements to be a little more unpredictable entering the zone to scare the opposing players into not being as aggressive. Use the RS to due basic dekes left and right quickly occasionally even when you have room to give them something to think about and try not dont to skate in straight lines at high speeds so much as that makes it easy to figure out the angle and knock you on your ass for a human or CPU defender.

4) Never poke check or stick lift from behind, thats pretty much automatically a penalty. When you are in front of a player or at the side you need to gauge the distance before deciding to poke check or not. If you are too close if will poke near their skates which increases the chances of a tripping call. You should try to poke only at around the max distance that the poke check animation reachers. When you are close use the stick lift or body check. Sometimes its best to just use positioning and keep yourself in between the puck carrier and goal until you get an opportunity to use one of the tools to get the puck back. The poke check can be used as a tool for forcing a puckhander to change their course not just as a way to dispossess them of the puck when they have a lot of space in front of you. Poke randomly especially as they are entering the zone and you might get them to stall and go offside or you can use it to force them a separate direction since they might try to avoid you.

Neil_J_UK

When should I be stick lifting?

Edit: So I thought I didn't get a RUB, didn't realise I had to choose 'check for other rewards'. Got Rick Nash :D

Quick

Banned

Edit: So I thought I didn't get a RUB, didn't realise I had to choose 'check for other rewards'. Got Rick Nash :D

Stick lifting in general?

Usually when the opposing player you're closest to has the puck and you want to get it away from them. Or when you're chasing the puck vs. the opposing player. When the puck gets dumped and I'm chasing it, I lift the opponent's stick just before we both reach the puck.

There's a risk of high sticking or slashing though.

Neil_J_UK

Stick lifting in general?

Usually when the opposing player you're closest to has the puck and you want to get it away from them. Or when you're chasing the puck vs. the opposing player. When the puck gets dumped and I'm chasing it, I lift the opponent's stick just before we both reach the puck.

There's a risk of high sticking or slashing though.

Yeah. I hardly ever use it, I tend to just poke check instead. I never know when I should be poke checking vs stick lifting.

Quick

Banned
Yeah. I hardly ever use it, I tend to just poke check instead. I never know when I should be poke checking vs stick lifting.

There's no wrong method, just risk of getting penalized.

Having played with the current control scheme since NHL 08, the controls are permanently in my head. I poke check and stick lift instinctually.

zychi

Banned
Playing the trial, theres still no best available option in nhl ultimate team? Fifa and Madden have it, they really didnt do much to this game did they?

I have to manually select each position to put in my new cards? Lazy EA

When you're close enough. Do the stick lift action a few times in open ice to get an idea how far it reaches. If you try to poke check at stick lift range you can hit the skates instead and draw a penalty since the poke has farther range. When you're in tight and don't have the momentum for a hit go for a stick lift.

GravyButt

So xb1 or ps4? Im assuming it comes down to which controller performs better. Whats the general consensus? After an extended redbox session on ps4, the sticks bugged me. Wondering if xb1 is better.

Warablo

So xb1 or ps4? Im assuming it comes down to which controller performs better. Whats the general consensus? After an extended redbox session on ps4, the sticks bugged me. Wondering if xb1 is better.

I have the Xb1 version, but I think it's missing some features. I think the PS4 version has online team play working with friends, while right now on the Xb1 it isn't working. I would advise the PS4 because I figure it has the bigger population too. Though if you're on the Eastcoast I don't think you need to worry about it.

I can't search or even start a match with my friend in online team play game. The only way we can play together is through EASHL, and Online VS. Can anyone with a PS4 confirm that they can play online team-up (not EASHL) with a friend? Public or private?

zychi

Banned
Ah thanks. Probably should note I think I'll only be playing solo stuff to be honest. Can't stomach sports games online.
I do hut solo seasons and play locally offline with my friends, and only play people i know online. If you have gcu at best buy its worth it, or grab it off ebay for $35. Its the only hockey game and it fills my fix

E: im on x1, hate the ps4 controller for sports and shooters

Top Bottom