• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 |OT| Allegedly What's Old Is New Again

I'm wondering the same thing. Can you do team play and invite a friend? Can you create a game and invite people to it so they can play on your team against other humans? This is something you could do three years ago, but as of last week it wasn't an option in this year's game.

Stat!

Jagr is an 28k in HUT? Wow. Crazy. Anyone have him that I can borrow to complete collection in ps4 version? I didn't even consider that he would be 28k. I thought he'd be like an 82. Has anyone figured out a half decent team to go for aside from the all-stars?

Does the card dissapear from my collection if the contract of a player runs out or are they the only not useable to play with anymore? I'm new to that ultimate team stuff but I'm already kinda hooked.
Also what's the fastest way to make pucks? I'm only playing singleplayer atm.

BFIB

Picked this up last night. First NHL game since 07 for me. Gameplay is awesome, but how do you win face offs?

Guess I need to start chatting it up in NHL GAF.

Stat!

Does the card dissapear from my collection if the contract of a player runs out or are they the only not useable to play with anymore? I'm new to that ultimate team stuff but I'm already kinda hooked.

When a contract runs out, you have to apply a contract to continue to use the player. He does not disappear.

Fastest way to earn pucks? Auction house. Or buy packs and get super lucky.

Picked this up last night. First NHL game since 07 for me. Gameplay is awesome, but how do you win face offs?

Use the skill trainer. Its an incredible help with face-offs this year.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
No, you keep the player card forever. What will happen is you'll get a warning in the edit lines section or when you attempt to play a game saying that one or more of your players has run out of games. All you need to do is put a new contract card of them or swap that player with a player that has games available.

Fastest way to earn pucks is to play online. Even if you lose, you can still pull in 800-1000 per game.

Quick

Banned

Yeah, they really worked on the faceoff mechanics now. It's all about timing vs. spamming it with the right stick.

You can still do the easy method of just pulling the right stick down, or you can get creative with tying up the opposing centre by pushing the stick up. You can also now do backhanded faceoffs by pushing the stick left or right (depending on the player's dexterity) and up or down (for a tie-up or a straightforward faceoff).

And the visual hints will tell you the right stick movements for faceoffs.

Stat!

Damn, I screwed up in terms of selling. Went all in on Ekblad when I could have gotten him for much cheaper and sold him right away. Hoping someone buys my Ekblad at 6500 or 7000. I'll only really make about 500 coins but right now I have 50.

When a contract runs out, you have to apply a contract to continue to use the player. He does not disappear.

Fastest way to earn pucks? Auction house. Or buy packs and get super lucky.

No, you keep the player card forever. What will happen is you'll get a warning in the edit lines section or when you attempt to play a game saying that one or more of your players has run out of games. All you need to do is put a new contract card of them or swap that player with a player that has games available.

Fastest way to earn pucks is to play online. Even if you lose, you can still pull in 800-1000 per game.
Ok, thanks guys.
I'm having problems in the defense with positioning and getting the puck back so I'll probably stay with offline season until I get the hang of it :)

a916

The game works and plays very well offline...

Online is a mess. The slightest bit of lag makes everything sluggish and uncontrollable... EA SHL is such a terrible experience.

The game works and plays very well offline...

Online is a mess. The slightest bit of lag makes everything sluggish and uncontrollable... EA SHL is such a terrible experience.

Yep. I've noticed a constant stutter playing online where it hitches very briefly but frequently and it's annoying as shit

A post on Reddit re: the cheapest teams to collect:

All-Star Teams (Green and White): 4-6k per team
Carolina (35-45k; Faulk 22-25k)
New Jersey (50-55k; Schneider 35-40k)
Florida (60-70k; Jagr 20-23k, Luongo 22-25k)
Toronto (65-75k; JVR 50-55k)
Arizona (80-90k; OEL 65-70k)
Buffalo (95-105k; O'Reilly 12-15k, Kane 65-70k)
Vancouver (110-120k; H. Sedin 28-32k, D. Sedin 28-32k, Miller 17-20k)
Winnipeg (130-145k; Byfuglien 35-38k, Wheeler 25-28k, Myers 23-26k, Little 13-15k, Ladd 14-17k)
Columbus (175-190k; Johansen 75-80k, Saad 19-22k, Bobrovsky 47-50k, Foligno 11-14k)
Edmonton (175-190k; Hall 155-160k)
Calgary (185-200k; Monahan 50-53k, Giordano 37-40k, Hudler 32-35k, Hamilton 16-19k, Brodie 16-19k, Gaudreau 11-13k)
Minnesota (265k-280k; Suter 98-103k, Parise 98-103k, Dubnyk 24-28k, Pominville 12-15k)
Philadelphia (280-295k; Giroux 117-123k, Simmonds 27-30k, Voracek 97-102k, Mason 8-10k)
Ottawa (295-310k; Karlsson 195-205k, Ryan 47-50k, Turris 20-24k, Anderson 8-10k)
https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/3lmsf1/collection_guide_the_15_cheapest_with_approximate/

GravyButt

Whats up with some players on different teams theyve never been? I can't remember the exact ones, but for example say I saw a gold Rask card on the Lightning instead of the Bruins. Ive seen a few random ones like that. Im fairly certain I saw a gold Lucic on the Islanders, but I could be wrong, but I could of sworn I saw it.

rush777

Hey guys can you please explain to me how to play couch coop with my friends? Are we only required to only sign in or do we all need to have a paid subscription to PlayStation Plus?

Trial is over, not sure if I'll buy it. One of the last games Ive played was against a top 100 player that was a puck shielder

So fucking sick of it. Of course I got crushed

ukas

Whats up with some players on different teams theyve never been? I can't remember the exact ones, but for example say I saw a gold Rask card on the Lightning instead of the Bruins. Ive seen a few random ones like that. Im fairly certain I saw a gold Lucic on the Islanders, but I could be wrong, but I could of sworn I saw it.

Jaden Schwartz showed up like he was on the Senators for me yesterday. Even though I specifically searched for only Blues players.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Man, this genuinely doesn't feel like any improvement over the last year's title. It even has the same ridiculous music.

What's old is new, indeed.
How much did you play last years game? it's definitely an upgrade, and in a lot of ways. There's still a lot of shit that needs to be tweaked, but this is the game we should have gotten last year.

Is it possible to play online (coop) with a friend without being locked to a position?

It doesn't look like it. In fact, how do you play with a friend (coop) period? It seems like you can't actually invite a friend to a game. My buddies don't want to do the EASHL stuff.

There are consumable cards you can get that allow you to change the team a player is on. By doing this you can match up players on One of your lines to all be on the same team, which increases their chemistry. If you then go to sell that card, that player with his new team will show up as being on a new team. It makes absolutely no difference, other then affecting chemistry.

Tried 2 games of EASHL tonight and they were completely unplayable for me. The lag was atrocious, despite the fact I have a very good internet connection.

Anyone else had problems with this mode? Online versus and online shootout both seem fine.

sector4

Gameplay is awesome, but how do you win face offs?

Hold the right stick all the way left or right (forehand or backhand) and then as the ref moves his hand to drop the puck, swing the stick from the side, down to the bottom. Takes bit of practise but you'll get it!

RedRum

Banned
Online for me is strange. I'm not sure if it is lag but there is definitely a half-second delay when it comes to inputs on the controller.

Online for me is strange. I'm not sure if it is lag but there is definitely a half-second delay when it comes to inputs on the controller.

I'm getting the input delay (although mine feels more like 1-2 seconds than a half second) but also a constant stuttering/like, it's skipping every 2nd or 3rd frame.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
You're not alone. I can't win any games online due to it. I keep double passing, mis-aligning hits, and blowing coverage non stop. If I play offline, everything clicks and feels like it's supposed to. I'm starting to wonder if it's done on purpose to even out the playing field for the online games from actual lag.

RedRum

Banned
I'm getting the input delay (although mine feels more like 1-2 seconds than a half second) but also a constant stuttering/like, it's skipping every 2nd or 3rd frame.

I haven't run into the stuttering yet. The game itself is pretty smooth but that input delay is so fucking jarring after going from single player to online.

You're not alone. I can't win any games online due to it. I keep double passing, mis-aligning hits, and blowing coverage non stop. If I play offline, everything clicks and feels like it's supposed to. I'm starting to wonder if it's done on purpose to even out the playing field for the online games from actual lag.

You might be right but if so then it's such an extreme measure. It looks like bumper cars while the game is going on while you're literally trying to time what you're going to before you do it without flying all over the place. This is my first time playing online in an NHL game and I wonder if it was like this before.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, EA's AI cheat logic is still in full effect, even on Rookie difficulty. I was playing a HUT single player season and the first game I play is against some scrub CHL team on rookie difficulty, yet they scored 3 goals on me all the same way; skate in to my zone and wind up with a huge slap shot, let it go, my goalie saves it and it somehow bounces up and over him into the air then lands behind him in the net. I have Lehtonen in net too, not some CHL'er. I still won the game 17-3, but I find it amazing they just can't let the game play out like it should. I should have won that game 17-0, but because I let the other team take a slap shot from the blue line, unscreened, I get penalized for it? Fuck off.

It was pretty nuts to then play a team on Pro difficulty and see the changes. I won that game 6-2. I can't imagine playing this on Superstar. It can't possibly be fun to be scored on every single time the CPU shoots the puck. There's no way to prevent every shot in a game, so I don't know why they think they have to have the CPU cheat to score.

BTW, EA's AI cheat logic is still in full effect, even on Rookie difficulty. I was playing a HUT single player season and the first game I play is against some scrub CHL team on rookie difficulty, yet they scored 3 goals on me all the same way; skate in to my zone and wind up with a huge slap shot, let it go, my goalie saves it and it somehow bounces up and over him into the air then lands behind him in the net. I have Lehtonen in net too, not some CHL'er. I still won the game 17-3, but I find it amazing they just can't let the game play out like it should. I should have won that game 17-0, but because I let the other team take a slap shot from the blue line, unscreened, I get penalized for it? Fuck off.

It was pretty nuts to then play a team on Pro difficulty and see the changes. I won that game 6-2. I can't imagine playing this on Superstar. It can't possibly be fun to be scored on every single time the CPU shoots the puck. There's no way to prevent every shot in a game, so I don't know why they think they have to have the CPU cheat to score.

I think you need to adjust some sliders for the AI. I played 15 in GM mode on the highest difficulty and most games were 3 - 2, 4 - 3 etc. I only got my copy of 16 today so I can't suggest anything specific yet.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I think you need to adjust some sliders for the AI. I played 15 in GM mode on the highest difficulty and most games were 3 - 2, 4 - 3 etc. I only got my copy of 16 today so I can't suggest anything specific yet.
Hmm, I never actually tried adjusting the sliders in HUT because I just assumed they were locked to whatever difficulty the current challenge was. I normally play with custom sliders to balance out all the BS the CPU AI can do, but it still seems like they cheat no matter what. It also feels wrong to artificially inflate/deflate the players stats with the sliders when the difficulty setting should be about AI positioning and choices. I don't want my players to be faster or laser accurate with their shots while the CPU players are "normal". I want the players default attributes to be the difference between the teams and their choices on what to do with and without the puck.

Hmm, I never actually tried adjusting the sliders in HUT because I just assumed they were locked to whatever difficulty the current challenge was. I normally play with custom sliders to balance out all the BS the CPU AI can do, but it still seems like they cheat no matter what. It also feels wrong to artificially inflate/deflate the players stats with the sliders when the difficulty setting should be about AI positioning and choices. I don't want my players to be faster or laser accurate with their shots while the CPU players are "normal". I want the players default attributes to be the difference between the teams and their choices on what to do with and without the puck.

I'm dumb and missed where you said HUT but since it's against the CPU you might be able to change it up, I'm not sure.

I hate this game.

CPei_bHVEAAIqbR.jpg

Stat!

Thanks to MikeWorks HUT Guide. I've only attained cards through my RUB and collections (I didnt get pre-order packs, I haven't bought a single card that I use on my team). Only Sedin, Seth Jones, and Luongo I got from RUB

I am loving Dekeyser. Only 82 TWD and he's such a beast for me. I am learning how sometimes lower rated guys can be way better and worth more. Guys like Ennis have really high offensive categories despite being an 84.

Boedker(85)-Sedin (C89)-Jagr (86)
Lupul(85A)-Vermette(85)-Ennis (84)
Abdelkader(84)-Couturier(85)-Callahan (85) (beastly 3rd line shutdown)
Raymond (82)-Horvat (84)-Silfverberg (84)

Del Zotto (83) -Vatanen (85)
Dekeyser (82)- Seth Jones (85)
Mike Weber (81) - Johnny Boychuk (85)

Luongo (87)
Greiss (82)

I know my LD suck but its luck of the draw for me. Im only going for non-tradeable cards at this point which means collections.

Top Bottom