• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 17 EASHL (Xbox One) NeoGAF Dot Horses

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What's with all the 2 winger teams we're running into? They just cherry pick the entire game, it's beyond annoying.

Marvie_3

Banned
For real though, you dont need anymore than 2 players when you can just figure skate to the top of the slot, shoot back across your body, and score 90% of the time.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Good games tonight you guys, that was great.

Great job holding it down on D all night

Marvie_3

Banned
Dominated tonight. Went 5-0. Having a 3rd player definitely helps. Even Carter had 2 straight shutouts!

Red you killed it all night on defense. Only gave up 2 goals in the 4 games you played. Good shit man.

We really gotta start using mics more often though. We get mixed up sometimes because we cant communicate.

Red_Man

Did you guys know there's a menu option that shows your connection now? It shows your connection over the last few minutes to see if your connection is shit, actually pretty dope.

Dominated tonight. Went 5-0. Having a 3rd player definitely helps. Even Carter had 2 straight shutouts!

Red you killed it all night on defense. Only gave up 2 goals in the 4 games you played. Good shit man.

We really gotta start using mics more often though. We get mixed up sometimes because we cant communicate.
I'm still on this shitty hotel internet, but I'll be back home in 2 weeks with my good internet and mic. We had some really good games tonight, I enjoy playing D when we have a good flow going. I hit some lag spikes here and there where I spaced out, but overall good games.

Marvie_3

Banned
Everything about tonight was fucking bullshit.
After you came on yeah. I blame you and shred. ;)

Should have bailed before that last game started though. Every time theres a team of people from UND its always a bunch of figure skatey cheese shit. Considering that almost everyone that likes that team is an obnoxious piece of shit, it shouldnt be a surprise.

Pretty rough after we got everyone on though, but that was to be expected. Only Red_Man, Noz, and I have played together in the past but even that was awhile ago so theres bound to be some chemistry issues. We'll get it figured out though. We got our chances in those games but we just couldnt do much.

Better communication and more games will get a lot of the kinks out. One thing we can fix immediately though is us getting bunched up too often.

On offense we need to get better at finding open ice so passing lanes open up.

On defense, if one person is on the puck carrier, the next person shouldnt be right on them. Try to hang off a bit and cut off their passing lanes. If we have 2 or 3 people chasing the same guy, theres tons of open space for their other guys.

One other thing we're all guilty of....we try to get too fancy on offense. If anyone is in the slot with the puck, there really arent any better plays. Just let a shot rip. Its a high percentage play as we've seen and even if the shot misses, theres a secondary chance to be had.

After you came on yeah. I blame you and shred

One other thing we're all guilty of....we try to get too fancy on offense. If anyone is in the slot with the puck, there really arent any better plays. Just let a shot rip. Its a high percentage play as we've seen and even if the shot misses, theres a secondary chance to be had.
Hey! I think we were 3-2-1 when I was on? Notjing like a .500 team. I even had that 3 point OT winner game! Heh.

Agreed on the shooting though. Sometimes I make low percentage passes or hold the puck rather than just ripping it in their zone as I don't want to be that guy that just shoots all the time but so far from my experience a rebound off a low slapshot is as likely to get picked up as a seam pass in their zone and, as a bonus, sometimes they just go in. But I'm happy to play a shoot/crash the net offense more often.

The first two games i was on earlier in the night in particular I found we were actually playing great, getting into good high percentage zones, setting up one timers etc. but then a bullshit backhand lob or an AI self goal goes in on us after sustained pressure and hard shots. Guh.

Red_Man

A lot of it will just be getting used to playing with each other.

For Noz and Margie, we should try to come up with some kind of PP set up, I was having a hard time finding you guys on PPs and it's difficult when you're both right shots on the right side, we should try and rotate so we can try for one timers.

Marvie_3

Banned

For Noz and Margie, we should try to come up with some kind of PP set up, I was having a hard time finding you guys on PPs and it's difficult when you're both right shots on the right side, we should try and rotate so we can try for one timers.
Noz usually plays on the left, which in Nozspeak, means he's somewhere on the ice or in the penalty box.

But to your point, Our PPs are a mess. I try to set up in the slot when I can but if its not open I tend to just drift trying to get open. Im open to trying different set ups if youve got something in mind.

Red_Man

Noz usually plays on the left, which in Nozspeak, means he's somewhere on the ice or in the penalty box.

But to your point, Our PPs are a mess. I try to set up in the slot when I can but if its not open I tend to just drift trying to get open. Im open to trying different set ups if youve got something in mind.
I just found other teams would just collapse in the slot so I had no passing lanes to you guys, and because I'm on the right side, when I come in to grab the puck off the face off, the other team cuts me off so, it's difficult for me to get back to my proper side. There's a couple plays we could come up with, I just got frustrated because I kept botching good PP time not being able to find anyone. It'll help once I get back home and have my mic too.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it

I like that the power play opens up the ice and allows me to slam into Marvie and almost make him fall over, but that's a fair and reasonable point.

RedRum

Banned
I thought we played a first good game with all 5 of us. We got quality chances abd some where it seemed impossible for the goalie to stop, but he stopped anyway. Then the other games our goalies just went to shit. Low percentage shot after low percentage shot was going in against us.

I do the left shot on the right wing specifically for those one-timers/slot chances/having a good angle short side, but am also open to playing the left side, but setting up on the right in PP opportunities. I'm still getting used to NHL 17, but find my actual ice hockey awareness tends to allow me to adapt on the fly to covering d, crossing to the left side, etc. So really, wherever you guys want me, I'm happy to (though I don't think my d skills are there yet).

The main thing I struggle with is when I'm the head man, entering down the right wing and don't have the support behind me to pick up the puck if I get hit/or collect a drop pass if not. I'm still not sure if it's best to dump/chase, try to make a move solo, or slow down to get the support. That's where my current indecision really handcuffs me. I'm sure it'll come.

But yeah, anything you guys want me to do, just ask.

RedRum

Banned
I do the left shot on the right wing specifically for those one-timers/slot chances/having a good angle short side, but am also open to playing the left side, but setting up on the right in PP opportunities. I'm still getting used to NHL 17, but find my actual ice hockey awareness tends to allow me to adapt on the fly to covering d, crossing to the left side, etc. So really, wherever you guys want me, I'm happy to (though I don't think my d skills are there yet).

The main thing I struggle with is when I'm the head man, entering down the right wing and don't have the support behind me to pick up the puck if I get hit/or collect a drop pass if not. I'm still not sure if it's best to dump/chase, try to make a move solo, or slow down to get the support. That's where my current indecision really handcuffs me. I'm sure it'll come.

But yeah, anything you guys want me to do, just ask.

That's one thing we need to address. Head man support on the boards. That slot pass isn't cutting it, but it looked like passing to the point worked a few times.

I think I like playing D more than wing.

That's one thing we need to address. Head man support on the boards. That slot pass isn't cutting it, but it looked like passing to the point worked a few times.

I think I like playing D more than wing.
Yeah, I was trying to do a lot of point passes to the RD one of those games in particular. It was working really well in turning situations where I had no options other than a bad angle, low shot hoping for a lucky bounce into a either a reset or a better shot. Their LW started anticipating it as I caught him a few times with it to a point where he started leaving the slot open for me to just go in and snap a shot. Happy to move towards a pass-to-the-point strategy once we're set up.

When the headman support is there, seems like it's pretty easy to get into the zone either through a drop pass or absorbing a hit and letting the trailer pick up the loose puck with speed. When it's not there, I just don't have the dangle ability yet to feel confident in anything other than dump or hit the zone and go for a shot.

Red_Man

I thought we played a first good game with all 5 of us. We got quality chances abd some where it seemed impossible for the goalie to stop, but he stopped anyway. Then the other games our goalies just went to shit. Low percentage shot after low percentage shot was going in against us.
Were you the left D in those first 5 on 5 games?

Red_Man

Yesterday was the first time I've ever played with an offensive defenseman build and it's insane how much lighter, and faster they feel. I was skating all over just trying to get used to how little weight they have compared to the two way guys.

Yeah. Critique me Red.
:lol I was going to say, I enjoyed playing with you. We were using each other pretty well, and reading each others positioning for the majority of the game. It's nice playing with another defenseman who utilizes their partner.

RedRum

Banned
I have been playing NHL for a very long time, but this is my first year online. What I am still trying to get used to is the molasses effect of the game. There seems to be a 1+ second input lag that forces you to anticipate your own movements. It makes being precise shitty. It's just so different from skating single player.

I have been playing NHL for a very long time, but this is my first year online. What I am still trying to get used to is the molasses effect of the game. There seems to be a 1+ second input lag that forces you to anticipate your own movements. It makes being precise shitty. It's just so different from skating single player.
I feel it too. I actually switched from Sniper build, which I had used in EASHL for as long as I can remember, to Playmaker, specifically because Marv had suggested it. The difference was night and day. Still not as snappy as I would wish, but I definitely can't go back to Sniper now.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah it was kind of a mess of a game but we still had our chances. Just weren't falling. A couple of them were gimmes but the goalie somehow pulled a miracle out of his ass and stopped them. Oh well.

This is another thing we could improve on with mics. You can't really see behind you so the players trailing should be letting you know if you have an option behind you for a drop pass or if you should dump it around to the other winger. Letting the other winger know you're dumping it around would help us keep possession too since they'll be expecting it.

When there's 3 of us moving up, I check the slot first to see if I can cut down the middle and if not I try to drift over behind the puck carrier to open up a passing option if the defenseman isn't in the zone. A lot of times I don't get there fast enough so I'll try to be quicker getting over.

One thing we could try is just circling back around if there's nothing open. If you don't have a pass across or anyone available for a dump around, then just turn around and we can reset. Taking a bit of extra time getting in the zone is better than forcing something into a turnover.

RedRum

Banned
Yesterday was the first time I've ever played with an offensive defenseman build and it's insane how much lighter, and faster they feel. I was skating all over just trying to get used to how little weight they have compared to the two way guys.

:lol I was going to say, I enjoyed playing with you. We were using each other pretty well, and reading each others positioning for the majority of the game. It's nice playing with another defenseman who utilizes their partner.

Offensive defenseman was great. We got unlucky that first game, but I thought our positioning was awesome. I sort of followed your lead and adjusted accordingly. There were times I think I pushed too far into the O zone, but overall I think I need to know where to be. Most of my problem stemmed from keeping players to outside shots, but they were still going in. I need to be more aggressive on the stick and not rely on the goalie to make those outside shot saves.

I feel it too. I actually switched from Sniper build, which I had used in EASHL for as long as I can remember, to Playmaker, specifically because Marv had suggested it. The difference was night and day. Still not as snappy as I would wish, but I definitely can't go back to Sniper now.

Tried Sniper the last game and hated it. Good passes, average shot for PM right?

Red_Man

Offensive defenseman was great. We got unlucky that first game, but I thought our positioning was awesome. I sort of followed your lead and adjusted accordingly. There were times I think I pushed too far into the O zone, but overall I think I need to know where to be. Most of my problem stemmed from keeping players to outside shots, but they were still going in. I need to be more aggressive on the stick and not rely on the goalie to make those outside shot saves.
Like Marvie said, it will help if we all get mics so we can call out if we're going to try to take the puck in on D, but personally I want the D men trying to make plays every now and then. It adds another layer of offence for the other team to have to defend and a lot of teams D men just sit on the blue line. The key is making sure you're covered, so if we play again don't be afraid to try and take it in, I'll try my best to stay behind if you do and vice versa.

A big issue with the game still is the cheese snipes some guys can get, it's tough because you don't want to lunge at the guy and risk him skating by you, but at the same time they can just sit there and go top corner 9/10 times, it's just trying to find the balance between boxing them out and not giving them any space at the same time.

Marvie_3

Banned

Yeah you guys did well. The only thing I could say is just be careful when you're jumping up into the play and keep an eye on cherry pickers. A few times we got caught with 4 people up the ice and left the other D on his own. I think you guys stopped it every time but it's playing with fire really. Better teams will take advantage of that all day.

That said, if you've got a play on offense, go for it. I'm pretty used to having to cover the point from drop in games so it's not a big deal for me to drop back.

Red_Man

Yeah you guys did well. The only thing I could say is just be careful when you're jumping up into the play and keep an eye on cherry pickers. A few times we got caught with 4 people up the ice and left the other D on his own. I think you guys stopped it every time but it's playing with fire really. Better teams will take advantage of that all day.

That said, if you've got a play on offense, go for it. I'm pretty used to having to cover the point from drop in games so it's not a big deal for me to drop back.
Yea for sure, we got caught a few times, we just need to recognize early if we're playing those teams that literally just cherry pick and call for the puck from the AI the entire game. I really need to get my mic, it will help a lot.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yea for sure, we got caught a few times, we just need to recognize early if we're playing those teams that literally just cherry pick and call for the puck from the AI the entire game. I really need to get my mic, it will help a lot.

We'll get it figured out. We played fine but there's always room for improvement.

Gonna try to get the OP updated with more clips, screenshots, etc going forward, so if you've got anything, lemme know or send me a link. Would have done it today but I had to add all 56 of Red's different numbers.

Red_Man

Not sure how late people are playing, but I won't be on until around 12:30-1 tonight, if people aren't on, I'll be on tomorrow / Thursday earlier.

We'll get it figured out. We played fine but there's always room for improvement.

Gonna try to get the OP updated with more clips, screenshots, etc going forward, so if you've got anything, lemme know or send me a link. Would have done it today but I had to add all 56 of Red's different numbers.
:lol

I should go through and change all the names and numbers today...

I'll just stick to #27 like from all our other seasons.

Marvie_3

Banned
Not sure how late people are playing, but I won't be on until around 12:30-1 tonight, if people aren't on, I'll be on tomorrow / Thursday earlier.

:lol

I should go through and change all the names and numbers today...

I'll just stick to #27 like from all our other seasons.

You know there's a quick option to set the same info/equipment for all positions, right? :lol

Probably won't be on until around at least 12 the next few nights.

Red_Man

RedRum / Noz, do you guys have any preference playing LW - LD / RW - RD? I don't have any issue playing either side, so if you guys do prefer the right just let me know.

You know there's a quick option to set the same info/equipment for all positions, right? :lol
I literally just finished doing them individually.......I'll keep that in mind for the future though lol

RedRum

Banned
RedRum / Noz, do you guys have any preference playing LW - LD / RW - RD? I don't have any issue playing either side, so if you guys do prefer the right just let me know.

I literally just finished doing them individually.......I'll keep that in mind for the future though lol

I do think I prefer LD now.

Red_Man

I do think I prefer LD now.
Well if you want to switch it up let me know, I can play with a right shot too, so we could try that and have two one timer options on our off sides. Our Gaf team has played for years, we always rotated positions, I'm petty flexible now.

Marvie_3

Banned
If anyone is bored of the current jerseys and wants to change them up, I'm all for it. With previous clubs we changed things up about once a month to keep things fresh. All up to you guys though.

Came down with a cold, meaning I'll be lying on my couch alternating between playing games/watching Netflix and sleeping. If y'all hop on and see me, just invite. If I'm awake, I'll join.

Red_Man

I only have Marvie on my friends list right now, I'll try and add everyone else when I get on next, my GT is Legitx27 if anyone hops on earlier and wants to add me.

Top Bottom