• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March |OT| It's Spring, Not Autumn, But The Leafs Are Fallin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Revenant said:
also there is no middle ground, either with or against! If we ever were in each other's presence we'd obviously have to duel to the death to maintain team superiority.
Well, I'd obviously win that handily with a clean shot to the chest. Only to hear you whisper "Zero cups" with your last breath.

Montresor

Leafs lose again? lolz

Leafs are 22nd overall with 65 points. Tampa, Buffalo, and Anaheim are all behind with 64 points. If the slide continues, the Leafs could get leapfrogged by all three teams and sit comfortably at 25th overall. And if they win the lottery, they'll pick 2nd overall.

Believe.

I don't even see how it's feasible for Toronto to win another game for the rest of the season.

Leafs are 22nd overall with 65 points. Tampa, Buffalo, and Anaheim are all behind with 64 points. If the slide continues, the Leafs could get leapfrogged by all three teams and sit comfortably at 25th overall. And if they win the lottery, they'll pick 2nd overall.

Believe.

I don't even see how it's feasible for Toronto to win another game for the rest of the season.

I really am surprised that Burke couldnt make a move at the deadline to improve the team this year. The guy must have amazing job security.

Because nobody wants the Leafs' garbage?

They have picks they could have unloaded. He gave up picks for Kessel when the team wasnt even close to the playoffs, now they are right on the door step and he does nothing. I would think making the playoffs would be a huge deal if just to calm the media and fanbase down a bit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Or so he says. I'd be inclined to believe that if he were actually offered a first for ANY of those three, he'd have dealt them.
Darren Dreger is the one who said he was offered first rounders for them.

But anyways he didn't make any moves because he knows we aren't contending for the cup yet. Why trade away prospects and youth to appease the media and fanbase to squeak into 8th place and be destroyed.

Doesn't really matter cause if he did that you'd all be saying he's an idiot for trading prospects to just make the playoffs.

Lothars

I haven't posted in an NHL thread in a long time but went to my first nhl game in february, it was Vancouver and Edmonton in Edmonton. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see go to another game.

Montresor

I wonder what he does believe in, because he's in his 4th year.

Well if the Leafs can emerge from this awful mess next year and become competitive with a new coach and some roster tweaks (and maybe a lottery pick victory?) then he can still stand by his words. He doesn't believe in tanking 5 years in a row for 1st overall picks. Since he hasn't done that, he could finally save some face and look like an intelligent GM for once in his life if the Leafs are actually good next year.

The faith he put in his squad and Ron Wilson has backfired on him.

Stet

Banned
Personally, I'm most worried about the irreparable damage done to Burke and Wilson's friendship.
ipqzhhOlk77lM.png

I wonder what he does believe in, because he's in his 4th year.

Each year he's said 'This is a team that can make the playoffs', and each year they've failed horribly. So in his thick head, he probably thinks the build is over, or starts again each year. Or something.

I actually expect Burke to make a serious decision before Saturday. If we finish lower than we did last season, Burke's own position is going to be under scrutiny, top 5 pick or not.

So far, on nearly every level, our GM has been an unrequited failure over 4 years. I really don't understand how so many Leafs' fans still talk about how they have 'faith' in Burke. Making 2 clever trades for Joffrey Lupul and Dion Phaneuf isn't going to change the basic fact that he's put together a decidedly average and imbalanced squad.

Montresor

Sorry if your general manager can't make good trades?

I don't even understand the argument here. Halak for Eller is a pretty good trade. Reimer for a 1st is not necessarily a good trade, depending on who owns that first. So I don't know where either you or FJ are coming from. I still believe Reimer is a good goaltender who is getting ruined by a combination of Allaire's teaching style and Wilson's system and Toronto's awful defensemen.

Merguson

Banned
I don't even understand the argument here. Halak for Eller is a pretty good trade. Reimer for a 1st is not necessarily a good trade, depending on who owns that first. So I don't know where either you or FJ are coming from. I still believe Reimer is a good goaltender who is getting ruined by a combination of Allaire's teaching style and Wilson's system and Toronto's awful defensemen.

I don't think it's a good trade yet, but it does depend on how Lars Eller develops. I think the kid has top six potential.

I don't think Allaire is to blame for this at all. Allaire teaches the exact same style that Giguere and Reimer uses. Allaire can only do so much. He's not the one out on the ice. Reimer isn't making saves that a blocking goalie should absolutely have. On the other hand, Wilson's system always has the defensemen pinching, no matter who it is. It leaves positions open. Reimer's strength last year was position; it's not the same this year. Plus he's letting in goals that he should absolutely have as a blocking goalie. He's not a sprawling goalie but instead relies on positioning.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I can't quote both posts but to mont and bones:

Complete failure? Because we haven't made the playoffs?

Again step back and look at what he's done his time in Toronto.

Solo

Great article from SI on the ailing (but now stable) Jean Beliveau:
http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2012/02/29/ailing-beliveau-one-of-a-kind/?sct=hp_wr_a5&eref=sihp

I especially loved this:

Tower got Canadiens GM Frank Selke to compare his two superstars. “With Maurice,” said Selke, “his moves are powered by instinctive reflexes. Maurice can’t learn from lectures. He does everything by instinct and with sheer power. Beliveau, on the other hand, is probably the classiest hockey player I’ve ever seen. He has a flair for giving you his hockey as a master showman. He is a perfect coach’s hockey player because he studies and learns. He’s moving and planning all the time, thinking out the play required for each situation. The difference between the two best hockey players in the game today is simply this: Beliveau is a perfectionist, Richard is an opportunist.”

Selke’s quest to acquire Beliveau for the Canadiens was legendary. The big center enjoyed playing senior hockey for the Quebec Aces, in the city where he had starred as a junior after leaving his hometown of Victoriaville. He had played five games on a tryout contract for the Habs, which NHL rules allowed, during two previous seasons. He scored five goals in three tryout games for Montreal during the 1952-53 season when he lead the Quebec Senior League with 124 points in 64 games. Then Selke had the Canadiens buy the entire league, which gave the team his rights. He signed Beliveau to the largest contract ever given a hockey player.

and this:

“Numbers and individual achievements don’t begin to describe what Béliveau has meant to the Canadiens organization, to people everywhere,” Red Fisher writes. “Eighteen seasons with the Canadiens, his last 10 as captain; 10 Stanley Cups; two Hart trophies, one Conn Smythe; 507 goals and 712 assists in 1,125 games; 176 points in 162 playoff games. Stunning numbers, but they pale in comparison alongside the love and respect other players, old and new, and the people…his people…have for him and he for them.”

I don't know if the Habs will ever find another player like him. Name on the Cup 17 times. Legend.

Montresor

I can't quote both posts but to mont and bones:

Complete failure? Because we haven't made the playoffs?

Again step back and look at what he's done his time in Toronto.

I had to Control+F "failure" to see that bones said that. I know I've been harsh on Burke and the Leafs but I don't think he's been a complete failure. I just think that he is insanely bad at judging his team's on ice talent. He keeps saying we'll make the playoffs every year and we keep failing spectacularly. His comments post deadline day are making him look really bad too. He thinks the pressure in Toronto and trade rumours caused undue stress on the Leafs and he used it as an excuse for the collapse leading to trade deadline day. But after the trade deadline, when the Leafs lose big against the Panthers and Hawks. And his faith in Wilson is becoming aggravating. I want Wilson gone.

With that said, I agree that he's made so many good moves, especially with regards to our prospect pool. I love that the Marlies are 1st or 2nd in their conference... I'd love to see guys like Frattin, Kadri, Holzer, Gardiner, Scrivens winning the Calder cup and I think it would go a long way towards their development.

I had to Control+F "failure" to see that bones said that. I know I've been harsh on Burke and the Leafs but I don't think he's been a complete failure.

Both Ottawa and Florida turned it around this year while spending near the cap floor.

There is something seriously wrong with his approach (whatever it is).

habs getting 2nd overall draft pick
leafs finishing 9th

sogood.gif

Hey guys, look who's here. You happy Gomez scored?

------------

Leafs lost, fuck yeah! Let shit hit the fan baby, let shit hit the fan. I love it, let the media tear them apart.

Onto Montreal we go.

Hey Montreal fans, what would it take to get Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom