• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Lucent

Do I just suck ass at this game if I used all my hp consumables on the second boss in the demo?

What's funny is in the demo Oliver can beat both of the bosses without using any familiars. For the forest boss, you can stay far from him and spam fireballs and use items to refill your mp. Do the same for the volcano boss but use the ice spell. Only other thing besides spells and refilling MP is to defend when necessary. Can kill them both in a few minutes. lol

Oliver's magic in the demo is far superior to any of his familiars.

Dragon-Quest-VIII-Journey-Of-The-Cursed-King-COVER.jpg

boxart-02.jpg

The Japanese boxart looks like the Dragon Quest VIII boxart. I like it. But I'm okay with what we got. Though I would've liked the japanese art. Final Fantasy already does the minimilist thing too much.

Can you switch to easy mode mid game in here? I might just end up playing this on normal until I get the hang of it or just realize it's defeating me

I don't really like jrpgs aside from ff 9 and skies of Arcadia but this demo I really enjoyed after giving it some time. Art style helps immensely

You can toggle between Easy/Normal at anytime where you have access to the menu.

Bladenic

Regarding that box art discussion, I think the JP one would have looked tons better had they removed everyone but Oliver, the girl and guy, the first familiar, and Mr. Drippy, and kept the witches at the top. Maybe keep the two familiars to the side and that girl in front of the guy with the green coat.

Not fast enough :( but then I don't really ever play jrpgs and I wanna play this because I liked the demo but if I'm that bad I might just pass

I was having a lot of trouble as well until I started focusing more on moving around and trying to grab the health/mana orbs that drop on the ground. I was pretty much ignoring those the first 2 times I tried the demo. Watching these videos helped me understand it a lot better too, I enjoyed the combat a lot more when I tried it again. Never had to use any healing items that way, just maybe a healing spell once or twice with Oliver

http://youtu.be/z0lT78HJnnk
http://youtu.be/thD5WdE2tHc
http://youtu.be/thD5WdE2tHc

JohngPR

Did you just basically erase the top half of the image?

Pretty much.

It was a quick and dirty edit, but it works for using as a lock screen. :) I copied the black used on the top of the image and then painted the entire upper half of the image that color black so it blended in. Ghetto but it worked! lol

Sorry it took so long...got caught up watching Football....here it is:

Has the wand quest glitch been discussed here? I'm just wondering if you can save at all during that mission without risking the loss of your file. All I've heard so far is not to save at the beginning.

madhtr

Has the wand quest glitch been discussed here? I'm just wondering if you can save at all during that mission without risking the loss of your file. All I've heard so far is not to save at the beginning.

Apparently there is no way to die during it, so not really a need to save.

So I have the game preordered at Amazon with the super saver shipping, which means I'll get the familiar but I'll have to wait however many extra days to get the game...

Is there any other place offering familiars or any better preorder bonuses that I can actually go to the store and pickup the game? Also, Newegg's free shipping tends to get games to me on release day but they don't seem to have any preorder bonus...

Magpul

Banned

Awesome, thanks! Looks good on my iP5.

I really hope they make more of these games. A sequel with an adult protagonist would be awesome. It would be cool to see Oliver revisit the world when he's grown up.

zeopower6

Most people have not had issues with that (two reviewers did), but just in case, don't save in the beginning. That entire portion of the game is pretty much "just follow these directions and explore" so I don't know why you would save really...

Someone asked about switching to Easy Mode at any time during the game, and it looks like you can since Easy/Normal are selections in the Options menu.

Because this game bombed in Japan.

Really? Even with Ghibli's name all over it? I'm surprised. What kind of numbers did it pull?

"Bomb" is a HUGE overstatement. Let's put this into perspective. Time Travelers also from LEVEL-5 definitely bombed with about 30,000-40,000~ copies sold over three systems (PSP/VITA/3DS). Ni no Kuni did pretty okayish with about 100-150k lifetime sales including the All in One Edition. You could say that they probably could have done better since they spent so much on this game yadda yadda but I don't really know... new properties in Japan tend to be tough sells.

Also the game was 8800yen/100USD~ when it debuted initially, lol.

Oh, and about the cover art, I'm okay with what we got. I think they wanted to go with a sort of 'storybook'/Final Fantasy type deal like the initial Japanese PS3 cover did with a clean design and not too much color/vibrance but I get why people like the All in One Edition with the new snazzy art.

zeopower6

That would be a pretty cool idea for a sequel!

Akihiro Hino actually said that if he was able to do a sequel (basically if the Western version does well a sequel is pretty likely) he would like to do Ni no Kuni with an adult protagonist.

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but the inner DS case cover was pretty nice too! There's a bit of graininess at the larger resolutions though. :( They certainly went with more of a 'classy' approach' with the PS3 version now that I think about it while the DS one was all about the Fantasy!Storybook land.

Now that I look at this (the normal edition of the DS one)... I kind of want to buy it now. In case no one knows yet, the reason why this never came to the US is because it's a huge (and amazing) package lol.

klee123

Got my Wizard edition preordered. Can't wait!

No.

This+Valkyria Chronicles? Why yes, yes it is.

I think at this point the PS3 is the console to get for jrpgs. Sure there are some good ones on the 360 and Wii, but the PS3 is now practically getting the lion's share when it comes to the jrpg releases on consoles.

Magpul

Banned
Got my Wizard edition preordered. Can't wait!

I think at this point the PS3 is the console to get for jrpgs. Sure there are some good ones on the 360 and Wii, but the PS3 is now practically getting the lion's share when it comes to the jrpg releases on consoles.

Certainly seems that way. Do you know of any others coming in '13 besides Tales of Xillia and Atelier Ayesha?

zeopower6

any nice wallpapers for this games?

Unfortunately, no. There's only like 4 good pieces of official artwork from this game which is a bit sad now that I think about it.

Anyone who gets the Prima eGuide though could share from the artwork area in that though! :D

Oh, people were still wanting a version of the outer case cover? I actually clone stamped that to death earlier but I didn't know if anyone wanted it after John posted his XD

Mr.Fresh

GameStop said I didn't make this list for the steel book. They said Namco cut off date was two weeks ago. But if someone doesn't pick theirs up they'll give it to me Wednesday.

Magpul

Banned
GameStop said I didn't make this list for the steel book. They said Namco cut off date was two weeks ago. But if someone doesn't pick theirs up they'll give it to me Wednesday.

Any female workers in the store you can flirt with? That's what I did, and then she gave me the steelbook, hahaha.

Mr.Fresh

Any female workers in the store you can flirt with? That's what I did, and then she gave me the steelbook, hahaha.
Nah but I know the manager I'm sure he will give it to me on Tuesday lol. If not my brother works at a different GameStop so I'm gonna get it either way.

Can you switch to easy mode mid game in here? I might just end up playing this on normal until I get the hang of it or just realize it's defeating me

I don't really like jrpgs aside from ff 9 and skies of Arcadia but this demo I really enjoyed after giving it some time. Art style helps immensely

is the game supposed to be hard? I was hoping to just play it on normal, I'm in it for just the world and story

edit: also did a wallpaper search, nothing sadly

RPGCrazied

Who's awesome at photoshop? I'm sure there is nice enough art out there to make a wallpaper, but I suck. Maybe deviant art has some?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Pretty much.

It was a quick and dirty edit, but it works for using as a lock screen. :) I copied the black used on the top of the image and then painted the entire upper half of the image that color black so it blended in. Ghetto but it worked! lol

Thanks for this, just used it as my lock screen as well. :D

zeopower6

Honestly, I don't know if there's any art by fans or officially released big enough for a wallpaper :(

All I have seen are screenshots spread around the web.

i bought my ps3 in 08 since i thought i would need one anyway for the last guardian. well that never happened but i'm going to buy this and unbox that console.

RPGCrazied

If anyone is okay with a weird splice-y wallpaper, I made two from the Japanese cover and the Western logo.

And if you want to play around with the images from the All-in-One Edition, here's the largest version I found from andriasang:

Wish the Japanese cover art was a little bigger, and didn't have that text in the middle.

zeopower6

Wow, in the last week or so, someone on pixiv drew a ton of Imajinns! lol (Ginshu is the artist... I think)

http://i.imgur.com/Q593PYW.jpg
Just in case no one really wants to see too many Familiars early, I'll change this to a link. But it's a LOT of them.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=24930260

Kinda wish the background color wasn't that baby food-y color, but eh! lol

There's also one piece of watercolor art by Kakino-o with a small cast of characters that is pretty nice.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=16455763

cannot wait till tuesday. The first true AAA "traditional" JRPG for a HD console in years.... Words cannot desrcribe how hyped i am... the definition of "day frickin 1"

Sushigod7

I'm kind of debating getting the DS version just for collection purposes love that big box. Can't wait to get this I have a busy week and going out of town next week for work so won't be able to play much which kills me.

Top Bottom