• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

I wouldn't justify any one game as validating so much money.
Unless it's Zelda

Even then. To purchase a system, I'd need at least 5 or so titles I desperately wanted to play. But the PS3 has a lot of awesome exclusives coming out this year, so there are worse uses of $300.

I just tried the demo, can't even get past the first battle. I don't care for the combat system at all. Seems everytime I need to get out of the way, I can't move because of some cool down.

bigmac996

I just tried the demo, can't even get past the first battle. I don't care for the combat system at all. Seems everytime I need to get out of the way, I can't move because of some cool down.

Do you know you can cancel your attack or defense by pressing circle if you need to run around? Use R2 and L2 to cycle through your options so you can run at the same time with the left analog stick.

Can you switch to easy mode mid game in here? I might just end up playing this on normal until I get the hang of it or just realize it's defeating me

I don't really like jrpgs aside from ff 9 and skies of Arcadia but this demo I really enjoyed after giving it some time. Art style helps immensely

Not sure if this has been answered, but yes you can in the settings menu.

madhtr

You can run, even during cool down, and you can cancel attacks or defense by hitting the circle button. I found the firest boss easiest using Oliver to cast fireball, defend when you need to, cancel when you don't, etc.

The full game will be completely different than the demo, because your characters will be based on decisions you make, and not cookie cut for a demo. Just saying.

I thought the same when I was playing the demo the first time, but after a few tries it just clicked and it was unbelievably easy after all. Try it again, you won't regret it.

I thought the same when I was playing the demo the first time, but after a few tries it just clicked and it was unbelievably easy after all. Try it again, you won't regret it.

Oh I will try it again after I eat. I really want a good JRPG and believe it or not, I am enjoying White Knight Chronicles.

Fou-Lu

Well, originally I wanted to get a retail copy, but I don't want to wait for shipping and I won't be able to make it to a game store on release day, so digital copy it is.

I found this pretty good preview of the battle system, but I still don't really get it (haven't tried the demo yet either). Looks pretty chaotic in action.

What's that blue clock meter on the bottom left during battles? It says "cancel"...is that the cooldown time? The time until your character attacks? How does countering work?

I found this pretty good preview of the battle system, but I still don't really get it (haven't tried the demo yet either). Looks pretty chaotic in action.

What's that blue clock meter on the bottom left during battles? It says "cancel"...is that the cooldown time? The time until your character attacks? How does countering work?

active time duration of your attack. if you pick attack it keeps attacking until the timer is over or you cancel. if you cancel early there's a cool down before you can use attack again.

The Lamp

i bought my ps3 in 08 since i thought i would need one anyway for the last guardian. well that never happened but i'm going to buy this and unbox that console.

You have had an unboxed PS3 sitting in your house since 2008 that you were waiting to use for The Last Guardian???????

Have you no soul?

I can't imagine someone contemplating buying this + a PS3 and not being able to find a few other games to go with it. Plus, you're getting another Blu Ray player!

If you're interested in something like Ni No Kuni then Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and the upcoming tales of Xillia would be right up your alley.

Meanwhile you can try out the industries top pick for 2012 GOTY; journey, try MGS4, and wait for Beyond Two Souls, the Last of Us, Deadly Premonition: DC, etc.

This Post not endorsed by Sony(R) co. and affiliates in any way.

A console in its seventh year must have some good games out for it...

active time duration of your attack. if you pick attack it keeps attacking until the timer is over or you cancel. if you cancel early there's a cool down before you can use attack again.

Thanks for the explanation.

How about counterattacks? Do you know how those work? From t he video, it sounds like if you attack at the moment the enemy is, you can interrupt it...but how do you know when they attack? Just from reading animations, or is there a timed meter somewhere?

zeopower6

I can't imagine someone contemplating buying this + a PS3 and not being able to find a few other games to go with it. Plus, you're getting another Blu Ray player!

If you're interested in something like Ni No Kuni then Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, and the upcoming tales of Xillia would be right up your alley.

Meanwhile you can try out the industries top pick for 2012 GOTY; journey, try MGS4, and wait for Beyond Two Souls, the Last of Us, Deadly Premonition: DC, etc.

This Post not endorsed by Sony(R) co. and affiliates in any way.

A console in its seventh year must have some good games out for it...

Tokyo Jungle is also another must imo, lol. I love the quirky games that come out for the PS3. <3

TheExodu5

Banned
Really stoked for this game. Pre-ordered the Wizard Edition back in September on a whim. I expected a decent game, on par with Level 5's average. The reviews are implying this is a lot better than I expected, so that's a pleasant surprise.

Lucent

Well I'm pretty sure this definitely confirms that Ni no Kuni will be day one on PSN. At least if the game ever did become scarce, it'd always be available on there (or at least until PSN or the game eventually stops being supported).

I have my Wizard Edition pre-ordered and I hope Digital River gets that stuff to me this week. =l

Tokyo Jungle is also another must imo, lol. I love the quirky games that come out for the PS3. <3

gfWNp.png

Eusis

Really stoked for this game. Pre-ordered the Wizard Edition back in September on a whim. I expected a decent game, on par with Level 5's average. The reviews are implying this is a lot better than I expected, so that's a pleasant surprise.
I have to admit, I was expecting a fairly average Level 5 title again, great looking but not really all that engaging, but this seems to have flipped that expectation on its head.

Well, maybe not from a story perspective, but I've taken the stance of just being happy if a story doesn't actively annoy.

RedSwirl

I didn't even realize there was going to be a digital version. Already pre-ordered at GameStop for the steelbook though.

that's great its #1 on amazon :D selling more than blackops = there is hope for humanity
I have a feeling this game is going to blow away sales expectations.

This is a japanese-made exclusive for a sony system, and it's scoring AAA everywhere. PS3 owners seriously have a trend of taking note of things like this.

adixon

I have a feeling this game is going to blow away sales expectations.

This is a japanese-made exclusive for a sony system, and it's scoring AAA everywhere. PS3 owners seriously have a trend of taking note of things like this.

Not to mention some of us have been waiting an entire generation for something this level (fingers crossed) to happen in JRPGs. (The guy who's been waiting for The Last Guardian and never opened his PS3 being the extreme example, lol.)

Personally, this has been an incredibly disappointing generation coming off the PS2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well I'm pretty sure this definitely confirms that Ni no Kuni will be day one on PSN. At least if the game ever did become scarce, it'd always be available on there (or at least until PSN or the game eventually stops being supported).

I have my Wizard Edition pre-ordered and I hope Digital River gets that stuff to me this week. =l

gfWNp.png

I really liked Folklore for half of it. I just didn't understand the appeal of the repetition...the levels, pacing, progression, etc. just weren't different enough. It felt more like padding. But the game itself was beautiful and the music was really nice.

zeopower6

Is the digital edition Europe-only or something? Doesn't show up on US PSN? Or is it just not up for pre-order?

It will be placed on PSN on the 22nd. Kind of weird, but only EU has the preorder up with the bonus Familiars that are at Best Buy/Amazon in NA.

jiggle

it should be a nice feat if this manages the 150k demon souls debuted or the 160k 3d dot game heroes got
really curious about namco's expectations
they deserve some good sales for bringing over so many rpgs over this gen

Eusis

If this is topping Amazon's charts and getting 20 preordered at some stores I think there's a good chance it'll at least hit 100k minimum. But I'm not someone who crunches these numbers.

Sandfox

If this is topping Amazon's charts and getting 20 preordered at some stores I think there's a good chance it'll at least hit 100k minimum. But I'm not someone who crunches these numbers.

That would be kinda funny since almost everyone on Neogaf expected it to bomb.

zeopower6

I don't think anyone quite knew what was going to happen, but I for one did not expect the rave reviews. I was thinking 6s and 7s all around lol.

Eusis

I was expecting a lot of 8s and 7s with some 9s, similar to what Rogue Galaxy got.

Actually, that's a distinct possibility still. At any rate White Knight Chronicles this isn't.

zeopower6

Unfortunately, since the game came out quite some time ago in Japan, we'll probably not see any figures of him (figma, nendoroid, scale, etc). :(

Though he could end up like some figures and come out years after the release of his game/anime/whatever. -points at Yu Gi Oh! figures coming out this year and the Card Captor Sakura nendoroid-

BTW, apparently FYEs are selling this game and are not stopped by a "cannot sell" message like at Target, so some people from Chicago already have their copies.

Unfortunately, since the game came out quite some time ago in Japan, we'll probably not see any figures of him (figma, nendoroid, scale, etc). :(

Though he could end up like some figures and come out years after the release of his game/anime/whatever. -points at Yu Gi Oh! figures coming out this year and the Card Captor Sakura nendoroid-

BTW, apparently FYEs are selling this game and are not stopped by a "cannot sell" message like at Target, so some people from Chicago already have their copies.
Too late. Its just 2 days away. Lol

Top Bottom