• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

LotusHD

Banned
heh, i'm at the part where the title of this thread references. now i get it :)

whoa...who are those 2 girls that appear when 2b is choking 9S after killing eve? i don't remember seeing them in the first playthrough. are they the twins that appear to give you the scanner to find 9S?

What girls? ;D

This game is truly something.

That final battle against the title credit. That version of "The Weight of the World". Getting help from fellow players, seeing each of their data lost when I screwed up only to be replaced by another player willing to sacrifice their save file so that I can make it to the end was truly something.

So I left a message to others struggling like me, hoping that my messages can encourage them to persevere.

But when the pod asked whether or not I'm willing to make the same sacrifice as those who helped me...I faltered. I refused. I was not and am still not ready to part way with my progress and restart from zero.

I am ashamed of myself.

Finally getting back to this, stopped halfway through Route B, I love the game just had PC issues at the time and also ended up buying bloodborne so never really got back into this. With PC sorted and plenty of free time I'll hopefully complete the game within the next couple of weeks.

Eu3zsan.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Finally getting back to this, stopped halfway through Route B, I love the game just had PC issues at the time and also ended up buying bloodborne so never really got back into this. With PC sorted and plenty of free time I'll hopefully complete the game within the next couple of weeks.

Eu3zsan.gif

you gonna start posting all gifs in here now?

LotusHD

Banned
This game is truly something.

That final battle against the title credit. That version of "The Weight of the World". Getting help from fellow players, seeing each of their data lost when I screwed up only to be replaced by another player willing to sacrifice their save file so that I can make it to the end was truly something.

So I left a message to others struggling like me, hoping that my messages can encourage them to persevere.

But when the pod asked whether or not I'm willing to make the same sacrifice as those who helped me...I faltered. I refused. I was not and am still not ready to part way with my progress and restart from zero.

I am ashamed of myself.

It's ok. I didn't immediately give it away either.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I started Route C. I had it spoiled so knew it was coming but
still felt sad about 2B dying.
I picked to support
A2
. Haven't really played beyond that part. So far the game feels more difficult! I got 1 shot by a large machine. I think it was lvl 60 but I'm only lvl 39 right now.

Route B didn't do much for me but I'm really enjoying it again now.

Zeneric

I've been playing through on Hard for my second time through and I'm not getting this complaint in the slightest. Enemies go down pretty fast in both modes--it just turns you into paper mache without health chips. In fact, the game's pretty unbalanced on normal, you'll quickly be overleveled if you do sidequests.

But I guess if you've checked out already any length of time is probably going to be too long, and you're probably making it worse for yourself by not doing sidequests and being underleveled. This isn't a game that really benefits from trying to rush to the *good part*

Maybe you're right; doing a lot of sidequests on normal difficulty was a mistake. But the sidequests exist on the normal difficulty for you to complete, designed by the devs. There was no warning sign that says "Don't do sidequests or you'll be too overleveled - you'll be bored - the game doesn't get harder". I went in blind not knowing what to expect. I thought: maybe the game gets harder later on - maybe that's why the sidequests exist. It never got harder. Sure, some games have sidequests that allow you to be overleveled and plow through. But not all games do that. Sidequests in some games exist to prepare you for tough times ahead. When I see that sidequests are in a game I expect that something harder will come that make doing sidequests worth it. I always overestimate too much.

I played Nier on hard difficulty for only 10-15 min before I got bored and quit. It's just when I realized that the enemies became more spongy and nothing else; when all I had to do was mash the attack/dodge/hack (route b) buttons more - I turned it off immediately. Maybe I need to play more to recognize the balance of the hard difficulty and act to it and finally enjoy it.

That's the thing.
I wonder whether I really need to pay too much attention to plugins and chip fusion on normal difficulty. I'm currently still in the early parts of route C (
just defeated that boss in the desert
) and as long as I have enough healing items stocked the game isn't really too difficult so far. Okay, apart from getting one shotted by certain big machines. More health might help in that case.
Still intend to do some Deadly/Offensive Heal farming as seen in a youtube video, but I get the impression that I don't really need to.

Eu3zsan.gif

What the...? Have never seen that spear/large sword move.

Neverfade

Question for early/mid(?) Route A:

I just got the quest to head back to the Resistance Camp from the machine village. At this point the Amusement Park robots are friendly. I also see they can drop +Exp chips. Are there any gameplay repercussions for fucking these dudes up repeatedly?

LotusHD

Banned
Question for early/mid(?) Route A:

I just got the quest to head back to the Resistance Camp from the machine village. At this point the Amusement Park robots are friendly. I also see they can drop +Exp chips. Are there any gameplay repercussions for fucking these dudes up repeatedly?

Nope.

Regarding route E

I'm pretty sure you don't hurt anyone by not giving up your save file. Most players lose data a lot more times than one after accepting help. The game is definitely lying about other people's data being lost forever if you take damage after accepting help

Regarding route E

I'm pretty sure you don't hurt anyone by not giving up your save file. Most players lose data a lot more times than one after accepting help. The game is definitely lying about other people's data being lost forever if you take damage after accepting help
You don't hurt anyone. Those people already lost their data the moment they decided to help at the end of their play-through. It's "just" a moral decision since most likely you couldn't have done it alone.

Hektor

How long does it take to finish Route A? I’m not enjoying the game enough to do further playthroughs.

No auto-save fucking sucks.

If you do not plan on going down the other routes there is no point in finishing A either.

It's between 8 and 15 hours depending wether or not you do all the sideqursts

I'm still kind of churning the game over in my mind since finishing it a few days ago, and the thing that sticks out to me is how cohesive and absolutely personal it feels, and I'm struggling to think of the last time a game of this size and budget felt so personal.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
I'm still kind of churning the game over in my mind since finishing it a few days ago, and the thing that sticks out to me is how cohesive and absolutely personal it feels, and I'm struggling to think of the last time a game of this size and budget felt so personal.

All of the characters are super flawed in various ways, but they're all still really sympathetic. I just wanted all of them to be happy. The story, their struggles, the conflict between both sides on the grander scale, all of it came together really satisfyingly for me.

SprachBrooks said:
How long does it take to finish Route A? I'm not enjoying the game enough to do further playthroughs.

Zero point to playing further if you can barely even make it through route A. I'm perfectly serious--route B won't change your mind and A won't do anything to salvage your impressions. You either like it or ya don't.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
How long does it take to finish Route A? I’m not enjoying the game enough to do further playthroughs.

took me about maybe 12 hours? i can't remember exactly. i did some side quests but eventually just ditched them because i wasn't enjoying them.

if you're not enjoying it then you should just stop because the next playthrough is about 80% the same. in my opinion it was a waste of time and all the new content should've just been included in the first playthrough. the third playthrough picks it back up but yeah if you're not enjoying the general gameplay, story, or characters then maybe you should stop.

If you do not plan on going down the other routes there is no point in finishing A either.

It's between 8 and 15 hours depending wether or not you do all the sideqursts

How does Route B work? Do you basically just start over again playing as Nines? The gameplay itself is fine, but for a game that requires multiple playthroughs, Jesus did they work hard to make traversing the world as tedious as possible.

Ascheroth

How does Route B work? Do you basically just start over again playing as Nines? The gameplay itself is fine, but for a game that requires multiple playthroughs, Jesus did they work hard to make traversing the world as tedious as possible.
Yes, but the sections where 2B and 9S are together are shortened or have some little extras and C is entirely new, and 9S plays differently.
I loved traversal in the game. Running, jumping, dashing and gliding around while listening to awesome music was great. And there's fast travel point nearly everywhere.

Franziska

The game keeps on crashing (Endgame spoilers)
every few deaths in the credits shmup. Seems to increase in frequency when Square Enix/Character Development show up, but that could be because I don't really die until then. http://i.imgur.com/IUrui0E.png

Any fix/workaround for this?

Route E spoilers:
Oh bloody hell. I never expected {Platinum to Out-Nintendoing Nintendo. Even Fi's constant prompts weren't as obnoxious. And the cheat suit in NSMB3DS/SM3DLs disappeared after you ignored it once IIRC. But the game prompts me with a rescue offer every single death. Combined with skipping through the pods and rushing through 9Ss memories with A2 repeatedly because of crashes I might just decide to screw ending E.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
omfg the hacking games have upped difficulty! i was doing the
flooded city resource unit
and i kept dying :( managed to get through though!

i kinda dont want this game to end. i love the characters too much.
i was upset about 2B dying and not sure about A2 but have warmed up to her.

it's basically from the perspective of 9S with hacking added and new cutscenes.

as for getting around have you unlocked fast travel yet? i hated having to run everywhere at first but then fast travel unlocked. i usually hate doing it but in this it's not as bad.

if you're interested in the story then definitely keep playing. there is a huge revelation at the end of route B. if you just play the first route then you're missing out on so much.

Hektor

The game keeps on crashing (Endgame spoilers)
every few deaths in the credits shmup. Seems to increase in frequency when Square Enix/Character Development show up, but that could be because I don't really die until then. http://i.imgur.com/IUrui0E.png

Any fix/workaround for this?

Route E spoilers:
Oh bloody hell. I never expected {Platinum to Out-Nintendoing Nintendo. Even Fi's constant prompts weren't as obnoxious. And the cheat suit in NSMB3DS/SM3DLs disappeared after you ignored it once IIRC. But the game prompts me with a rescue offer every single death. Combined with skipping through the pods and rushing through 9Ss memories with A2 repeatedly because of crashes I might just decide to screw ending E.

Regarding E:

It prompted you with a rescue offer after every single death because you are literally not supposed to do it without. It's nearly impossible to do.

Once I eventually replay this on PC I need to slow down combat a bit and try to see all of this crazy shit. My first time through I had the camera pulled pretty far back and it was easy to miss out on tons of great animations due to distance and the sheer number of effects popping off around you at any given time.

Franziska

Route E
Managed to get to the third Square Enix credit, when the game promptly crashed without me even dying. Didn't even show the "NieR:Automata has stopped working" popup this time. One moment I have 2 HP left, next I'm staring at my wallpaper.

MFW

Not a chance in hell am I accepting a rescue. The game being designed to force you to accept multiplayer makes me want to solo it even more.

LotusHD

Banned
Route E
Managed to get to the third Square Enix credit, when the game promptly crashed without me even dying. Didn't even show the "NieR:Automata has stopped working" popup this time. One moment I have 2 HP left, next I'm staring at my wallpaper.

MFW

Not a chance in hell am I accepting a rescue. The game being designed to force you to accept multiplayer makes me want to solo it even more.

Well... good luck.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
finished route C. really enjoyed the game except for route B. i know there is plenty more things to do but i am happy to stop now. i'll definitely be going back to the game again at some point to do a real slow playthrough and do all side quests and try get more endings.

a lot of the story went over my head to be honest. i'm going to need to read up on some stuff. for example, i wanted to know why
humanity went extinct but as far as i can tell it had something to do with gestalt and maybe those twin androids. i don't know exactly what gestalt is
...i think maybe i should've played the first game.

i'm going to miss 2B/A2/9S. that's for sure.

LotusHD

Banned
finished route C. really enjoyed the game except for route B. i know there is plenty more things to do but i am happy to stop now. i'll definitely be going back to the game again at some point to do a real slow playthrough and do all side quests and try get more endings.

a lot of the story went over my head to be honest. i'm going to need to read up on some stuff. for example, i wanted to know why
humanity went extinct but as far as i can tell it had something to do with gestalt and maybe those twin androids. i don't know exactly what gestalt is
...i think maybe i should've played the first game.

i'm going to miss 2B/A2/9S. that's for sure.

You're not finished with the game. There's still 2 more main routes, Routes D and E.

LotusHD

Banned
is that even soloable?

I checked YouTube and there's very few videos. I can imagine they spent ages trying to get it too

It apparently is, but it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to the point that I have to question the sanity of anyone willing to try...

Coreda

is that even soloable?

I checked YouTube and there's very few videos. I can imagine they spent ages trying to get it too

Route E difficulty stuff.
Last I checked there wasn't a video of a complete solo run. I'd be very impressed to see one though. After the SE logo appears it ramps up the difficulty several fold and by the end is insane.
Perhaps the most annoying thing for me is the fact the screen
is limited to 16:9 even if playing on wider resolutions, so I often felt robbed of a legitimate escape path when hitting invisible barriers :/

Hesemonni

Banned
Finally managed to start playing this. I'm a huge fan of the original Nier and part of reason not playing was to dampen down the totally unrealistic expectations I had for the game. Nevertheless I'm now 6 hrs in and I'm enjoying the game very much. Can't wait for the inevitable gut punch that's coming my way!

T-Rex.

Banned
Playing through the Witcher 3 DLC currently, maybe that will cure me lol
The only game/visual novel that's managed to keep me hooked after Automata is The House in Fata Morgana, everything else has been a let down. Luckily I never really used to play Japanese games until the PS4 (bar popular stuff like Metal Gear etc) so I can go back to pretty much the PS1 era and find gems to play.

Voidwolf

I'm about to lose my mind here so hopefully one of you can help. I've heard lots of bad things about the PC port but the first 4 hours I played the game it ran just fine. Ever since then I've had it crash on me every 20-60 mins and it's driving me insane because this is such an amazing game. Has anyone had any similar issues and figured out a solution?

sorathecrow

Neo Member
The only game/visual novel that's managed to keep me hooked after Automata is The House in Fata Morgana, everything else has been a let down. Luckily I never really used to play Japanese games until the PS4 (bar popular stuff like Metal Gear etc) so I can go back to pretty much the PS1 era and find gems to play.

The first three chapters of Morgana were an absolute slog for me, but things really picked up around chapter 4. How far in are you?

If you're exploring more Japanese games right now, I'd recommend checking out Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria too.

I think pod 042 and 153 like each other

I ship it!

I'm about to lose my mind here so hopefully one of you can help. I've heard lots of bad things about the PC port but the first 4 hours I played the game it ran just fine. Ever since then I've had it crash on me every 20-60 mins and it's driving me insane because this is such an amazing game. Has anyone had any similar issues and figured out a solution?

Are you on an AMD or a 700-series Nvidia card? Are your drivers up to date? They pushed an update to address crashing a little while ago.

Top Bottom