• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

emag

Route C:

Fucking hell. After a whole tower of hacking bullshit, the "boss" kills me immediately with a raging demon and I'm kicked back to my last save (from well before the area)?

That aside, I have to admit the story isn't going the way I expected.
It was obvious from the start that the humans (and aliens) were extinct, though I suppose the characters wouldn't pick up on the same signs the player would. During route A, I thought 9S was an anti-machine monster that was actively suppressing evidence of machine sentience whereas 2B was just gullible; once they met A2, I thought she'd be fighting on the side of the machines (and the King Baby she stabbed was a decoy). Instead it appears that 9S is just in denial and A2 is anti-machine but is too non-conformist to stay with YoRHa.

9S sees all the extra exposition/flashbacks in route B that the player sees, right? The shared inventory, messages, and data files between the three androids makes this a bit unclear.

Also, that OT2 title coming up in route B.

Also, since this is my first NieR: Automata post of substance, I have to agree with the map hate. There's no reason I've seen that the large map needs to be 3D and rotatable. A standard 2D map with a fixed north would have been so much easier to use. Other than that, the fast travel load times, and the situation I mentioned above, I've really enjoyed my Automata experience so far. It's easily in my top three games of 2017, along with Monument Valley 2 and Nioh.

Abylim

Just got the plat. Holy shit what a game.

My biggest complaints are 9S centric. Character spoilers
Hate his combat, his evade or dash attack is fukcing garbage. As a result, I felt gimped for dodging half the time, because his attack that followed was always throwing the weapon in front of him, and it's inferior to shockwave spam. Hacking was amusing for awhile, but towards the end of the game it's just annoying.

Playing as 2B and A2 was great, though.

Overall amazing game.

Just bought the game and finished the "introduction". Do you guys recommend English or Japanese for VO? I chose JP for now, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

LotusHD

Banned
Just bought the game and finished the "introduction". Do you guys recommend English or Japanese for VO? I chose JP for now, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

The English dub is outstanding, even moreso than the JP one imo, so go with that. One of the rare times that a lot of people seem to agree on this, although both are great nonetheless.

I do wish there were a bit more variety in the 'stages,' but I generally had a lot of fun with hacking. (I never got tired of the brief period of slow-mo as you finish one hack and move directly into another as shit is exploding all around you, lol.)

I haven't heard much of the Japanese track (I'm sure it's good) but the translation and VO for the English dub is top-notch.

Moaradin

English because it's fantastic and you'll miss out on some dialogue if you play it in Japanese (unless you actually understand Japanese). Plus I've heard a lot of people complain about subtitle timings.

sorathecrow

Neo Member

I went English and didn't regret it for two reasons. One, the acting was really good, and they conveyed some really powerful emotions when they needed to. Two, it's a major pain to read subtitles on hard in the middle of a bullet hell segment.

As a weeblord who usually prefers Japanese voices (and speaks a bit of Japanese) I think the English dub is much more preferable in this game.

Soar

Played it in Eng for a bit to try it out and it's really great all around. My playthroughs were in JP however as I understand some and I love Yui's voice work, she really made 2B work all the subtle emotions. She also did Mikasa from Attack of the Titans.

You guys got me, I switched over to English VO. Liking it well enough so far. By the way, does anyone know why FAR might have stopped working? I can see and toggle the overlay, but the settings don't show up, despite them working yesterday (when I first booted up the game).

Soar

This must have been posted before but I was so surprised to see that each machine lifeform's head has
internals based on Emil. Were they all made by copies of himself? Were they the ones who killed the aliens? Does that mean Emil (through his copies ) managed to kill the aliens and ultimately create the androids since they have the same cores? Hmm.

vhdiEC2.png

Got FAR to work again. The items marked "can be traded/sold for money" are safe to sell right? I won't end up needing them later?

Voidwolf

Should I be doing all the sidequests in Route A or will I get a chance to do them on later playthroughs? Any that are recommended to skip/just not worth it? Will I lose my upgrades on future playthroughs?

Hektor

Should I be doing all the sidequests in Route A or will I get a chance to do them on later playthroughs? Any that are recommended to skip/just not worth it? Will I lose my upgrades on future playthroughs?

You can't permanenty miss sidequests

If you are really, really interested in the world and don't mind their mediocre design, do them all.

However, if you don't feel inclined to do so, LotusHD made a list of the better ones here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

You don't lose upgrades

Voidwolf

You can't permanenty miss sidequests

If you are really, really interested in the world and don't mind their mediocre design, do them all.

However, if you don't feel inclined to do so, LotusHD made a list of the better ones here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

You don't lose upgrades

So far I'm enjoying every minute of it, and it's not even a usual case of "I need to do everything before progressing the story", I just find myself working on them as I get them or am near the area. But there are times where I want to play the main mission, and it's kind of annoying running from one end of the world to the other and back as I don't have quick travel yet.
I just beat the goliath in the city ruins and have been ordered to investigate the alien signal coming from underground.

This must have been posted before but I was so surprised to see that each machine lifeform's head has
internals based on Emil. Were they all made by copies of himself? Were they the ones who killed the aliens? Does that mean Emil (through his copies ) managed to kill the aliens and ultimately create the androids since they have the same cores? Hmm.

The aliens were actually the ones who copied Emil.
There's a funny radio drama released years before Automata in which Emil meets the first aliens to arrive on Earth. When it came out, nobody in the fandom took it as an important part of the timeline, and yet, here we are.

The robot creating timeline goes like this:
  • Angelus, Caim and the Queen Beast are transported to Earth from the Drakenguard world, contaminating it with Maso (magic), resulting in a magical epidemic/monster infestation. The first Androids and experimental modified humans like Emil are created to combat them.
  • Mandkind nears its extinction, and the Popola and Devola model line of Androids are tasked with the plan to prevent this. (Project Gestalt) Then, the plot of Nier Gestalt/Replicant takes place.
  • The remaining Androids and Emil are left to their own devices on Earth until Aliens arrive one day. Emil duplicates himself to combat them, and soon looses track of all his copies.
  • To fight him, it looks like the Aliens developed the Machine Lifeforms to mimic the physiology and abilities of the Emil clones. The Aliens are a little plant-like, so they develop the Machine Cores to have similarities to a plant cell. The fights between Aliens and Emil escalates until it includes the Androids.
  • Eventually, Androids are overrun and flee to outer space. There, they develop special military technology in hopes of defeating the Alien forces. An example of said military tech is the YorHa Android. They differ from other Androids due to the Black Box powering them. Black Boxes are made from Machine Lifeform Cores, and the greater energy output from said Cores allows them to be faster and stronger than other Androids. However, the Android higher ups don't consider YorHa Androids to be "true" Androids due to their hybrid nature, and thus, YorHa are disposable.
  • The Machine Lifeforms encounter a sentient robot created by humans on Earth in the past. (P-33 from the original Nier) P-33 teaches the Machines how to be sentient before leaving for space. The Machines become disgusted with their less advanced creators and eradicate the Aliens. However, this leaves them with a lack of direction and purpose in life that the Machines still struggle with.

Golnei

I think pod 042 and 153 like each other

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/212c031922c95ed840b9fcd40136844b/tumblr_oub45ebIxs1v0lyb0o1_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/14bf7df37f349d4ff69d9321abc53bf7/tumblr_oub45ebIxs1v0lyb0o2_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/cb8aa04834571e84255c36c77f685b85/tumblr_oub45ebIxs1v0lyb0o7_r1_1280.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/6b44b12da3297aa8220c52e43358b0cf/tumblr_oub45ebIxs1v0lyb0o5_1280.png[/IMG]

emag

I wouldn't think of them as additional playthroughs as much as chapters of the story. You'll keep all your upgrades and completed quests, and you can use the chapter select later to go back to any quests you missed in a given route/chapter.

You get fast travel access maybe five or so hours into the game at "average" speed, very shortly after the mission you're currently on. 2B runs pretty quickly though at top speed (hold a direction and press evade).

Soar

The aliens were actually the ones who copied Emil.
There's a funny radio drama released years before Automata in which Emil meets the first aliens to arrive on Earth. When it came out, nobody in the fandom took it as an important part of the timeline, and yet, here we are.

[snip]

Thank you! I really should get to the short stories and concert transcripts!

Neverfade

Any chip farming guides out there? I mostly just want to get the best Exp, Movement Speed, and Attack Up sets. I'm early-ish Route C if that helps.

Edit: nevermind. Just wrapped it all up. Easy enough as is.

Review: Hmmm.

Just making my way through Route B and trying to do the Recluse sidequests, on the second part... are these even possible? Time ends consistently upon my arrival at the last block before the orb. Is there some chip program that makes this drastically easier or something? Because the first step in this quest was already a stretch of the available time, and this one doesn't even seem remotely possible. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

Hektor

Just making my way through Route B and trying to do the Recluse sidequests, on the second part... are these even possible? Time ends consistently upon my arrival at the last block before the orb. Is there some chip program that makes this drastically easier or something? Because the first step in this quest was already a stretch of the available time, and this one doesn't even seem remotely possible. What the hell am I doing wrong here?

Are you trying to kill all the black boxes? Cos that isn't necessary, just get to the end.

You also need to pay attention to taking the shortest route, some a longer the mother's.

That sidequest generally isn't considered to be hard.

Are you trying to kill all the black boxes? Cos that isn't necessary, just get to the end.

You also need to pay attention to taking the shortest route, some a longer the mother's.

That sidequest generally isn't considered to be hard.

ONLY shooting the necessary black boxes for the shortest path, nary a moment wasted. I don't know what's going wrong but the time limit is, if possible, extremely difficult for me. Could it have anything to do with using Borderless Gaming on PC?

If you care to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong I'm broadcasting explicitly for the purpose of being told what the hell I'm doing wrong. :V

https://www.twitch.tv/truestatic1

Realize that may be a bit much to ask but I'd love to complete the questline and I'm stumped.
Gave up on that for now, maybe I'll try to get someone to look at it during reasonable hours tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!

e: turns out I wasn't actually making it to the last block, there's one even after the one I was making it to. No clue here. I think I'd need at least 10 seconds just to get through that set of thin blocks, nevermind the time it'd take to kill the orb. So bizarre. Either this is broken or there's something very basic I'm not getting here.

Hektor

Does anyone know if it's faster to dash repeatedly or to sprint? I need to finish that third race and I'm very very close.

ONLY shooting the necessary black boxes for the shortest path, nary a moment wasted. I don't know what's going wrong but the time limit is, if possible, extremely difficult for me. Could it have anything to do with using Borderless Gaming on PC?

If you care to tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong I'm broadcasting explicitly for the purpose of being told what the hell I'm doing wrong. :V

https://www.twitch.tv/truestatic1

Realize that may be a bit much to ask but I'd love to complete the questline and I'm stumped.
Gave up on that for now, maybe I'll try to get someone to look at it during reasonable hours tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!

e: turns out I wasn't actually making it to the last block, there's one even after the one I was making it to. No clue here. I think I'd need at least 10 seconds just to get through that set of thin blocks, nevermind the time it'd take to kill the orb. So bizarre. Either this is broken or there's something very basic I'm not getting here.

Sorry, wasn't online when you streamed.

Anyways, the quest really isn't particularily hard, like, it's literally just shooting and pushing the stick forward, there is no way to actually be bad at it imho.

If you really can't finish it, then i'd think you are really encountering some weird of bug, as there are no damage values or level ups inside the hacking game to make you stronger.

Sorry, wasn't online when you streamed.

Anyways, the quest really isn't particularily hard, like, it's literally just shooting and pushing the stick forward, there is no way to actually be bad at it imho.

If you really can't finish it, then i'd think you are really encountering some weird of bug, as there are no damage values or level ups inside the hacking game to make you stronger.

Fair enough, thanks.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165986060

That's three attempts and as you can see it's nowhere even close. Maybe I'll come back to it after I've cleared all the routes, because at this point I think it's time to move onto the
point of no return.

Hektor

Fair enough, thanks.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/165986060

That's three attempts and as you can see it's nowhere even close. Maybe I'll come back to it after I've cleared all the routes, because at this point I think it's time to move onto the
point of no return.

Maybe i'm imagining things, but the boxes survive longer than they should? They seem to blink less (blinking meaning they took damage)

If i look up this video (potential spoilers in the recommendations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGqF_z28ibk

It seems to be the frequency of the boxes getting hit is higher

That video goes through all 5 final block rows and the ball in 6 seconds

Where as you take 5 seconds and can't even get past the third.

You make some occasional mistake of hitting boxes right next to them, which lowers your DPS so to speak, but i'm not convinced that's the reason.

This is you

8mIO4Eu.gif

This is captured from the youtube video

Cea7oQE.gif

You take two full seconds to kill a block compared to the half a second of the video.

Are you perhaps manually triggering each shot?

Nope. Tried mashing the bumper, but it was slower, so I went back to just holding it down. Maybe I'll try a different controller? This is so bizarre. I didn't expect your in depth gif making instant replay, but I'm grateful for it. And yes, I agree. It does feel like things take longer to die. I feel like... I just had an idea. Could the blocks be getting the benefit of my anti-chain damage chips somehow? Cuz that looks like what this is.

e: took off my chain damage chip, didn't make a difference. But they're not getting a hit marker on like... half the shots.

Hektor

Nope. Tried mashing the bumper, but it was slower, so I went back to just holding it down. Maybe I'll try a different controller? This is so bizarre. I didn't expect your in depth gif making instant replay, but I'm grateful for it. And yes, I agree. It does feel like things take longer to die. I feel like... I just had an idea. Could the blocks be getting the benefit of my anti-chain damage chips somehow? Cuz that looks like what this is.

e: took off my chain damage chip, didn't make a difference. But they're not getting a hit marker on like... half the shots.

Chips and stats shouldn't affect anything inside that minigame, i think not even the difficulty selection does.

Anyways, i googled a bit and -->
https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512625248832244/

It seems as opposed to the normal combat, the arcade minigame is tied to framerate.

The game usually runs (or rather is supposed to run) at 60FPS on both PC and Console.

If you happen to play at a lower framerate that might explain it.

If that's not it, i'm out of ideas.

Chips and stats shouldn't affect anything inside that minigame, i think not even the difficulty selection does.

Anyways, i googled a bit and -->
https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512625248832244/

It seems as opposed to the normal combat, the arcade minigame is tied to framerate.

The game usually runs (or rather is supposed to run) at 60FPS on both PC and Console.

If you happen to play at a lower framerate that might explain it.

If that's not it, i'm out of ideas.

It is in fact running at 30. I'll try installing FAR and see if that fixes it. Thanks again, sorry for the hassle!

e: turned off vsync, instant fix.

Top Bottom