• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

blamite

Nothing is missable.
Emil shop is randomized after you transport. He'll be in different areas/have different music. He also sells rare materials when playing fast music.
For his first fight you only need to do the conversation about where he lives, go there,
steal one thing, talk to him again, go back, steel the other thing, and he fights you on the way out. The 100% all weapons is for the second fight that gives you the y ending.
Make sure you do his fight twice to get the y ending and get the quest ending.
(got to kill the exploding head to get the quest ending). Even after that fight you can still buy from him during chapter select.

You also going for 100% fish/unit/intel and everything else?

A tip on fishing, you can use any button to cast/reel. Also the dunk isn't the only signal you have a fish. When watching the lure move slowly, if you ever notice it completely stop (not the quick dunk that also stops temporarily) or move in the other direction, you can lure in because you have a fish. Sped up my fishing completion a bit. Also if you are using the wiki, the arowana machine is much easier to catch in the king of the valley ravine under the rope bridge.

Thanks!

I actually ended up getting the weapons from him in a pretty weird way;
I got bored of entering and exiting the desert to reset his spawn and just switched to the A2 chapter where you leave the desert, then on the way to the Resistance camp I ran into him first by the desert exit, and then AGAIN right in front of the camp. First time I'd ever seen him spawn twice without leaving the city.

I'm almost done with everything except for the fish, which is only at 48%. I don't think I have the patience to 100% that category but maybe once I've finished everything else I'll feel like I have to do it anyway for completionism's sake!

By the way, anyone have any idea if there could be any more DLC coming, or has the ship for that sailed by this point?

cLOUDo

I'm starting
Route C, holy fuck this feels like I'm playing the sequel
Amazing

PD: I
rape Emil at level 85
I overreacting for the level i think lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just started the game. Just finished the
amusement park and found the machine village
. Totally blind, other than playing the demo and hearing that a lot of people loved this game.

Thoughts so far:
- Combat is mashy but in a good, accessible way. Feels more MGR than Bayonetta, which is good for me because I don't really have the time or patience to learn another system as complicated as Bayonetta's. MGR was more fun to pick up and play, and I'm getting a similar vibe here.
- Camera kind of blows. Is there an auto center on target button, or a way to change lock-on targets?
- Music is good.
- I like the flying sections. I like that genre of game anyway, and they don't seem to overstay their welcome here the way they do in Bayo 1.
- I don't like the open world. I really want more fast travel points or something, because a lot of my time is spent just sprinting from place to place.
- I like the story so far.
The machines seem to be developing human emotions, which obviously conflicts with the whole "machines don't have feelings" thing that's coming from the Yorha androids. Not to mention the Yorha units all seem to have their own personalities as well. I'm already finding it morally difficult to fight the machines, and simply walked past most of them in the amusement park.
I'm mostly waiting for machines to pick fights with me before I fight back, while ignoring all the ones that don't seem hostile.
- That guy wearing the mask in the
resistance camp
is a Yoko Taro self-insert, isn't it?
- Voice acting seems about on par for both English and JP voices. I switched back and forth for a while, then settled on English because I got tired of reading slightly delayed white text subtitles on bright backgrounds.

emag

You'll get fast travel about 5 hours into the game if you stick mostly to the main quests.

Lock-on is disabled in hard mode, but is otherwise one of the triggers (L2/LT?) by default; you can switch targets with the right analog stick.

Hektor

Is it worth upgrading the starter weapons? I haven't actually bought any other weapons yet because the default small sword seems fine and easy to upgrade, and I kinda like the fists + sword moveset. The greatsword's moveset seems kind of eh, but I'm hoping it'll get better with upgrades.

If you do a lot of sidequest you'll most likely end the game with 20 or so weapons at max level anyways, so it's not really worth the headache thinking about.

The movesets don't change with upgrades tho

Having a boss fight in the middle of plot exposition is pretty stupid. I'm glad I'm using English voices, because there's no way I'm reading subtitles while watching the boss at the same time.

Better get used to it now lol

Ascheroth

If you do a lot of sidequest you'll most likely end the game with 20 or so weapons at max level anyways, so it's not really worth the headache thinking about.

The movesets don't change with upgrades tho
Don't you get longer combos with the upgrades?

Ascheroth

I'll do that as I get more money. It sounds like money is easy to come by, but so far I'm not seeing it. I'm constantly hovering at around 10k.

It is pretty neat how every weapon has some text and story behind it, though. It's a nice touch.

They get extra moves added to the end of their combos, right? At least I think that's what I've noticed.

Damn it lol. When it happened (the
alien ship thing fighting the bishie twins
) I was mostly just mashing dodge while hoping for them to stop talking so that I could focus on actually fighting them.
You can sell everything that says you can sell it.
Except Desert Roses, I think.

emag

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

With the talk about multiple endings and people getting their minds blown, I'm hoping all these seemingly unrelated things will get explained later, similar to how a good VN like 999/VLR does it.

Everything of note is explained.

Just bear in mind that "endings" F-Z are just gimmick/joke endings. Endings A-E aren't really alternatives to one another either -- they fit together like 999's Coffin Ending and True Ending.

LotusHD

Banned
Spoilers, but I liked this AV Club article (spoilers) on the game.

Spoilers

Nice article.

---

http://www.dualshockers.com/playstation-vr-legend-zelda-breath-wild-nier-automata-win-cedec-awards/

Wee, Nier won a thing.

The Sound Award was granted to NieR: Automata for creating a soundtrack deeply linked to the game's world wiew, with production that is both unique and impressive. The score has been successful also as its own musical work outside of the game.

Reading the new update to The Dark Id's LP of the game...and...

I never (midway route A spoiler)
tried to fight the city invasion Engels without climbing the building first and doing it the proper way, but apparently there's unique dialogue for killing them on the ground, and you get bonus chips/money/items as a reward?
Wtf game, why am I learning this half a year later

LotusHD

Banned
Reading the new update to The Dark Id's LP of the game...and...

I never (midway route A spoiler)
tried to fight the city invasion Engels without climbing the building first and doing it the proper way, but apparently there's unique dialogue for killing them on the ground, and you get bonus chips/money/items as a reward?
Wtf game, why am I learning this half a year later

Wait, what?

Link please

Wait, what?

Link please

How do random people in that LP thread keep finding these Yoko Taro easter eggs that no one else on the internet even knows about?

Earlier in the thread I learned that the
friendly Engels
can randomly prank you by starting a pretend boss fight as you're passing by.

LotusHD

Banned
How do random people in that LP thread keep finding these Yoko Taro easter eggs that no one else on the internet even knows about?

Earlier in the thread I learned that the
friendly Engels
can randomly prank you by starting a pretend boss fight as you're passing by.

I found out about that one awhile ago at least lol

Akuun

Got Ending A last night. I have no idea what's going on.

The combat looks cool in this game, but so far it's really ho-hum. It kind of reminds me of Muramasa in that you can mostly just mash and watch flashy shit happen without worrying too much about timing. MGR was mashy and not all that calculated either, but this game goes further towards the mashy side of the spectrum. The occasionally awkward camera angles don't help either.

Definitely really like the chip system. It's funny how they added super powerful Bayonetta abilities like dodge offset and parrying into chips that don't even take that much space. The devs obviously wanted to give you the option to be broken as fuck in this game.

It's neat that the next playthrough
seems to retell the same story from 9S' perspective, though. His attitude during the tutorial section makes me wonder if he's hiding something.

Akuun

I think I'll do this next route with less auto-healing/regen chips. They broke the game a little too much.

Being able to use the free space for more offensive-oriented chips would probably help with the enemies being somewhat damage spongey in some areas, too.

Soar

Try it on hard. You won't be able to blitz a whole bunch of enemies as easily. Only problem with it is the bullet hell phases will be horrible as each hit takes out roughly 40-60% of your life.

Akuun

Sure, I'll try that. I used to be into bullet hell games, so I often play like there isn't a health bar during those phases anyway lol.

Is anyone interested in organizing a group buy for the NieR Vinyl set that was just announced?

Would it be possible with how SE sells and ships them?

Akuun

Noped out of Hard mode. Losing lock-on is too much when I already have trouble controlling the camera. I'll just settle for the relatively forgiving combat, which I'm starting to think is a good thing because the story seems relatively slow paced anyway, and dying more would make things go even slower. Not to mention it helps during those boss fights where you're trying to listen to the boss instead of fight him.

I'm spending some more time poking around the sidequests, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time. I'm also still very confused at the
Yorha Betrayers sidequest, because I still don't see anyone at those highlighted spots
. Not sure if that's something that makes more sense later.

Yorha Betrayers sidequest, because I still don't see anyone at those highlighted spots

There's three spots they can randomly spawn at, and I don't know if zoning/transporting/save+loading changes their current location. Just make sure you're checking the right locations.
Top of the Engels, top of the building where you first landed in the city, and behind/under the broken bridge leading to the factory.

LotusHD

Banned
Noped out of Hard mode. Losing lock-on is too much when I already have trouble controlling the camera. I'll just settle for the relatively forgiving combat, which I'm starting to think is a good thing because the story seems relatively slow paced anyway, and dying more would make things go even slower. Not to mention it helps during those boss fights where you're trying to listen to the boss instead of fight him.

I'm spending some more time poking around the sidequests, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time. I'm also still very confused at the

Here's a recommended list.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

Akuun

There's three spots they can randomly spawn at, and I don't know if zoning/transporting/save+loading changes their current location. Just make sure you're checking the right locations.
Top of the Engels, top of the building where you first landed in the city, and behind/under the broken bridge leading to the factory.
Ah, thanks. I did see
three highlighted areas on the map, but didn't check all three in one go
. Maybe that's where I missed them.

Thanks. I'm on Route B now (at least I assume that's what it is because I'm playing as 9S), so does that mean I've missed those Route A quests if they don't appear in Route B?

Top Bottom