• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

LotusHD

Banned
Route C question:

Is there a suggested way of playing through 9S and A2? I went 9S, A2, 9S so far. I feel like playing through them alternatively will be better than finishing one at a time since the "timeline" will theoretically make more sense by the end, seen as how they were (seemingly) both awakened simultaneously

I've always suggested playing as A2 until they force you to play as 9S.
You'll see why assuming your curiosity gets the best of you, as I believe it has the highest chance of making sure you see this thing I'd like you to see.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got ending B and started Route C. What the fuck @ the revelations. And at least now I understand what this OT thread title references.

Glad to hear that Route C gets better. I'm enjoying the game so far, but the story pacing of A and B are definitely very slow unless you ignore the sidequests. Slow to the point where I can see people dropping the game long before they finish ending B.

Speaking of which, almost all of these sidequests are depressing as fuck.

ChrisD

So I'm sure I played it wrong, but I ignored nearly all of the sidequests. I would accept them, but if it was anything other than item fetch quests (that I'd then proceed to ignore until the game told me "you have all the stuff now!") I wouldn't do them. Lost a lot of extra story, lore, and world-building. But I really wanted to see the game through to the end, and I - sadly - do not possess the patience for sidequests. Even in my favorite titles, I'm... Pretty much a main-quest only type of guy. (Which is why it greatly shocked me that I did all sidequests in Gravity Rush 2, lol.)

But I played all day today (a totally free Saturday~) and played through C, D, and E.

And uh. Wow. The game isn't my GotY. It is still Top Three this year even with my, admittedly, rushing through things. But Route E is quite possibly the greatest thing I've played in a game that simply can't be replicated in other mediums. I was smiling, then I had goosebumps, and at the end - THAT PART - I had some serious feelings.
The revelation that the message "X's data has been lost" was literal, as well as the fact that, you know, someone actually deleted their data for someone and it happened to be me. I messaged my "rescuer" a simple thank-you message, along with said message translated through Google Translate into Korean, their stated language on their PSN profile. I hope it translates well enough for them to understand it. Probably not thanks to Google, but all I can do is hope haha.

I deleted my data. They did it for me, I will do it for someone else.

Automata is certainly a game worth playing through to Ending E. Without any doubts. Even if it's not your GotY, you'll finish feeling something. Trust me. I could write a lot more, but I tend to just ramble so I'll just leave it at that short and sweet statement. :p

LotusHD

Banned
Glad you ended up liking it in the end. And you could always one day do what I did and replay it, sidequests and all. Was very much worth it considering the revelations.

ChrisD

Glad you ended up liking it in the end. And you could always one day do what I did and replay it, sidequests and all. Was very much worth it considering the revelations.

Yeah, I'm not totally against replaying, but it will certainly be after some time has passed. The game I played was actually relatively "short" at 22(ish) hours. So a replay in a year or so, even if it takes me... I don't know, 45 hours, will still be less between a first playthrough and a 100% run than I've spent on some other titles for the first alone.

In the meantime, I've had some long YouTube videos on NieR, Automata, and Drakengard that I've been keeping in my Watch Later for the day that I finish the game and can't get anything big spoiled. Will watch one or two tonight.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I'm not totally against replaying, but it will certainly be after some time has passed. The game I played was actually relatively "short" at 22(ish) hours. So a replay in a year or so, even if it takes me... I don't know, 45 hours, will still be less between a first playthrough and a 100% run than I've spent on some other titles for the first alone.

In the meantime, I've had some long YouTube videos on NieR, Automata, and Drakengard that I've been keeping in my Watch Later for the day that I finish the game and can't get anything big spoiled. Will watch one or two tonight.

True.

Oh, may as well post show you these:

https://tanoshimi.xyz/2017/03/21/violet-evergarden-spoilers/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore

One's a cool article, while the other is a compilation of supplementary material regarding the game.

JonnyKong

and they are all fucking amazing. my second platinum ever after Watch Dogs 2.

Hmm out of the ones I've done so far I wouldn't go out of my way to say they're fucking amazing, especially that one where I had to take three items to that guy and then go back to all three people with his response *sigh*

N° 2048

Hmm out of the ones I've done so far I wouldn't go out of my way to say they're fucking amazing, especially that one where I had to take three items to that guy and then go back to all three people with his response *sigh*

The way the side quests tie into the story is what amazes me. The small drips of lore via side quests.

goldenpp72

I figured this might be a good place to ask. I am finally trying to get into this game not knowing a lot about it, I was going in assuming it would be something like Bayonetta with more RPG aspects, and what i'm greeted with instead is a game constantly snapping from 2d to overhead to 3d, only to drop me in an overworld with little guidance and not much to do. I guess i'm wondering, about how long before the 'gameplay loop' is more or less established? I want to really enjoy this one but I am struggling just figuring out where to go, and for some reason the hud marker is really hard to see on my map/tv.

I figured this might be a good place to ask. I am finally trying to get into this game not knowing a lot about it, I was going in assuming it would be something like Bayonetta with more RPG aspects, and what i'm greeted with instead is a game constantly snapping from 2d to overhead to 3d, only to drop me in an overworld with little guidance and not much to do. I guess i'm wondering, about how long before the 'gameplay loop' is more or less established? I want to really enjoy this one but I am struggling just figuring out where to go, and for some reason the hud marker is really hard to see on my map/tv.

Pretty soon. There's a couple shooting sections in the game and they are a bit lengthy (10-20 minutes?) but the majority is the overworld action stuff. Once you find the resistance camp the objectives start coming in and things get more clear-cut.

JonnyKong

So the whole game is the overworld?

It seems that way to me. Once you've gone past the crazy opening mission, you'll find yourself in a big open world and you'll get quests and missions to go off in different directions within that world.

At first it will seem like a slog cos you have to run everywhere, but you will eventually unlock fast travel so just push on through!

JonnyKong

Everytime I see you guys talking about different routes I have no idea what you're going on about 🤣 I don't even know if I'm currently on a route??

I'm assuming it will become clear.

Been thinking about picking this up on Steam, but I see there are a lot of negative reviews about the PC port not being very good. I could get this on my PS4, but I'd prefer to buy it for PC.

What do you guys think? Is the PC version fine, or is the PS4 version actually superior?

Been thinking about picking this up on Steam, but I see there are a lot of negative reviews about the PC port not being very good. I could get this on my PS4, but I'd prefer to buy it for PC.

What do you guys think? Is the PC version fine, or is the PS4 version actually superior?
I played it recently with the FAR mod and I didn't have any issues. In over 60 hours I got a couple of "freezes", where the picture would stop (but the game would still run). If you just save often you'll likely have no issue at all.

Everytime I see you guys talking about different routes I have no idea what you're going on about 🤣 I don't even know if I'm currently on a route??

I'm assuming it will become clear.

Yeah, don't worry, that's on me. Best way I can put it is make it to the credits and find out from there. Route B is basically the second playthrough.

I played it recently with the FAR mod and I didn't have any issues. In over 60 hours I got a couple of "freezes", where the picture would stop (but the game would still run). If you just save often you'll likely have no issue at all.

Yeah I might just have to look into that, doesn't look like there will be a patch for the PC version anytime soon.

LotusHD

Banned
Route C is really interesting so far.

I'm also incredibly confused and I think I've
seen the title screen go by at least three times

I like how
A2 keeps voicing my reactions to the pod's recommendations

Those are presumably joke endings.

Automata is certainly a game worth playing through to Ending E. Without any doubts. Even if it's not your GotY, you'll finish feeling something. Trust me. I could write a lot more, but I tend to just ramble so I'll just leave it at that short and sweet statement. :p

Eh, it didn't do much for me. I thought it was kinda neat, but not much more than that. I think I was just kind of done with the game combat wise early on in Route B and grinded through the rest of the game not having a great time with the combat (unlike most P* games I play), so I think that soured my overall experience quite a bit.

Just started this on PS4, was hoping there'd be more depth to the combat (might be early to tell) but it seems like all your attacks mount to:

Light + Light + Light
Light + Light + Light (hold)

Light + Light + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy (hold)

Does it go anymore in-depth than that? I'm only 4 hrs in or so. Definitely a step up from the first Nier so far. And man, that Bunker song is soooo good, I could sit there and listen to it all day.

It can get deeper than that, but I don't think the game ever really forces/encourages you to make it any deeper. In my opinion, the combat is balanced pretty poorly.

Just started this on PS4, was hoping there'd be more depth to the combat (might be early to tell) but it seems like all your attacks mount to:

Light + Light + Light

Light + Light + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy (hold)

Does it go anymore in-depth than that? I'm only 4 hrs in or so. Definitely a step up from the first Nier so far. And man, that Bunker song is soooo good, I could sit there and listen to it all day.

Soar

There's this move I can spam the whole day.

sHairVo.gif

You can use it to knock down enemies:

TM7l4WE.gif

d00d3n

Some questions:

What kind of items do I lose when I die? Do I keep my chips and my gold, but lose consumables and crafting material?

Do I get everything back if I get back to my corpse? I just got back to the intro corpse, and I got a lot of small healing items that I remember having back then. Any penalties and/or possibilities to lose my stuff permanently that I should be aware of?

emag

Some questions:

What kind of items do I lose when I die? Do I keep my chips and my gold, but lose consumables and crafting material?

Do I get everything back if I get back to my corpse? I just got back to the intro corpse, and I got a lot of small healing items that I remember having back then. Any penalties and/or possibilities to lose my stuff permanently that I should be aware of?

You lose your chips.

You get them all back (and automatically re-equipped if you like) by touching your corpse.

Die without reaching your corpse and you lose the chips permanently (though you can load your last save to avoid this penalty).

TheCed

Just Finished
Route B
Not a fan of
9S'
playstyle and while seing new things was nice... too much was just the same as
Route A

Still loves the game. I know that
Route C
is supposed to be Great.

d00d3n

You lose your chips.

You get them all back (and automatically re-equipped if you like) by touching your corpse.

Die without reaching your corpse and you lose the chips permanently (though you can load your last save to avoid this penalty).

Thanks!

Akuun

You lose your chips.

I almost got screwed by this last night. My corpse had clipped through the ground somehow, so I couldn't see it at all. Had to run around the area looking for the B prompt instead.

Just Finished
Route B
Not a fan of
9S'
playstyle and while seing new things was nice... too much was just the same as
Route A

Still loves the game. I know that
Route C
is supposed to be Great.
I'm just starting Route C too, and it's... very different so far. I agree that Routes A and B are a little too samey, and I'm starting to see why people say that C is where things get interesting.

what the fuck is going on

TheCed

I'm just starting Route C too, and it's... very different so far. I agree that Routes A and B are a little too samey, and I'm starting to see why people say that C is where things get interesting.

what the fuck is going on

Had to leave for work... It'll be a looooong day.

Can't wait to get back into it.

JonnyKong

Oh wow that boss fight in the abondoned factory was great,
with the giant circular ball-spider thing, when it all goes dark and it's all lit up.

Milijango

I tried to go for Ending Y a little while ago. Changed my mind when I did literally 0 damage to the first boss. The levelling system works fine for the story, but it just kills sidequests like that.

It's a tough situation, really. Some of the sidequests go a long way to enhancing the story, but just as many of them are such a slog to get through. I don't even feel comfortable telling people which ones to do, since they lose their impact when you know they're going to become a plot point.

Oh wow that boss fight in the abondoned factory was great,
with the giant circular ball-spider thing, when it all goes dark and it's all lit up.

Yup. Don't see too much talk about that moment because there isn't really a whole lot of story to it unlike nearly every other boss, but it's a great "teamwork!" moment for 2B and 9S.

Kazuhira

Light + Light + Light

Light + Light + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy
Heavy + Heavy (hold)

Unless you consider spoilers to see a few weapons, this video is safe for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTeXs0IcK4

Granted,enemies in the main game aren't that tough to pull this off,but the combat mechanics are definitely not that simple.
And i was one of those who kept saying that this was Platinum's weakest work in terms of combat.

Unless you consider spoilers to see a few weapons, this video is safe for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTeXs0IcK4

Granted,enemies in the main game aren't that tough to pull this off,but the combat mechanics are definitely not that simple.
And i was one of those who kept saying that this was Platinum's weakest work in terms of combat.

Hmmm OK, definitely looks better, I'm still only 4-5 hrs in so I wasn't reserving judgement just some quick thoughts so far.

Also, when you pray for someone's corpse and take their items, how come I don't see them in my list or do they get returned to the actual player? All it does is heal me and give me money?

emag

Hmmm OK, definitely looks better, I'm still only 4-5 hrs in so I wasn't reserving judgement just some quick thoughts so far.

Also, when you pray for someone's corpse and take their items, how come I don't see them in my list or do they get returned to the actual player? All it does is heal me and give me money?

You just get temporary (30s) buffs, not actual items.

Akuun

I've been mashing my way through the combat with very little nuance.

Enemy's open? Mash a mix of light and strong attacks.
About to get hit? Mash dodge.
Successful dodge? Mash attack buttons again.

Golnei

I've been mashing my way through the combat with very little nuance.

Enemy's open? Mash a mix of light and strong attacks.
About to get hit? Mash dodge.
Successful dodge? Mash attack buttons again.

You don't really need to do more than that at any point - more than in an actual action game, any sort of 'depth' is something you have to go out of your way to create; often requiring the use of the debug mode.

the combat is definitely easy enough that you can blow through the game, however when it comes to pure combat versatility this is the most freeform system platinum has ever built. Its not Devil May Cry 3/4 level, but there is a shitload of things you can do. The best is coming up with unique ways to handle swarms of enemies versus small enemy counts. There are so many tools at your disposal that you can handle every fight differently.

The biggest knock there is that the game never forces you to on the count of it being pretty easy.

JonnyKong

I was actually going to mention that after completing it last night for the first time, that I found the overall game quite easy, so it's not just me then? I was playing it on normal, but I don't recall feeling once challenged. I also never died once, and I certainly wouldn't call myself a skilled gamer.

Having around 80 medipacks at all times certainly helped.

Is Route B harder? Probably going to start that this week.

Top Bottom