• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata passes 2 million shipments + downloads

spelen

Square Enix noted it was already notably above expectations when it hit 1 million copies.

Obviously it's kind of a different product category from something like Final Fantasy XV though, which has shipped 6.5 million copies so far.

Based on zero evidence Imma wager that this game has proven far more profitable tho

very nice to see. i guess we now really do live in a time when unique games can do quite well and not everything has to be "AAA" and focus tested to hell and back, with gigantic marketing budgets.

it's taken a while for me for that to sink in.

Yeshua

I've heard some less than favourable things about the pc port, but exactly what is wrong with it? Thinking about picking it up just to throw some additional support their way even if I've played and completed the PS4 version. Just love it to death.

-Bad optimization
-Resolution option doesn't work in fullscreen mode
-Prone to crash for some people
-No support from Square Enix

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I had never heard of the series before and wasn't interested in it at first because it just looked like yet another JRPG. I do like the genre but not a huge fan of it. I really enjoyed my time with it...well for the most part. The second playthrough I felt was not needed but the other playthroughs were enjoyable. Usually the thought of having to do multiple playthroughs to experience the full game would have put me off but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'd have prefered to buy it on PC but ended up getting it for PS4 because of how shite the PC version is.

Glad it's been very successful. It's well deserved.

Wonder if we can expect Platinum to be working on another in the series.

I hope so. It was a match made in heaven. Best storyteller with the best third person action game developer for a third person action game series. I'd love to see Platinum's take on Drakengard (using Scalebound assets)

I'm obviously very happy for their success.

At the same time I hope this doesn't mean we'll see Yoko Taro's style disappear in favor of NieR: Automata sequels.

I don't even see how they can realise a Nier Automata sequel.

It's got to be about humans or another life-form. In terms of timeline I can only imagine a prequel.

MadMod

Congrats Plat, good game, have it myself. Have yet to complete it but having fun. Well done, happy that quality is backed by sales from time to time in gaming. 2 mill is incredible.

Setsuna

I'm obviously very happy for their success.

At the same time I hope this doesn't mean we'll see Yoko Taro's style disappear in favor of NieR: Automata sequels.

Well, considering Drakengard 1, 2, 3 and Nier, Nier Automata are all effectively sequels. I would say its too late

Golnei

I don't even see how they can realise a Nier Automata sequel.

It's got to be about humans or another life-form. In terms of timeline I can only imagine a prequel.

Ending D already had a fairly obvious hook for a sequel -
another world's lifeforms reacting to the inciting incident of the ark of consciousness + 9S colliding with their planet hundreds or thousands of years earlier.

But the years between Ending E of Drakengard and the main action of Nier 1 are the most obvious places to fit in new games that could explore different facets of the universe - a horror-themed game focusing on the initial WCS outbreak or something surrounding the demise of Red Eye in Jerusalem, for example.

But generally, the upshot of the way the series handles its timeline and universe(s) is that pretty much any kind of story can fit in somewhere. I hope that the next game will just be whatever high-concept idea Yoko Taro feels like exploring, rather than a focus-tested iteration on Automata.

Kyonashi

As someone new to the franchise who delved deep into wikis after completing Automata, I'd love to see a ground-up NieR remake and remasters of Drakengard 1 + 3.

Koopatrol

Why's that?

Mainly because I lost progress at two different parts of the game. Once the game crashed after I was doing a sidequest at the beginning of the 2nd route, lost about 20 minutes of progress. The other time was at the beginning of the 3rd route when I lost about an hour of progress (this was mostly cause I was being an idiot though). Overall it didn't really detract from the experience, I just remember I got pissed off cause I was procrastinating doing some projects and that time went down the drain :p

DonF

Awesome, I loved the game. It's quirky, refreshing, well made and all around a unique experience. Good for SE, P* and Yoko Taro.

CHC

Not enough profit to pay a few hundred dollars for the hours of work it would take to patch the PC version though.

Yep, really pathetic. And I'm a guy who considers myself pretty easy on developers - making games is complicated, things happen, c'est la vie. Any kind of good faith effort is usually enough to satisfy me, I don't need everything to be a tech showcase.

It also doesn't help that I also hated the game itself, as well. Just a huge disappointment from all angles for me.

t1gerjaw

I double dipped because the PC version ran like crap on my setup.

The game itself is amazing, one of the highlights of the year for me, easily.

FelipeMGM

I can't believe it either, it's about time you do

There was an issue with the physical copies here in Brazil and they had to make a recall of all the first shipment, so I waited but that took awhile and 2017 kept happening and it became hard to find time

But I will play it this year no doubt!!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Which is the bigger seller for Platinum, Nier Automata or Metal Gear Rising? I think MGR is over 2 million as well though its been out much longer.

Draft

i keep wanting to play this but then i see PC port issues

shame, it looks interesting
The issues are negligible at best. I have a couple dozen hours in the PC version and it runs fine. 1440p/60hz on a 1070. No crashes, no lost saves. I don't know what people got so upset about. I also have zero tolerance for shitty ports or games that don't run well. Nier: Automota is a certified Fine Port.

Hektor

Pretty bad, FH3 did that one console plus more.

bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

Fantastic! Continued congrats to Yoko Taro, the Square Enix Staff and the Platinum Staff. Never would I think I would see the day a Yoko Taro game would be this successful.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The issues are negligible at best. I have a couple dozen hours in the PC version and it runs fine. 1440p/60hz on a 1070. No crashes, no lost saves. I don't know what people got so upset about. I also have zero tolerance for shitty ports or games that don't run well. Nier: Automota is a certified Fine Port.

how is the frame rate?

it has some AAA tier waifu design and plat action which really makes me want to give it a shot

not a fan of replaying games but it looks meaty to play once

Top Bottom