• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata passes 2 million shipments + downloads

emiliano

No platinum game other than [k]maybe[/k] metal gear rising has sold this many copies.
I bought it only because Platinum were the devs, and accurately avoided reading anything about the game until I bought it (except the obvious pandering of 2B everywhere, of course). I was expecting a good action game, nothing more.
It was shocking discovering what the game really was.

I hope this will give us new works by the same people soon. (Everything will do, Mr. Yoko)

Yopis

Game is so awesome. Took few months to get backlog down. After playing this it should have been first on list.

Makes me miss Chaika.

This is the sequel to a tiny, niche game that reviewed poorly and sold terribly. The fact that it even exists is a miracle. NieR: Automata crossing the 2 million mark is a tremendous accomplishment for them. Yoko Taro, Platinum, and Square Enix must be overjoyed.

^

Ferr986

To be fair, Drakengard got 2 sequels and that shit was even worse received IIRC (and didn't had the same cult status as Nier).

BiggNife

Is 2m good or low?

I strongly doubt SE expected this game to do more than 500k. It's a huge success considering its budget and intentionally non-mainstream nature,

Super glad this game did well. I have some issues with it, but Yoko Taro deserves a mainstream success and I am so, so glad this game saved Platinum from the brink of death after Scalebound fell through.

Pretty bad, FH3 did that one console plus more.

FH3 probably had 5 times the budget Nier did. That's like comparing something like Get Out to a Fast and Furious film.

Beat it in under 8 hours, watched all the "alternative" endings on YouTube. Not as memorable as the first game, but damn that gameplay is top notch.

Hektor

Beat it in under 8 hours, watched all the "alternative" endings on YouTube. Not as memorable as the first game, but damn that gameplay is top notch.

actual spoiler
I hope you at least watched the entire Route B and C on youtube and not just the ending ending.

Ascheroth

Don't know why you would watch 20 hours of youtube videos instead of just continuing to play the game.
Unless you only watched the joke endings, in which case... uh, congratulations for skipping 60% of the game and you should probably play the rest, I guess? Maybe the story will become memorable as well if you don't skip 2/3 of it :p

stryke

Still need to getting around to resuming this game. I got bored with the open world aspect and distracted by other games.

Koozek

Wait.

What ending did you have and what endings did you watch?

Don't tell me you only beat Route A and then watched just the joke endings 😂😂😂 If you stop after Route A you didn't even start the real story.

Ferr986

I read that the first one actually sold somewhat decently?

Did it? Maybe I was wrong then, I thought it did bad. I still feel surprising that we have 3 Drakengards though.

Wait.

What ending did you have and what endings did you watch?

Don't tell me you only beat Route A and then watched just the joke endings ������ If you stop after Route A you didn't even start the real story.

I wonder if he even did the same with Nier 1 now lol There's no reason to think you're done with Automata after Route A otherwise.

Elandyll

Banned
Loved the game, even if I had a rough patch going through B route.

HZD is still my Goty so far, but Nier will probably be a close second.
Pretty incredible considering I had never played or knew anything about Taro before, and my only Platinum game so far had been Transformers Devastation.

I also saw, while in C route, why people were saying Taro might be crazy (in a good way) ;)

Instro

Lack of fixes for the PC version has lowered it's priority for me, but I'll be picking it up at some point soon. It's weird they haven't bothered, the PC port has enough of a bad reputation that I'm sure it is keeping quite a few away for now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Lack of fixes for the PC version has lowered it's priority for me, but I'll be picking it up at some point soon. It's weird they haven't bothered, the PC port has enough of a bad reputation that I'm sure it is keeping quite a few away for now.

You would think, but as noted, whenever it goes on sale it ends up near top of the list. Last sale had it just under pubg in the global top sellers.

Nyoro SF

The fact that it has done so well and yet the PC version has not been fixed cements Square Enix as one of the biggest scumbags in the industry.

Koozek

Did it? Maybe I was wrong then, I thought it did bad. I still feel surprising that we have 3 Drakengards though.

I wonder if he even did the same with Nier 1 now lol There's no reason to think you're done with Automata after Route A otherwise.
Route A felt so obviously "off" to me, lol. Like a
fake happy ending.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Then you should get it and you won't have issues.

Don't use the ingame MSAA the AO has post processing AA.

This fixes all the other issues https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/

If you install FAR that shouldn't be an issue at all.

Edit: as per above.

With your computer it will be locked at 60 and never dip.

alright i'm in!

60. You'll be fine with your system.

You don't really replay the game.

i thought this game is all about multiple endings or something

i hated that in 999 and similar

Wagram

Automata definitely deserves it. I don't like it as much as Nier or Drakengard 3, but it certainly brought in a whole new audience and if that means more Drakenier i'm excited.

Arkeband

Banned
alright i'm in!

i thought this game is all about multiple endings or something

i hated that in 999 and similar

It has multiple endings in the sense that the game keeps going after the credits multiple times. There are also 'joke endings' that can trigger if you do certain things.

Anyone who stops playing at the first credits has realistically played only about 1/3rd of the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, something is definitely happening with the series moving forwards, according to this article.

The comments from Yoko and Saito are predictably hilarious and self-effacing.

Mariip

B E C O M E A S G O D S
This game deserves it, really. It takes some risks i don't see many games taking
like being a freaking fucked up love story all along xD
, and it does an excellent job with the budget they got. It was the only game i ever wanted story DLC for(and it doesn't need it at all)

I hope i can grab myself a copy of Nier when I travel abroad...i gave up on finding a copy in english already .-.

Neptonic

The PC version is fine with that mod. Haven't had any problems with it reallly on my 960 (other than a late game set piece fucking killing the frame rate to like 16 fps lol)

Koozek

It has multiple endings in the sense that the game keeps going after the credits multiple times. There are also 'joke endings' that can trigger if you do certain things.

Anyone who stops playing at the first credits has realistically played only about 1/3rd of the game.
Really unfortunate that they're marketed as "endings". These aren't endings, they're more like chapters with credits inbetween them. I mean, even someone like me who is generally informed almost wouldn't have continued after Route A had I not read in a review or GAF how essential they are in this game and how it's structured. I normally hate when games have multiple endings, but here it really is not just different endings. Only Route A to E is the full story.

Fortunately though, the trophy stats show that at least the usual average number of players who finish games at all (~30%) has played until Route E too, but I still think it hindered others from experiencing the whole thing because they didn't realize it's not the usual kind of multiple endings and New Game+.
Nier Automata -
The Minds That Emerged
(View the final credits) = 27.4%

Top Bottom