• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata passes 2 million shipments + downloads

cordy

Banned
Makes me wonder if Yoko Taro will start new for the sequel (like he does all the time) or if SE will be like "ok, do a sequel with this cast and we'll give you all the money and resources we can, this is a goldmine." Who knows.

Ferr986

Makes me wonder if Yoko Taro will start new for the sequel (like he does all the time) or if SE will be like "ok, do a sequel with this cast and we'll give you all the money and resources we can, this is a goldmine." Who knows.

I hope Taro refuses in that case. I doubt SE would want a Nier without Taro.

Instro

You would think, but as noted, whenever it goes on sale it ends up near top of the list. Last sale had it just under pubg in the global top sellers.

Oh of course, and it makes sense because you probably have a fair amount of fence sitters that finally break down and buy at a lower price . In the end, most who are actually interested will buy it regardless, as will I.

I'm still struggling to decide if I like this more or less then the original, it really is tied making the nier series my favorite game of all time. Happy for them!

Buckle

I might be minority here but I loved Route B. I truly belive Route C wouldn't be as good as it was if wasn't for route B and also some of the best quests was in route B.
You're not alone.

Thought the gameplay shifts and some of the changes and reveals were great.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It has multiple endings in the sense that the game keeps going after the credits multiple times. There are also 'joke endings' that can trigger if you do certain things.

Anyone who stops playing at the first credits has realistically played only about 1/3rd of the game.

how long is the "full game"?

what do i need to know before i start? watch a yt vid of one of his other game endings?

Hektor

what do i need to know before i start? watch a yt vid of one of his other game endings?

The full game is around 25-40 hours depending on sidequest completion.

You don't need to know anything before going in, watching a video about the first Nier might help you relate to some stuff better, but it isn't really required to do so.

night814

Just bought it when it was on sale a few weeks ago so I helped with this. Gotta play through the first game before I touch it though.

Buckle

You can play Automata without any previous knowledge of Nier and Drakengard at all. No homework or research required to jump into the story which is pretty much telling its own thing seperate from the first.

There are things long time fans will notice but its pretty much almost a completely new world and setting compared to the first game and would be all but unrecognizable at first if it didn't have Nier in the title.

Ferr986

I'll advise against watching any Nier 1 endings. Automata is basically it's own thing, so you don't need to know Nier 1 at all to get the story, and in the unlikely scenario that they port Nier 1 you'll be able to play it without having a lot of things spoiled.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The full game is around 25-40 hours depending on sidequest completion.

You don't need to know anything before going in, watching a video about the first Nier might help you relate to some stuff better, but it isn't really required to do so.

thanks

i usually hate side quests and get bored of games after 25-30 hours... are there any specific stand out side quests i need to play or can i just go whole hog on the main story?

This is awesome. Awesome because I loved the game and am glad it's done well, but also awesome because it serves as a clear signal to SE that fun games w/ thoughtful design can sell, even if not polished to the very latest AAA sheen. Would love to see more Platinum/SE team ups, and also more stuff from Taro with a reasonable budget.

zMiiChy-

Banned
They don't deserve to gloat about the game's sales with the PC version being in it's current state.
It's insulting and disgusting.

So it's safe to assume that this is a better experience in a PS4 Pro than PC? You all really trashing the port are making me reconsider for one of the few times to go console over PC...

BlastCore

Banned
If you'd had told me a Nier sequel would sell 1 million, let alone 2 million, I'd say you were insane. Congrats to platinum and especially to Yoko Taro

AND REVEALED AT E3 OF ALL PLACES!
If there is one thing completely shocking in the Nier Automata development, its that despite placing modest expectations on sales, SE still put faith in the game. It was marketed and developed with the possibility of being a success.

So it's safe to assume that this is a better experience in a PS4 Pro than PC? You all really trashing the port are making me reconsider for one of the few times to go console over PC...
depends on your PC. If it wasnt for forums I wouldnt even know the game had issues. Other than fullscreen rendering resolution being an issue (solved by running the borderless gaming I already had on my PC for other uses), the game ran like a dream for 55 hours of playtime. However I have a GTX 1080 which had no worries about performance, and none of the other issues such as those seen by kepler and AMD users.

Shifty1897

Square Enix noted it was already notably above expectations when it hit 1 million copies.

Obviously it's kind of a different product category from something like Final Fantasy XV though, which has shipped 6.5 million copies so far.

I'm sure once you compare the costs of production Nier is 5 or 6 times more profitable than FFXV. Square's managerial accountant knows what's up.

Ascheroth

If there is one thing completely shocking in the Nier Automata development, its that despite placing modest expectations on sales, SE still put faith in the game. It was marketed and developed with the possibility of being a success.
Except on PC :p

No.

Rosstimus

Banned
Really impressive given the scope of the game. I'm happy to see my personal GOTY so far doing well. Hopefully this will help spur more Platinum/Taro collaborations in the future.

It doesn't even have to be a Pro. I've never said this about a game available on PC: Get it on console instead. It's the worst port I've played in the past decade, personally. My game crashed several times during one of the last boss (mini-boss, maybe?) fight of Route A, and given
that boss reappears moments later anyway
, I just felt like I was bashing my head into a wall. Could not be more against playing this game on PC, and in fact, plan on finishing routes B-E on a PS4 someday.

Asiratlan

Really happy that my favourite game of the year so far got such success. About the PC version, just think about KH2.5 bugs and how long it took Square to patch it. It will come one day have hope guys. You won't regret it once you will be able to play smoothly.

It doesn't even have to be a Pro. I've never said this about a game available on PC: Get it on console instead. It's the worst port I've played in the past decade, personally. My game crashed several times during one of the last boss (mini-boss, maybe?) fight of Route A, and given
that boss reappears moments later anyway
, I just felt like I was bashing my head into a wall. Could not be more against playing this game on PC, and in fact, plan on finishing routes B-E on a PS4 someday.

Do people really expect PC games to just magically never crash or have technical problems? I can't remember any point in history where things have worked like that.

Akainu

I might be minority here but I loved Route B. I truly belive Route C wouldn't be as good as it was if wasn't for route B and also some of the best quests was in route B.
Honestly I found the combat just serviceable. So hacking everything certainly broke up the monotony for me.

Take note devs you have been focusing on the wrong part of human anatomy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Beat it in under 8 hours, watched all the "alternative" endings on YouTube. Not as memorable as the first game, but damn that gameplay is top notch.
I'm sorry but that's such terrible way to experience the game. Drakengard/NieR are type games that needs to played not watched. You can't get the full impact if you just watch it from YouTube.

Moaradin

I played the PC version before the FAR mod was even a thing and I had almost no problems. The only thing I had to do was use Borderless Fullscreen. In terms of performance, it already ran better than the PS4 version. I played through the game on PS4 a few weeks prior, and the PC version ran better in every way. PS4 version has hitching and somewhat frequent frame drops. My game also glitched out and had a hard crash to the dashboard once. I had none of those issues when I played on PC for 80 hours. Didn't even crash.

Do people really expect PC games to just magically never crash or have technical problems? I can't remember any point in history where things have worked like that.

? These are issues specifically related to NieR and the port quality of Automata. And no, I rarely have issues with any games. In 160 hours of PUBG, an early access game, I've had one crash. In 12 hours of NieR, the number of crashes (white screen and other hard crashes) was in the double digits, three or four times during the ending moments of Route A. Without even diving into the resolution issues the game has, it's an undercooked port. Where did I ever insinuate that a game having technical issues is unprecedented? It's not, but the experience I had with Automata on PC was unsatisfactory, to say the least.

Buckle

We don't havy any numbers.

However, the game had a metacritic in the 60's, no marketing, the budget of an egg and a banana and no retail release in europe.
That and its probably the weirdest of Yoko Taro's games to get into.

Drakengard 1 fucking goes some crazy places but most of it is near the end of the game.

Top Bottom