• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

PixelatedBookake

Anyone else get strong Evangelion vibes from this game? Feels like it was an influence. Especially ending A where 2B is choking 9S. The game made me want to rewatch Eva and researching Eva is making me want to replay the game.

Yeah I got them too. The YoRH@ units going berserk and the bunker getting destroyed was reminiscent of End of Eva to me. Also the overall tone in Route C had an Eva feel. It was a feeling of hopelessness while 9S and A2 have elements of Shinji and Asuka in their personalities.

Hektor

Should have gotten everyone to congratulate you at the end.

Should've been shown after deleting your save

giphy.gif

Gbraga

Mmm, I could actually do without the thank you at the end honestly. :p

I wouldn't say that it needed to be there, but I really appreciate it. You've just been asked if you think that games are just silly little things, and answered no, you just went through an amazing section giving meaning to a meaningless act like playing videogames, or losing save data for a videogame. I think it bringing back that classic videogame ending before it was all about narratives with a simple "thank you for playing" was incredibly fitting.

It's not ashamed of being a game, it's not trying to be more, like the cringeworthy praise I read for a lot of games in the vein of "it's much more than a game, it's an experience". Anything is an experience, eating shit is a unique experience you'll never forget, it's so shallow while trying to make it sound deeper. Automata uses the medium in a unique way in order to convey its themes and tell its stories, I have a lot of respect for them ending on a note that is taking pride in being a videogame.

Or at least that was the impression I got from it, others will obviously see it differently.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Great video actually. Gave me a lot of new insights that I've never really considered. Especially some of the relations he made to the work culture of japan.

I love the melodramatic mess though, personally. :p

LordofPwn

Yoko Taro is a huuuuuge fan of Evangelion and Berserk, so that's also where a lot of influences come from
Might have to finally try out Berserk
Yeah I got them too. The YoRH@ units going berserk and the bunker getting destroyed was reminiscent of End of Eva to me. Also the overall tone in Route C had an Eva feel. It was a feeling of hopelessness while 9S and A2 have elements of Shinji and Asuka in their personalities.
Rei reminds me of 2B, and YoRHa is basically NERV..

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this though.

Don't forget the blatant QuantumRei:GhostTwins parallel.
9S stabbing 2B is basically the strangling scene from Instrumentality.

Taro went super hard on the Eva references.

webrunner

I have a theory I'd like to get people's opinions on:

Most combat/scanner units can see the enemy machine names. 2B being the outlier here is because she's actually 2E.

The reasoning I have for this is that A2 and 9S can both read the machine names. Originally I thought this was because 9S could read Angelic, but he can't - he doesn't even recognize it when it sees it for real in route C and needs his Pod to translate.

So I thought, maybe Scanners can pick that up as part of some advanced friend or foe system, but A2 can see the names too.

That got me thinking: 9S and A2 were both designed to fight machines. But 2E was designed to fight YoRHa units, that's why she's the only playable character who doesn't get that information.

Most combat/scanner units can see the enemy machine names. 2B being the outlier here is because she's actually 2E.

The reasoning I have for this is that A2 and 9S can both read the machine names. Originally I thought this was because 9S could read Angelic, but he can't - he doesn't even recognize it when it sees it for real in route C and needs his Pod to translate.

So I thought, maybe Scanners can pick that up as part of some advanced friend or foe system, but A2 can see the names too.

That got me thinking: 9S and A2 were both designed to fight machines. But 2E was designed to fight YoRHa units, that's why she's the only playable character who doesn't get that information.

Sounds legit; thanks for pointing it out. The attention to detail in this game is really something.

Wait... shades show up in colosseum?

or that a skin item

Well, Jackass's report details that a big turning point for the Machine Network was coming across the Shadowlord's data.

Meanwhile, the deficient network began repeating a process of self-repair while incorporating surrounding information, until it finally reached a fixed state as a new form of network. Traces of information regarding human memories from the quantum server of the old model were discovered, indicating that it had integrated them during the final stages of its growth process. Said server contained a record of the discarded "Project Gestalt," as well as information on the human who was the first successful example of the Gestalt process.

Having acquired information regarding humanity, the network's structure changed once more, becoming what might better be called a meta network (or a "concept", to borrow the words of the machines). This led directly to the formation of the ego we identify as N2.

It almost sounds like, upon learning about Nier, N2 and the Machine Lifeforms become humanity's heirs. They seemed to have looked to Project Gestalt to form a basis for a new way of being. Also, robots gaining souls and whatnot are a pretty common sci-fi trope. So I wouldn't be surprised if things were set up so Machines have bodies that can be rebuilt as long as the machine core is intact (Replicants), but also have souls.(Gestalts)

https://youtu.be/c43P_5iSczY?t=187

The final shade, the final human, fuck man

Therefore, I believe these two are Adam and Eve's Gestalts. (Sorry Tekken twins. Again.)

Also, notice that some of those enemies also shoot Emil heads. Since we first meet our Emil by busting up a machine with him still inside, I hypothesize those machines also have Emil heads inside. In their war against Emil, it looks like the aliens captured some of his clones and put them in machine bodies in order to fight him.

That boy (those boys?) just can't catch a break.

LotusHD

Banned
I would also love to see a Jojo "To Be Continued" meme where it plays as 9S falls into the abyss after seeing 2B get killed.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ok - might have been covered but that "the six of us" line in the final dialogue between the pods ...

I've thought about this a fair bit and I'm convinced it's referencing the 2 pods , 3 androids and the player

The final part that convinced me was the 6 birds in the end sequence that split into 5 and 1... 5 are seen with then flying into distance with the two sentient pods (plus assistants but let's ignore) - 2B and 9S... the other "significant other" being the player

And as that happens a bird lands by an isolated A2

Metaphorically - is this a hint that A2 has been left behind and that the story will move with 2B and 9S and this is a goodbye to A2 ?

DCharlie

Given the defection of the A2 prototype I assumed that the 2E unit is a bug fix - as per A2 : YoRHa know the 9S unit is smart enough to figure out the truth so 2E is designed to kill the 9S forcing a restore from a certain back up point keeping them useful but away from the truth.

DCharlie

Eh, i guess if you want to take the concert into account, but i think by the end the story for everyone is done.
We know the parts are there and the backups were taken - so for 2B and 9S they are repairable to some extent. A2 is not on the network and long since abandoned YoRHa so maybe she is done ?

Plus it puts a poignant twist to the C (canon?) ending ... A2 is the hero in the end saving both 2B and 9S who both the player and the pods seem to profess a likening too ... ?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, this is where it gets kinda fuzzy for me. The credits talked about their memories leaking out and then by the end of it the piss day that they got the full memory, but then in the concert apparently not and 9S woke up because lol alien technology?

I'm assuming that she didn't actually disconnect from the network and yorha just stopped trying to track her because she's too good to be captured? The concerts did mention that 2B was tasked with capturing A2 but could never do it.

Ok - might have been covered but that "the six of us" line in the final dialogue between the pods ...

I've thought about this a fair bit and I'm convinced it's referencing the 2 pods , 3 androids and the player

The final part that convinced me was the 6 birds in the end sequence that split into 5 and 1... 5 are seen with then flying into distance with the two sentient pods (plus assistants but let's ignore) - 2B and 9S... the other "significant other" being the player

And as that happens a bird lands by an isolated A2

Metaphorically - is this a hint that A2 has been left behind and that the story will move with 2B and 9S and this is a goodbye to A2 ?

"The six of us" refers to pods 042A, 042B, 042C, 153A, 153B, and 153C. iirc, during the text conversation parts, there's a graphic indicating which pods are conversing, and those six are the ones highlighted.

I believe if you add up the pods that appear in the final cutscene, you will find 3 grey pods (model 042) and 3 black pods (model 153), as well.

Edit: too lazy to get a better screenshot, but here you go:

DCharlie

"The six of us" refers to pods 042A, 042B, 042C, 153A, 153B, and 153C. iirc, during the text conversation parts, there's a graphic indicating which pods are conversing, and those six are the ones highlighted.

I believe if you add up the pods that appear in the final cutscene, you will find 3 grey pods (model 042) and 3 black pods (model 153), as well.

Edit: too lazy to get a better screenshot, but here you go:

Yes - I'm aware of that and the 6 tracers coming from the bunker - and I was happy to accept that except the bird analogy has made me question whether I'm being dicked with or not. None of the other pods have displayed sentience so that might also be a factor ? Just glad that the game still has layers of mystery

Golnei

The original concept designs for Eve went a lot harder on the Shadowlord parallels. Also, they considered an Urien costume.

Also, I kind of think that the alternate palettes and variations being considered for Popola and Devola were superior to their final designs - though the ones with black or two-tone coats were a little too close to the YoRHa uniforms for totally separate factions, the tan variant would have been a nice iteration on the Resistance uniforms.

Roxkis_ii

I just finished ending E and paid it forward.
For some reason, I didn't take the prompts serious when they talked about deleting all your game data to pay it forward.

I really enjoyed this game but it's stuff i wanted to finish before ending my time with this game. I'm really kicking myself for not taking those prompts serious.

I don't know if I can start all they way over from the first play thru. Maybe sometime in the future

What a heavy game Q.Q

Ventara

Alright, so I finished the game last night (Ending E), and I'm still confused about a lot of things. Hoping someone can just lay it all out for me here.

What's the rough timeline of the major events of Nier Gestalt and Nier Automata? The aliens attacked before the events of Nier Gestalt and were already wiped out by their own machines by then? And then after Nier Gestalt, the genomes of the replicants were stored and kept on the moon (I've forgotten a lot of the story of Nier Gestalt, so can't really remember what happened)?

The hologram twins, or the network, were they created after Adam and Eve? Before? Were they a completely separate entity from Adam and Eve? They were the ones who built the giant cannon to shoot the moon, right?

Who created Yorha? I thought it was the human androids, but they left a backdoor for a virus to kill all the androids after a certain point? Why, just to keep the secret that humans are dead a secret? Pretty extreme.

And the ending with the cannon becoming an ark, I don't get it at all.

Hektor

I don't make any claims for accuracy since some things are simply up to interpretation

What's the rough timeline of the major events of Nier Gestalt and Nier Automata? The aliens attacked before the events of Nier Gestalt and were already wiped out by their own machines by then? And then after Nier Gestalt, the genomes of the replicants were stored and kept on the moon (I've forgotten a lot of the story of Nier Gestalt, so can't really remember what happened)?

The aliens invaded sometimes after Nier, fought against emil, lost, came back with their machines, were wiped out by them and then Automata happens

The hologram twins, or the network, were they created after Adam and Eve? Before? Were they a completely separate entity from Adam and Eve? They were the ones who built the giant cannon to shoot the moon, right?

I'm not sure when they were created*, but i wouldn't say they are entirely seperate entities. The network is exactly that, a collective consuinsness, which Adam and Eve were also part of.

So, by extension they built the cannon or rather devised the plan for all of that.

*See hobos post

Who created Yorha? I thought it was the human androids, but they left a backdoor for a virus to kill all the androids after a certain point? Why, just to keep the secret that humans are dead a secret? Pretty extreme.

Androids that were originally created by humanity created yorha sometime after nier happened and humanity went exctint, tho only a small amount of them, since they wanted to keep it secret and all. And indeed the back door was to kill of project yorha to ultimately kill everybody involved in making it, as well as all data and records about it, so the false god they wanted to create can live on forever-

I'm not sure about the overall implications of it myself, but basically adam and eve (and 9S depending on what you chose) were shot into the galaxy because the network changed its opinion about killing the androids "god" and decided that everything the network has been doing was a foolish mistake and to send that knowledge somehwere else so someplace different might avoid repeating that debacle.

Alright, so I finished the game last night (Ending E), and I'm still confused about a lot of things. Hoping someone can just lay it all out for me here.

Nier -> humans die out -> thousands of years later ayyylmaos attack -> thousands of years later Automata happens

The twins have been around since at least the Pearl Harbor mission that took place several years prior to Automata.

Ventara

I don't make any claims for accuracy since some things are simply up to interpretation

The aliens invaded sometimes after Nier, fought against emil, lost, came back with their machines, were wiped out by them and then Automata happens

I'm not sure when they were created*, but i wouldn't say they are entirely seperate entities. The network is exactly that, a collective consuinsness, which Adam and Eve were also part of.

So, by extension they built the cannon or rather devised the plan for all of that.

*See hobos post

Androids that were originally created by humanity created yorha sometime after nier happened and humanity went exctint, tho only a small amount of them, since they wanted to keep it secret and all. And indeed the back door was to kill of project yorha to ultimately kill everybody involved in making it, as well as all data and records about it, so the false god they wanted to create can live on forever-

I'm not sure about the overall implications of it myself, but basically adam and eve (and 9S depending on what you chose) were shot into the galaxy because the network changed its opinion about killing the androids "god" and decided that everything the network has been doing was a foolish mistake and to send that knowledge somehwere else so someplace different might avoid repeating that debacle.

Nier -> humans die out -> thousands of years later ayyylmaos attack -> thousands of years later Automata happens

The twins have been around since at least the Pearl Harbor mission that took place several years prior to Automata.

Wait, I'm confused. In Automata it said that Emil was made to fight the aliens, but he got that freaky body in Gestalt, but the aliens attacked after Gestalt?

So, the twins/network were responsible for killing the aliens, and Adam and Eve were a part of them, though mostly with their own consciences? And why build the cannon? They knew the humans were dead. They did say something about creating hardships for themselves to evolve, which is why I assume they never went all out against the human androids, but that still doesn't explain the cannon.

Those stupid androids who made Yorha are morons. What did they think would happen after killing all the androids? Like, the whole point was to give them hope and reason. Anyways, so these androids, they just left a backdoor, right? The virus seemed to be caused by the machines, unless these androids were cooperating with the machines or something.

And with the network deciding to change the cannon to an ark, did the entire network leave Earth? I thought Adam and Eve died? Were the ones on the ark backups or something? Why was 9S offered to go along?

Top Bottom