• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Jiraiza

Ten years later, 2B would find herself hunted by both machine lifeforms and YoRHa assassins—a life she seemed to enjoy more than her previous one.

You know, thinking about the [L]one Wolf ending in retrospect, I guess that's another subtle nod at the 2B being 2E twist. This game, man.

It was all fun and games until ****.

FrankWza

The way I saw it was A2 trying to get 9S to get a grip. If he wasn't infected, it may have done something... but I doubt it, he was pretty out of sorts anyway. I mean, it's obviously important information, but I think the presentation was that she was dropping it as a last ditch attempt at pacifying him, that it's supposed to seem abrupt and a bit extreme.

Of course, all of C/D is abrupt and extreme, which contributes to a feeling of desperation. And exasperation.

Thats how i took it. To me she was messing with him to appease him in an attempt to talk him down. She mentions his model being more advanced and that they knew he would figure it out and thats why he needed to be killed over and over.

Jiraiza

https://youtu.be/QJXuZMFL3Rw
Does this song make anyone else want to curl up in a ball and cry? I mean I felt that ending E was really emotional but if this had been playing instead I likely would have been an emotional wreck lol

Yeah, it's my favorite track. It's an eerily, soothing, but melancholic piece. On another note, thought this was cute when I saw it so I did a quick translation.

kYNKOG1.jpg

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
DLC? Maybe? Some more details of the PC release are now readable on steamdb.info https://steamdb.info/app/524220/depots/. The PC build the public has was updated 4 days ago but there's a non-public password protected branch that was updated yesterday that's newer.

It's called
colosseum_test DLC Colosseumテスト用 ver.192012

No real hints beyond that though. Could be something, very well could be absolutly nothing but it doesn't sound like a patch anyway.

LotusHD

Banned
So which person did you prefer to play as for the climax of Route C/D? 9S or A2?

It was far more awkward to play as 9S due to his rage, but he had the much cooler fight (especially with Overclock and the Engine Blade equipped), so I'm going with him.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So which person did you prefer to play as for the climax of Route C/D? 9S or A2?

It was far more awkward to play as 9S due to his rage, but he had the much cooler fight (especially with Overclock and the Engine Blade equipped), so I'm going with him.

A2. I don't want to play as a (more)deranged Ken Kaneki, and i really empathized with A2's strength. She probably went through far more pain than 9S can remember being in, but still tries to enact 2B's will and is a genuinely good person who was never infected or sent spiraling into despair

Jiraiza

9S for me, since I was more attached to him at that point. Bonus points for the rage.

Satch

Banned

A2

9S is an impotent dweeb, i cackled when he fell on A2's sword and died. Queen got the last laugh
4Head.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, fishing for the iron pipe suuuuuucks. I must have the worst luck.

edit: posting on GAF always seems to help, lol.

Weiss

Banned

A2's fight is more fun but I prefer 9S' ending and think it segues better into Ending E. Plus A2 didn't really get enough development.

Eumi

Gotta pick A2 for that fight. 9S is my boy, but that means i've gotta stop him.

I love that 9S can't actually win that fight. It's either a loss or a draw for him. Dude is just too far gone.

I wonder what waking up with 2B is like for him. I suppose if anything they both have stuff to be ashamed of now, so they might actually be even more open to each other.

A2 because I knew 9s had intention of just taking revenge and killing himself in some suicide attack. A2 would of at least tried to do something to help him. Isn't A1 ending canon to E since 9s lost an arm in her ending but kept both in his while ending e shows him with a missing arm.

Eumi

A2 because I knew 9s had intention of just taking revenge and killing himself in some suicide attack. A2 would of at least tried to do something to help him. Isn't A1 ending canon to E since 9s lost an arm in her ending but kept both in his while ending e shows him with a missing arm.
I think D is still the canon lead into E, since that arm was a virus infected death limb that they'd want to remove as quick as possible anyway.

Hektor

Here's some small interview with Taro
http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-nier-automata-director-taro-yoko-w472664

It says less about videogames than Taro himself tho

Has your view on game development matured over the years as you've gotten older?
When I was young, I had one wish from the bottom of my heart: "I wish all the useless and controlling elders of the gaming industry would die so I can create a game that I like!" Now that I have fulfilled my dream to "create a game that I like," there's not much left for me to do. However, because I don't have much else to do now, I am clinging onto my job as a game director. In a way, I'm just living out of habit now. And now, I have become that troublesome elder that I hated when I was young. Like a demon king in an RPG, I feel like I'm clinging to my castle of authority all alone and waiting for a new hero to come slay me.

lmao

LotusHD

Banned

Has your view on game development matured over the years as you've gotten older?
When I was young, I had one wish from the bottom of my heart: "I wish all the useless and controlling elders of the gaming industry would die so I can create a game that I like!" Now that I have fulfilled my dream to "create a game that I like," there's not much left for me to do. However, because I don't have much else to do now, I am clinging onto my job as a game director. In a way, I'm just living out of habit now. And now, I have become that troublesome elder that I hated when I was young. Like a demon king in an RPG, I feel like I'm clinging to my castle of authority all alone and waiting for a new hero to come slay me.

lmao

Insightful.

lmao
I really hope he doesn't feel like he's just going through the motions.

Setsu00

lmao

There is something oddly heartwarming about Yoko finally creating a game that he seems to genuinely like.

lmao

The man really has a unique personality that I hope he sticks around for as long as he can. In other news I beat the secret boss and yeah
fighting Emil with his theme was just depressing. Poor kid.

BriGuy

I should have made a separate save file for the opera boss. I wanted to replay it, but it's comically easy no matter what I do to gimp my characters, and one-hit death in very hard isn't my idea of challenging or fun. I wish there was a way to scale the enemies to your liking.

N° 2048

I should have made a separate save file for the opera boss. I wanted to replay it, but it's comically easy no matter what I do to gimp my characters, and one-hit death in very hard isn't my idea of challenging or fun. I wish there was a way to scale the enemies to your liking.

What about debug mode? Would that work?

I think D is still the canon lead into E, since that arm was a virus infected death limb that they'd want to remove as quick as possible anyway.

That's true. It's fine either way but would be hell of an awkward conversation for everyone since 9s went full crazy. Is there any sign of the tower in ending e. Deleted my save and haven't started a new yet so going off memory at the moment.

Silvard

Despite what you may think of him, everyone can pretty much agree that 9S is the main protagonist of the three, right? Not just based on screen time.

nOoblet16

2B is like the one that's least aware of anything that's going on.

I wish A2 kept her long hair, she looks exactly like 2B and plays like her too more or less so long hair would've been nice. Don't know why she cut it..is it some anime trope of saying "I'm getting ready to kick some ass" ? lol

Levito

Banned
Tagging this thread for later. I deleted my saved data and flipped my shit when I learned your data becomes a helper in ending E.

LotusHD

Banned

I wish A2 kept her long hair, she looks exactly like 2B and plays like her too more or less so long hair would've been nice. Don't know why she cut it..is it some anime trope of saying "I'm getting ready to kick some ass" ? lol

Yes, it's usually used as a way to symbolize character development, ass-kicking and what not. Gravity Rush 2 did the same thing lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
TBH I don't think 9S really 'earns' his revenge arc, either, at least in an interpersonal sense.

I know 2B reciprocates despite her outward demeanor in route A, but too much of the backstory for the two of them kind of feels like it relies on the outside material like the book that highlights her own sorrow and feelings.

A2 definitely needed more time in the sun than a couple of sidequests in Pascal's village and some text logs, but I like her better as a protagonist (though some of that could be me not liking hacking too much, or having to do it too often on 9S' route)

I was kind of wondering this too. Part of me almost thinks that 2B's memories started 'infecting' her upon the acquisition of her sword, but another part could just be the potential issues in modeling long hair in a prolonged scenario (versus one 'side-view' fight).

Yeah it's either pod 043 or 9S.

Was really impressed how they made the random conversation cutscenes between the two pods playba bigger role later on in the game. But 9s is the lead android for certain, 2b as much as she is my favourite of the 3 is just plot details and A2 was A2 i guess. Dlc which is unlikely should really be on A2.

Silvard

TBH I don't think 9S really 'earns' his revenge arc, either, at least in an interpersonal sense.

I know 2B reciprocates despite her outward demeanor in route A, but too much of the backstory for the two of them kind of feels like it relies on the outside material like the book that highlights her own sorrow and feelings.

A2 definitely needed more time in the sun than a couple of sidequests in Pascal's village and some text logs, but I like her better as a protagonist (though some of that could be me not liking hacking too much, or having to do it too often on 9S' route)

I was kind of wondering this too. Part of me almost thinks that 2B's memories started 'infecting' her upon the acquisition of her sword, but another part could just be the potential issues in modeling long hair in a prolonged scenario (versus one 'side-view' fight).

I haven't actually put it on to test it, but considering that you do get her hair after route C I don't think it's a technical copout.

It's probably meant to symbolize that she's taking on 2B's role/mission/wishes.

Jiraiza

Well, if the first NieR is anything to go by, we'll probably get an influx of material in the form of other media that'll explore their characters more. Not a big fan of the media mix thing, though.

Slater

Banned
Well, if the first NieR is anything to go by, we'll probably get an influx of material in the form of other media that'll explore their characters more. Not a big fan of the media mix thing, though.

There all ready doing that, we already have a novella detailing one of the times 2B had to kill 9S

It's a sign of character development, emphasizes the connection between A2 and the E-series, and represents taking 2B's memories and dying wish upon herself.

A friend made this fanart, and it makes my mind race with how wildly different the game could have been, and then how wildly different the two versions of Nier [1] were, tonally.

C6XTQHqU4AI6FU6.jpg

Only putting this in the spoiler thread instead of the main one, in case if SOMEHOW, someone missed that Emil is in the game.

Top Bottom