• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Gotchaye

I tried to go fight Emil after stealing his mask but I can't seem to damage him at all, even with hacking. And then eventually I get blown up by all the bouncing heads, which anti-chain damage doesn't appear to work on.

lYCZfWTl.png

lol

OniBaka

Think I was that level or maybe 70 when I fought him and it was my lvl 3 pods that were mainly doing damage and melee. Hacking did jack shit.

ramyeon

Think I was that level or maybe 70 when I fought him and it was my lvl 3 pods that were mainly doing damage and melee. Hacking did jack shit.
At 99 I destroyed him with only my Gatling gun. Wish I had been a bit lower level to be honest. I think 70 is the sweet spot.

Anyone else go back to both Adam boss rooms much later in the game? I did as A2, the Copied City has infinitely respawning small stubbies and flyers, I fought there for a while, maxed out a bunch of materials, got a bunch of cores, gained a few levels. The desert arena changes to infinitely respawning mediums (regular and enhanced red versions) plus large swinging arm types. Both places the enemies are in the 60s.

I fought in the desert for like 30 minutes with drop rate chips equipped and gained 80k money, and maxed out on a bunch of mats (like titanium).

Man, I kinda regret rushing through the story first time around, skipping side quests. Not only do most of them have an impactful ending (via text) but they really add to 2B and 9S' relationship, either by apparent growth or foreshadowing that makes later plot development all the more gut-renching.

Ruff

I just had a thought. Is Hegel Emir in disguise? We've already seen the other Emil clone hide himeself inside a machine after all. When you fight it, Emils theme plays and you don't actually beat it after it EMP's A2. it just vanishes. Later on you find Emil heads buried in the desert and his fight is almost exactly the same with the same song.

Baalzebup

I just had a thought. Is Hegel Emir in disguise? We've already seen the other Emil clone hide himeself inside a machine after all. When you fight it, Emils theme plays and you don't actually beat it after it EMP's A2. it just vanishes. Later on you find Emil heads buried in the desert and his fight is almost exactly the same with the same song.
I'd imagine Hegel is based on Emil. We do get to hear its voice and memories during the hack that follows the EMP attack and they are its own thing. The whole basic design of the robots and their general use of what seems to be Maso in their projectile attacks hints that the aliens inserted some base of Emil into them.

What is curious is just how strong the aliens were given how this one crazy Emil-weapon wrecks this much face. It could kill anything else in the game with contemptuous ease.

LotusHD

Banned
Did anyone of y'all accidentally miss Pascal being back at his village, selling the children's cores?

I always tell people to play as A2 first until they're forced to play as 9S just because I feel like had I not done that, like if I alternated instead, that I might have missed out on that lol

Ruff

I'd imagine Hegel is based on Emil. We do get to hear its voice and memories during the hack that follows the EMP attack and they are its own thing. The whole basic design of the robots and their general use of what seems to be Maso in their projectile attacks hints that the aliens inserted some base of Emil into them.

What is curious is just how strong the aliens were given how this one crazy Emil-weapon wrecks this much face. It could kill anything else in the game with contemptuous ease.

You have a point. I think it's strongly hinted in Emils picture book that when Emil made clones to fight the aliens ( Possibly before they even made the first machine lifeform) they took inspiration and imitated him for a lot of their machine models. I mean, you can see Emil in quite a lot of forms in that picture.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did anyone of y'all accidentally miss Pascal being back at his village, selling the children's cores?

I always tell people to play as A2 first until they're forced to play as 9S just because I feel like had I not done that, like if I alternated instead, that I might have missed out on that lol

I missed out on that because I killed Pascal.

no shame

saturnine

I prioritized A2 and still missed it when playing as 9S. You're not required to go back to his village and the story was too interesting so I rushed from one box to the next.

LotusHD

Banned
I missed out on that because I killed Pascal.

no shame

Oh my...

I prioritized A2 and still missed it when playing as 9S. You're not required to go back to his village and the story was too interesting so I rushed from one box to the next.

True. I tell people to focus on A2 because it maximizes the chances of them going there, but at the same time, I don't want to spoil it for them so it's ultimately up to them to find out lol

Ruff

Why is 9s so emo? 2b requested a2 to kill her, why can't he act like a normal, rational person/robot?

For reason A2 just never seems to mention it. The again, 9S is so far gone from all the deaths, deception and bullshit that Yorha have done I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway

Why is 9s so emo? 2b requested a2 to kill her, why can't he act like a normal, rational person/robot?

As he says, the fact that A2 killed 2B is the only reason he needs - the context is irrelevant. Which is understandable given that he was born into a life of constant violence and struggle, and 2B was the only person to ever really show him kindness.

Samikaze

His still trusts his commanders too much.
He clearly sees machines showing intelligence, brushes it off and keeps justifying his killing.
He knows the Truth about humanity, still fights their fight.

They told him A2 betrayed them and killed any pursuers. He then sees A2 kill 2B, so he still sees her as an enemy.

He has no reason to believe her in his mind.

He's flawed. His critical thinking is lacking.

Satch

Banned
2B and A2's "relationship" reminds me of something but i cant really put my finger on it

theyre like 2 enemy samurai who respect each other. like i know it doesnt play out like that in game at all since they only met the one time before Tuba died and it wasnt some kind of long and drawn out rivalry, but it gives me that vibe, u know what im saying? i wonder if that's Taro's intent or am i reaching

she comes to 2B's aid and then hears her out about carrying on YoRHa's legacy and then gives 2B a respectful warrior's death with her trusty glorious nippon steel. its this kinda honorable transition of power and she kills 2B so she doesnt have to suffer the logic virus or whatever, and that she dies as Herself and not some monster

idk. somebody has to get what im saying here. i love A2 srry

2B and A2's "relationship" reminds me of something but i cant really put my finger on it

theyre like 2 enemy samurai who respect each other. like i know it doesnt play out like that in game at all since they only met the one time before Tuba died and it wasnt some kind of long and drawn out rivalry, but it gives me that vibe, u know what im saying? i wonder if that's Taro's intent or am i reaching

she comes to 2B's aid and then hears her out about carrying on YoRHa's legacy and then gives 2B a respectful warrior's death with her trusty glorious nippon steel. its this kinda honorable transition of power and she kills 2B so she doesnt have to suffer the logic virus or whatever, and that she dies as Herself and not some monster

The boss fight where A2 and 9S have to work with one another was so hype. You knew 9s was head over heels on killing A2 yet at that one moment, shit needed to be worked out.

Ruff

Even better that B2 is literally an upgraded A model. They are very alike even down to the spot on both of their chins

I don't know if I'd say they had that kind of relationship, though there was definitely a strong "honorable warrior's death" vibe to their final scene together. I thought of it as A2 is the grizzled veteran who sees an echo of her younger self in 2B.

A2 is pretty great, I agree.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

It's definitely an honor thing of A2 listening and granting 2B her death before losing herself. That is a samurai thing since they had a very special thing for honor. The hair cutting thing is also a thing for samurais abandoning the profession but for women this means leaving the past behind and living the moment which here also shows her accepting to take 2B's duty.

ShinMaruku

Given that they are kinda 2 sides of the same coin with A2 getting more of Khaine's data, I think them sharing and merging data was a pretty good look.

Moaradin

I'm trying to clean up my unit data for that sidequest, and apparently I missed the Vengeful Child as part of gold machine sequence. I'm using Chapter Select to go back to route C, and I can't get any of the gold machines to spawn again. Am I fucked on that?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat all 5 main endings on the PC version. What an utterly fantastic game.

Now do I want to do the work to upgrade all my weapons for the super duper hidden boss or do I just watch it on youtube...

9S went through some shit man. It wasn't just A2 killing 2B that caused his breakdown.

9S acts like a bitch by the end.

I just finished and had a question about the end of Yorha project. Is this like a perpetual thing that happens over and over to continue the war w/ the machines or was it just a one time thing that happens when whoever was in charge was like fuck it, too much time's passed?

Resonance

9S acts like a bitch by the end.

I just finished and had a question about the end of Yorha project. Is this like a perpetual thing that happens over and over to continue the war w/ the machines or was it just a one time thing that happens when whoever was in charge was like fuck it, too much time's passed?

Sees 2B get killed > machine network messing with his memories > had to fight own operator > had to kill 2b models > infected with virus > finds out his existence is meaningless

I mean, how else was he suppose to react? He's been through way too much shit

Squire

Banned
YO

Y'all really undersold the VN backstory for Anemone. All the VN parts of this game are just fantastic writing, but that might be the best one all collected. Really contextualizes how much the logic virus fucks you up, too. Some great foreshadowing of 9S in there.

I really think they should've worked this into the main game. Obviously they nudge you toward it, but I wouldn't have minded having to go through that the first go-around.

Moaradin

Got this my first time through Route C. Ever since, I've recommended to everyone else playing the game to do as many sidequests as they can before continuing in the main story.

Yeah, I got that the first time too. Then I watched a few other people do that part and that dialogue didn't show up. Made me wonder if there's any other sidequest that trigger additional dialogue in the main story.

21O talks about wanting a family when you fight her. Does that happen normally or is that also based on her sidequest?

YO

Y'all really undersold the VN backstory for Anemone. All the VN parts of this game are just fantastic writing, but that might be the best one all collected. Really contextualizes how much the logic virus fucks you up, too. Some great foreshadowing of 9S in there.

I really think they should've worked this into the main game. Obviously they nudge you toward it, but I wouldn't have minded having to go through that the first go-around.

Wow, I had no idea that was something you can miss. I always just thought you got access to it automatically.

YO

I'm surprised people missed it because I remember they pan the camera towards it and the resistance leader mentions it to you. Was actually a good story as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't play many sidequests, so this might explain it, but I didn't feel like I understood anything about who A2 was or why I should care about her. I really lost the narrative thread in the C branch.

Shihon

I'm sorry GAF,I may been a minority but I feel the 9S/2B romance was forced. The developers could of flushed it out more and made me care about their plight but nothing they did together was even noteworthy. The original Nier with Kaine and Neir had a better thought out subtle romance arch. In the end with Automata I ended up not caring about 2B or 9S(God I fucking hate 9S).

Don't get me wrong,the game is good but the forced romance was just unnecessary.Especially that scene where 2B cries and strangles 9S. I'm sitting their the whole time wondering ''WTF is this,this is so random and sudden''. Before you chew my head off,yes I read the 2B killing him over and over notes but it still made no sense considering shes a E-Series.

All in all to wrap it up,2B was cool and 9S almost ruined the game for me(did I mention I hate 9S)? Now A2 story was killer,the interaction with Pascal,the banter with POD,etc. Feels like her story was well thought out,too bad it was short and we had to share it with murder bot 9000S.

Top Bottom