• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Kthulhu

finally experienced this

https://youtu.be/1N0qSSYKkew

im going the fuck to sleep

Almost brings me to tears just as much as the first time I saw it.

I'm sorry GAF,I may been a minority but I feel the 9S/2B romance was forced. The developers could of flushed it out more and made me care about their plight but nothing they did together was even noteworthy. The original Nier with Kaine and Neir had a better thought out subtle romance arch. In the end with Automata I ended up not caring about 2B or 9S(God I fucking hate 9S).

Don't get me wrong,the game is good but the forced romance was just unnecessary.Especially that scene where 2B cries and strangles 9S. I'm sitting their the whole time wondering ''WTF is this,this is so random and sudden''. Before you chew my head off,yes I read the 2B killing him over and over notes but it still made no sense considering shes a E-Series.

All in all to wrap it up,2B was cool and 9S almost ruined the game for me(did I mention I hate 9S)? Now A2 story was killer,the interaction with Pascal,the banter with POD,etc. Feels like her story was well thought out,too bad it was short and we had to share it with murder bot 9000S.

Could you elaborate more?

Kthulhu

On what? 2B and 9S arch or why I hated 9S?

More so 9S.

I personally thought they led up to the romance well. I don't have time right now to post my full thoughts, but I'll try and make it short.

After completing the game and seeing 2B in the new context that brings, I feel that it is apparent from very early on that 2B is interested in 9S. 9S doesn't start out in love with 2B, it more manifests over time.

Shihon

More so 9S.

I personally thought they led up to the romance well. I don't have time right now to post my full thoughts, but I'll try and make it short.

After completing the game and seeing 2B in the new context that brings, I feel that it is apparent from very early on that 2B is interested in 9S. 9S doesn't start out in love with 2B, it more manifests over time.

I respect your opinions and thoughts on the matter of 2B/9S. With that said I'm gonna have to disagree,come on man I know you played better games where romance were carefully thought and stretched out. Nier Automata was not one of them to me,it felt so unnecessary and a plot device to try to make me care about 2B/9S. It did the opposite actually and one the reasons was their character relationship. I know 2B is suppose to be cold and calculated but playing as her she never really bantered with him and when they did it was a sentence or two with her always shutting him down or ignoring him. Also there was no noteworthy moment between them that felt special leading up to Route A's ending.

Also 9S was just too cliche for me,typical ''boy gone mad over his love and now I want to murder everything in sight'' is over played. Seen it too much in Japanese media,also I personally didn't like his design. They could of gave us a better character in my opinion other than a shota type male lead. The original Nier male characters is what I had in mind but that's just me.

I'm off the work,but I look forward to hearing your thoughts or rebuttal later if you're on this thread later.

Squire

Banned
More so 9S.

It's funny how that works, isn't it? All the times her patience is short or she's jealous. She's really into him.

I respect your opinions and thoughts on the matter of 2B/9S. With that said I'm gonna have to disagree,come on man I know you played better games where romance where carefully thought and stretched out. Nier Automata was not one of them to me,it felt so unnecessary and a plot device to try to make me care about 2B/9S. It did the opposite actually and one the reasons was their character relationship. I know 2B is suppose to be cold and calculated but playing as her she never really bantered with him and there was no noteworthy moment between them that felt special leading up to Route A's ending.

Also 9S was just too cliche for me,typical ''boy gone mad over his love and now I want to murder everything in sight'' is over played. Seen it too much in Japanese media,also I personally didn't like his design. They could of gave us a better character in my opinion other than a shota type male lead. The original Nier male characters is what I had in mind but that's just me.

I'm off the work,but I look forward to hearing your thoughts or rebuttal later if you're on this thread later.

You can read 2B as cold:calculating either unintentionally or out of necessity. She definitely doesn't want to be that way, but she has to. A big point of the narrative is understanding why.

This story is very largely a tragedy chiefly driven by misinformstion/misunderstandings. The player is guilty too.

2B strangling 9S might have been random and sudden at the end of route A/B while crying about it, but when you realize why she said "It always ends like this" during route C, it really changes the perspective. In the context of Route A/B you would most likely think its just about her surviving intact with him reverting like at the end of the prologue, but in reality its because she has killed him multiple times, and its hurting her.

How many times has 2B killed 9S? No wonder she acts as cold as possible, she wants to bury her feelings because she knows shes going to be forced to kill him again. Fucking brutal. I love how the game forces her out though. She always ends up prioritizing 9S over everything anyway.

Baalzebup

I respect your opinions and thoughts on the matter of 2B/9S. With that said I'm gonna have to disagree,come on man I know you played better games where romance were carefully thought and stretched out. Nier Automata was not one of them to me,it felt so unnecessary and a plot device to try to make me care about 2B/9S. It did the opposite actually and one the reasons was their character relationship. I know 2B is suppose to be cold and calculated but playing as her she never really bantered with him and when they did it was a sentence or two with her always shutting him down or ignoring him. Also there was no noteworthy moment between them that felt special leading up to Route A's ending.
Eh, she isn't, and isn't supposed to be, cold and calculated. She is merely trying to keep distance and it is worthy of note that she fails at that too. Being E-series doesn't magically make her psychologically hardened or anything and the androids are extremely human in such aspects. The other E-type we meet in the game has gone utterly insane from the repeated acts of killing her friends all over again, enough so that she tried to rely on a mindwipe to keep the crazy at bay.

And 2B doesn't just constantly shut 9S down. When they ask Pascal for info about A2, afterwards 2B comments that it is unwise to talk with the machines without instructions from command, but also mentions that she "doesn't dislike" that inquisitive part of him, which, if you read between the lines just a bit, is her saying she likes that part of him (this might be less apparent in the English track, I haven't seen the scene with that yet) When you randomly move through the shopping mall at a later time with the two, 9S chats about shopping and the like, and 2B consents that after the war is over, they would go shopping for clothes together (well, a T-shirt to be more specific). It is kind of same with how she interacts with her operator, 6O. She tries to keep it cool and professional while 6O chatters about this and that, but still goes out of her way to send 6O pictures of pretty flowers.

The thing about their relationship is that it is already established long before we, the players, get to see any of it. 2B clearly cares deeply for 9S, but is suffering from the constant cycle of having to kill and reset him whenever he gets in too deep and we are seeing that manifesting in her attempts of keeping distance. Her is clearly pained at the bunker, post prologue, when it is revealed that 9S only managed to back up her data. It was one more valuable, shared moment that only she remembers. This repeats at endings A and B, where, realistically they'd only lose less than an hour of 9S' memories, but it still causes her anguish. 9S, on the other hand, is "doomed" to fall for 2B again and again, with him clearly retaining some vestiges of his past selves as hidden half-memories.

Jiraiza

wall of text

I can't think of one game where romance was done as well as this one. Maybe Xenogears or the Trails of the Sky series but I haven't finished those, so I can't comment.

I certainly wouldn't have mind for more banter between the two, but that doesn't really dock down any points on their relationship. It's the kind of romance where they don't spoonfeed you everything. Judging by your post, it sounds like you wouldn't like 9S no matter where they took his character, anyway.

LotusHD

Banned
I can't think of one game where romance was done as well as this one. Maybe Xenogears or the Trails of the Sky series but I haven't finished those, so I can't comment.

I certainly wouldn't have mind for more banter between the two, but that doesn't really dock down any points on their relationship. It's the kind of romance where they don't spoonfeed you everything. Judging by your post, it sounds like you wouldn't like 9S no matter where they took his character, anyway.

Yea it was very well done in an understated sort of way. Like you said, you have to put the pieces together to understand just how deep their relationship went.

The romance was done very nicely here. Impressively, Route C plays out with even more gravitas a second time around. Then you hit the downed ship that 2B left near the structural unit in the Flooded area. Last time I had the volume low and didn't get the full impact of the voice acting of her message to 9S...unfortunate that many players miss this completely, one of 2B's finest moments.

During the replay I also let the fight with Operator 210 run longer to get all her comments over several minutes. If you keep it going she eventually says straight out that "I just wanted to be with....9s" as her last line.

I checked videos and it seems almost everyone finishes the fight before that. You can feel the legit anger/sadness as 9S with everything falling apart, given the full context of 210's often hard-to-read relationship with him on top of his primary relationship with 2B.

Baalzebup

The romance was done very nicely here. Impressively, Route C plays out with even more gravitas a second time around. Then you hit the downed ship that 2B left near the structural unit in the Flooded area. Last time I had the volume low and didn't get the full impact of the voice acting of her message to 9S...unfortunate that many players miss this completely, one of 2B's finest moments.
Yeah, that voice message is quite something.

I honestly don't know why more people aren't talking about this game. Did a lot of reviewrs not get ending E? I haven't ever been moved by a game like this before and I cant stop thinging about it. Closest thing I can compare it to is maybe mgs1 or mgs2 at launch . I have no desire to go back and finish botw or to start a new sp game after the experience this game provided.

Just completed ending E and erased my save data and everything, but from this thread I can see that I kinda missed a whole lot :/ But I guess that's what the internet/wikis are for.

LotusHD

Banned
I honestly don't know why more people aren't talking about this game. Did a lot of reviewrs not get ending E? I haven't ever been moved by a game like this before and I cant stop thinging about it. Closest thing I can compare it to is maybe mgs1 or mgs2 at launch . I have no desire to go back and finish botw or to start a new sp game after the experience this game provided.

It ripped me away from BoTW, and even then, it took me like a week before I finally felt like playing Zelda again. (Which I'm doing right now lol) Part of it is because I get distracted easily with life and shit, but it also has to do this game always being on my damn mind all the time lol

And just like you, I keep looking for reviewers, podcasts, etc. because I genuinely wanna know their thoughts on this game.

I was initially considering BoTW as my GOTG, but I may have played two this month...

It doesn't have mainstream appeal, the sexualized characters don't help either. I find it hard to play this game along side horizon, it really requires a different mindset and I find it hard to enjoy the game everytime I see 2b's butt.

LotusHD

Banned
It doesn't have mainstream appeal, the sexualized characters don't help either. I find it hard to play this game along side horizon, it really requires a different mindset and I find it hard to enjoy the game everytime I see 2b's butt.

It's been discussed ad-nauseam, but y'all weren't kidding when y'all said that you'd really have to go out of your way to see her ass.

A2 is the one I thought people would go after, but I guess that's what happens when 2B is seen as the star of it all.

Razmos

Yeah, I got that the first time too. Then I watched a few other people do that part and that dialogue didn't show up. Made me wonder if there's any other sidequest that trigger additional dialogue in the main story.

21O talks about wanting a family when you fight her. Does that happen normally or is that also based on her sidequest?
It most likely is based on her sidequest as the objects you gather for her in the desert housing complex leads to her discussing familial units (albeit in a scientific sorta way)

I guess deep down she really wanted a family, maybe that's why she treats 9S like a son or little brother

Many reviewers who finished the game are just that. Reviewers. They write reviews and have twitter platforms, but they don't do podcast or are famous personalities.

Anecdotally, chasing down as many NieR impressions from all the big outlets with a big podcast/media presence, too many of them have been busy with Zelda and have not finished NieR or are still early in the game.

Waypoint are finally taken with the game, but all of them are very early in the game. Patrick only finished Ending A recently.

USGamer's reviewer is the only one who's finished it. Kat Bailey & Nadia didn't play the game, or are still early.

GiantBomb's Alex Navarro is the only one who's clearly commited to NieR at this point, but it seems like more of them are maybe going to play NieR now that PC ver is out and the positive reviews are making them curious.

Easy Allies's Ben Moore is the only one who's completed it so far. So it's difficult for him to talk about it.

Even outlets talking about it are still avoiding spoilers.

Character designs don't bother me but I get your point. However it's an openworld action rpg, with super fun combat, amazing score, beautiful animations and a good/interesting narrative . It seems like it has mainstream appeal, no? Everyone is talking about botw and horizon and they are both great games but out of these games, only nier has really got into my brain and made me see the medium in a new light. It was an emotional experience, I won't soon forget. Botw and horizon are fantasic and polished openworld games but they certainly didn't change the way I think about games like Nier did. I'm curious about how many reviewers got to ending E

It's been discussed ad-nauseam, but y'all weren't kidding when y'all said that you'd really have to go out of your way to see her ass.

A2 is the one I thought people would go after, but I guess that's what happens when 2B is seen as the star of it all.
I've been on complete media blackout, so I am not familiar with what's been discussed. But it happens frequently enough to be distracting. Normally I might have been ok with it, but playing it along with horizon makes it way worse. I would have enjoyed the game more if I had prepared and gotten into it with the right mindset.

Kthulhu

This thread has 39 pages, game's got a 89 review average. What more did you want? It was also released close to several more popular titles.

People who haven't played it will get to it, just give them time.

This thread has 39 pages, game's got a 89 review average. What more did you want? It was also released close to several more popular titles.

That's not a lot of pages, tbh. I just want my friends to have played it so we can discuss it, lol. I was referring to reviewers, though. It seems like a lot of game journalists haven't finished it and as time goes on it's more likely they will have the good stuff spoiled for them.

LotusHD

Banned

More discussion, duh ;D

That's not a lot of pages, tbh. I just want my friends to have played it so we can discuss it, lol. I was referring to reviewers, though. It seems like a lot of game journalists haven't finished it and as time goes on it's more likely they will have the good stuff spoiled for them.

Tbh, the main thing I want is for my friend to play it. But he's taking his damn time getting to it, despite owning the game...

Game seems to be doing quite well, better than expected at least. Does almost everything right in my book which includes a lot of things that would be dulled down if it aimed at mainstream (rather than unexpected popularity). Every time I see a complaint about gameplay perspective shifts, or being stuck playing an old "Atari shooter", or the different routes being must-play for the full story I can only reflect on how much I like the whole of the game myself.

Kthulhu

Same. I've convinced 3 people to play this game and that was before I finished it.

Yeah, pundits probably aren't done yet, but they're gonna get to it eventually.

TBH I feel like the butt memes have helped awareness if anything. Yeah it's annoying that most people think of 2B's butt when they think of Automata, but I'm willing to bet they'd have never heard of it without that whole controversy.

DasFool

Hey, guys. I need some help on trying to 100%. I have 58/60 side quests done and only have one active: Reconnaissance Squad. The sidequest I'm looking for seems to be active from Chapter 7 until Chapter 10 for both 2B/9S, yet it's not listed anywhere on [url="http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Side+Quests]this page[/url]. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gotchaye

The character designs are probably the biggest hurdle to me enthusiastically recommending the game to everyone. You've at least got to warn them about A2.

But tbh the game seems to be getting a lot more positive attention than anyone was expecting and I bet that it beats sales projections handily, whatever those are. Like, this is not something I'd have given a second look if not for lots of positive word-of-mouth.

Edit: To be clear while I think that 2B is jarring at first she works with the game's overall style, and it helps a lot that the game actually deals with sexual themes in an interesting way. A2 is still pretty embarrassing.

Kthulhu

The character designs are probably the biggest hurdle to me enthusiastically recommending the game to everyone. You've at least got to warn them about A2.

But tbh the game seems to be getting a lot more positive attention than anyone was expecting and I bet that it beats sales projections handily, whatever those are. Like, this is not something I'd have given a second look if not for lots of positive word-of-mouth.

Probably anything higher than the original Nier's​ sales numbers.

Joe Molotov

Hey, guys. I need some help on trying to 100%. I have 58/60 side quests done and only have one active: Reconnaissance Squad. The sidequest I'm looking for seems to be active from Chapter 7 until Chapter 10 for both 2B/9S, yet it's not listed anywhere on [url="http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Side+Quests]this page[/url]. Any advice would be appreciated.

You have to turn in enemy data to a Yorha member that's hiding out in the Forest King's Castle.

LotusHD

Banned

Edit: To be clear while I think that 2B is jarring at first she works with the game's overall style, and it helps a lot that the game actually deals with sexual themes in an interesting way. A2 is still pretty embarrassing.

I consider them both (namely A2( and the self-destruct feature, hills not worth dying on, though it's become a little easier with 2B now that I've played the entire game. Also did not expect her outfit to apparently be something that a lot of people want to cosplay, though I guess it makes sense.

Really nothing more to be said at this point for me personally

Warn them that an m-rated game has m-rated imagery?
I know what you mean, but that choice of words still feels a little too dramatic, lol. I'd have a harder time recommending something like Zero Escape.

I consider them both (namely A2( and the self-destruct feature, hills not worth dying on, though it's become a little easier with 2B now that I've played the entire game. Also did not expect her outfit to apparently be something that a lot of people want to cosplay, though I guess it makes sense.

Really nothing more to be said at this point for me personally
I don't mean to brush off people's understandable concerns, but 2B really does look more imposing without her skirt. There's something about her outfit and the way she walks that just exudes strength to me.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't mean to brush off people's understandable concerns, but 2B really does look more imposing without her skirt. There's something about her outfit and the way she walks that just exudes strength to me.

I did it like once for both her and 9S (unlocked a trophy for him by accident lmao), then never again. Twas' boring. For A2, I used it often because B-Mode is great, and ironically I didn't find it as awkward as 2B's self-destruct.

Arkeband

Banned

They're on the front of the box with four feet of pure legs, if people are 'embarassed' they may need to book a visit to Lenscrafters.

Speaking of the boxart, that's another thing that bugs me about people being put off the game by the character designs.

The game chooses to represent itself with a beautiful reversal of stereotypical gender roles. I bet you could count on one hand the number of boxarts that have the female lead boldly standing front and center while cradling the male lead in her arms.

And that received only a fraction of the attention that Tuba's butt got.

Teggy

Apologies if these answers are somewhere deep in the threrad:

1. It is possible to beat the credits alone, and if so, what happens

2. Where is A2s history described? I saw some reference to documents you can get from Anemone, but I didn't run into them when playing.

3. Is Accord physically in the game or just mentioned in passing?

Hektor

2. Where is A2s history described? I saw some reference to documents you can get from Anemone, but I didn't run into them when playing.

2. Assuming you didn't deleted your savegame you can find it in the computer behind anemone as A2.

If you did however, you might as well check out the longer, elaborate version here
http://nier2.com/blog/yorha-stage-play/

A2 is No2

3. Only mentioned

Kthulhu

Yes, nothing different.

I didn't see anything much outside of that.

If she is, I didn't find her

Answers are bolded.

There are three files to access relating to A2 on that computer behind Anemone. Before triggering their availability you might have seen an NPC working there during the game.

Top Bottom