• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Shifty

He is Taro's favorite character so I think he is going to be alright. When asked if Emil would die Taro said, "He has no reason to so he won't die." or something like that. He's still suffering though :(

He's trucking along cheerfully though.

Trucking? Eh?

...I'll see myself out.

Edit: Wheyy bad joke at the top of a new page.

EdmondD

Emil is intimately tied to the Drakenier universe. The whole reason he was turned into a weapon was to fight the Legion and relapsed Replicants. Since his power is magic based that means he gets his power form the other world (Drakengard) I'm no expert though I just like talking about this stuff.

Shifty

Why was Emil head in a robot anyways? I thought the game was gonna go down the direction that the machines were all just Emil and humanity just thought he was an alien.

I'm really wondering about this as well. Thoughts so far are either that this Emil clone was created in the image of one of the machines, or that he disguised himself to hang out and learn more about them.

I've finished Automata, but I'm still processing it, goddamn. Ending E had me in tears, of course.

My personal theory is that the machine lifeforms all have big bowling ball coverings for heads because the aliens fought Emil and assumed he was the dominant species on the planet and based them on him.

I need this to be true.

Why was Emil head in a robot anyways? I thought the game was gonna go down the direction that the machines were all just Emil and humanity just thought he was an alien.

What if the machine cores were created from the fallen Emils

On top of the machines already resembling Emil, once all the machines started bringing some logic virus cannibalistic realness, I was pretty freaked out by how much their teeth looked like Emil's. I was surprised it all didn't go somewhere.

A-V-B

I've finished Automata, but I'm still processing it, goddamn. Ending E had me in tears, of course.

I need this to be true.

On top of the machines already resembling Emil, once all the machines started bringing some logic virus cannibalistic realness, I was pretty freaked out by how much their teeth looked like Emil's. I was surprised it all didn't go somewhere.

This story has fucking endless layers lol

I assumed the Pods used magic. Their pod programs had similar effects to magic in the first Nier.
It may have been mentioned, but on the loading screen you might have noticed a line saying "MP Status: 100%". My assumption is that the Pod program cooldown timer is just how long it takes to regen your MP.

Edit: random thought: I wonder if MP in both games could stand for Maso Particles.

JackelZXA

He is Taro's favorite character so I think he is going to be alright. When asked if Emil would die Taro said, "He has no reason to so he won't die." or something like that. He's still suffering though :(
This is a
lie. Emile dies after the second lvl 99 secret boss in the desert. It is so explicit that his soul moves on to rejoin his friends in the afterlife. Sad as fuck. :(

In the Emil boss fight Pod says something like "Magic from the Old World detected".

And something about how magic bypasses all defenses so I guess it's different form what the Pods use.

IIRC Halua was made into a monster as a result of experiments with the red maso or whatever so that explains how it's magic and not super advanced tech.

Weiss

Banned
This is a
lie. Emile dies after the second lvl 99 secret boss in the desert. It is so explicit that his soul moves on to rejoin his friends in the afterlife. Sad as fuck. :(

It's a clone. The original Emil doesn't appear in this game at all.

EdmondD

This is a
It's from an old interview. He had a good run :( Some of his clones are still around but yeah that seemed pretty explicit.

It may have been mentioned, but on the loading screen you might have noticed a line saying "MP Status: 100%". My assumption is that the Pod program cooldown timer is just how long it takes to regen your MP.

Edit: random thought: I wonder if MP in both games could stand for Maso Particles.

Yeah that caught my eye. Interesting thought on what MP stand for. I like it.

Ruff

Currently a few hours into SOMA and I'm seeing some very strong ending D vibes so far. I wonder if YT has ever played it.

Jeffrey

Why did Emil head quit fighting the war and become a merchant anyways lol.

Also anyone else disappointed that there was no night time? After playing a lot of zelda I kinda want a giant Emil moon to come up.

Moon size Emil vs independence day style alien motherships.

This story has fucking endless layers lol

Ha, yep. Things that have endless layers - onions, ogres, Nier Automata.

Currently a few hours into SOMA and I'm seeing some very strong ending D vibes so far. I wonder if YT has ever played it.

Yeah, absolutely re: SOMA. It's interesting to see both games deal with similar themes, but explore them in very different ways. I think SOMA fucked me up more than Automata, if possible.

Also anyone else disappointed that there was no night time? After playing a lot of zelda I kinda want a giant Emil moon to come up.

I accepted the budgetary constraints of this game the second it was announced. But yes, going from Horizon to Automata is a bit of a bummer.

The Utahime Five manga drew the Sun as Emil. Maybe that's why it's so bright all the time. Just his raw cheerful optimism blanketing the world.

Koozek

I need this to be true.

QJOefAz.png

Gotta read up on Emil. Don't quite remember from the recap videos I watched of the first NieR. The first time I saw the aliens in that spaceship thingy I thougth they looked like Emil, or am I wrong?

EDIT: Okay, looking again, they're not that similar.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gbbQFLL.png[/IMG]

EdmondD

Maybe he needed the money?

This conversation just reminds me how poignant it is to rob, beat, and murder one of the most selfless, tragic, and beloved characters in the Taroverse while breaking him emotionally in the process for, like, some shitty clothing accessories, a weapon, and some text. And all of this is completely out of character for the protagonists. It's just pure, vile villainy on the part of the player because it's a videogame and you gotta kill and get all the things.

It's such a perfectly Taro design.

Jeffrey

Amnesia does that to you :p

There *is* a lore explanation for the lack of night time (which could very well be just an excuse).
Oh it was explained in game? What was the reason? I don't actually mind the lack of day night cycle.

Allowed some cool scenes like when it transition to dark around the amusement park

Don't forget the Emil we talk to is just one of his many clones left over. The whole fact that he has amnesia is due to spreading himself so thin. Though Emil making multiple Emils is more like splitting one person into 2 bodies instead of making 2 Emils, so him being a copy isn't really accurate. I don't think.

JackelZXA

It's a clone. The original Emil doesn't appear in this game at all.
i get the impression that we're supposed to realise that emil gave himself up and there is no true original anymore and the one in the car is the only one that didnt get corrupt, and i feel like yoko taro would be keen to go with "your hope was false"

Bowlie

Banned
Oh it was explained in game? What was the reason? I don't actually mind the lack of day night cycle.

Allowed some cool scenes like when it transition to dark around the amusement park

It is something brought over from the first Nier, actually.

Something happened to planet that stopped its rotation; a part of it is constantly illuminated, while the other is constantly in the dark.

This is briefly mentioned again in Automata, I think 9S says that to you but I might be wrong about that.

Is there a place where I can read a sort of recollection of all the plot? Even the hidden hints. Like I don't know anything about adam and eve, and probably all these informations are in this thread but I can't read 72 pages

JackelZXA

Something happened to planet that stopped its rotation; a part of it is constantly illuminated, while the other is constantly in the dark.

This is briefly mentioned again in Automata, I think 9S says that to you but I might be wrong about that.
He mentions it during the quest for the quest with the...npc who was a boss out in the city. Forget his name atm

It's the same world as Nier 1, which didn't have nights in the story, though there the story reasons might as well have been a budgetary excuse.

Jeffrey

Hmmm don't remember that from nier 1 lol. But that game was always day time too I think?

chrono01

I can never find the bunch of giant Emil heads in the desert any more :(
It's a little to the NE of the NPC that gives you the artifact quest (hated that quest, found all of the items without a guide, lots of wandering everywhere).

The first time I saw those Emil heads, I won't lie. It terrified me, more specifically the GIANT one.

Roubjon

It's a little to the NE of the NPC that gives you the artifact quest (hated that quest, found all of the items without a guide, lots of wandering everywhere).

The first time I saw those Emil heads, I won't lie. It terrified me, more specifically the GIANT one.

I got chills. It's honestly freaky.

chrono01

I got chills. It's honestly freaky.
Yeah, it's really unnerving.

Its good to note that they are actually buried in the sand during certain chapters and are only revealed a bit later, when the sands have shifted a bit.
That explains it.

I usually venture through each area completely before I move on, which is why I never saw the Emil heads earlier in my play-through. It made the whole thing even more uncomfortable, since I didn't expect it at all (it was during the artifact quest as A2 when I first saw them). I was wandering around and was like "Huh? I don't remember mountains being her- HOLY SHIT!".

This conversation just reminds me how poignant it is to rob, beat, and murder one of the most selfless, tragic, and beloved characters in the Taroverse while breaking him emotionally in the process for, like, some shitty clothing accessories, a weapon, and some text. And all of this is completely out of character for the protagonists. It's just pure, vile villainy on the part of the player because it's a videogame and you gotta kill and get all the things.

It's such a perfectly Taro design.

This feels like the lone remnant of Drakengard 1 style "fuck you, fuck this, fuck the player, fuck video games" angry design in the game. The fact that the full weapon story for the heads reveals that the war continues and 2B returns "with a complicated look on her face" to meet another Emil head is an indictment of the player for betraying him (it could also be a typo in the date, but as it stands, the log date is later than the "present" in the game).

It's also completely at odds with ending E, so I think it really is just there as a middle finger to people who would steal from Emil just for completion's sake, much like how the "reward" for completing various tasks in Drakengard was more punishment for being a horrible human being. It feels very Undertale genocide route.

robotrock

Banned
one thing I've been thinking about. during 9S's trip in the tower in the end of route C there, I think he learns that the black boxes are made out of machine cores.

how significant is this? is he realizing that he is similar to the same machines he's called incapable of emotion, or something?

This feels like the lone remnant of Drakengard 1 style "fuck you, fuck this, fuck the player, fuck video games" angry design in the game. The fact that the full weapon story for the heads reveals that the war continues and 2B returns "with a complicated look on her face" to meet another Emil head is an indictment of the player for betraying him (it could also be a typo in the date, but as it stands, the log date is later than the "present" in the game).

It's also completely at odds with ending E, so I think it really is just there as a middle finger to people who would steal from Emil just for completion's sake, much like how the "reward" for completing various tasks in Drakengard was more punishment for being a horrible human being. It feels very Undertale genocide route.
Exactly. And unlike D1, Emil is probably the absolute least deserving. Some people will probably write it off as edgy tryhard bullshit, but I think it's beautifully transgressive.

I really need to go back and finish Undertale. I got to the secret village of strange talking moe girls before moving on for one reason or another.

sonicmj1

It's interesting to think that the trigger for the Emil's Determination quest isn't when you bust into his home, beat him up, and take his stuff. It's when you finish upgrading all your weapons. At that point, Emil feels useless because there's nothing left for him to sell you from his shop that you'd actually need.

He just wanted to be helpful...

Looking things up, it seems like the Anemone logs are a retelling of the YoRHa stage play. You can see the same cycles of meaningless war and death in it.

Top Bottom