• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

Skilletor

krzyspc said:
That would be true, but you would be crazy to get a game that is fundamentally flawed, and not an evolution when the creator said so, what a lying pos.

What about the people that don't care about what Itagaki says, loved the first, and are looking for more of that but better?

soldat7

DC R1D3R said:
Just do us all a favour son.

I'm lost. What favor would that be?

Jtyettis said:
Any comparison between this and Haze is automatically minus 3 some could argue 4.

I quoted the Haze score to show how strange Gamesradar actually is. To equate these two games is ludicrous in my opinion.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
krzyspc said:
That would be true, but you would be crazy to get a game that is fundamentally flawed, and not an evolution when the creator said so, what a lying pos.

The reviews haven't said that though, and I'm not so sure how many of them actually finished the game completely yet either...

On paper it sounds drastically different while still keeping it essentially what made people think it was the pinnacle of action gaming - which is the evolution any true fan would want - the final judgment for me is playing it for myself...

thrasher said:
Some please confirm the framerate issues have been fixed in the retail build.

Sorry if this has been asked earlier.

The game went gold on the 23rd, and it isn't due in stores for a week...

DC R1D3R

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
You've inspired me to update the Fitness Thread OP.

Look for 2.0 soon.

Will do :]

soldat7 said:
I'm lost. What favor would that be?
wi92ec.png
Don't make me go M.O.D!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just watching Gamersyde's "first ten minutes" videos. The framerate seems locked down decently enough in combat. Several moments in the first level had Ryu taking on a massive number of grunts, far moreso than I ever recall NG1 ever having on screen at one time.

Also the action moves sooooo fast it was hard to follow what was going on at times in that video. Looks as brutal as expected though.

slade

karasu said:
?? I did not mention that game. I can't even remember the last time I cared to compare the two.

Don't worry, Mamesj likes to play the martyr bit for the Ninja Gaiden fans entirely too much.

Anyway, day one for the game regardless of how I felt about the prior one. I love these types of action games and I would rather support this then MGS4.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yes, in addition to extending the life bar, Lives of the Thousand Gods now refills your health completely when you use it. I save it for bosses.

MattKeil said:
Yes, in addition to extending the life bar, Lives of the Thousand Gods now refills your health completely when you use it. I save it for bosses.
Man, that design choice in the original game really embodied Itagaki's "fuck you" philosphy for me.

duckroll said:
Reading a review of a big sequel to a popular game series is about as worthwhile as reading reviews of Michael Bay movies, Star Wars prequels and the new Indy. It's hardly going to change many (any?) minds, and in the end people will experience for themselves and decide if they enjoyed the experience.

Spiderman3 agrees.

Vaxadrin said:

Yeah between this, Alan Wake, the fact I haven't played Mass Effect, I'd say that's enough justification to get one at this point. I saw some Elites at Wal-Mart last night and it reminded me about NG2. Plus I just got hired yesterday for decent pay so it shouldn't be hard. I won't have enough money in time for the game but it should be soon.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
brandonh83 said:
Yeah between this, Alan Wake, the fact I haven't played Mass Effect, I'd say that's enough justification to get one at this point. I saw some Elites at Wal-Mart last night and it reminded me about NG2. Plus I just got hired yesterday for decent pay so it shouldn't be hard. I won't have enough money in time for the game but it should be soon.

Also, MGS4 360 holiday 2008 Believe!

This thread is bottled laughter.

Looking forward to this game. I'm a mark for action games that make no sense and just want everything killed.

soldat7

krzyspc said:

How is NG2 fundamentally flawed?

soldat7 said:
How is NG2 fundamentally flawed?

Better not to go down this route. Krzyspc did nothing but shit on BK3 when it was revealed and now he's got his sights set on NG2.

Best to ignore him and move on rather than shit up a great thread.

Brandon F said:
Also, MGS4 360 holiday 2008 Believe!
Won't happen, and I don't want it to happen. The PS3 should keep their exclusives. Also, it isn't necessary on the 360, plenty of other good (exclusive) games.

Mamesj

Banned
I am re-buying a 360 for this. It's a shame there's no mission mode...yet. It's also a shame we'll have to pay for DLC, despite that the hurricane packs, which overwrote the whole game and added a whole new section (i.e. better than any DLC ever), were free.

btw, can someone please turn this into usable box art???
w9wtw7.jpg

:D you all know you want it.

Beezy said:
Nope. They meant nothing for God Hand either.

They don't mean anything for games that are awesome.

raYne

Variable said:
If reviews don't matter, how are you supposed to judge if a game is worth looking at? I thought the whole point of reviews was to give you an idea of how a game is?
Been said already, but reviews never mattered. Well, review scores particularly. Only the text actually matters, but no one seems to pay attention to those.

The review scores themselves also lose all credibility when the supposed downside that warrants docking points from the game in question is "it's too hard" or "the sequel isn't a big enough change from the original".

Leave the game for the real fans of the series. Complainers Ninja Dogs need not apply.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Great work on the OP

I don't remember if I pre-ordered this or not. Time to make sure I did.

soldat7

Variable said:
If reviews don't matter, how are you supposed to judge if a game is worth looking at? I thought the whole point of reviews was to give you an idea of how a game is?

While it might be a bummer and a deterrent when a game you've been looking forward to gets poor reviews you should never rely on those opinions alone. Crackdown is probably the best example of this (lots of 8/10 and lower reviews) and others would cite God Hand (have yet to play that myself).

There have been plenty of games (and movies for that matter) that have been universally lauded yet stunk once I got my hands on them.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
soldat7 said:
While it might be a bummer and a deterrent when a game you've been looking forward to gets poor reviews you should never rely on those opinions alone. Crackdown is probably the best example of this (lots of 8/10 and lower reviews) and others would cite God Hand (have yet to play that myself).

There have been plenty of games (and movies for that matter) that have been universally lauded yet stunk once I got my hands on them.

I remember gamespot, a place i trusted back in these days, gave Tales of Destiny a 4.something when it came out. I bought it anyway and loved it to death.

PhatSaqs

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I remember gamespot, a place i trusted back in these days, gave Tales of Destiny a 4.something when it came out. I bought it anyway and loved it to death.
I remember when Gaming-Age gave Ninja Gaiden a.... oh nevermind.

Not to derail my own thread with dumb reviews, but:
Gamesradar said:
The saving grace here is the fanbase. If you’re in this group, there’s no reason why you won’t love Ninja Gaiden 2, despite its faults. You don’t care about next-gen graphics, level design and fairness, right? You like having Tomonobu Itagaki stamp on your ego, rob your of sanity and piss down your throat.
This is an actual paragraph from their review. Why even say this?

I might actually have a review section if we get more choice quotes like these.

raYne

DancingJesus said:
I haven't read any recent 1up reviews, so I'm not totally sure... but did they aways have this disclaimer?

The 1UP Network features reviews from our panel of experts, including our editors at Electronic Gaming Monthly. We rate games on a scale of A+ through F. Anything we score in the A+ through A- range is considered excellent, B+ through B- is good, C+ through C- is average, D+ through D- is bad, and F is terrible. Here are our Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox 360 reviews from editors and members.
I thought it was hilarious considering the score. :lol

a Master Ninja said:
Not to derail my own thread with dumb reviews, but:

This is an actual paragraph from their review. Why even say this?

I might actually have a review section if we get more choice quotes like these.
Gotta fill the word/line quota somehow. It's either that or be like GAF and complain about Itagaki's face/interviews. "lolololol" etc.

jet1911

From the 1UP review :

One in particular -- a giant armadillo made of lava, let's say -- surprises you by exploding seconds after death. If you don't know it's coming (and how would you on the first time through?), you'll most likely be starting the fight all over again.

Damn. :lol

Mamesj

Banned
when werewolves start throwing the torsos of other slain werewolves at you,

This is the greatest thing ever. (even if in context it's trying to show how stupid the enemies are, haha.)

Gotta love how much anger at the difficulty level is surfacing in these reviews. :lol

Not sure what to really make of it yet. I am a bit disappointed though. The thing I don't understand is why previous Ninja Gaiden entries were completely excused from camera issues and in this iteration it is so detrimental to the fundamental game experience. From what I've seen it's nearly identical to Sigma's camera and that received an A.

I don't mean to harp on the reviewer but this comment, "For those purposes, it excels; for less devoted action-adventure fans, it's more of a violent curiosity than something to get invested in.” makes it seem he shouldn't be reviewing this title if he isn't an action game fan. It's like saying the basis of the gameplay is great but if you don't like action games you won't like this; well no shit Sherlock. I myself don't like sports games but my opinion shouldn't criticize a game that's proficient in the genre just because I don't like that style of game.

Top Bottom