• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Disguises

jump_button said:
no big events for midnight?
Yep, Sky are actually broadcasting the "Nintendo 3DS Ignition" event in 3D http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43652/Sky-to-broadcast-3DS-launch (From Go Nintendo).
Wish there was a stream somewhere :S.

Other than that, there's lots of shops on Oxford street opening at midnight, with HMV being the main one I think? Looking forward to seeing some photos, actually :).

On top of that, there's over 1200 stores in the UK opening at Midnight with 13 'VIP' events across the country. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/32404.html

Disguises said:
Yep, Sky are actually broadcasting the "Nintendo 3DS Ignition" event in 3D http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43652/Sky-to-broadcast-3DS-launch (From Go Nintendo).
Wish there was a stream somewhere :S.

Other than that, there's lots of shops on Oxford street opening at midnight, with HMV being the main one I think? Looking forward to seeing some photos, actually :).

On top of that, there's over 1200 stores in the UK opening at Midnight with 13 'VIP' events across the country. http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/32404.html

thanx just been looking for tweets fond some pics

30rshso.jpg

fc66w4.jpg

Got mine today.

Cosmic Black
Carrying Bag
Screen protectors
SSF4

for 279 €

got Nintendogs as well so in total

329€

This might be the first time I've spent more time playing around with the system and the preinstalled software than the actual games I bought.
Face Raiders crippled productivity in the office today.

I must say, it's quite a nice device, and after 4 hours of playing it in 3D on full I feel no headache or anything, allthough my eyes are extremely tired and I stopped when I couldn't refocus on the image anymore.

Despite being quite a critic about 3D, it does look nice and the games definetly lose something when it's switched off. (no not just the jagged edges lol)

TtGcp.jpg

CoolS

Donnie said:
Was it ever confirmed whether or not there's going to be a 3DS demo channel?

It wasn't yet, but I think its highly likely and sone screens of the shop seem to indicate demos.

GC|Simon

Amazon.de shipped my 3DS with Hermes... I heard that Hermes needs a lot of time for delivery... hope this isn't true...

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
My brother received his today from Zavvi, and will get his game (star wars lego) tomorrow. :D Although, my mate ordered his from amazon, and looks as though he might not get his console by tomorrow :/

Merovin

Would be great for some impressions on Lego Star Wars if anyone gets it, for now, an early night is in order to make tomorrow come faster!

dock

Getting mine in about 80 mins, still haven't settled on a third game.
Getting binge dogs (Fu auto correct iPad!), pilot wings... and something. Monkey ball maybe, seems too easy for an experienced monkey. Don't want SF4 though, I prefer it on console.

Any last minute recommendations?

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
Merovin said:
Would be great for some impressions on Lego Star Wars if anyone gets it, for now, an early night is in order to make tomorrow come faster!

I've played the demo of it, and it seemed pretty much like most Lego games. I'll let you know what the full game is like once it arrives.

Merovin

Bubs Mugumbo said:
I've played the demo of it, and it seemed pretty much like most Lego games. I'll let you know what the full game is like once it arrives.

Cheers, would greatly appreciate it. Enjoyed the previous Lego Star Wars games, just want to know how the 3DS version holds up to the console ones for when I jump in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
dc89 said:
Just registered it on Club Nintendo and it said 'Congratulations on registering for your Free 3DS T-shirt' or something to that effect.
Great... if TNT had delivered when they said they would have I could have gotten the t-shirt.

trunbuns

Sooooo...

Pre-ordered my 3DS through amazon.co.uk on 20th January expedited delivery. got to about 8 pm tonight with my order still showing as 'Not yet dispatched - estimated delivery 25th March 2011' despite my separate order for Pilotwings having been dispatched first class today to arrive tomorrow. Rang Amazon to be advised that the order had been delayed and that the 3DS will now be arriving Saturday but that they would be refunding my shipping costs. As I ordered this over 2 months ago and paid to have it on launch date this wasn't good enough. Left the order as it was (just in case i had problems getting it at a similar price) and rang my local Tesco - going on sale at midnight for £175. Went down at about 9pm and paid a £25 deposit. They actually said that they had loads and only about 10 pre orders. Cancelled my Amazon order and am now only 2 hours from holding a 3DS within my sweaty grasp.

TL;DR - if your order is still showing as not yet dispatched then it looks like you won't be seeing it tomorrow. Get yourself to Tesco, you can't argue with £175.

I'm gutted about Amazon as they are my shop of choice for this sort of thing, but it has all worked out remarkably well.

ksimm

I am so annoyed right now, bloody Amazon.

They emailed me a few mins ago -

We know that many of our customers are anxious to have their items delivered to them on the day of release day.

I have checked your order XXXXXXXXXXX and we are still waiting for the following item to be delivered to us by our supplier"Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console (Black)",
as this item was item is scheduled to be released on March 25, 2011.

I apologise for any delay in dispatching your order. As soon as we received this item from our supplier, it will be dispatched immediately.

Despite this slight delay, your order should still arrive by the release date listed in Your Account: March 25, 2011.

Ordered on the 19th of January, and people who ordered as late as yesterday have been receiving theirs? Amazon sure have a crappy way of dealing with preorders. :mad:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
trunbuns said:
rang my local Tesco - going on sale at midnight for £175. Went down at about 9pm and paid a £25 deposit. They actually said that they had loads and only about 10 pre orders. Cancelled my Amazon order and am now only 2 hours from holding a 3DS within my sweaty grasp.

TL;DR - if your order is still showing as not yet dispatched then it looks like you won't be seeing it tomorrow. Get yourself to Tesco, you can't argue with £175.
What? Now I feel ripped off... :| Suppose on the bright side, a game sets you back £30+ so the end result of a 3DS + one game will be similar to the Tesco Entertainment price.

trunbuns

BGBW said:
What? Now I feel ripped off... :| Suppose on the bright side, a game sets you back £30+ so the end result of a 3DS + one game will be similar to the Tesco Entertainment price.

Yeah that price is dependant on me picking up a game as well.

My order with shipping came to about £195 on amazon with no game so if it comes to about £210 with the game from Tesco I'm happy because that means I'm essentially getting a game for £15. I've already ordered Pilotwings seperately, but I'm torn between RR3D and SSFIV3D to get tonight. I already own SSFIV on 360 with stick so I don't know if I should shell out for the game for what will be the 3rd time. I'll probably play it more on 3DS though. I've heard that RR is a good showcase for the 3d effect so I'm kind of stumped on what to get.

Any suggestions GAF?

Aru

Mine has been shipped by Amazon France and should arrive March 29th. I didn't use standard shipping, but maybe I should have... Now I won't be able to take the package before next Friday :/

syoaran

wow - well I've already had excellent service from the guys at HMV oxford circuis and its not even launch.

- Forgot my recipt - not a problem, staff regonised me and said it was fine.
- Dsi tested on the street, no problem.
- Didn't want to queue up because my office next door has a confy couch, also not a problem, they gave me my pre-order goodies and "free 3DS game" wrist band even before I asked.

Now going to sit here, wait for all the press to go away - walk in and collect my goodies ~ Very much unlike GAME's midnight launch, the guys there seemed to be on the ball and having a good time.

Omikaru

I'm thinking I may wander into Tesco tomorrow and pick up a game, provided they aren't too expensive (I'm hoping Tesco will price competitively).

Any suggestions? The three I'm kind of leaning towards are:

- Super Street Fighter IV 3D, but I've already bought this game a lot and enjoy it on PS3. Do I want it again?
- Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars looks like a safe bet, but will it be a good "ambassador" for the device's 3D? Everyone I know will want to see how the 3D looks, and I don't want to disappoint them.
- Pilotwings Resort is my third option, but I'm worried that it's a bit short and lacking substance. I've not played Wii Sports Resort, so I'm unfamiliar with the locale, but will I be getting £30's worth of game?

Any suggestions? Perhaps I should consider another game? Or just wait for the eShop and Ocarina of Time?

GC|Simon said:
Amazon.de shipped my 3DS with Hermes... I heard that Hermes needs a lot of time for delivery... hope this isn't true...
It is (at least for me), they usually deliver at around 18 to my place. If you have a Packstation near your place use that one as the delivery address, it forces Amazon to use DHL. They are even using Hermes for Prime members like me otherwise - really screwed up.

Celine

Aru said:
Mine has been shipped by Amazon France and should arrive March 29th. I didn't use standard shipping, but maybe I should have... Now I won't be able to take the package before next Friday :/
Same here although the expected delivery day is March 28th.
Amazon.uk shipped my SSF4 copy too.

syoaran

Omikaru said:
I'm thinking I may wander into Tesco tomorrow and pick up a game, provided they aren't too expensive (I'm hoping Tesco will price competitively).

Any suggestions? The three I'm kind of leaning towards are:

- Super Street Fighter IV 3D, but I've already bought this game a lot and enjoy it on PS3. Do I want it again?
- Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars looks like a safe bet, but will it be a good "ambassador" for the device's 3D? Everyone I know will want to see how the 3D looks, and I don't want to disappoint them.
- Pilotwings Resort is my third option, but I'm worried that it's a bit short and lacking substance. I've not played Wii Sports Resort, so I'm unfamiliar with the locale, but will I be getting £30's worth of game?

Any suggestions? Perhaps I should consider another game? Or just wait for the eShop and Ocarina of Time?

Out of those, Pilotwings seems to be the safe bet. Its a good visual showcase of launch-gen 3D from the sounds of it, with a very easy main-game, but a very difficult end-game when it comes to the replays (3 stars or something).

dc89 said:
7bc0a76e.jpg

Just registered it on Club Nintendo and it said 'Congratulations on registering for your Free 3DS T-shirt' or something to that effect.

It's on charge now Gaf. I am ready!

What the fuck, I registered yesterday and no t-shirt!

FrancisH

Aww I didn't get a shirt (At least, I don't think so...)

My 3DS got delivered at around 2pm today (UK) by TNT. I ordered from Shopto, there are cheaper places but Shopto has served me well for launch day items and just in general so I stuck with them. Came home from Uni to a nice Aqua 3DS and Pilotwings!

I must say I was more impressed by the AR and 3D then I thought I was going to be, love it. Just need more games! :D

Have fun with your 3DS' GAF!

Whoo!

My 3DS left Milton Keynes in the hands of CityLink at 7.30pm tonight and is on its way to me with an estimated delivery date of 25 March.

Now to see which gets here first - games or system...

syoaran

Using Yoshi Ono's twitter feed to see how long the queues are down the rode - priceless use of modern technology.

Nice to see them make an event out of it, but I don't think the queues matched WoW, or SCII levels of insanity.

Britprog

Jut got back for the London 3DS launch party near London bridge.

Here are some pics

IMG_0801Large.jpg

IMG_0803Large.jpg

IMG_0813Large.jpg

IMG_0817Large.jpg

IMG_0804Large.jpg

IMG_0799Large.jpg

IMG_0798Large.jpg

IMG_0795Large.jpg

The last pic is of some rubbish girl band called the parade or something, the other acts DJ yoda and Plan B where better.

Overall the event was ok, but disappointed with the lack of variety of games, they had too many copies of pilotwings and none of Zelda. It seemed they only wanted to show game that where at launch.

Went down to my local GAME cos a friend was going. Had some free sweets, hung around for a bit, but ended up returning with...

kPCcEl.jpg

No 3DS, but the girlfriend bought a Sackboy. Just because.

dtrack

Well that was underwhelming.

Got my 3DS from Tesco in Silverburn, Glasgow but there was no queue or sign of anyone waiting for a 3DS. Hell, they didn't even have the 3DS's readily available, they were packed up in the store room :lol

Drove by GameStation on Union Street, I could of sworn they were having a midnight launch but they were shut when I went to check it out... Around 12.40am

PS: The 3DS is awsome!

Majine

Banned
How did you manage to post 3DS camera shots on gaf? Is there some functionality in the 3DS or did you just transfered it through the SD card?

syoaran

Crappy iphone photo for the moment - but todays swag:

kyrhh.jpg

Turned out to be a massive saving for me to get it from HMV.

Ridge Racer was free, Pilotwings was £25 in the bundle. £80 for the DSi trade in. Managed to get them to sell me Crysis 2 tonight, which cost nothing with the free voucher and points I earned.

Amazon prime + discount = £45 for the DS games

= £205 for the whole lot. Not too bad at all!

trunbuns said:
Sooooo...

Pre-ordered my 3DS through amazon.co.uk on 20th January expedited delivery. got to about 8 pm tonight with my order still showing as 'Not yet dispatched - estimated delivery 25th March 2011' despite my separate order for Pilotwings having been dispatched first class today to arrive tomorrow. Rang Amazon to be advised that the order had been delayed and that the 3DS will now be arriving Saturday but that they would be refunding my shipping costs. As I ordered this over 2 months ago and paid to have it on launch date this wasn't good enough. Left the order as it was (just in case i had problems getting it at a similar price) and rang my local Tesco - going on sale at midnight for £175. Went down at about 9pm and paid a £25 deposit. They actually said that they had loads and only about 10 pre orders. Cancelled my Amazon order and am now only 2 hours from holding a 3DS within my sweaty grasp.

I'm gutted about Amazon as they are my shop of choice for this sort of thing, but it has all worked out remarkably well.

That's exactly what I did. My original plan was to take advantage of Amazon's bundle where you get a game for £15 when you buy it with the 3DS. I chose Rayman, and decided that would be my only game, as the next game that interested me was Pilotwings, and it doesn't strike me as being worth full-price.

But after I saw Tesco's offer, I cancelled my 3DS from Amazon, and noticed that it looks like I'm still being sent Rayman for just £15 (i've been charged, and it's dispatched), so I ended up getting the 3DS and Pilotwings from Tesco. I'm really not pleased with paying £35 for Pilotwings, but if I do finish it quickly, I'll see if I can return it for Super Street Fighter IV. And all things considered, £225 for a 3DS, Pilotwings, and Rayman is a good deal.

To think there are countless people who queued up outside GAME/Gamestation for the privelege of paying £219.99 for the 3DS alone...

dc89

Happy launch day Euro Gaf!

I have to go to work today whilst my 3DS stays at home :(

The good thing is I will be returning with some games!

I'm struggling with the 3D.

I do love the system, nearly everything about it, however I'm really struggling to piece together the 3D image.

Yes, I've only been playing it since yesterday morning, but on some titles I cannot even put together an image at 10% of the strength. With Pilotwings I can go no higher. Apparently Street Fighter is an easy game to play at 100%, however I can manage about 20%.

Would just like to know if this is something that will improve in time? Will I be able to eventually increases it to 50> ?

I'd appreciate if someone with a similar experience could back that point up.

Midas

My order is now ready for pick up! Both black and blue 3DS. Not sure which one I should get yet. Hopefully I can see them live in the store. :D

Fritz

Got to play it at the Echo aftershow party yesterday. 3D is amazing. Played Street Fighter and loved it. I have a dentist appointment now (the annual check up) and will get it afterwards from my gamestop + SF. YEAY!

3DS Dispatching Soon on Amazon still say Delivery Estimate: 25 Mar I think they is one not to far so i hope i get it some point in the day

Top Bottom