• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
dc89 said:
Happy launch day Euro Gaf!

I have to go to work today whilst my 3DS stays at home :(

The good thing is I will be returning with some games!
I have work today while my 3DS is being delivered so I may miss it yet again and may have to wait till Monday for it. :(

Usually I could take the day off since I'm only a volunteer, but I promised to come into day to help with server upgrades (and they are paying me for it).

That London event looks exactly what I predicted it to be. No regret about not applying.

Rekubot

An Owl With Knees said:
I'm struggling with the 3D.

I do love the system, nearly everything about it, however I'm really struggling to piece together the 3D image.

Yes, I've only been playing it since yesterday morning, but on some titles I cannot even put together an image at 10% of the strength. With Pilotwings I can go no higher. Apparently Street Fighter is an easy game to play at 100%, however I can manage about 20%.

Would just like to know if this is something that will improve in time? Will I be able to eventually increases it to 50> ?

I'd appreciate if someone with a similar experience could back that point up.
Don't feel like you need to play with the slider all the way up. I'm playing Monkey Ball at ~40% and it works just fine without giving me headaches or dizziness. Playing at 100% will not improve the 3D effect so much that it's worth suffering for it.

I don't know if you'll be able to handle stronger depth over time but you will be able to play for longer without experiencing side effects.

nli10

Amazon should come through - I've had stuff delivered before the dispatch notification when it's a big launch.

It's 8:48am here and it's rare to see couriers before 10 as it's more expensive due to business post.

jump_button said:
3DS Dispatching Soon on Amazon still say Delivery Estimate: 25 Mar I think they is one not to far so i hope i get it some point in the day

In the same boat, they've refunded the 3DS part of the expedited delivery so I'm guessing no, not my fave launch experience like I'd hoped :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
picked mine up from HMV. They'd opened at 8am, an hour earlier than usual. There was nobody queuing up so I just went for breakfast then strolled in.

Picked up the 3DS, Ghost Recon for £10 (preorder bundle offer only), and Pilotwings. Total price was about £160 after trading in a DSi and using their £20 gift card. Not too bad.

I have Nintendogs and Ridge Racer coming via amazon in separate packages. So I hope that means the post office can cram them through my letter box while I'm at work. Although they are 'expedited', I don't know if that means they'll need a signature?

Omikaru

Code:
25 Mar 2011 	08:54:27 AM 	Llanelli Van UK 	Out for delivery
I'm surprised it is being sent from Llanelli. That's further away than Cardiff or Swansea. I guess I'm gonna be waiting all day for this...

Set up my MacBook in the kitchen, so I won't miss this delivery. Hope it comes soon-ish, so I can wander off to Tesco and pick up a game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
3DS is 'dispatching soon' now.

If they send it with an appropriate UPS option I could get it tomorrow. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow... :(

Games are here in Dublin and out for delivery. Hopefully they won't have to wait until Monday.

beje

Banned
I got the dispatch mail from Amazon at midnight. The packets happen to be in Madrid since last evening so I could be getting it during today. And all that through MRW using the free delivery.

Zutroy

Other than all the pre-orders being received, my store only got one in for general sale! Looks like it could be tough finding them.

pringles

I wasn't gonna buy one..not at launch...

..but I'm weak. Just got back from my local electronics store with a Blue 3DS. Atleast living in a small town has some advantages, I didn't have to stand in line or rush, just walked in and grabbed one. They had a box full of them.

Didn't get any games though, thought I'd wait until I know for sure the only game I'm really interested in, Rayman 2, is good.

Picked mine up at Saturn (midnight launch), they had the machine with no game for 222 € so I sprung for that. Launch software will inevitably drop in price (apart from Nintendo stuff) so I'll wait and plough through my DS backlog.

The quality of the machine is very nice, has a solid feel to it. Bought the cosmos black and am pretty satisfied, didn't like the turquoise sheen of aqua blue that much. It actually has a sort of gradient running from black to dark grey, looks nice! Buttons, dpad and slide pad all feel very good, but I only played around for a bit. Touchscreen is awesome coming from a DS phat, very responsive, been using my thumbs exclusively and had no problem using even the small software keyboard (I have quite big hands too). Screens are great quality too.

Setting up wifi is painless and I'm glad it accepts modern security settings now. DLed the update and the 3D film is quite amazing I must say (although sometimes coming with high compression artefacts). Can't wait to see more 3D movies on that thing. Mii maker worked surprisingly well (refinement needed of course) and face raiders is hilarious. AR stuff is really neat too. I didn't have too much problems loosing the 3D but fast and sudden movement makes the objects look janky. Been running the brightness on max with no power save and wifi on for around 2 hours this night (AR, Mii maker, photos etc.) and there was still plenty left on the initial charge - take it for what you will.

Oh and no headaches, nausea etc. after two hours of doing stuff at almost max 3D - although it has to be said that I am one of these people who can watch even a very long 3D movie without any problems.

trunbuns

Happy 3DS day GAF!!!!

Got mine at midnight last night from Tesco - came to £209 with Ridge Racer. Although the graphics on RR aren't mind blowing the 3D is really good. Loved just playing about in the menus on the 3DS it is all very cool. I could see the 3D effect instantly and played for around 3 hours with the slider set to max last night with no eye strain. I was also surprised at how easily I could switch between the 2 screens. I will say that the outer camera resolution could be better but that's a minor gripe.

When I went to Tesco there was only 3 of us there (not looking into each other's eyes for geek shame lol) and it was just a small display at the front of the store. None of the tills were open so had to self scan it and get someone to go get the system from the back. The other 2 people were getting Pilotwings (mine should arrive from amazon today) so hopefully it will sell well.

All in all I love the system. Gonna take it into work today to blow a few minds. So glad Amazon didn't dispatch last night or I'd have been going to work without a 3DS

Just a reminder - Mine was showing as not yet dispatched last night at 8 PM and amazon customer service advised that it would not be arriving till Saturday. The Tesco I went to had loads of systems and barely anyone had preordered, so if you still can it may be worth cancelling your order and picking one up for £175 (bear in mind that you need to get a game with it to get that price so you will pay £209ish in total)

Rekubot

Has anybody tried playing Animal Crossing: Wild World on their 3DS? My DS Lite reads it fine but the 3DS won't detect the cartridge. I did buy it second hand though so it could just be a result of it being old.

Beat Super Monkey Ball 15 minutes ago. Those 70 levels sure pass by quickly. :p Now got to go back and beat each world without using continues. You get separate medals for using motion controls and the circle pad and there are collectables along the way, so plenty of reason to go through them again.

Difficulty is relatively mild in comparison to the original Super Monkey Ball, but any trickier and it would be impossible to do with motion controls, so it's understandable. There are some difficult sections spread throughout, but there's no risk of losing progress as you have unlimited continues (although you won't get medals if you use one).

The motion controls themselves work well, more accurate than using a Wii remote, but you need to tilt the 3DS quite far down to get any sort of speed going.

Overall though it's good fun. At a cheaper price I'd certainly recommend picking it up. Those cardboard cut-out cutscenes that play before each world look fantastic and make me super hyped for Paper Mario.

Matll

Just picked up mine from a local Gamestop. I also bought Rayman 3D and Pilotwings Resort. I just have to go to school for a lab exercise so I can't use it yet but I put it to charge so it's ready to go when I come back!

beje

Banned
Rekubot said:
Has anybody tried playing Animal Crossing: Wild World on their 3DS? My DS Lite reads it fine but the 3DS won't detect the cartridge. I did buy it second hand though so it could just be a result of it being old.

Some people in other forums are reporting that cleaning the contacts on the card with alcohol (or some other electronics cleaning product) solves this problem.

tassletine

To everyone nervous about Amazon. If you chose Expidited shipping you should get it today, as expidited ships the same day that it arrives.
You can even order it in the next couple of hours and you'll still get it today -- At least that's what I'm hoping.

If you went first class then you're relying on the royal mail which is always a risk, but hardly Amazon's fault.

nli10

tassletine said:
To everyone nervous about Amazon. If you chose Expidited shipping you should get it today, as expidited ships the same day that it arrives.
You can even order it in the next couple of hours and you'll still get it today -- At least that's what I'm hoping.

If you went first class then you're relying on the royal mail which is always a risk, but hardly Amazon's fault.

First class pre-orders were sent expedited too. Those ordering first class today will be sent first class tho.

nofi

Got mine at midnight from the local Tesco (which was empty).

Opted for the black after demoing the blue one, much prefer the black version.

As everyone's said, it's a beautiful machine, really happy with it, the IQ is amazing on some games and replaying Rayman in 3D is a joy so far.

Writing up impressions for the site later, but if you're on the fence: get one. =)

mclem

My Amazon order (with first-class postage) arrived just now. I made separate orders for the system and games, so right now I've only got the unit.

Merovin

Mine is out for delivery with HDNL, they always get to mine around 2 - 3ish, so now the waiting game...
continues!

I got my 3DS this morning. I've it on charging at the moment, but the 3D was really impressive when I was messing around with the menus and the camera. I got a few great pictures of my dog that look really nice thanks to the 3D.

Got Ghost Recon and Pilotwings, so I'm looking forward to trying those later.

kadotsu

Banned
3DS get! Nice hardware, OS looks clean and simple, if Nintendo comes trough with updates it could be a great handheld OS. The only thing that bothers me is that some menus can only be navigated via touch.

Anybody order from GAME.CO.UK in the uk and had theirs delivered or has any tracking info?

Mines is just showing as dispatched on 22/3/2011 but no cigar yet.

mclem

While I wait for it to charge, I'm filling out the survey for club Nintendo. I adore the fact that among reasons to purchase the system, they include the one that's basically true for me:

"I usually buy every video games system that is released "

Edit: Games here!

If you want to buy games standalone, GO TO MORRISONS. It's £30 for pretty much all of them. Pilotwings and SSFIV are stickered £35, but when I bought Pilotwings twas only £30.

CaVaYeRo

BY2K said:
Wha-what?

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone mentioning that, but it is true. I wonder how can they use it for gameplay... perhaps something like Another Code did when you closed the handheld ^^

Come on, you can discover it by yourself! :p

thy_

Did get my Aqua Blue from amazon.de 2h ago (shipping confirmation came yesterday at 20:46 CET thgether with the information that I will get the difference to the new price (€222) reimbursed a day after launch). The free game (Super Monkey Ball) which had shipped an hour earlier has not yet arrived. Both ordered with regular shipping.

Disguises

CaVaYeRo said:
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone mentioning that, but it is true. I wonder how can they use it for gameplay... perhaps something like Another Code did when you closed the handheld ^^

Come on, you can discover it by yourself! :p
Well this is news to me! I can't think of any situations where you would find this out though :S. One thing I did notice that hasn't been picked up on a lot though is that the screen brightness increases further when plugged in.

-KRS-

Two of my friends just picked up a 3DS each with SSF4 3D. They said that there were no lines whatsoever, or even any people at all and that they didn't even have the 3DSs out in the store. You had to ask for them. And this was in one of the bigger electronics stores in Sweden.

So perhaps the hype isn't so huge over here that they sell out immediately :p

Edit: Super Street Fighter 4 was 299 SEK. I thought it would be more expensive actually.

Edit2: Oh and these folks are hardcore Playstation fans that have never owned a Nintendo console before, let alone a handheld. But even they were fucking hyped yesterday.

Rekubot

CaVaYeRo said:
Of course you can! :p It'll blow your mind
If you're referring to the menu icons spinning when you insert/take out the stylus, isn't that just because doing it creates a loud noise?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
synt4x said:
So perhaps the hype isn't so huge over here that they sell out immediately :p

or most people preordered and so are in no rush to pick up, especially on a work/school day?

Mine arrived like 2 hours ago. Loving it so far, although I'm still playing around with the 3D level. Currently have it at like 50% which seems to work quite well.

CaVaYeRo

Rekubot said:
If you're referring to the menu icons spinning when you insert/take out the stylus, isn't that just because doing it creates a loud noise?

Hahaha it could be indeed! But you may think it's magic!

Fritz

So what can I say?

It's simply a really really neat console. Lots of thought has been put into this, or so it seems. Too bad Nintendo kept such a low profile with the start line up, but I bet they are giving Street Fighter a lot of space to shine.

My only gripe is with the design. The different shades of black, sharp knees etc. The Lite was prettier. but whatever, it's certainly not a fashion accessory.

To people undecided I'd say grab it now. Might be already too late though. My gamestop for example said they only got 20 consoles, and its the most central store in berlin.

Have a fun FRIDAY everybody! And I am really looking forward to the things to come with this. Hope 3rd parties don't drop the ball.

Peru

Having surprising amount of fun with the 3D camera. REALLY love the 3D effect there, actually, even if the camera is low resolution the effect really stands out when photographing regular surroundings.

-KRS-

mrklaw said:
or most people preordered and so are in no rush to pick up, especially on a work/school day?

well, sure. Though my friends were ON work when they bought the units. Granted, they work with installing heating pumps, so they were out anyway.

And besides, how many units could little sweden have gotten? I expected them to sell out really fast.

Bru

cowden_harley said:
Anybody order from GAME.CO.UK in the uk and had theirs delivered or has any tracking info?

Mines is just showing as dispatched on 22/3/2011 but no cigar yet.

My Game order arrived around 9.30 this morning (also dispatched 22/3/2011).

I wouldn't worry just yet, I've had hardware arrive mid afternoon before now.

Mafro

So has anyone else noticed that one of the leaflets in the box clarifies the DSiWare > 3DS transfer? There will be a transfer app that you need to download from the shop on your DSi, and that will transfer your games and saves over to the 3DS.

sinnergy

Gameshop called yesterday (I am from Holland) They didn't have anymore blacks :( So I needed to get the blue, which I didn't want.

Instead I went to the Mediamarkt and they had enough blacks, they had only sold 2 systems when I came in. I took 3, 2 blacks and 1 blue, 2 SF4's and 2 RR 3D's. I had a hard time explaining at the counter that they weren't all for me hahahaha (They thought I was one of those addicts.. I am but not that crazy)

Anyway me and my friends all cancelled our preorders at the shop, sucks for them!

I got black! I really like RR 3D.

pringles

So happy I bought the blue, it looks beautiful and is a nice change from the usual black or white devices.

Some pics:
5558462396_736345b03c.jpg

5558462060_55d518187d.jpg

5558461356_db414ee8a0.jpg

5557878005_bba6e8ec7f.jpg

couple more photos of it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roban/sets/72157626345987436/

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, this is spooky. I thought to do a size comparison I'd place my 3DS directly on top of my DSi... and now that I have, it's very faintly playing music. It stops the moment I lift it off. It stops if it's just misaligned a bit. It doesn't do it when I place it on any other surface, just on top of my DSi.

Is this already known? Is it to do with transferring profiles and stuff over? I'm a bit scared by it. o_o

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bru said:
My Game order arrived around 9.30 this morning (also dispatched 22/3/2011).

I wouldn't worry just yet, I've had hardware arrive mid afternoon before now.
I wish mine arrived in the morning rather than the afternoon again like yesterday. No one is home between 1-5pm and I doubt the courier will be in the area by the time I'm home.

Don't want to wait till Monday. :(

Top Bottom