• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

Maxirugi

Well my 3DS arrived today but minus Pilot Wings :(

Seems like most people picked up PW and SFIV. I'll pick up SF eventually, but I'm more interested in single player games so does anyone have any impressions of Samurai Warriors and PES?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Yeah, DS games don't look very good when played on the 3DS. Pokemon White is blurry and bleached colours. I haven't tried it at its native resolution yet though, but considering the size complaints I'm kind of scared to do so.

KingDizzi

Banned
My friend got one today and I got to have a go with it. Firstly she got the black one and it really is an ugly system, form factor alone is why I'm not getting the 3DS until it gets a revision. She got quite a few games and am quite happy to say the 3D was good for me, loved it and did not get a migraine with it. Problem is that she was not able to see the 3D at all, she struggled with it for half an hour before giving up. It's quite a step up from the DS in terms of graphics though and she loves Pilotwings so it's a keeper, just sad she can't see what distinguishes the 3DS from other handheld consoles. So overall impressions are really good but can't get over how ugly that thing is, will get it when a revision out but damn impressive handheld. :)

Yeah though, DS games on the 3DS are pretty horrible.

I'm afraid the answer is probably No: Is there a self-timer option for the 3D camera? i.e. Press a button and the picture is taken after a certain number of seconds?

Not sure if its just my 3ds but I feel the top screen wobble slightly,I don't think its really any looser than my ds lite but as the top screen is heavier it feels noticable while playing sf4.

Yay, after hassling them during the day (3 emails/replies back to them) I think I got a non-copy/paste email from Amazon

We do understand your concern regarding the status of your order for Nintendo 3DS Handheld Console (Aqua Blue).

We currently offer release date delivery only for UK Customers. However, for our International Customers we will work hard to deliver the items as soon as possible according to the deliver method they specify. Usually we dispatch the pre-orders, a day before the release date in order to deliver the parcels on the date promised at the time of placing the order. Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen delays your dispatch has been postponed.

I can understand that some of your friends are about to receive the console they ordered from our competitors. Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on this. Please be assured that I have now forwarded your message to the relevant department to review the service we provide.

I can see that the Estimated delivery date we have given at the placing the order was March 29, 2011. We have already contacted our fulfillment centre staffs regarding this issue and please be assured that your order will be dispatched as soon as possible and you will receive your order before the close of business on March 29, 2011.

Please contact us (by visiting the following link) if you do not receive your e-mail confirmation by March 26, 2011 and we will investigate:

If I don't have it by Tuesday I will fight them. My 3DS is still "dispatching soon" BTW :/

thomaser

Naked Snake said:
I'm afraid the answer is probably No: Is there a self-timer option for the 3D camera? i.e. Press a button and the picture is taken after a certain number of seconds?

Yes, there is.

moozoom

Naked Snake said:

Yes, you can set the photo to be taken a few seconds later, or even use your voice to trigger the photo capture ( by saying "ok")

Milpool

Midnight Believer said:
Not sure if its just my 3ds but I feel the top screen wobble slightly,I don't think its really any looser than my ds lite but as the top screen is heavier it feels noticable while playing sf4.

Same here, a tiny bit of wiggle.

-KRS-

I noticed that the 3DS gets a little warm after playing a bit. Not uncomfortably so, but it was definitely noticeable and made my hands sweat a little more. I guess it's only natural with the better hardware and being tightly packed, but it was a little surprising being used to a DSi XL.

And yeah there is a little wiggle on the top screen. The DSi XL also has this. It can be a little bothersome when playing in bed lying down but not really.

bitoriginal

I'm regretting getting street fighter now. Having played it a couple of times this evening, my hands have seized up, and i've got a serious headache. Think I'll try and swap it for pilotwings... I want something mellow and chilled out to play.

As a graphical showcase, street fighter is top-notch, and the online functionality is really solid, but it just doesn't suit big hands.

thomaser said:
Yes, there is.

moozoom said:
Yes, you can set the photo to be taken a few seconds later, or even use your voice to trigger the photo capture ( by saying "ok")

Music to my ears!! I don't know why but I expected Nintendo not to include such a basic feature, glad that's not the case.

bitoriginal said:
I'm regretting getting street fighter now. Having played it a couple of times this evening, my hands have seized up, and i've got a serious headache. Think I'll try and swap it for pilotwings... I want something mellow and chilled out to play.

As a graphical showcase, street fighter is top-notch, and the online functionality is really solid, but it just doesn't suit big hands.

This is offtopic, but damn I love your avatar. Brings back so many memories of me playing UO when I was a kid. But regarding Street fighter, is it hard to control with the nub or what? I got it preordered, and I'm not an avid SSF4 player since I only had a wii, so I'm not sure what control method is best to use.

tha_devil

besiktas1 said:
My goodness pro evo is so good. Hurry up and charge I've got more matches to play!
Áwsome to hear, from a big dutch site it got a 5.5 out of ten, they were really negative about the gameplay, but other sites have given it 7-8. Its the only 3ds game il get so glad to hear. My 3DS is now somewhere in england, i dont think DHL delivers on saturdays, so will have to wait untill monday.

-KRS-

StickSoldier said:
This is offtopic, but damn I love your avatar. Brings back so many memories of me playing UO when I was a kid. But regarding Street fighter, is it hard to control with the nub or what? I got it preordered, and I'm not an avid SSF4 player since I only had a wii, so I'm not sure what control method is best to use.

My instinct told me to use the D-pad. I don't even think I tried it with the slide pad actually. The D-pad is definitely a little small, but it worked pretty fine. Granted, I used the special-buttons on the touch screen as well to make specials in tight situations.

McNum

Pilotwings seems easy enough. The easy difficulty also smells like it's a set-up. This game will not remain easy, I think. I got the 3D to work as well as it can for me, I guess. I've got two dominant eyes, meaning I usually have one very dominant eye, but I can change which one it is at will. At the very lowest 3D setting I can get that to work. I see two different angles depending on what eye is dominant at the time. Just like I do everywhere else. Switching eye dominance helps me gague the distance in Pilotwings. I guess that's the amount of 3D I'm going to get out of it. Still better than none. I wish it did eye tracking as well, so I could look around the edge of the screen. That'd help a lot with the illusion.

I also transferred my old DS's Wi-Fi Connection settings over, so I should have kept all the friend codes when playin in DS mode. Unfortunately, my 3DS does not play well with my USB Wi-Fi Connector while in DS Mode. Pokémon White can use the WPA2 mode of the 3DS, though, so that's pretty handy. It must be DSi compatible.

The most fun so far, though, has been the AR cards. Silly, but fun. They work pretty well, though. Having the model change with motion makes the illusion much more believable to me.

bitoriginal

StickSoldier said:

It's not hard to control with the nub at all actually, but I sorta felt like I was using it a little more violently than I should with a new system, and therefore felt inclined to use the d-pad, which is near impossible without it being seriously uncomfortable.

The game offers two control methods, lite and pro. Basically with lite all the combo moves are mapped to the lower screen, and with pro they work as normal. Lite seems a little too easy and pro just feels a little awkward to pull off with the small buttons.

I think it's probably just personal preference but having played MvC3 for the last couple of weeks, and seriously mashing my xbox controller, it just doesn't seem to gel for me. I feel like I want to be more heavy handed than the system wants me to be. There's no doubt however that for a handheld it's a steller beat-em-up experience, but I think that on a personal level Pilot Wings is more suitable for me!

And yeah, I miss UO, it holds some of my best gaming memories! I'll never play another mmorpg again though lol.

dtrack

dtrack said:
Hi GAF!

So I've been messing around with emulators on the PC and have finally successfully made a few 3D images of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

http://www.multiupload.com/UMUYN7OH45
http://www.multiupload.com/HOEXCKMMNX
http://www.multiupload.com/YDBOY0USGV
http://www.multiupload.com/H4A440HWID
http://www.multiupload.com/8EMOVMTL6G

Unzip the files to SDCARD:\DCIM\100NIN03\

Then look on the photoviewer on the 3DS and check out the 3D effect :D

What do you think? Should I make some more images like this?

dtrack said:

I think that's enough Mario and Sonic :p

Here's Donkey Kong Country

http://www.multiupload.com/ZX8GW7FBMT

WillyFive

Lovely Salsa said:
How is lego star wars??

Gamespot didn't like it because it was like the other Lego games.

However, barring that, they said that the ship battles have glorious 3D, while the ground missions have lame 3D. They also said the game was repetitive.

I found the ultimate control method for SSF4.

I use custom pro. I have LP - LK on the right side of the touch screen and LP+MP+HP - LK+MK+HK on the left side.
I put throw on the left shoulder and focus attack on the right shoulder.
I use the slide pad and with this configuration I pull the moves even easier than with a ps3 or 360 pad.

It's really a great port and everyone must desactivate the 3d via the menu. The 60 fps in 2d mode adds a lot more to the gameplay and graphics than the 3d effect. Your battery will also last longer .

McNum

Heads up, if you want to use a Wii Mii in your 3DS, it's possible to do so.

Open the Mii Channel on your Wii and on the main Mii plaza, press "A, B, 1" on the Wii Remote, then hold the 2 button down until you get a prompt to connect to a DS.

Then use the Send/Recieve function in the Mii Maker and choose to receive from the Mii Channel on the Wii. Follow the instructions on both machines and your Wii Mii will be copied to your 3DS.

I made my 3DS Mii from scratch, though. My Wii Mii doesn't look as much like me as it used to.

Majine

Banned
McNum said:

Open the Mii Channel on your Wii and on the main Mii plaza, press "A, B, 1" on the Wii Remote, then hold the 2 button down until you get a prompt to connect to a DS.

Then use the Send/Recieve function in the Mii Maker and choose to receive from the Mii Channel on the Wii. Follow the instructions on both machines and your Wii Mii will be copied to your 3DS.

I made my 3DS Mii from scratch, though. My Wii Mii doesn't look as much like me as it used to.
I rather want the opposite since my Wii Mii (we need a more neutral name for them now that they are on a system thats not Wii) is rubbish, and that face identifier thingie will probably do my IRL face justice.

CoolS

I got Super Monkey Ball 3D for free with my order and I am pleasantly surprised woth it. It is fun, although not really hard yet on World 2.

But the 3D effect is AMAZING. There is so much depth its unbelievable. Seriously, I am really amazed. Whats even better, the 3D has a great pop out effect to it as well. Especially noticeable in world 2 with those fireflights flying around. Loooks SOOOO good.

I love the 3DS, such a great piece of hardware. Just made one mistake, playing with the sider to the max in the first hour which gave me a headache dialed it down to 40% for now which seems t work much better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
StickSoldier said:
Its probably simpler to play with the nub, but it just feels wrong to use anything other than the dpad

Which is a shame, because the spas is so far down its really uncomfortable to use. And the tiny bobbles on the bottom are digging into my finger again. Going to take a little while to discover a comfortable way to hold it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
KennyLinder said:
OK Ridge Racer. Is it true RR? And is it 60fps?

These things I need to know.

Pilotwings is a lovely game and makes me smile constantly. It's been too long since the last game, 1996!! Insanity.
Feels like true RR except for the nitros. Its only 30fps but that's fine with me, I think the original RR on psOne was 30fps

Pachimari

Can we have more impressions of PES?
Is it like pes5/6 on PS2 just smoother?
How's the 3D effects from side-view? Is it even viewable?

Turrican3

McNum said:

Lol!?!!???

I mean... what was that supposed to do when connecting a DS? I think it's the first time I hear about this feature!! o_O

beje

Banned
Turrican3 said:
Lol!?!!???

I mean... what was that supposed to do when connecting a DS? I think it's the first time I hear about this feature!! o_O

There are some DS games that support Miis, mainly some "lifestyle" games only released in Japan like Tomodachi Collection.

when will PES on 3DS get squad update DLC from konami?

Also where is the option to change squads manually. Have Konami left this out as I cant see it.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got a blue one and ridge racer. I might buy ghost recon too and the blue color looks so much better it does on pictures.

Face raiders is awesome but it's pretty hard to play when you can't stop laughing all the time at the stupid things the faces does. :p

So the battery just lasted me an hour when I tried it the first time (didnt charge before hand). I hope the battery isn't bad already so I am testing the newly charged 3ds with the lowest brightness and 3d. One thing that is maybe a bit concerning is if I move my 3ds or shake it a bit it has a clicky sound as if something is loose inside. Is it something I should be concerned about? or is everyones 3ds are like that?

S1kkZ

i need some help: my 3ds doesnt connect to my router. the setup works fine, the 3ds detects my router (speedport w701v) as an access point, i put in my wlan key but then i get an error code. i tried to setup the connection myself but with the same result.

had no problems with the wii, ps3, 360 or my pc. router is about 4 years old.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Some initial impressions

Build quality
- The unit is much more glossy and angular than I thought it would be
- Analog controller is a similar disc as PSPs, but much better
- The Home button needs a lot of force and is slow to react
- The dock has to be the cheapest piece of plastic I have ever seen
- Overall, the unit feels a bit cheap compared to DS Lite

3D effect
- I would describe it as 'whelming'. Not underwhelming, not overwhelming.
- You need to decide what to focus your eyes on - floating logo or scenery behind
- If your eyes are tired, the 3D won't work great
- Somehow 3D makes the brightness and colours feel a bit dull

Battery life
- The sleep mode with wi-fi seems to consume tons of battery
- Started from full, played an hour of Pilotwings, had sleep mode over night -> empty

Graphics
- Pilotwings feels like it's on par with PSP
- Fairly low poly and low res textures
- Aliasing is highlighted by the low resolution of the display

Games
- Pilotwings is the only one I got. Seems really fun, I can see playing it a lot.
- Trying to figure out whether any other EU game is worthwhile

Overall, a solid if not powerful console. Build quality is very cheap, I can very well see it costing much less than £100 to manufacture. Not sure if I will end up using the 3D effect, seems like a neat novelty but it's quite cognitively taxing. Maybe it will grow on me

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cheesemeister said:
Why not zip all of your photos together, instead of one-by-one?

Also, I checked out your screenshots. You put the main characters way too far in front of the screen.
I agree on both accounts.
The main characters looking detached from the backgrounds give a weird effect, and I'm not sure all the bg layers are in the correct order.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Chittagong said:
Some initial impressions

Build quality
- The unit is much more glossy and angular than I thought it would be
- Analog controller is a similar disc as PSPs, but much better
- The Home button needs a lot of force and is slow to react
- The dock has to be the cheapest piece of plastic I have ever seen
- Overall, the unit feels a bit cheap compared to DS Lite

Really? Hmmm, can't say I agree with you there. The Lite is a classily designed piece of kit but it doesn't feel as good quality as my 3DS. The gloss, stylus, solidity of the hinges, etc. all make it feel really nice in my opinion. The cradle is a bit cheap, though - my Hori DS Lite cradle is way classier (though you can't play and charge with it).

Top Bottom