• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... my 3DS seems to be stuck on the update.

Anyway to cancel it?

EDIT: Meh, just turn the system off.

Merovin

I promised impressions, but all I have is an impression of Pilotwings, and dear god is it amazing. Being my first ever Pilotwings game probably makes the experience that much better as well, the 3D for it works perfectly, it runs so smoothly and looks great. Perfect for me being OCD with completion as well, done the novice levels perfect 3 stars, time to truly get started now. Free roam is really relaxing, feels good to explore for the first time, and the music is really calming. Definitely hope to get more Pilotwings for the 3DS.

Going to try Rayman 3D in a bit, but for now, back to Pilotwings and messing around some more with the AR cards, which are amazing! Need to print out some larger ones sometime for some fun.

Oh and, no headaches yet, eyes feel a little tired after playing for a good few hours straight, but I did have the 3D slider up quite high so that's my bad.

Shiggy

jarosh said:
why bring up the dsi xl of all ds revisions? ds games look flawless on all of the original ds systems (except for the ds phat one maybe), since the displays' native resolution match the games' output resolutions. the 3ds has to upscale ds games since it has higher resolution screens.

I just wondered because the DSi XL also had quite a large screen compared to the DS Lite.

Peru

Hell yeah to the Pilotwings love. The series is going strong as ever three games in. We may have to wait for ages between each game, but damn it they've made great use of each system's hardware.

bitoriginal

Hi GAF, decided to jump in today. Got the cosmos black from HMV and I think it looks really sleek. Haven't even turned it on yet, letting it charge to max before I play it. Got SSFIV, but I'm hearing good things about pilot wings.

Also, HMV are ridiculous with trade ins, I bought MvC3 for £40 with a free t-shirt and a £5 gift card. Traded it in for £35! Pretty much got a free t-shirt and the game at my leisure lol.

Guys who are playing Pilotwings at 100% in 3D - have you had previous experience with 3D technology outside of the cinema?

Really struggling at about 20% here.

Mafro

BGBW said:
Hmmm... my 3DS seems to be stuck on the update.

Anyway to cancel it?

EDIT: Meh, just turn the system off.
I thought mine's was stuck, but it was just taking aaaages. It looked like it was doing nothing for at least 5 minutes until the bar started filling up.

Shiggy said:
I just wondered because the DSi XL also had quite a large screen compared to the DS Lite.

DSi XL has the same resolution, just on a larger screen space (low ppi). It's still sharp, but a bit pixel-y/block-y,

3DS has a higher resolution and the DS image has to be unnaturally scaled to fit. The other solution I guess would be to have a much higher res screen like the PSP to PSP2 (which is exactly 4 times the res of the PSP) but that probably wasn't an option because of the 3D and other factors.

nli10

Keyser Soze said:
Angry email sen to Amazon... don't feel any better

Got a friend to give me theirs from GameStation and they will have mine when it arrives.

Amazon screwed the pooch on this one.

dtrack

dtrack said:
Hi GAF!

So I've been messing around with emulators on the PC and have finally successfully made a few 3D images of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

http://www.multiupload.com/UMUYN7OH45
http://www.multiupload.com/HOEXCKMMNX
http://www.multiupload.com/YDBOY0USGV
http://www.multiupload.com/H4A440HWID
http://www.multiupload.com/8EMOVMTL6G

Unzip the files to SDCARD:\DCIM\100NIN03\

Then look on the photoviewer on the 3DS and check out the 3D effect :D

What do you think? Should I make some more images like this?

Just gotten started on Super Mario World now!

http://www.multiupload.com/DF1A1HLE0U
http://www.multiupload.com/HE4BEDBDQI
http://www.multiupload.com/GGAU5J4VZE
http://www.multiupload.com/RLZ35ZJ5OA
http://www.multiupload.com/IGPPKH1OUJ

Will update this post as I make more.

Peru

dtrack - pretty neat, checked out a few images. I like the fact that we can get 3d content from other sources.

Milpool

An Owl With Knees said:
Guys who are playing Pilotwings at 100% in 3D - have you had previous experience with 3D technology outside of the cinema?

Really struggling at about 20% here.

It's nearly impossible for me to focus on Pilotwings and Monkey Ball when at 100%, about 1mm up from 'off' is the sweet spot for me.

I can't get 3 stars on Gold Hang Glider 3, am cry.

taku

Milpool said:
It's nearly impossible for me to focus on Pilotwings and Monkey Ball when at 100%, about 1mm up from 'off' is the sweet spot for me.

I can't get 3 stars on Gold Hang Glider 3, am cry.
Try to distance yourself a bit more from the screen. I had a big problem adjusting to the 3D in the beginning before I found a sweet spot. Distance is everything.

GC|Simon

GC|Simon said:
Amazon.de shipped my 3DS with Hermes... I heard that Hermes needs a lot of time for delivery... hope this isn't true...

It wasn't true. Great console. Really. Mini Billiard is freakin' great!

jarosh

pilotwings is the worst. i tried everything to play at 100% but it's just too much and really strains my eyes. i ended up playing at <50% and it sorta works, but it's not perfect. strange, because nintendogs' 3d is equally strong, if not stronger, yet it doesn't cause me any eye strain and works just fine.

dc89

jarosh said:
pilotwings is the worst. i tried everything to play at 100% but it's just too much and really strains my eyes. i ended up playing at <50% and it sorta works, but it's not perfect. strange, because nintendogs' 3d effect is equally strong, if not stronger, yet it doesn't cause any eye strain for me and works just fine.

I thought Pilot Wings is a bit OTT at full. I was going cross eyed haha! I put it half way down and it was great!

Street Fighter is brilliant! The games looks stunning with 3D turned off too.

Milpool

taku said:
Try to distance yourself a bit more from the screen. I had a big problem adjusting to the 3D in the beginning before I found a sweet spot. Distance is everything.

Just tried that, I can definitely see the 3d at 100%, but I can feel lots of strain. 50% and less looks amazing to me though with no strain, played for an hour and a half this morning none stop with no issues.

Just realised you can look around with the slide pad as the camera roams around on the Pilotwings title screen.

Peru

I've got Pilotwings at 40% without a hitch, although I probably spent 15-20 minutes getting my eyes used to it all.

Got a notification from Nintendo on the 3DS about the video update. Apparently it was there along with an update to the overall stability of the system and to improve communications (whatever that means).

Shoogoo

I spent a couple of hours in the menus/AR/Mii and such and didn't catch a headache. After that I loaded SSFIV and had to stop after 40mins. Weird :/

tass0

Banned
Really light and small, I am impressed.

3ds4.png

Funny enough, playing the 3DS made my hype for NGP rise 3x more, since my main complaint about 3DS is its hardware strength.

Handheld gaming is the future, at least for me. :D

Now, let's get some awesome JRPGs on this motherfucker.

jarosh said:
pilotwings is the worst. i tried everything to play at 100% but it's just too much and really strains my eyes. i ended up playing at <50% and it sorta works, but it's not perfect. strange, because nintendogs' 3d is equally strong, if not stronger, yet it doesn't cause me any eye strain and works just fine.
I had a play around in the shop with pilotwings on 100% and I was fine, everyone really is different it seems

Zomba13

Does anyone know if the 3DS can display .jps files if they get renamed to .mpo? Would they need to be at the 3DSs resolution?

tha_devil

tass0 said:
Really light and small, I am impressed.

3ds4.png

Funny enough, playing the 3DS made my hype for NGP rise 3x more, since my main complaint about 3DS is its hardware strength.

Handheld gaming is the future, at least for me. :D

Now, let's get some awesome JRPGs on this motherfucker.
Im still not finished playing jrpgs on DS. Dont have that many time to play, but still have to finish Dragon Quest V, VI and IX (just finished IV so awsome, love old school). I should get Radiant Historia to (almost everywhere sold out...). That will occupy me alot of time. And i have a huge backlog of ps3 games. Lucky 3ds launch games sucks. I live in europe and ordered one from VGP (bundle with PES). I will skip on all the crappy/ports/low content games and finish my DS rpg's before the good games will come out.

Its really weird though that i haven't heard of alot people in europe importing a USA 3ds, i mean you get cheaper games, games that wont be released in europe and games that take ages to get localized over here.

B.K.

How bad do DS games look on the 3DS? I've watched a few videos, but they don't really show off how the upscaling looks very well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
tha_devil said:
Its really weird though that i haven't heard of alot people in europe importing a USA 3ds, i mean you get cheaper games, games that wont be released in europe and games that take ages to get localized over here.

I am! Mine should arrive from VGP tomorrow, with Steel Diver, Nintendogs, Pilotwings and SSFIV. I got a UK unit today that I pre-ordered ages ago but I'm still deciding what to do with it. No way in hell will I be restricting myself to EU release schedules.

B.K. said:
How bad do DS games look on the 3DS? I've watched a few videos, but they don't really show off how the upscaling looks very well.

I only tried Pokemon White but it looked terrible compared to a DSi. Grainy and fuzzy, and looked awkward on the larger screen. It's not the same as playing a GBA game on a DSLite, it just looks worse in every way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Disappointed so far by just how narrow the sweet spot seems to be. Also I seem to be viewing it very slightly to left of centre, not dead-on, to get the proper effect. I just find myself drifting in and out of 3D all the time, unless i pretty much lock my position, which will end up uncomfortable for long periods. I'm also disappointed that so many games require tweaking of the slider. Hopefully some consistency will emerge as time goes on.

Pilot wings is almost unplayable for me at full blast, I have to have it right down. However, if I defocus my eyes a little, and ignore the plane, then full power 3D looks pretty damn good. Just makes it difficult to actually play.. Game itself is fun so far, but doesn't look very long.

Ridge racer. The menus are a mess, and I still hate having nitrosamines (you can't not use them, as the AI uses them). But the sheer nostalgia playing the first classic RR track, only this time in 3D just put a huge smile on my face.

Ghost recon has some great 3D. The characters are a little odd looking, almost like sprites. But the maps are really solid - it is like playing with toy soldiers. The fog/smoke on the second level works really well too. Story seems pointless so far, and the overall presentation isn't great, but it's looking like it'll offer some good meaty SRPG goodness

Mafro

B.K. said:
Tried out Bowser's Inside Story and it still looks great.

B.K. said:
I tried Dragon Quest IX earlier and it looks really bad when upscaled. Displaying the game in it's native resolution looks good, but the screens are way too small for me to find it enjoyable to play it with that. I think I'm going to pick up a DSi for my DS games.

-KRS-

Played on my friends' 3DSs for several hours now and I just love it. Before I tried it I thought that I'll wait a little, but now I can't wait until I get money so I can buy one :D

They both bought SSF4 so we had really fun with that for a while. But damn just the built in software is impressive and fun to play with. The 3D when playing the AR cards was a little weird for me, with overlapping images. I tried to adjust the slider a little but it didn't really help. Maybe I was holding it too far away from my face or something. The 3D was fine in everything else.

I haven't seen a lot of 3D before this, except in electronics stores where they've set up 3DTVs. When I first looked at the 3DS my eyes felt like they were a little confused, but they quickly focused the two images correctly and after a minute or so it was no problem. I found that setting it at the maximum settings gave me some strain, but it was really comfortable at a little above half.

OK Ridge Racer. Is it true RR? And is it 60fps?

These things I need to know.

Pilotwings is a lovely game and makes me smile constantly. It's been too long since the last game, 1996!! Insanity.

Almyn

tha_devil said:

I am hoping that a solution to region locking will be found at some point in the future. I may pick up an American 3DS later down the line, But I don't want to be stuck with an import only machine right away. The price of games drops so fast here a lot of the time and I don't want to restrict myself to that. Plus I like to be able to walk into the store and walk out with a game, whether it's used or just on sale. Oh and I have a mountain of ds rpg's to play through, So it's not like i'm in any real hurry for any more and Atlus rpg's are 90% of what I was importing anyway.

I just wish Atlus would get off their ass and start publishing games in Europe, Or get someone else to do it. Although with Devil Survivor 2 being a DS release, Maybe I won't have to start worrying about picking up a second 3DS for a while.

WillyFive

KennyLinder said:
OK Ridge Racer. Is it true RR? And is it 60fps?

These things I need to know.

Pilotwings is a lovely game and makes me smile constantly. It's been too long since the last game, 1996!! Insanity.

It's true RR, but not 60 fps, although people don't seem to care.

I don't know what that 3DS thing on Sky1 was, but I just fast-forwarded through the whole fucking thing without seeing anything interesting to press play on.

Zomba13

synt4x said:
The 3D when playing the AR cards was a little weird for me, with overlapping images. I tried to adjust the slider a little but it didn't really help. Maybe I was holding it too far away from my face or something. The 3D was fine in everything else.
I'm pretty sure that's because with the AR stuff you are moving about and it's hard to keep it parallel with your eyes (which it needs to be for the 3D). Some people find it better to play the AR games in 2D to avoid that.

I haven't seen a lot of 3D before this, except in electronics stores where they've set up 3DTVs. When I first looked at the 3DS my eyes felt like they were a little confused, but they quickly focused the two images correctly and after a minute or so it was no problem. I found that setting it at the maximum settings gave me some strain, but it was really comfortable at a little above half.
It does take a while to get used to 3D. If you're used to 3D it's easy to jump in at 100% because your eyes/brain are used to it.

Keyser Soze said:
I don't know what that 3DS thing on Sky1 was, but I just fast-forwarded through the whole fucking thing without seeing anything interesting to press play on.
just watched it cos there was nothing else on and my 3ds is on charge (been playing far too much ridge racer than was healthy) and it was rubbish

Got my 3DS, Pilotwings and Nintendogs + Cats today.

System is fuck-awesome - just a really polished design, the OS is great, loads of fantastic little touches and the 3D effect rocks my fucking socks off (and is easily adjustable with the slider so I can find my comfort zone on any piece of software).

The 3D effect is slightly uncomfortable at first, but once you tweak to a comfortable setting and get used to holding the device at a comfortable distance it's perfect.

The thing is just a delight to use, and both Face Raiders and AR Games seem to be the Wii Play equivalent here, showing off the 3D effect and the possibilities for AR gaming - as well as amusing and surprising everyone I've shown the console too.

Job well done, Nintendo - I can't see this thing failing to do well.

Top Bottom