• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Roxas said:
Hmm, ive just had an email from Tesco direct. Offering me £25 off any 3DS game (except Pro Evo, Ridge Racer and something else, cant remember). I was one of those that ordered it when they had a price glitch at £159 or whatever it was, they took the money but refunded when they saw their mistake.

Just bought Pilotwings for £10 :D

same. Picked up SSFIV

BTW, how is lag/slow down with multiplayer on SSFIV? Played with a friend using the 'download play' option, and there was tons of slowdown all over the place. Wondering if thats just using download play.

one nice thing about the download play is (1) it seems much faster than the DS one, and (2) it stays loaded up until you turn the system off, even if the 'host' disconnects. So eg in SSFIV I can play against the CPU, making it kind of like a little demo.

storafötter said:
I see that everyones charging before playing, but shouldn't it have enough juice the first time? I've read that it doesn't matter charging before using these batteries. Was it right or?

You can start using the 3DS right away. If you like to, you can also start using it while charging (without the cradle), which will give you the best of both worlds (charging the battery + using the 3DS) ;)

Just btw. what ways are there to earn coins? I did already earn 10 coins by walking the 1000 steps per day, but I need more :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
do miis come to your plaza from online friends, or only from spotpass? Can't see myself bumping into many people with 3DSes in sleep mode

Donnie

Been playing around with the camera. while the quality isn't great, the effect is brilliant, it makes the pics look so deep. But I'm especially enjoying inverting images so that everything pops out of the screen. Took a pic of a top down view of a bottle of larger earlier on and the 3D effect makes it look like the bottle is popping about 2 inches out of the screen, looks fantastic! :)

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Mine had 3 bars full when I first turned it on last night. Red light came on after about 2 hours of solid playing (although I had the brightness full during that time).

Thats good to hear! ill probably use it at Mid Brightness with Wifi turned off (don't need it for Ghost Recon!)

Pachimari

I'm on the edge to go buy a 3DS today, I must resist...
Especially as I love football (PES2011 3D), 3D effects and will recieve Pokémon White next week (probably), and I haven't played a majority of the DS games (though, I won't have time) hmm... must not buy, lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
tass0 said:
So, my game arrived, but not my 3DS.

What the fawk, man? :(

img2511u.jpg
Welcome to my world. :(

Pizza Luigi said:
So I recall some pictures of a 3D drawing app that was posted in the Japan launch thread. Where do I find this? AR Games?
Yeah, it lets you draw in AR. I think it may be one of the games you have to unlock, though, not one of the default ones.

thy_

Yazan said:
Am I the only one who thinks that old DS games look weird now?

Have you tried holding Start+Select during the boot up of DS-mode? (when the screen goes black).

3DS screens have a higher resolution than the DS games are rendered in, so the image gets stretched which can lead to a blurry image.
Holding Start+Select starts the game at the original DS resolution (which makes the images noticeably smaller).

Pizza Luigi said:
So I recall some pictures of a 3D drawing app that was posted in the Japan launch thread. Where do I find this? AR Games?

Yes Graffiti, it unlocks after you've played the Shooting Gallery and Mini-Billiard

Zomba13

I have to say, I'm impressed with SSFIV3D. It looks great in and out of 3D and seems to be an amazing port of the 360/PS3 game. Only problem is it keeps matching me with JP players in quick match but I suppose I need to go into custom and search for same region, just like with the console version and MvC3.
Only problems are that it takes a bit of getting used to the circle pad, it's awkward (for me) to hit the left shoulder button, and when playing I keep slipping in and out of the 3D sweet spot because I tend to slightly tilt the console when trying to pull off moves.
Loving the 3D effect on the menu backgrounds though.

mrklaw said:
same. Picked up SSFIV

BTW, how is lag/slow down with multiplayer on SSFIV? Played with a friend using the 'download play' option, and there was tons of slowdown all over the place. Wondering if thats just using download play.
I had 2 matches against JP players, 1 match was fine, only a bit of lag at the begging of the match then it went, the other was horrible. Seems to be just up to who you're playing, like with the consoles. No slowdown or added lag or anything for being a handheld. At least I've not noticed any yet.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Fucking Amazon uk. Is there any chance of a delivery later than now? I guess not, but is there a chance? Really sucks too because I could have bought one in person today but Amazon had it 'dispatching soon', preventing me from cancelling :<

I'm registering on Club Nintendo so that I can redeem my points, however I noticed that it says they only ship reward orders to the US and Canada. I'm in the UK, so is there any point registering?

nvm, was on the US site...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
vcassano1 said:
Fucking Amazon uk. Is there any chance of a delivery later than now? I guess not, but is there a chance? Really sucks too because I could have bought one in person today but Amazon had it 'dispatching soon', preventing me from cancelling :<

If they're only dispatching today I think it's extremely unlikely you'll get it today.

My games just arrived (dispatched yesterday), but no system. Maybe will arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky, but don't know if UPS does saturday delivery.

dtrack

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
vcassano1 said:

Go out and buy a new one and return the Amazon one when it turns up.

RpgN

Went to shops today, it is available in most shops with a lot of stock, the only shop that is sold out is where I want to get my 3DS (in May) with vouchers. It's nice that they're all asking 244 instead of 250, and some of them give accessories for free as well. I was hoping to have a demo to experience 3D but there was only one shop that had it and that didn't have electricity at that time :( I traded another bunch of games and have enough money to get a 3DS and a game now. I only need to wait for Dead or Alive Dimensions or another competent/solid game to join the fun!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Got mine too. (I mean the dispatch notice.)

"Dispatched via UPS (estimated arrival date: March 28, 2011)."

I'll be looking for a refund on that delivery cost, Amazon.

qwerty2k

gofreak said:
Got mine too. (I mean the dispatch notice.)

"Dispatched via UPS (estimated arrival date: March 28, 2011)."

I'll be looking for a refund on that delivery cost, Amazon.

you should do as i just got this email from amazon:

Hello,

We are contacting you regarding your recent order: xxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx

We are writing to advise you that, due to an unexpected delay, your order will not arrive today.

Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience that this may cause. We will refund the delivery cost of your order and are working to get this item to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I'm registering on Club Nintendo so that I can redeem my points, however I noticed that it says they only ship reward orders to the US and Canada. I'm in the UK, so is there any point registering?

nvm, was on the US site...

is there a more annoying website than club nintendo? Stupid form you have to fill in every time you buy something. Even though you're registered, it still asks who its for, what your age is. FFS.

and it can't even accept the code in lowercase, forces you to type it in properly.

Still, just from the 3DS and launch games I have enough for a deck of cards :)

edit: Hmm, or a sound block. Or a sock which would be a nice case for slinging the 3DS in my bag..

I had a headache the first time, but I've played it for a couple of hours today no problem. I think the screen just needs time for your brain to get used to. Your eyes are literally part of your brain, after all.

I've been playing Pilotwings, mainly on free flight mode. There's actually a hell of a lot of to find and discover on each vehicle, and unlocking dioramas and times of day is rewarding.

I can't even begin to imagine how amazing it would be if there was more than one place to explore like this.

I hope they make a Pilotwings World now ^^

scarybore

Got my 3DS with Street Fighter and I'm really enjoying it, it's a nice piece of hardware.

I'll be honest and say I'm not sold on the 3D, it looks strange to me and I don't like how it dulls the screen, but I'll give it a go on each game I buy anyway.

farnham

Banned
my 3ds is still not dispatched but its now dispatching soon

i also got to see the 3ds for the first time today

and... im not impressed at all.. you surely do see a certain depth (i was playing nintendogs) which makes the poligon models look like they are on a 3d field.

but i dont see how this is anything more then a nice but gimmicky effect. meh

that said its better then the 3dtvs i have seen (the ones with 3d glasses)

tass0

Banned
Well, I finally got my 3DS, and after 30 minutes of playing, these are my impressions:

1. The device is sexy as f*ck. Did not expect this level of sexiness.
2. The 3D effect is not too bad actually, but strains the eye. AR is cool, looking forward to see what kind of nifty "tricks" devs can add into their games.
3. Biggest disappoint seems to be the systems' hardware strength. Street Fighter 4 is too laggy for a fighter (seems about 20-25 FPS, even with 3D off) and generally the graphics are not too nice.

Here are some pics I took:

3ds1.png

3ds2.png

3ds3.png

I tried the 3ds a bit, wasn't that amazed by the face raiders game. Could be because I have spoiled myself from a surprise. So far the 3d is interesting ,but not very memorable or unique. This doesn't mean I don't believe that it will be implemented well in the future. Just have to wait for games to wow me.
I admit I haven't played with the 3d that much yet, will do so later more in case it grows more on me.

Overall I don't regret getting a 3ds, as its still a Nintendo machine that will offer a lot of good games. It is very nice that they gave you the choice to regulate or switch it off as you want to. :) I like that the WIFI finally recognizes secure networks! I can join the Pokeman trade/battles from now on.

Merovin

Zomba13 said:
lol.
I'm sorry if I offend anyone but the 3D on the 3DS is nothing compared to the depth and intensity of 3D via Nvidia's 3D vision. If the 3DS 3D gives people head aches then 3D just isn't for them or they are doing it wrong (moving the system while using, looking at it off angle etc)

I'm willing to bet a lot of people have just shoved the 3D slider at max and left it there too, need to adjust it to your own comfort level!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mafro said:
What's wrong with it?
Unless I am to believe they some how haven't hit 3000 applicant yet, the page title still indicated I got a free tshirt when I registered just a moment ago.

Top Bottom