• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

taku

Anyone else get an error when trying to do a system update? I've tried multiple times now..

Edit: Nevermind, it finally worked!

Merovin said:
I'm willing to bet a lot of people have just shoved the 3D slider at max and left it there too, need to adjust it to your own comfort level!

Pretty much can confirm this. When I first tried the ds, the first minute or so I could feel eye strain at once. But when I lowered the 3d settings much lower, it was more comfortable to look at. I haven't looked at 3d for 20 minutes straight though.

Zomba13

Merovin said:
I'm willing to bet a lot of people have just shoved the 3D slider at max and left it there too, need to adjust it to your own comfort level!
Could very well be a cause. With the PC I had to ease myself up the 3D depth slider, Starting out at 10%, getting comfortable with that then to 25%, then 40, now I play at 60 comfortable and don't see a reason to go higher, it has good amount of depth on things and I don't get a head ache.
I just leave my 3DS on max 3d because I'm used to the stuff and at max it's perfect for how far I hold the system from me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Got a black one - 3DS is an awesome lookin device....i really dont get the hate :eek:

dvolovets

Quick question. Could somebody post a comparison picture of the 3DS's top screen and an iPod Touch? I've heard that the screen size is the same but the Touch's screen seems way too big...and not how I remember the 3DS top screen looking from the demo I played at Best Buy.

Zomba13

cw_sasuke said:
Got a black one - 3DS is an awesome lookin device....i really dont get the hate :eek:
The only thing I don't like about it's looks is that the top/front is just bare. I just feel like there should be a logo or something there, like on the lite.

Jb

Picked up a cosmo black during luch break.

I was afraid the 3D wouldn't work since I've got astigmatism, but so far everything's working perfectly. I just wish there was a great platformer or adventure game to go with it. SSF4 is nice and all, but OoT better come here fast.

heringer

Zomba13 said:
Could very well be a cause. With the PC I had to ease myself up the 3D depth slider, Starting out at 10%, getting comfortable with that then to 25%, then 40, now I play at 60 comfortable and don't see a reason to go higher, it has good amount of depth on things and I don't get a head ache.
I just leave my 3DS on max 3d because I'm used to the stuff and at max it's perfect for how far I hold the system from me.
So you also got some eyestrain with 3D Vision? I'm very curious as to the difference between 3D Vision, 3D TV's and 3DS. So 3D Vision has a stronger effect? Maybe that has something to do with the games?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Android18a said:
Guess who I've been SHOOTING in the FACE??

IvL9f.jpg

I am so totally going to do that!

RyL

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:

well thank god (not really), I've bad stereoscopic vision/depth perception to begin with.
(it's not existing with 3D still pictures, and in motion it isn't much better)

doesn't matter if it's those stare pictures (3D Stereograms), Cyan/red or shutter glasses ... I can't see 3D

If you wanna know how it feels close one eye... still I've learned to live with it and to guess distances, I was pretty good in most dodgeball games back in school =P

btw. question to normal people, how does the 3D effect look with 3D photos

angelfly

dvolovets said:
Quick question. Could somebody post a comparison picture of the 3DS's top screen and an iPod Touch? I've heard that the screen size is the same but the Touch's screen seems way too big...and not how I remember the 3DS top screen looking from the demo I played at Best Buy.
P1010952.jpg

jarosh

i'm impressed with both the quality of the speakers on the system and the audio itself in the menu and most of the built-in software. there's some really high quality music and excellently designed and crisp sound in this little machine. especially compared to the original ds and even the wii.

Maffis

Anyone else getting charged for the case that was supposed to be cheaper and screen protector that was supposed to be free from Amazon? I can see on my online bank account that they have and in the dispatch mail they sent me for the items.

EDIT: Ah I get it now. They lowered the price of the 3DS by 10 pounds instead of just sending those stuff cheaper/free.

dk_

3DS hands-on: 3D effect especially in SFIV excellent (Pilot Wings somehow meh), but at the moment there is no system seller. Still waiting!

Zomba13

heringer said:
So you also got some eyestrain with 3D Vision? I'm very curious as to the difference between 3D Vision, 3D TV's and 3DS. So 3D Vision has a stronger effect? Maybe that has something to do with the games?
When I first started using it yeah. Had it set to 100% and it was all 'woah it's blowing up my eyes!' so I lowed it down loads and slowly climbed up each session. 3D vision's 3D seems to me at least much stronger and deep and on the 3DS though so far I've just used SSF4 and the built in 3DS programs on my 3DS while I've used pretty much every PC game I can in 3D at least once.

heringer

Zomba13 said:
When I first started using it yeah. Had it set to 100% and it was all 'woah it's blowing up my eyes!' so I lowed it down loads and slowly climbed up each session. 3D vision's 3D seems to me at least much stronger and deep and on the 3DS though so far I've just used SSF4 and the built in 3DS programs on my 3DS while I've used pretty much every PC game I can in 3D at least once.
Hmm, interesting. I guess time will tell if this is about software or hardware.

Cagen

At the start of the week I had come to the conclusion I wasn't going to buy a 3DS with the poor launch titles but now I have two. Picked one up from tesco this morning as I had placed an order with play but they were messing about with the status of my order, sent them an email as this had been going on for a few days but all of a sudden it decides they have shipped it. I didn't even want one! Though I am enjoying it now.

As for the people reporting headaches, I played a few sessions today and could only manage to play about an hour at a time before my eyes started to strain, I've messed with the slider lots and it doesn't help.

Midas

OK. So I bought Pilotwings but am already quite tired of it. What should I get? I don't know anyone with a 3DS yet so Street Fighter is probably out of the question... What about Lego Star Wars? Any good?

angelfly

Midas said:
OK. So I bought Pilotwings but am already quite tired of it. What should I get? I don't know anyone with a 3DS yet so Street Fighter is probably out of the question... What about Lego Star Wars? Any good?
It has online play

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i wait till it red and then turn it on the cradle.

battery life is pretty atrocious tbh, but i really like the system. even tho i got a wonky slidepad :/

Morokh

Peru said:
Have all Europeans got the firmware update? For some reason no notification is popping up here.

Go in the console settings and update it.

It isn't really a firmware update, it just adds a 3D video

Peru

Pilotwings is GOTY material. I know I shouldn't have listened to 'content' complaints about frikkin Pilotwings, but I was worried... but no, this is PURE GAMING.

kamkor

Neo Member
3DS is first nintendo console I've ever owned. When I first turned on the 3d I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. Almost got goosebumps. After a short while and entering the menu.. I've settled in and realized that this looks really deep. :)

Played with it for a bit over 1 hour with 20 minutes break. It does tire eyes a bit, but I didn't get a headache yet.

I will have sf4 on monday, so till then I will be just testing the console and taking 3d pictures, which look awesome (when viewed on 3ds ofcourse). :)

jarosh

ds games with a lot of pixel art are nigh unplayable on the 3ds to me, they're really blurry from the upscaling and the artifacts don't help. 3d games actually work best, as the added softness actually helps with the jaggies and the interpolated pixels aren't distracting. good thing i don't care about backwards compatibility. i still own a dsi, a dsi xl and a ds lite and i'd rather play my ds games on those.

Majine

Banned
jarosh said:
ds games with a lot of pixel art are nigh unplayable on the 3ds to me, they're really blurry from the upscaling and the artifacts don't help.
You can play DS games in their native resolution somehow.

jarosh said:
ds games with a lot of pixel art are nigh unplayable on the 3ds to me, they're really blurry from the upscaling and the artifacts don't help. 3d games actually work best, as the added softness actually helps with the jaggies and the interpolated pixels aren't distracting. good thing i don't care about backwards compatibility. i still own a dsi, a dsi xl and a ds lite and i'd rather play my ds games on those.

I'm only a few hours into Okamiden on my DS Phat, and I'm probably going to grab Dementium II for cheap from Gamestop on Sunday, so this suits me fine. Shame I don't have any other option for playing DSiWare games (particularly Shantae), but I'll deal with it.

Shiggy

jarosh said:

Why do DS games look worse on the 3DS than on the DSi XL?

meppi

Shoogoo said:
Do you guys fully drain the battery before you put it on the holder (can't remember the name in english)?
I read on here before that it's actually best to charge the battery as randomly as possible, so I will do my best to certainly not drain it completely before charging it.
Just gonna make it a habit to put it in the cradle when I'm done playing.

Peru said:
Pilotwings is GOTY material. I know I shouldn't have listened to 'content' complaints about frikkin Pilotwings, but I was worried... but no, this is PURE GAMING.
Loving Pilotwings as well, but I have to say I never thought all the negativity about it had any merit.
Pilotwings is Pilotwings, simple as that.
The first couple of missions are nothing but baby steps for people that never played a Pilotwings game before, but after that the fun really starts.
Still love the Jetpack the most. :)

And I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised about Ridge Racer as well.
Plays great and even though the graphics aren't mind-blowing, they sure look extremely nice thanks to the colorful and vibrant art style.

The only negative thing I could say about it is that I've noticed a couple minor framedrops, but nothing dramatic, as well as some ghosting for lack of a better word, especially with white buildings and lines on the road.
I'm playing it with the slider all the way up though.

Played for over 2 hours straight and no sign of headaches or anything, so I guess I'm good. ;)

[Nintex]

Woah, Pilotwings works really well in 3D. The hang glider is just awesome, soaring in the 3D skies. Ridge Racer 3D should be here tommorow so I'm just about to enter the slipstream!

GJS

Shiggy said:
The DSi XL has the same screen resolution as the DS, the 3DS has a higher resolution so the image is upscaled.

jarosh

Majine said:
You can play DS games in their native resolution somehow.
yeah i know. and while it's definitely a lot sharper - actually perfect in theory - the screens are just too tiny like that for me.

Shiggy said:
why bring up the dsi xl of all ds revisions? ds games look flawless on all of the original ds systems (except for the ds phat one maybe), since the displays' native resolution match the games' output resolutions. the 3ds has to upscale ds games since it has higher resolution screens.

Top Bottom