• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

Gator86

No its not at all like that.

This is something that grants you DLC that you can sell back to gamestop. DLC that you can sell back.

Did I stutter?

Haha who the fuck still says "Did I stutter?" Amiibo aren't a great solution because you can take them into your local GameStop for a nickel.

TheMoon

Hey! Pikmin has a lot of bonus stages that can only be unlocked with Amiibo. The Pikmin Amiibo also serves as a "pay to win" mechanism because it's the only way to start a level with a certain amount of Pikmin already summoned.

Please don't misrepresent the amiibo figure "stages" as actual levels. It's a room where you have to overcome a tiny obstacle like a pit, then throw your Pikmin to pick up the figurine. It's like the first screen of Mario 1-1 and you have to get the mushroom. Using that for the "locking away content" narrative is more counter-productive than anything. It's absolutely trivial, the meat of this feature here is the silly descriptive text you get for the respective figurine.

I know it sounds like a cool "get" to say "bonus stages locked behind amiibo" but then you actually take a look and realize ...nope.

One example:
ujs68.jpg

vvsrs.jpg
fqsvl.jpg
3ksld.jpg

What does the Fusion suit do exactly?
Is the fusion hard mode tougher then regular hard mode?

There's many things nintendo are not being clear about.

Haha who the fuck still says "Did I stutter?" Amiibo aren't a great solution because you can take them into your local GameStop for a nickel.

Amiibos give you invaluable lessons in being a scalper though.

Yes, confirmed by several sources that were allowed to preview the game.

I have a feeling they aren't being clear for a reason. Why would they address the issue and not even clarify it? They basically changed the hard mode is locked behind an amiibo to another extra hard mode maybe exists locked behind an amiibo. And reading the OP it seems to me like an extra hard mode exists that's locked behind an amiibo.

TheMoon

Why should it? Its still the same problem:

-Normal (ingame)
-Hard (ingame)
-Very hard (BUY OUR STUPID TOY TO UNLOCK!!)

no, the old problem was: normal (in-game), hard (BUY OUR STUPID TOY TO UNLOCK!!) with no inbetween. be pissed all you want but at least acknowledge that there is now a grey layer between this black-and-white crap.

no, the old problem was: normal (in-game), hard (BUY OUR STUPID TOY TO UNLOCK!!) with no inbetween. be pissed all you want but at least acknowledge that there is now a grey layer between this black-and-white crap.

No there isn't. Nothing changed for the people who actually cared about the hardest mode being locked by an amiibo, having more than one difficultly option doesn't change that. They could have ten difficultly setting for all I care, but while the last one is still locked behind a amiibo, nothing changes.

Now, if they announced Fusion mode was unlocked for beating hardmode and the amiibo just allows you to get it early, it'd still be shitty, on the level of say, RE7 making madhouse mode a preorder bonus, but it'd be far less egregious.

royox

The main issue always was "they are locking a difficulty mode behind amiibo". It's still the same thing, the only difference is that now we know there's another difficulty mode in the game.

No there isn't. Nothing changed for the people who actually cared about the hardest mode being locked by an amiibo, having more than one difficultly option doesn't change that.

I think it makes it worse. Because why even bother with hard mode, to prove anything to yourself, if the Fusion suit makes it more difficult? Why spend any time on an in-between mode?

Feffe

Why should it? Its still the same problem:

-Normal (ingame)
-Hard (ingame)
-Very hard (BUY OUR STUPID TOY TO UNLOCK!!)
The very hard mode (of which we don't know anything btw) only exist because the stupid toy. So they are removing nothing from you $40 game.

Proof: no Metroid ever had a Fusion Mode

PSFan

The main issue always was "they are locking a difficulty mode behind amiibo". It's still the same thing, the only difference is that now we know there's another difficulty mode in the game.

No, I think the main issue is that they are locking a mode and extras behind amiibo, which aren't always easy to obtain. Especially when they do that retailer exclusive crap they do here in the US. Still waiting for Amazon to restock Skyward Sword Link.

Stoze

Welp, that sucks.

I'm still disappointed that any Hard mode isn't unlocked from the get-go, even though that's how it's always been with Metroid/Zelda games.

Vidiot

Locking any difficulty setting behind a toy you most likely won't be able to find except on eBay for three times the price is bullshit no matter how they spin it.

Edit: I have to stop using swipe.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'll forget the exact quote but someone said a long time ago that Nintendo is in a no-win situation with Amiibo and they'r exactly right.

If they're not used for anything significant, buyers will complain that they're useless.

If they are used for significant purposes, folks that didn't buy them will complain that they don't want to buy them.

yuoke

Banned
I'll forget the exact quote but someone said a long time ago that Nintendo is in a no-win situation with Amiibo and they'r exactly right.

If they're not used for anything significant, buyers will complain that they're useless.

If they are used for significant purposes, folks that didn't buy them will complain that they don't want to buy them.

I just saw someone on reddit literally say "I wish amiibos did more, but at the same time I wish they weren't like full dlc."

Nintendo is in a no win situation there.

I can't believe I'm seeing people justify a difficulty option being locked behind a paywall. I don't understand why Nintendo actually does this. Hard mode in BotW too, but I guess you don't need an Amiibo so people care less.

I mean I wouldn't mind if the hard mode was Master Quest style because it at least remixes things to justify the 'difficulty'. I can't actually think of any other notable harder difficulties being behind another paywall.

Ridley327

Welp, that sucks.

I'm still disappointed that any Hard mode isn't unlocked from the get-go, even though that's how it's always been with Metroid/Zelda games.

Actually, I don't think there's been a single Metroid game where a harder difficulty was unlocked from the get-go, aside from the Prime Trilogy, which still had a harder difficulty to unlock after completing each game. Hell, Fusion has a straight-up region exclusive difficulty, since only Japan got a hard mode for that title.

Zelda is better about it, but it's still pretty spotty. You had to beat Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds to unlock Hero mode, but it's available from the get-go in the two HD remasters.

Madame M

Banned
I just saw someone on reddit literally say "I wish amiibos did more, but at the same time I wish they weren't like full dlc."

Nintendo is in a no win situation there.

The person on reddit probably wants Nintendo sex robots or something

I mean, I know exactly where the sweet spot is for me, but it's obviously not going to be for everyone.

Exclusive costumes like the fusion suit (but not the difficultly mode!) are what I would have amiibo do. The moment you start putting content that actually affects the gameplay experience is where I draw the line.

yuoke

Banned
I mean, I know exactly where the sweet spot is for me, but it's obviously not going to be for everyone.

Exclusive costumes like the fusion suit (but not the difficultly mode!) are what I would have amiibo do.

They gave just costumes in mk8, wooly world, and a few other games. People said they should do more.

In splatoon 1 they locked full challenge modes for that, yet I didn't really see complaints then.

Asd202

"Guys hard mode is in the game so it doesn't matter a harder difficulty is locked behind Amiibo"
wtf?

Berordn

Very confused by this post...

very confused

A lot of the outrage was sparked by not knowing if there was going to be a traditionally available hard mode, which has been a common series feature since Metroid Fusion, so this confirmation should quell much of that.

It doesn't help those who still feel like they're missing out because we still don't know exactly what Fusion mode entails.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
See I wanted to believe this. It's literally just unlocking the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime, except you can only use it on Hard. That's literally no fucking issue then since they're just offering a cosmetic change to people who bought the amiibo, hard mode's still accessible.

"Guys hard mode is in the game so it doesn't matter a harder difficulty is locked behind Amiibo"
wtf?

No they're saying Fusion Mode is Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit. Not that it's an even harder mode lol

Edit: Lmao, that Fusion skin looks like such an afterthought, I can't be mad at all

See I wanted to believe this. It's literally just unlocking the Fusion Suit in Metroid Prime, except you can only use it on Hard. That's literally no fucking issue then since they're just offering a cosmetic change to people who bought the amiibo, hard mode's still accessible.

No they're saying Fusion Mode is Hard Mode with the Fusion Suit. Not that it's an even harder mode lol
because fusion mode is very hard...not hard

keep up

here is the article linked in the OP
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-addresses-the-metroid-samus-returns-amiibo-controversy

Here is an edit made to it like 7 hours ago
Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode

kpaadet

It's a good thing we have posters like you to tell us why we found it shitty. They are locking a mode behind an amiibo, that is greedy and annoying.

CuNi

Ah, this feeling of having been right all along *claps hands*

Like I said in the other topic already, people exaggerate. You only miss bonus content, not the actual planned game content. You just have to deal with it that a SUPER HARD MODE is being part of it. you still get your hard mode like in all other Metroid games.

Edit: Lmao, that Fusion skin looks like such an afterthought, I can't be mad at all

It's not an afterthought : the difficultly mode behind the amiibo is "very hard" - and the fusion suit is used during it.

Like I said in the other topic already, people exaggerate. You only miss bonus content, not the actual planned game content. You just have to deal with it that a SUPER HARD MODE is being part of it. you still get your hard mode like in all other Metroid games.

"Being right all along" here meaning "Still being wrong". Yes, you predicted there is more than one difficultly. That does exactly zero to change the situation, or make it justifiable.

Even the clarification is a little vague. It's probably just exact regular hard mode with the fusion suit being the only difference.

But gaf gonna gaf.

Even the clarification is a little vague. It's probably just exact regular hard mode with the fusion suit being the only difference.

But gaf gonna gaf.

There has been clarification that it isn't that at all.

[quote="The article]Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode[/quote]

Khrno

What good news ? That Nintendo locked a costume and difficulty behind a 15 dollars toy ?

The costume is not really an issue, it is just cosmetics, but the difficulty and any type of gameplay locked behind a physical figure shouldn't be the case.

Jubenhimer

I still don't think the amiibo implementation in this game is good really. You have these super cool Samus amiibo custom made for the game, and the best use you can come up with, is a third difficulty locked behind them? That's not only cynical, but it reeks of laziness. If you wanted to do something cool with amiibo, maybe the Metroid one can summon a Metroid companion temporarily to make bosses a bit easier, or maybe the Samus one can give you a temporary healing boost. All I'm saying there are far better and less intrusive ways the developers could've used amiibo here. Instead it feels like they just took all the scraps left on the cutting room floor and just said "Ehh, I dunno, put em behind amiibo or something I don't care".

TheMoon

It's a good thing we have posters like you to tell us why we found it shitty. They are locking a mode behind an amiibo, that is greedy and annoying.

That was the general sentiment from the first outrage threads. Sorry if you missed it.

VeeP

Good news this should calm down people alot.

I don't see why Nintendo gets a pass for this. This is basically locked DLC on the disk, where you have to buy - sometimes a rare - fucking toy to unlock the content.

I really wanted the a classic Link costume for BOTW so I decided to look at some Amiibo's online. I saw the MSRP was $12+ and I was like it's a bit much, but I do have a gift card. I then proceeded to check every store in my location and it's sold out, and scampers are basically selling it for a lot more than it's original price.

It's bullshit. Bethesda got knocked for horse armor. Capcom got knocked for locked DLC on its disk. But people defend Nintendo's practice of locking shit behind Amiibos.

Edit: And I'm not talking about you specifically 13ruce, just fans who defend this shit or act (or make threads) like Nintendo doesn't shove micro transactions in our face. Nintendo is the worst out of the Big 3 on the DLC front.

I honestly can't tell if this a joke post. So Nintendo makes a harder mode and locks it behind probably a hard to find amiibo and it's okay, because "ITS BONUS CONTENT".

kpaadet

That was the general sentiment from the first outrage threads. Sorry if you missed it.
I was in those threads, people complained that an entire mode was behind an amiibo. It wasn't important that is was hard mode could also have been a time trial or boss rush or whatever. This doesn't change that, sorry you missed the point though.

Top Bottom