• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

kpaadet

Nekketsu Kõha;245674702 said:
Sure.

Now may I ask if it wouldn't be awesome if everyone else offered something like Amiibo?
Why wouldn't you think of Mother Nature, it can only handle so much plastic shit.

Sure.

Now may I ask if it wouldn't be awesome if everyone else offered something like Amiibo?

You're making the exact point that he was leading you to... It's not the idea of DLC being tied to Amiibo that most people are mad about, it's the idea that there's no other option to acquire said DLC.

If Nintendo were to offer the Amiibo DLC as just a download, I feel that we wouldn't have arguments like this. Instead, the Amiibo are hard to find AND there's no other option to play that content then.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They should really offer a trading card version of every amiibo figure for a cheaper price. Not everybody has the money or time to hunt for figurines.

Didn't they literally say they were going to do this.

Then they released the Animal Crossing cards instead.

Oersted

Amiibo are bad for the environment and encourage the needless consumption of non biodegradable plastic.

Chinese people die in the age of 40 for your [insert favourite gaming plattform of yours].

Its shit, no disagreement.

Didn't they literally say they were going to do this.

Then they released the Animal Crossing cards instead.

H2x1_3DS_MarioSportsSuperstars.jpg

Mario Sports only lol

Madame M

Banned
Chinese people die in the age of 40 for your [insert favourite gaming plattform of yours].

Its shit, no disagreement.

Sorry I don't control Chinese politics, I wish I did though that would be sweet I've always wanted to be a communist dictator.

Sure.

Sure. Separately!

Then people who like plastic figures can buy those.
People who like DLC can buy that.
People who like both can buy both.

There's no benefit in linking that.

Before you say "well, they repurpose some figures for DLC in future games!" In that case, do the same with a downloadable token. Make that enable future DLC just like the physical toys would. But honestly, I don't support the idea of purchasing into potential future DLC that you may or may not like, so if they'd just cut that entirely I'd be in favor of it. Lower the prices per DLC instead and people can choose exactly what they want.

Nerazar

Well, I wonder what the difference between Hard and Fusion Mode is. Maybe it would be smarter to have Fusion Mode unlock after Hard Mode or, as a shortcut, through that amiibo.

On the other hand: so many companies have DLC and with the amiibo system, you can unlock several things with only one purchase. Whereas when I buy a DLC for, say, GTA5, I will only be able to use it there.

This solution here is at least "just" half-bad.

flkraven

Sure.

No. Digital is easy and requires virtually no effort to offer. The infrastructure is literally all already in place. You just need to add the button 'buy'.

Expecting every developer to offer an 'Amiibo' option is ridiculous. Needlessly large cost and environmental footprints, requires building entirely new infrastructure, and it's a massive risks. I can assure you, if companies thought it would be profitable, they would do it, but nearly every other gaming co doesn't have the catalogue (or rabid fan base) that Nintendo does, so most of them would actually lose money with such an offering.

Do you genuinely believe that requesting Nintendo add a digital 'buy' button on this 'dlc' is as big an ask as requesting other game companies offer 'physical' dlc alternatives?

VDenter

Banned
You're making the exact point that he was leading you to... It's not the idea of DLC being tied to Amiibo that most people are mad about, it's the idea that there's no other option to acquire said DLC.

If Nintendo were to offer the Amiibo DLC as just a download, I feel that we wouldn't have arguments like this. Instead, the Amiibo are hard to find AND there's no other option to play that content then.

See now that would make too much sense. It would also decrease the "value" of his plastic toy so we obviously cant have that!

Lol No I am in fact agreeing with him and asking him a follow up question.

I am not against his opinion at all. I am even critical of the hard mode being locked behind this amiibo.

Nilaul

What bullshit! If they want they can lock a costume/skin/weapon behind an amiibo but not a freaking difficulty mode. Wouldn't even support this if this was a downloadable dlc.

Still not re preordering this.

Gator86

People are pretty shook about the only DLC I know of where you can recoup some of your costs by selling it back when you are done.

And the only DLC I know that comes with a cool collectible and works for multiple games.

This is nearing "it's great for the consumer Nintendo games never get cheaper" status.

Sure. Separately!

Then people who like plastic figures can buy those.
People who like DLC can buy that.
People who like both can buy both.

There's no benefit in linking that.

Before you say "well, they repurpose some figures for DLC in future games!" In that case, do the same with a downloadable token. Make that enable future DLC just like the physical toys would. But honestly, I don't support the idea of purchasing into potential future DLC that you may or may not like, so if they'd just cut that entirely I'd be in favor of it. Lower the prices per DLC instead and people can choose exactly what they want.

But both would be buying the amiibo though. As in amiibo is the toy and DLC.

Other than that I agree with you.

flkraven

Nekketsu Kõha;245675470 said:
Lol No I am in fact agreeing with him and asking him a follow up question.

I am not against his opinion at all. I am even critical of the hard mode being locked behind this amiibo.

Early in this thread I made these exact points. I said people should be able to get this digitally if they want, and I criticized hardmode being locked. You quoted me and said:

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

So are you just arguing for the sake of arguing then?

Early in this thread I made these exact points. I said people should be able to get this digitally if they want, and I criticized hardmode being locked. You quoted me and said:

So are you just arguing for the sake of arguing then?

Just went back and check. Actually quoted wrong person. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

flkraven

Nekketsu Kõha;245676136 said:
Just went back and check. Actually quoted wrong person. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

lol, so that's why we've spiraled out of control for the last 200+ posts :p

Why can't they just give a straight understandable answer for once?

Is fusion mode just hard mode with the suit?
Does the suit have gameplay changes that affect difficulty on its own?
Why is it a seperate mode when it is just hard mode + cosmetic suit?

I'm still confused...

lol, so that's why we've spiraled out of control for the last 200+ posts :p
Lol maybe why some nuance was lost on many. I am not defending the OP or saying DLC should only be amiibo. But I am saying I like them and prefer them vs other options.

Edit: went back and removed the quote.

ironmang

Why can't they just give a straight understandable answer for once?

Is fusion mode just hard mode with the suit?
Does the suit have gameplay changes that affect difficulty on its own?
Why is it a seperate mode when it is just hard mode + cosmetic suit?

I'm still confused...

The answer to your questions lies within a $15 plastic toy.

As I said in the other thread. Absolutely nothing to worry about. 🤣

Edit: Hope everyone who was complaining so hard likes crow.

The answer to your questions lies within a $15 plastic toy.

Nah I'll just wait for impressions to clear that up. It just baffles me that Nintendo can't or doesn't want to explain this themselves.

I've waited long for a new 2D Metroid. A few days more after release will be nothing.

See now that would make too much sense. It would also decrease the "value" of his plastic toy so we obviously cant have that!

The crazy thing about this idea is that it would ADD value to Amiibo! Paying $13 once would give you a figurine that unlocks content in multiple games. Paying for DLC separately could/would be $5-$10 per game!

TheMoon

This doesn't change anything
no. a lot has changed.

now:
base content to be expected from previous games (gallery, hard mode): in the base game
extra content on top of that (bonus gallery collections, Fusion-twist on hard mode): accessible through amiibo

before:
OMG base content to be expected from previous games (gallery, hard mode): not in the base game; instead now locked behind amiibo

Petrae

So, pretty much as we thought before the "clarification". Difficulty mode locked, other features locked behind plastic toys that scalpers and resellers will beat 80% of consumers to the punch to buy.

I think it's been clear that Nintendo is no more noble than any other publisher when it comes to post-purchase stuff. In fact, this amiibo-locked content makes Nintendo worse. DLC in other games is unlimited in quantity and those who wish to buy it to experience all that their games have to offer can do so.

If you want to do this in Samus Returns, you're gonna have to pay up dearly to a reseller, who can set the price wherever desired for the toy that unlocks the content. And resellers WILL know that they've got fans over a barrel once retail supply quickly sells out.

It sets a precedent for Nintendo to lock this kind of content behind amiibo in future games. Super Mario Odyssey? The next Zelda? Metroid Prime 4? It'll be interesting to see what content gets locked next.

Glix

This is nearing "it's great for the consumer Nintendo games never get cheaper" status.

No its not at all like that.

This is something that grants you DLC that you can sell back to gamestop. DLC that you can sell back.

Did I stutter?

OmegaFax

There's features and functionality stripped from a $40 game and sold separately with $20+ purchase.

I don't think there's been a single Nintendo release except for ARMS that doesn't do this. Nintendo's been doing this for a while. Even before Amiibo, there were other ways they've done this (e-Reader).

When Nintendo released Super Mario Advance 4 on Virtual Console, they simply loaded/unlocked the eReader levels. With Splatoon -> Splatoon 2, the challenges (i.e. single player campaign with different weapons) went from Amiibo unlock to something included in the final game for Splatoon 2. Even then, Nintendo found ways of keeping common sense features like favorite loadouts an Amiibo exclusive feature.

Just wanted to illustrate how arbitrary these card or Amiibo unlocks are and how easy they are to rectify.

Hey! Pikmin has a lot of bonus stages that can only be unlocked with Amiibo. The Pikmin Amiibo also serves as a "pay to win" mechanism because it's the only way to start a level with a certain amount of Pikmin already summoned.

I always thought that selling Amiibo unlocks as paid DLC would be a weird accounting conundrum because there would be no way to quantify "sales" since Amiibo have multiple uses or none outside of their featured game.

It's actually a bad thing that amiibo work across multiple games, since the games usually come out far apart. It means that long-discontinued amiibo suddenly skyrocket in aftermarket price and people buying the later game are fucked out of content.

LordRaptor

There's features and functionality stripped from a $40 game and sold separately with $20+ purchase.

No, there are features that are developed based on expected revenues from additional purchases.
If you think people make a game then start chopping bits out to save for later, you are fundamentally misunderstanding how development works, and are getting unreasonably angry about things you shouldn't.

I mean, DLC has been around long enough that I assumed people understood this by now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's actually a bad thing that amiibo work across multiple games, since the games usually come out far apart. It means that long-discontinued amiibo suddenly skyrocket in aftermarket price and people buying the later game are fucked out of content.

Secondhand amiibo can be found dirt cheap all over the place.

Ridley327

Those "bonus stages" are just an empty room with the scanned amiibo.

And they're all reused puzzle rooms that the game already has. The only "unique" content is the Amiibo figure in the game itself, which is worth the same as any other treasure you come across in those rooms. It's rather marginal content, to say the least.

They clearly spent more time on the admittedly funny flavor text for them than the implementation.

Top Bottom