• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

kunonabi

The moment you said toy, I saw red.

I'd take anything over having to own a toy. Any benefits in game don't outweigh having to have the toy. Literally everything you just said is irrelevant after that one word.

Especially one that's hard to find. But Nintendo could just, like, offer both digital and figurine? Shocking I know.

So you because you find no value in the figure Nintendo should just completely reshape their entire model? Yeah, that isnt entitled and childish as hell.

Gator86

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

Dangerous amount of shilling here. "I will only take my disc-locked content in the form of hard to find shitty figurines!"

Vena

That's what I'm ultimately expecting, which is maybe not a complete nullification of what Nintendo has done in terms of cordoning off content, but takes the sting out with what's actually being offered.

Well, the thing with the Hard Modes is that all they do is scale damage/health in Metroid. So it's not like it actually offers anything discretely unique, and since the whole idea is to generally avoid and learn to snake past enemies (since time is a crucial metric of success in the series), the modes are usually *the same* aside from potentially tilted bosses where you can't just run past the enemy.

In which case, the only thing Fusion Mode is going to add is either *more* multipliers on damage and health which could potentially become unfun/boring/broken based on base-game balance, or its going to have to do *something* different from what is usually defined as a Hard Mode in Metroid.

I don't like the idea of having to purchase a physical item to get to unlock content that I really want. Ignoring the fact that Amiibo supply is usually shit when it first comes out I just decluttered 30 years of my life and I don't want to start adding stuff that I have no desire to own back.

Marcel

You could calm the divide between physical toy fanboys who want their exclusives and people who just want the digital game content without the toy by just putting a clear window of exclusivity on the Amiibo-related content. Maybe unlock the content for everyone to purchase on the Eshop after six months or something.

I know this probably isn't the greatest solution but Amiibos aren't going to be produced forever so they're going to have to figure something out.

So they fixed the problem yet everyone is still mad
They didn't fix the problem. They just communicated for once. The problem is now clearer, but not fixed.

So you because you find no value in the figure Nintendo should just completely reshape their entire model? Yeah, that isnt entitled and childish as hell.

It not that I find no value, it's that I find negative value. I find this whole business model so utterly repulsive and anti consumer I'm astounded that you're accusing me of being entitled.

Who exactly benefits from the situation? Nintendo doesn't win. I don't win. Scalpers win? Nerds obsessed with exclusive content win, I guess?

_Ryo_

I dont really see how this news changing anything? People were upset that an entire game mode is being locked away in an Amiibo and that you could not purchase it separately via DLC. That is still the case. Amiibo still have limited quantities and extremely varying prices reflected by the rarity of each Amiibo.

What problem did they fix? All they did was communicate and reaffirm that their ideas for Amibo are disgusting and the worst type of DLC created.

You have to buy a toy which is likely to be sold out and price gouged to hell elsewhere in order to unlock a significant part of the game.

The problem is not fixed.

This part should be added to the OP:

Code:
Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to [B]make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode[/B]

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

I'm not sure this is a correct use of the word "superior". Amiibo not being lootcrate bollocks doesn't make it a justifiable thing (and if you meant just season passes, A) Nintendo already does that and B) It's worse than season passes anyway, even if it's just by virtue of those being limited and amiibo availability being sporadic at best).

So they fixed the problem yet everyone is still mad

They didn't fix anything. The situation hasn't changed at all. The hardest mode is still locked behind an additional amiibo purchase, whether or not a different intermediate difficulty is included in the game.

I think they are the only sane possibile rules. But I might be wrong. If you don't agree, I'm listening. Otherwise the alternative is blaming every videogame company for every DLC, amiibo and expansion since they could have included their content for free

In an ideal world, your rules would be sane. In our world, they are requiring you to put your trust in a company that exists only to make money.

I have no problem with paid dlc. My hang up is that they are locking it behind something that sold out long before release. That is just stupid. Everything else around that one aspect is just, whatever. But, that is something so stupid I can't even comprehend it.

KayMote

It obviously sucks that a mode is locked behind such a paywall like this Amiibo, but honestly: I don't care too much about it. I'm just happy that a normal hard mode is included.

I had already lost the thread on your argument, and now you've decided it would be best argued through sarcastic mockery.

Seriously, how is paying $15 for a hard mode good?

It isn't. You guys lack any ability at nuance and resort to hyperbole all the time. Perhaps take a step back and look at what we have here, people saying Nintendo fans are nuts and enjoy being exploited and more and that all amiibo is worse than anything else and other stupid nonsense.

so your point now shifted to its ok what nintendo is pulling because spoofing devices exist? alrighty then, enough for me

That in combination with some of the content only existing because of the amiibos was my point from the beginning since in an earlier thread it was decided that because they don't use Nintendo code they are A-ok, it's not my fault that you aren't reading.

The very first use of amiibo was used to lock an adaptive hard ai fighter in Smash Bros. Amiibo having major exclusive content isn't something new and I'm not sure why people decided samus returns was the straw that broke the camels back

Shovel Knights exclusive coop mode, abilities, and challenge levels
Codename steams exclusvie 4 playable characters
Chibi robo exclusive stages
Botw exclusive ai companion and costumes
Splatoon exclusive single player content and costumes
Entire modes in amiibo festival and mario party 10

I don't recall people being 20 pages on gaf upset about these amiibo exclusive features.

I dont really see how this news changing anything? People were upset that an entire game mode is being locked away in an Amiibo and that you could not purchase it separately via DLC. That is still the case. Amiibo still have limited quantities and extremely varying prices reflected by the rarity of each Amiibo.

A lot of people assumed Fusion Mode was the only hard mode available, when traditionally Metroid games have a hard mode unlocked after beating the game. So if that was the case, this would be taking a standard feature from the series and locking it behind an Amiibo.

Now we know it's an extra mode that hasn't existed before, which makes it a bit better but still pretty shitty.

LeonSPBR

Nekketsu Kõha;245671466 said:
If that is true then that is something I really don't like, I didn't know that. I don't play either of those games.

BotW season pass costs $20 and Shadow of Valentia season pass costs $45. Mario Kart 8 has a season pass as well. Nintendo is just like everyone and this BS of amiibo content locked is just a stupid way for it to have more value.

KingBroly

Banned
The very first use of amiibo was used to lock an adaptive hard ai fighter in Smash Bros. Amiibo having major exclusive content isn't something new and I'm not sure why people decided samus returns was the straw that broke the camels back

Shovel Knights exclusive coop mode

I don't recall people being 20 pages on gaf upset about these amiibo exclusive features.

They changed Shovel Knight's amiibo functionality to something...a lot worse, lol

Amiibo Festival is only sold WITH the amiibo.

None of the BotW stuff is the best equipment in the game.

Everything else I can't excuse, though

Eumi

Nekketsu Kõha;245671798 said:
It isn't. You guys lack any ability at nuance and resort to hyperbole all the time. Perhaps take a step back and look at what we have here, people saying Nintendo fans are nuts and enjoy being exploited and more and that all amiibo is worse than anything else and other stupid nonsense.
Ok, nice attack on my intelligence.

So can I ask again? Why is an amiibo better than offering the content seperately for cheaper? Which you have stated previously in this thread when you said you prefer it to what the other companies are doing.

L Thammy

This is where I'm at. I understand the problems with what is more-or-less a DLC scheme but tied to merchandise that's hard to get a hold of. But that's not really new to Amiibo, right?

Your policing of peoples opinions is more irritating than people just venting in the thread, tbh.

Nintendo doesn't need you defending them against internet nasties. So you can stop making derailing false equivalences with season passes (which no one in here is defending and few on this board like) and move on.

I haven't played Nintendo games in a few years. But apparently I'm not allowed to be annoyed at something now because I wasn't a few years ago?

Plus I like Metroid a lot more.

Bowl0l

Don't support the 3DS Amiibo model so that the Metroid Switch version is not gimped?
@Nintendo, message received.

Rncewind

That in combination with some of the content only existing because of the amiibos was my point from the beginning since in an earlier thread it was decided that because they don't use Nintendo code they are A-ok, it's not my fault that you aren't reading.

And since the starting point of this post was you cant not even remotly proof what is content that is created through amiibo and what isnt its still nonsense

1. You just show how nintendo is shitting the bed with this practice, i hope you are aware of that 2. i know at least that one of your claims is bullshit because there was a thread about amiibo festival and mario party 10

but whatever nintendo seemed to etablished the mindset this ok so no sense to bother here i guess, it was already hard to argue to begin with. Nice whatabotism atleast

Madame M

Banned
It obviously sucks that a mode is locked behind such a paywall like this Amiibo, but honestly: I don't care too much about it. I'm just happy that a normal hard mode is included.

Yeah, too bad you have to play on easy first just to have the game spoiled in a cakewalk, thus diminishing some of the joy of having a hard mode option in the first place.

So basically it sounds like this will continue until people stop buying Amiibos. I'm all for a boycott.

And I really liked the use in Smash to be honest... but that's about it.

Yeah, too bad you have to play on easy first just to have the game spoiled in a cakewalk, thus diminishing some of the joy of having a hard mode option in the first place.

Isn't that how all (or most) Metroid games have worked though? The hard difficulty isn't unlocked until you beat it in normal... this Amiibo nonsense doesn't change anything about that.

Why is it hyperbole to say that amiibo is worse than other DLC? Having to carry around a piece of plastic that you might have had to pay $40 on eBay for is demonstrably worse than waiting for a sale on a season pass.

Also DLC models from other publishers are typically some form of new content, not a difficulty or a sound test or an art gallery that have been basic inclusions in games for decades.

Owari

Ah, I thought this was about adding the amiibo functionality to the game. My bad. They should just release the DLC at $15.

This part should be added to the OP:

Code:
Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to [B]make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode[/B]

There it is.

Ah, I thought this was about adding the amiibo functionality to the game. My bad. They should just release the DLC at $15.

This shouldn't be DLC at all (let alone for a 240p game at 40 bucks - at this condition this needed to be absolutely feature complete without on-disc DLC). It's telling that people would now prefer to take the lesser evil, just because Nintendo found a way too make this kind of thing even worse.

Why is it hyperbole to say that amiibo is worse than other DLC? Having to carry around a piece of plastic that you might have had to pay $40 on eBay for is demonstrably worse than waiting for a sale on a season pass.

Also DLC models from other publishers are typically some form of new content, not a difficulty or a sound test or an art gallery that have been basic inclusions in games for decades.

Your argument is only nuanced if you agree with him. Otherwise you're just hyperbolic.

_Ryo_

A lot of people assumed Fusion Mode was the only hard mode available, when traditionally Metroid games have a hard mode unlocked after beating the game. So if that was the case, this would be taking a standard feature from the series and locking it behind an Amiibo.

Now we know it's an extra mode that hasn't existed before, which makes it a bit better but still pretty shitty.

Even if you believed that Fusion mode was the only hard mode that does not negate the logic on why they believed it to be a bad thing. At the core they believed that locking a mode behind a toy you have to pay for that is sold out and has extremely limited quantities,and will cost much more money than the official price in the end for most people, is at its core a bad thing. If you decide that that is okay just because the game has a mode you didnt know it already has in it then you then have an error in your logic because the situation does not really change at all.

They changed Shovel Knight's amiibo functionality to something...a lot worse, lol

Amiibo Festival is only sold WITH the amiibo.

None of the BotW stuff is the best equipment in the game.

Everything else I can't excuse, though

Yes but if you want to do 4 player in amiibo festival you still had to buy 2 more amiibo, and if you wanted to play as kk slider you had to get an expensive 3 pack. That doesn't even discuss the island survival mode tied to blind amiibo card packs.

And since the starting point of this post was you cant not closely proof what is content that is created through amiibo and what isnt its still nonsense

1. Your just show how nintendo is shitting the bed with this practice, i hope you are aware of that 2. i know at least that one of your claims is bullshit because there was a thread about amiibo festival and mario party 10

but whatever nintendo seemed to etablished the mindset this ok so no sense to bother here i guess, it was already hard to argue to begin with. Nice whatabotism atleast

I'm not saying its okay, just that it's been around in far more egregious examples then what Samus Returns is doing. I've always been of the mindset that I want amiibos to have tangible stuff behind them, but to also let people gain access to that content by a digital dlc option as well IE get the metroid and samus amiibo to unlock fusion mode + art gallery OR pay $15-20 for the "samus returns season pass" to unlock the same content without them. The fact they don't is why I think its okay for people to "pirate amiibo" for the content.

flkraven

BotW season pass costs $20 and Shadow of Valentia season pass costs $45. Mario Kart 8 has a season pass as well. Nintendo is just like everyone and this BS of amiibo content locked is just a stupid way for it to have more value.

Yup. Amiibo are actually more of a substitute for microtransactions in general, while DLC and season passes can still exist.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a season pass?

I think it for sure adds value to the amiibo. I wouldn't buy them if all they were was toys.

I prefer it however vs other models and I don't even feel tempted to buy them all, I didn't need 3 Amiibos for splatoon for 3 different sets of cosmetics.

Madame M

Banned
Isn't that how all (or most) Metroid games have worked though? The hard difficulty isn't unlocked until you beat it in normal... this Amiibo nonsense doesn't change anything about that.

It's been a Nintendo trend for a while now and I'm sick of it, but yeah I think some of the Metroid Primes had unlockable hard modes

Nekketsu Kõha;245672426 said:

I think it for sure adds value to the amiibo. I wouldn't buy them if all they were was toys.

I prefer it however vs other models and I don't even feel tempted to buy them all, I didn't need 3 Amiibos for splatoon for 3 different sets of cosmetics.

He said Mario Kart 8, not Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Splatoon 2 is even worse than this, you need amiibo to access fucking preset loadouts lol

Type40

The amiibo are pretty great, if people really cared about that extra content they would buy the corresponding figures. I hope that more gets locked away for us that are actually loyal and buy everything.

VDenter

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245672426 said:

You know very well that he meant the original Mario Kart 8. Breath of the Wild also has a 20 dollar expansion pass. Smash Bros did too. You can stop playing dumb now.

Ok, nice attack on my intelligence.

So can I ask again? Why is an amiibo better than offering the content seperately for cheaper? Which you have stated previously in this thread when you said you prefer it to what the other companies are doing.

It isn't an attack on your intelligence but refusal ah you know what. Forget it. You even follow up with a question already asked and answered more than once in the thread and you acknowledge that I have yet still ask lol

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh, a negative thread about Nintendo.

Checks to see if the usual suspects have arrived.

"Most posts by user Nekketsu Kõha"

Orbital must be sleeping.

I just wish that Nintendo sold the dlc separately instead of requiring me to buy an a stupid Amiibo. And I say that as someone who has 40 amiibo.

Rncewind

Nekketsu Kõha;245672628 said:
It isn't an attack on your intelligence but refusal ah you know what. Forget it. You even follow up with a question already asked and answered more than once in the thread and you acknowledge that I have yet still ask lol

You didnt answer anything, you were harping on how amiibos are the bestest dlc evers and not shitty like season passes while nintendo games have both.

We know tho.

if you say so it must be true! Have you insider info when prime 4 comes out?

Ok then this I find acceptable.

I paid out $20 for Master mode on Zelda anyway. I'll take the free hard mode.
So because the same company did the same shitty thing in the past, you're cool with it from now on?

I didn't buy the BOTW pass, I won't buy this (or at least Nintendo will never see a dime from my purchase). Locking standard features to DLC is bad enough, but Amiibo are the worst possible implementation of on-disc DLC I can imagine. Enough is enough. I'll buy every Nintendo game with significant Amiibo content used, and I'll get a spoofer.

Top Bottom