• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

OCD Guy

Locking hard mode behind beating easy mode is also a really dumb practice, what a waste of time. What if you want the whole experience to be hard from the moment you start playing it?

You're not paying for it though are you.

People wouldn't complain if you had to complete Metroid on every difficulty level to access fusion mode.

Anyway this thread is starting to go down the shitter, just like the other one....

The reason people say it's worse is firstly because using your example with steam, they can't run out of dlc. But stock of amiibos can run out.

Secondly dlc works out more expensive for those who have no interest in the amiibo itself. Say if I am interested in a cosmetic item, having to buy the amiibo costs me more than if it was available on the eshop.

As someone that seems to see the positive on amiibo, what is your opinion on making that content available separately on the eshop for people with no interest in the plastic figurine?
So you got an entire game not chopped up into 2 season passes separate DLC day one and loads of bs but oh now you didn't get one piece of cosmetics and that costs an entire 15 dollars and is a physical toy you can do whatever with in the future. How awful /s

flkraven

Nekketsu Kõha;245670030 said:
Only way I can access DLC for my games on Steam is to buy DLC on Steam.

What is bullshit is people saying amiibo is worse than what others offer
. I can understand if upset about amiibo being sold out or scalpers (don't run into that here.) But besides Nintendo failing to meet demand the product is far superior.

Dude are you being intentionally dense? This thread is about Samus Returns having a difficulty setting that is locked behind someone buying a piece of fucking plastic.

a) It's a difficulty setting. Why is that locked behind DLC? but more importantly...

b) If I don't want a damn plastic figure, or if my area doesn't have stock, why can't I just purchase this item digitally?

It is CLEARLY worse. I have no idea how you can say otherwise.

Madame M

Banned

People wouldn't complain if you had to complete Metroid on every difficulty level to access fusion mode.

Anyway this thread is starting to go down the shitter, just like the other one....

Yes, I am paying for it by buying the game. Don't make me slog through easy, I've done it before and I'm tired of it.

Vena

Is that screenshot from a couple pages back legit? If so, that is a shockingly low effort reskin that doesn't even conform to what the Fusion suit is supposed to look like.

You'd need to redo the model entirely for the Fusion Suit, not just a skin. This is more of a (low effort) re-coloration of the base Power Suit model. They'd also have to redo the death animation since the Power Suit isn't bonded to Samus and "breaks off" if she dies/losses power, but the Fusion Suit is, in no pretty terms, a part of her body at the start of Fusion and can't just "pop off".

We should ask ourselves if the content locked behind the amiibo (or a digital DLC) would have been included for everyone if amiibo and DLC weren't possible. In BotW case it's hard to imagine Wolf Link in an amiibo-less world. And since no Metroid has ever hard a harder-than-Hard-Mode difficult setting, we can conclude than Fusion Mode was developed only because amiibo exist.

Also please remember we don't know what Fusion Mode. It might be a mere reskin. It might be a de-facto whole new game with a new map layout and exclusive enemies. So let's wait.

You are setting rules that a lot of people won't agree to, largely because it is literally unknowable and it requires you to put your faith in a billion dollar corporation to oporate honestly.

I don't know how hard(est) mode came to be and why they decided to lock it behind an amiibo. I also don't care. They are aware of how scarce these things can be at launch, so locking actual content behind it is stupid. Put the shit up as digital dlc so everyone can enjoy it without needing a spoofer or to pay scalpers their lot. Making actual game content rare is fucking nonsense.

Feffe

So because you don't care about losing something that was free then it's okay. 🙄🙄
It's not. I said that's in practice it's not not big deal for me. I've also said Nintendo can be blame for it.

Look, if you write an open letter to Nintendo against the art gallery locked behind an amiibo I'll sign it. But I'll sleep the night anyway :)

Phu

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245670248 said:
You don't need an excuse to ignore me. I am simply expressing my opinion and how I see this and what I see is a bunch of hyperbole by the usual posters that enter every Nintendo related thread.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason based upon the posts you've made in this thread.

OCD Guy

Locking hard mode behind beating easy mode is also a really dumb practice, what a waste of time. What if you want the whole experience to be hard from the moment you start playing it?

The issue has gone past the point of paying for dlc though, it's the fact that dlc is locked behind an expensive plastic figurine.

It's funny how things change, as years ago people would have gone insane at having to pay for a difficulty level in the form of dlc, but we're at a stage where people are mad that they can't buy a difficulty level dlc separately lol.

flkraven

Nekketsu Kõha;245670582 said:
So you got an entire game not chopped up into 2 season passes separate DLC day one and loads of bs but oh now you didn't get one piece of cosmetics and that costs an entire 15 dollars and is a physical toy you can do whatever with in the future. How awful /s

Have you owned anything other than a Nintendo console?

Gestault

Just watched the preview of the game on the gamexplain channel and they said fusion mode is an harder difficulty than hard mode. So yeah we're still getting fucked.

I'm not happy with that additional layer of info. It also comes across as an additional layer of insincerity. They're really motivated to not clarify any of this in a head-on way.

The reason people say it's worse is firstly because using your example with steam, they can't run out of dlc. But stock of amiibos can run out.

Secondly dlc works out more expensive for those who have no interest in the amiibo itself. Say if I am interested in a cosmetic item, having to buy the amiibo costs me more than if it was available on the eshop.

As someone that seems to see the positive on amiibo, what is your opinion on making that content available separately on the eshop for people with no interest in the plastic figurine?

Nintendo seem intent on giving people choice, a million different controller options, and now a million different ways of playing the Switch, but no choice when it comes to giving people ways to access dlc...

Many times the content is created for the amiibo, is content that wouldn't exists otherwise. And is free because for some reason spoofing amiibos isn't not considered piracy so there is that too.

Eumi

Nekketsu Kõha;245670582 said:
I had already lost the thread on your argument, and now you've decided it would be best argued through sarcastic mockery.

Seriously, how is paying $15 for a hard mode good?

Ridley327

You'd need to redo the model entirely for the Fusion Suit, not just a skin. This is more of a (low effort) re-coloration of the base Power Suit model. They'd also have to redo the death animation since the Power Suit isn't bonded to Samus and "breaks off" if she dies/losses power, but the Fusion Suit is, in no pretty terms, a part of her body at the start of Fusion and can't just "pop off".

Yeah, I guess I was expecting something more elaborate than a reskin. Even though I've got the Amiibo 2-pack on pre-order, the difficulty adjustments for Fusion mode had better be damn good from the stock hard mode, because the character model isn't doing crap for me.

Feffe

You are setting rules that a lot of people won't agree to, largely because it is literally unknowable and it rewuires you to put your faith in a billion dollar corporation to oporate honestly.
I think they are the only sane possibile rules. But I might be wrong. If you don't agree, I'm listening. Otherwise the alternative is blaming every videogame company for every DLC, amiibo and expansion since they could have included their content for free

Madame M

Banned

The issue has gone past the point of paying for dlc though, it's the fact that dlc is locked behind an expensive plastic figurine.

It's funny how things change, as years ago people would have gone insane at having to pay for a difficulty level in the form of dlc, but we're at a stage where people are mad that they can't buy a difficulty level dlc separately lol.

I'm not talking about Fusion Mode dingus, are you even reading my posts? No wonder this thread is going down the shitter.

OCD Guy

Have you owned anything other than a Nintendo console?

I give up with him. I asked him a civil question about how he would feel if dlc was sold separately for those that have no interest in a plastic toy and he resorts to that tone.

There are two people in this thread that are bordering on trolling, or really are part of a Nintendo defense force.

I'm not talking about Fusion Mode dingus, are you even reading my posts? No wonder this thread is going down the shitter.

You're trying to be "funny" and likening hard not being available immediately as the same as what Nintendo are doing locking a mode behind dlc.

Anyway I'll leave you to be a big man resorting to name calling behind a keyboard. Dingus too? lol

Rncewind

It's not. I said that's in practice it's not not big deal for me. I've also said Nintendo can be blame for it.

Look, if you write an open letter to Nintendo against the art gallery locked behind an amiibo I'll sign it. But I'll sleep the night anyway :)

But can you sleep at night tho when defending nintendo in threads for things, that you self stated, that you even dont care?

KingBroly

Banned
Many times the content is created for the amiibo, is content that wouldn't exists otherwise. And is free because for some reason spoofing amiibos isn't not considered piracy so there is that too.

The Gallery is something that has existed before and most assuredly would exist if amiibo didn't.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nekketsu Kõha;245670848 said:
Nope. But then they would probably start doing what the others are.

What, sensible decisions with their online infrastructure?

That'd be a nice change of pace, yes.

Vena

Yeah, I guess I was expecting something more elaborate than a reskin. Even though I've got the Amiibo 2-pack on pre-order, the difficulty adjustments for Fusion mode had better be damn good from the stock hard mode, because the character model isn't doing crap for me.

Its probably just going to be Hard Mode + you take extreme damage from cold or something.

In general I kind of appreciate that Nintendo tries to walk a fine tightrope with amiibo by trying to make DLC enticing, but not too enticing, but at their core I always have and always will dislike the premise. I also feel like a lot of the appeal has almost nothing to do with serving as DLC unlock mechanisms and that it's almost unnecessary to go this route at all.

The rest of the TTL market is on death's door, so I kind of question their longterm popularity. If it were up to me I'd welcome amiibo sticking around, but would prefer the option to buy certain content separate from having to buy a plastic toy.

LeonSPBR

Nekketsu Kõha;245670848 said:
Nope. But then they would probably start doing what the others are.

They are doing what others already does, or did you forget BotW and Fire Emblem: Shadow of Valentia has season pass???

Nekketsu Kõha;245668954 said:
Cheap toy with few things locked away that is nice, retains value, can be sold or traded even given away and can be used in the future and sometimes for many games and you know what it is. Also saves stuff has uses beyond DLC.

vs

Season pass way more expensive, not sure what you get, locks away more content, only works for that game, can't be traded or sold, stops working at some point.

The moment you said toy, I saw red.

I'd take anything over having to own a toy. Any benefits in game don't outweigh having to have the toy. Literally everything you just said is irrelevant after that one word.

Especially one that's hard to find. But Nintendo could just, like, offer both digital and figurine? Shocking I know.

Dude are you being intentionally dense? This thread is about Samus Returns having a difficulty setting that is locked behind someone buying a piece of fucking plastic.

a) It's a difficulty setting. Why is that locked behind DLC? but more importantly...

b) If I don't want a damn plastic figure, or if my area doesn't have stock, why can't I just purchase this item digitally?

It is CLEARLY worse. I have no idea how you can say otherwise.

I am not a fan of this. Just prefer it over the alternatives speaking about DLC in general but despite that I think it is bad locking away a difficulty mode.

Try not to be so dense yourself.

In general I kind of appreciate that Nintendo tries to walk a fine tightrope with amiibo by trying to make DLC enticing, but not too enticing, but at their core I always have and always will dislike the premise. I also feel like a lot of the appeal has almost nothing to do with serving as DLC unlock mechanisms and that it's almost unnecessary to go this route at all.

The rest of the TTL market is on death's door, so I kind of question their longterm popularity. If it were up to me I'd welcome amiibo sticking around, but would prefer the option to buy certain content separate from having to buy a plastic toy.

Imagine how easy this would be. And how happy everyone would be.

Like, just imagine!

Ridley327

Its probably just going to be Hard Mode + you take extreme damage from cold or something.

That's what I'm ultimately expecting, which is maybe not a complete nullification of what Nintendo has done in terms of cordoning off content, but takes the sting out with what's actually being offered.

Eumi

Nekketsu Kõha;245671146 said:
I am not a fan of this. Just prefer it over the alternatives speaking about DLC in general but despite that I think it is bad locking away a difficulty mode.

Try not to be so dense yourself.
Again, why? Why is paying more for dlc that can run out better than paying less for dlc that can never run out?

oti

Banned

You know what would be great? A Digital Nintendo Amiibo Card Album. That way you can just buy the DLC and get a card for your system wide album app. They could even design an achievement system around this. That way they can still combine additional content with the Amiibo brand and one wouldn't have to buy a plastic toy if they don't want to.

What, sensible decisions with their online infrastructure?

That'd be a nice change of pace, yes.
I think Nintendo is far behind in online and it was one and remains my biggest gripe about them.

Not sure why you bring that up other than to start a general shitathlon on Nintendo rant.

Feffe

But can you sleep at night tho when defending nintendo in threads for things, that you self stated, that you even dont care?
If you look at my post history you'll find I've never defended Nintendo for the art gallery. In fact I think I've never mentioned the art gallery before today.

If you look at my post history I've said that Fusion Mode might not be the only Hard Mode and everyone was jumping to conclusion. And I was right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just watched the preview of the game on the gamexplain channel and they said fusion mode is an harder difficulty than hard mode. So yeah we're still getting fucked.

Well that clears it up.

Well, shame it isn't just a neat bonus costume then.

Can't really defend this.

This would solve basically everyone's issues with Amiibo and probably not even make too much of a dent in Nintendo's Amiibo revenue. It would probably make a dent in scalper revenue though.

But in this case it's still a bit bullshitty to lock an additional hard mode behind DLC in general. Depends on how it's different from the normal hard mode I guess.

KarmaCow

It's bad enough they're locking shit behind amiibos but it really annoys me that they're locking it behind new amiibos (and one only available in a two pack no less). Fuck that.

Madame M

Banned
You're trying to be "funny" and likening hard not being available immediately as the same as what Nintendo are doing locking a mode behind dlc.

No, you just projected your insecurities about the issue onto my post. That's pretty "funny."

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Nekketsu Kõha;245671278 said:
I think Nintendo is far behind in online and it was one and remains my biggest gripe about them.

Not sure why you bring that up other than to start a general shitathlon on Nintendo rant.

Because all you've been doing is comparing this to the DLC methods other companies seem to do, even though Nintendo is basically doing all of that and then some.

frankMX

This reminds me of E-card on GBA,I think with super mario advanced 4 you have to use E–card to unlock some levels right? I think this time nintendo is doing a similar thing with Amiibo.Correct me if I am wrong.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Again, why? Why is paying more for dlc that can run out better than paying less for dlc that can never run out?

Because you can get a sweet little 2" statue that you bought off a scalper for 4-5x what it originally cost because it sold out due to limited quantities!

Top Bottom