• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

Even if you believed that Fusion mode was the only hard mode that does not negate the logic on why they believed it to be a bad thing. At the core they believed that locking a mode behind a toy you have to pay for that is sold out and has extremely limited quantities,and will cost much more money than the official price in the end for most people, is at its core a bad thing. If you decide that that is okay just because the game has a mode you didnt know it already has in it then you then have an error in your logic because the situation does not really change at all.

I mean, there are basically two layers of bad here. One is locking a difficulty mode behind any sort of DLC. People originally thought that Metroid's standard hard mode would be locked behind DLC, which would have been fairly outrageous because it's a staple of the series.

Then you add the Amiibo layer to that. Obviously it's still annoying that this mode is locked behind DLC, but it's magnified when that DLC is expensive, tied to a physical object, and can be hard to actually acquire.

So those people now see that this is a different mode than the traditional hard mode, so the traditional hard mode is not locked behind DLC at all. That feels better because it would be an incomplete package if it did not have all of the features previously seen in the series. Now it appears they have made a brand new mode that the series hasn't seen before and decided to charge for that. Still annoying but not as bad as carving up existing features.

Now add the Amiibo layer to that. Like you said, it's still tied to an expensive, (potentially) hard to find physical purchase, so that part hasn't changed.

But now (some) people feel better about the mode being behind any sort of DLC whatsoever since it's not a traditional mode that's being charged extra for, but a brand new one.

Oh, a negative thread about Nintendo.

Checks to see if the usual suspects have arrived.

"Most posts by user Nekketsu Kõha"

Orbital must be sleeping.

I just wish that Nintendo sold the dlc separately instead of requiring me to buy an a stupid Amiibo. And I say that as someone who has 40 amiibo.

As someone who likes to keep Amiibo in their original packaging, I agree with this sentiment. It bums me out that I miss out on all this in-game content tied to things I already own.

LeonSPBR

Nekketsu Kõha;245672426 said:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a season pass?

I think it for sure adds value to the amiibo. I wouldn't buy them if all they were was toys.

I prefer it however vs other models and I don't even feel tempted to buy them all, I didn't need 3 Amiibos for splatoon for 3 different sets of cosmetics.

MK8 for WiiU had not the Deluxe version.

Also nice that you enjoy having others being fucked just so your figurine has extra Value.

Don't forget not all 3ds scan amiibo so unless you have a N3ds you can't even use the amiibo to get the extra crap that you bought.

Do hope you enjoy buying Season Pass, Amiibo and sometime soon microtransactions(some Nintendo mobile game already have them) on your games.

Peltz

Well, the thing with the Hard Modes is that all they do is scale damage/health in Metroid. So it's not like it actually offers anything discretely unique, and since the whole idea is to generally avoid and learn to snake past enemies (since time is a crucial metric of success in the series), the modes are usually *the same* aside from potentially tilted bosses where you can't just run past the enemy.

In which case, the only thing Fusion Mode is going to add is either *more* multipliers on damage and health which could potentially become unfun/boring/broken based on base-game balance, or its going to have to do *something* different from what is usually defined as a Hard Mode in Metroid.
In Metroid zero mission, hard mode increases damage output of enemies, increases hp of bosses, decreases HP gained from tanks, and decreases max ammo gained from weapon upgrades.

Basically, it's the only balanced way to play because the game is otherwise too easy.

Arkeband

Banned
The day when these can just be spoofed on a widely available and legal tool cannot come soon enough. When the solution is "go borrow one from a friend", enough is enough.

People can still buy their poorly made figurines and everyone else can get the full game they paid for.

Yeah, too bad you have to play on easy first just to have the game spoiled in a cakewalk, thus diminishing some of the joy of having a hard mode option in the first place.
So you are saying the entire Metroid series have been “cakewalks”, so easy it spoils the experience? You are either saying that, or saying that for some reason Nintendo made this game far easier than every other Metroid game in the series. Because they’ve never once offered hard mode before beating the game, and in some cases you needed to beat the game at 100%, and in the first three games there was no hard mode except to choose to pick up as few things as possible.

The existence of an optional unlockable hard mode does not mean the normal mode is “easy mode”.

kadotsu

Banned
The day when these can just be spoofed on a widely available and legal tool cannot come soon enough. When the solution is "go borrow one from a friend", enough is enough.

Those tools are already legal and available. Copying the encrypted amiibo data is piracy, though.

You know very well that he meant the original Mario Kart 8. Breath of the Wild also has a 20 dollar expansion pass. Smash Bros did too. You can stop playing dumb now.

No I didn't know very well because I didn't have Mario Kart 8 on a Wii U and I legit asked the question nicely and as a follow up to an ongoing nice conversation where I learned things I didn't know.

So no I am not dumb or playing dumb but I am going to put you on ignore.

Edit: smash bros didn't.

if you say so it must be true! Have you insider info when prime 4 comes out?

We know for sure that sound test and gallery don't exist because of amiibo since those were present in previous games right? If that it's true it's possible to use that same premise to find likely candidates of the opposite

I just wish that Nintendo sold the dlc separately instead of requiring me to buy an a stupid Amiibo. And I say that as someone who has 40 amiibo.

This is literally all it would take to make this a non-issue for me. I have no problem with paid DLC. But, locking it behind something that sold out prior to release, thus making the game content itself rare, it stupid. Flippers are going to fucking love it, though.

This would be less of an issue to me if you could, ya know, actually find the amiibo easily.

Locking content to amiibo is an indefensible practice until they solve the scarcity thing.

You know very well that he meant the original Mario Kart 8. Breath of the Wild also has a 20 dollar expansion pass. Smash Bros did too. You can stop playing dumb now.

Errr... Smash Bros NEVER had a season pass. I know because I desperately wanted one so that I could avoid buying all the DLC individually

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They should really offer a trading card version of every amiibo figure for a cheaper price. Not everybody has the money or time to hunt for figurines.

This part should be added to the OP:

Code:
Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to [B]make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode[/B]

Oh ffs why Nintendo?

Creating a game mode that is only ever going to be accessible to maybe 5% of your players because it's locked behind physical, limited quantity DLC keys, seems like a wasted endeavor for everyone except the amiibo artists.

VDenter

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245672982 said:
No I didn't know very well because I didn't have Mario Kart 8 on a Wii U and I legit asked the question nicely and as a follow up to an ongoing nice conversation where I learned things I didn't know.

So no I am not dumb or playing dumb but I am going to put you on ignore.

Fair enough. Keep at it though soon the entire forum might be on your ignore list.

Eumi

Nekketsu Kõha;245672628 said:
It isn't an attack on your intelligence but refusal ah you know what. Forget it. You even follow up with a question already asked and answered more than once in the thread and you acknowledge that I have yet still ask lol
You haven't answered my question. You've replied to me twice now and neither post has actually said anything.

It's ok if you don't want to reply to me, but if you don't, then don't. You don't have to type something out of courtesy if you have nothing to say.

Oh, a negative thread about Nintendo.

Checks to see if the usual suspects have arrived.

"Most posts by user Nekketsu Kõha"

Orbital must be sleeping.

I only arrive in amiibo threads that are negative, come on.

Rncewind

We know for sure that sound test and gallery don't exist because of amiibo since those were present in previous games right? If that it's true it's possible to use that same premise to find likely candidates of the opposite
This is only "possible" if you operate on the bonkers premise that sequels and franchises dont change things up or add new things in the sequel.

To be clear and make sure how riddicioulus the thing is your stating:

Since mega evolutions were not a thing before Generation VI in Pokemon, if nintendo would tie the mega evolution stones to amiibos when Gen VI using your logic Mega evolution only exist because of amiibos. That some screwed up line of thought.

As far as I know sound test and gallery have only ever been in two Metroid games, Zero Mission and Fusion, and in both of those games they were unlockables that took effort, not just available from the start. And maybe this game is the same, and the Amiibo is a way to access them without doing well in the game.

MK8 for WiiU had not the Deluxe version.

Also nice that you enjoy having others being fucked just so your figurine has extra Value.

Don't forget not all 3ds scan amiibo so unless you have a N3ds you can't even use the amiibo to get the extra crap that you bought.

Do hope you enjoy buying Season Pass, Amiibo and sometime soon microtransactions(some Nintendo mobile game already have them) on your games.

No I don't enjoy others being fucked but thanks for the drama.

I don't own a 3ds, I don't play Nintendo on mobile and I still don't think amiibo is crap.

Thanks for the nice convo and make sure to enjoy all that as well already on everything you buy and play.

Blobbers

Jesus, Nintendo, convert every amiibo unlockable into DLC already. You'd save yourself a lot of grief.
It's still "paid ranger mode - Nintendo edition", but at least your scummy practices are modernized now

-shadow-

They should really offer a trading card version of every amiibo figure for a cheaper price. Not everybody has the money or time to hunt for figurines.
I'm surprised with all the talk they had before and after launch about having them as cards, we still don't have them nearly three years later. In fact, some of the amiibo have become impossible to get. Smash Mario and Yoshi I'm still missing, but can't find them anywhere for a decent price either.

Madame M

Banned
So you are saying the entire Metroid series have been “cakewalks”, so easy it spoils the experience? You are either saying that, or saying that for some reason Nintendo made this game far easier than every other Metroid game in the series.

The existence of an optional unlockable hard mode does not mean the normal mode is “easy mode”.

If there are more than one difficulty settings available, the lowest is always the easy mode.

And yeah I don't think I stated it or implied it, but Metroid games are pretty easy.

So was Link Between Worlds which had a hard/hero mode that only unlocked when you beat the game.

This is only "possible" if you operate on the bonkers premise that sequels and franchises dont change things up or add new things in the sequel.

To be clear and make sure how riddicioulus the thing is your stating:

Since mega evolutions were not a thing before Generation VI in Pokemon, if nintendo would tie the mega evolution stones to amiibos when Gen VI using your logic Mega evolution only exist because of amiibos. That some screwed up line of thought.

You are saying that since you can't know for sure we should assume that no content exists because of amiibo and it was all gated after the fact, which is bonkers

That's why I say likely candidates and say that overall it's a good thing because of that together with how easy they are to unlock in most cases with spoofing which is apparently kosher .

I could understand if someone likes DLC and amiibo, or hates DLC and amiibo.

But saying amiibo is better than DLC is insane. It's bad in all the same ways, and then bad in some other ways (scarcity, taking up space).

It's especially insane since Nintendo does BOTH, often in the same games. And even in those cases, the content that actual cost them money to produce (new maps, characters) are always tied to the DLC model, not the amiibo model. The amiibo model is always fixated on low-cost-to-produce content.

Lootboxes suck, but 99% of the time they are tied to cosmetic items and they fund tons of free high-cost content like maps and characters that are available free to all. They are kind of gross but they prevent userbase splitting from map packs that is a benefit to every single player of the game, whether they pay or not.

Only scalpers benefit from amiibo.

I say this as someone who owns dozens of amiibo. But I like having the figurines and don't really bother with the content. There is absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be an option to unlock the content digitally without having the amiibo, particularly if Nintendo is reducing its own risk by underproducing the figurines that they are making big profits on. This would benefit unlock-focused people by making the stuff available, it would benefit figurine-focused people by reducing competition, it would benefit Nintendo by giving them more total sales, and fuck over scalpers. There is no logical reason not do to this.

I have a Metroid 1 username and had all of the Metroid amiibo preordered before I knew what the unlocks were, so don't say I'm not a Nintendo fan. I also had a Wii U and MK8 with season pass unlike some of the Nintendo apologists in here who didn't even support the company in those days.

_Ryo_

But now (some) people feel better about the mode being behind any sort of DLC whatsoever since it's not a traditional mode that's being charged extra for, but a brand new one.

I think that is irrelevant and doesnt change anything. If they find that acceptable then as I said there is a flaw in their logic in the first place because if you are upset about the situation as it was already known then it does not become any more reconcilable with this new information that is the same as the old information.

Everyone has different tolerance levels, sure, but they should accept that they are disregarding their own logic and are either manipulating themselves or allowing Nintendo to manipulate them into somehow thinking the situation has changed. It has not.

And thats okay if you want to support it, do so ,but dont act like the situation is better just because you are more tolerant because there is a mode that you didnt think was already there. Just admit you are willing to ignore your own assertions because "well, at least theres a hard mode already included."

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I could care less about Fusion mode, personally, but Nintendo locking features to 4 different amiibos -- 2 of them being new -- is not something I would like to set a precedent for upcoming Nintendo games.

Ridley327

They changed Shovel Knight's amiibo functionality to something...a lot worse, lol

Amiibo Festival is only sold WITH the amiibo.

None of the BotW stuff is the best equipment in the game.

Everything else I can't excuse, though

On top of that, it is by far the most difficult equipment in the game to upgrade, as each upgrade requires more and more Star Fragments, which is the most difficult item to obtain with any consistency. I don't think they even offer up any unique abilities, so it's strictly cosmetic at the expense of defense values.

It's actually rather shocking how bad those armor pieces are compared to what you get in the game, since you would think that they would have put more of an incentive on obtaining them as they're not guaranteed drops when you scan them.

Santar

This part should be added to the OP:

Code:
Correction 5:38 am: The post has been updated to [B]make it clearer that Fusion Mode is even harder than the unlockable hard mode[/B]

Sigh....
This is just a horrible trend from Nintendo.
How anybody can defend having to buy a expensive physical object just to unlock a mode in the game is just beyond me.
It would have been bad even if it was just regularly priced dlc, art galleries and harder modes should not be something you have to pay extra for.

As far as I know sound test and gallery have only ever been in two Metroid games, Zero Mission and Fusion, and in both of those games they were unlockables that took effort, not just available from the start. And maybe this game is the same, and the Amiibo is a way to access them without doing well in the game.

Pretty sure at least some of the Prime games had them too. And it's long confirmed that you have to both beat the game and use the amiibo.

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

Having to keep some tacky ass piece of plastic around is in no way superior.

Ninjimbo

I own the amiibo and I'll buy some more of them, and I'll probably never play this mode. I wish the amiibo unlocked better content, but then I read some of the reactions in this thread and, well, it's probably a good idea that i only get some dingy hard mode for my 10 dollars.

TheMoon

This reminds me of E-card on GBA,I think with super mario advanced 4 you have to use E–card to unlock some levels right? I think this time nintendo is doing a similar thing with Amiibo.Correct me if I am wrong.

not comparable at all. e-reader cards had actual levels. and weren't even available in all regions.

Madame M

Banned
I own the amiibo and I'll buy some more of them, and I'll probably never play this mode. I wish the amiibo unlocked better content, but then I read some of the reactions in this thread and, well, it's probably a good idea that i only get some dingy hard mode for my 10 dollars.

Why do you want multiple Metroid amiibos? What are you going to do with the horde?

Glix

People are pretty shook about the only DLC I know of where you can recoup some of your costs by selling it back when you are done.

And the only DLC I know that comes with a cool collectible and works for multiple games.

People are pretty shook about the only DLC I know of where you can recoup some of your costs by selling it back when you are done.

And the only DLC I know that comes with a cool collectible and works for multiple games.
It's also the only DLC available in limited quantities at a price point well above industry averages for the content provided. It's the only DLC that sells out or gets scalped. In this case, it's some of the only DLC that requires an adapter to use for the console it's on (it shares this lofty position with other TTL horseshit).

But yeah, people are just being idiots.

Instro

It's not "defense force" more like wtf? It seems the only real difference between free hard mode and amiibo hard mode is a different suit. And people really get upset about that? It's simply weird.

Nonetheless I think there will surely be another wave of Metroid amiibo in the near future.

I like that you attempted to down play the issue with information that isn't even correct. No defense force though I guess.

Yep, it is quite strange, but then I realize the very same people who are outraged about everything in regards to Nintendo while absent from other issues and it doesn't seem as strange anymore.

flkraven

Nekketsu Kõha;245674062 said:
Difference of opinion isn't it. I'd rather have those nice looking toys than "season pass installed, yes."

So wouldn't it be awesome if Nintendo catered to this difference in opinion?

flkraven

If an big dev released a game that was physical only with no digital option, people would be 'pretty shook' about it. Especially if the logistics and shelf-stocking were handled by Nintendo of all people.

Edit: damn, I doubled up.

Top Bottom