• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

LordRaptor

i wish nintendo would have devoleped shadow of mordor, would love to see your spin on that, would been for the archives

Why do you keep bringing up shadows of mordor?
Any game with loot crates has exponentially higher costs to "own everything" because "I must own everything" is pretty much a fringe mentality in the first place.

If Nintendo had developed Shadows Of Mordor, sure, maybe every single amiibo would be its own unique assignable unit unit in game in true toys to life fashion and there would be no randomised element or loot crate option.
Is that worse?

Venfayth

Nintendo continues to prove they actively exploit their 'dedicated' fan base with this nonsense. Locking anything beyond cosmetics behind amiibo is gross.

Well...

About that...

(Of course, we don't know the full details. Mario Maker locked costumes behind Amiibo, but you could unlock them with an alternative in-game method)

I get that difficulty modes being Amiibo DLC is dumb, but what's wrong with a costume or two being locked behind Amiibo? Or am I missing something? I thought BotW's costume-locking approach was Amiibo DLC done right.

Rncewind

Why do you keep bringing up shadows of mordor?
Any game with loot crates has exponentially higher costs to "own everything" because "I must own everything" is pretty much a fringe mentality in the first place.

If Nintendo had developed Shadows Of Mordor, sure, maybe every single amiibo would be its own unique assignable unit unit in game in true toys to life fashion and there would be no randomised element or loot crate option.
Is that worse?

I keep up bringing it because nobody seems to have the urge there to make bullshit defense force post. I wonder why. Also you didnt read correctly again. I said i was intressted in how he would spin this, not saying it was the same. But thx for the boldto emphasize how good nintendo is i guess. Hope they write them a letter to change the lootboxes in amiibos.

Marcel

Nintendo continues to prove they actively exploit their 'dedicated' fan base with this nonsense. Locking anything beyond cosmetics behind amiibo is gross.

That fervent part of their fanbase enjoys being exploited. They eat this stuff up and act like Nintendo is the one doing us a favor.

Golnei

If it was just cosmetics, I wouldn't care but man this is a whole mode. That's bunk.

They could have done a lot with purely cosmetic amiibo integration, going off the way it was done for the alternate textures for Yoshi. Recolours of Samus' suit would take very little time to implement, and doing stuff like including all of the Smash palettes and colour schemes themed after other characters (Megaman, Metal Face, Fi, Phantom Zelda, maybe even the pastel star-studded Power Suit from the N3DS commercial with a Peach amiibo) would be additional small extras created around the possibility of doing minor inconsequential crossover stuff that ordinarily wouldn't have been included in the game.

HardRojo

So, as usual, a content that would have never been developed without amiibo will be amiibo based
While the usual contents will be accessible

Or someone really thinks wolf link would have been added to botw without the existence of the related amiibo?
Let's sell one chapter of the game, and have the rest unlocked through amiibo because these chapters wouldn't have been developed if not for the amiibo. What is this reasoning?

So is Fusion mode harder than hard, or is it the same but with the costume? If the latter, then I'm fine with it, if not then that's still fucking BS.

Toxi

Banned
Huh, reading it again, maybe Fusion difficulty is the same as hard difficulty beyond the costume.

But I get the feeling they would have been more clear if that were the case.

I'm actually fine with that, it reminds of how they handled Hero Mode and the Ganon amiibo in Twilight Princess. Too bad that my 3DS screen now has a bunch of dead pixels for no apparent reason. I'm gonna wait for a bit before I buy a new one so I'll be skipping Samus Returns for now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I get that difficulty modes being Amiibo DLC is dumb, but what's wrong with a costume or two being locked behind Amiibo? Or am I missing something? I thought BotW's costume-locking approach was Amiibo DLC done right.

In defence of the BotW stuff, it was fan service items tied to the appropriate figurine, which one could assume you'd own if you're a fan of them. That and
the traditional tunic is unlockable anyway
. Also, items from previous games haven't really been a thing in previous Zelda games so it does feel like content built as a result of Amiibo.

(Saying that, it would have been nice to have had an alternative, even if hard, way to get them in-game)

As for Mario. Taking a wait and see approach. Nintendo is bad a communicating.

For all we know, using an Amiibo unlocks the costume from the get go, but beating the game unlocks it as well.

Huh, reading it again, maybe Fusion difficulty is the same as hard difficulty beyond the costume.

Maybe they want people buying the amiibo to think the DLC is gonna be awesome when all it is same hard mode with the costume.

That's also how I read it but that would make no sense as a separate "mode". I wonder if there will be some additional changes like cosmetic enemy/pickup changes to be like those in Metroid Fusion.

They certainly aren't clear about whether or not it's harder than hard mode or if so how much harder (or in what way).

Kyuur

Continues to be a non-issue. I hope everyone who intends to buy the Amiibo enjoys the piece of bonus content they get on the side.

Toxi

Banned
Nekketsu Kõha;245667970 said:
Maybe they want people buying the amiibo to think the DLC is gonna be awesome when all it is same hard mode with the costume.
People would buy the Metroid Amiibo if it unlocked nothing at all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's also how I read it but that would make no sense as a separate "mode". I wonder if there will be some additional changes like cosmetic enemy/pickup changes to be like those in Metroid Fusion.

Well, like I said earlier, tying it to a mode also means tying it to a certain difficulty, in this case Hard Mode. Otherwise, yeah, it would have made more sense as a toggle.

Mark1

Ah this brings back exact memories of unlocking the Fusion suit in Prime. No different here.

Was probably worse then 😉 through a copy of both games, a game boy advance AND a link cable

Never learn Nintendo. Fucking hell

VDenter

Banned
That really does not solve the issue.

Why not stop locking stuff behind amiibo?

How about having it be downloadable as DLC?

Oh i guess that wont do since then Nintendo would not be able to overcharge like they do with amiibos.

Rncewind

They certainly aren't clear about whether or not it's harder than hard mode or if so how much harder (or in what way).

Only Nintendo manages to identify a issue to make a statment only to not clearly adress nothing.

Reggie is proud.

flkraven

Nintendo is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They have the console that has very little $$$ DLC (ie. "I love that X game doesn't ask me for money" thread), but they sell Amiibos that are effectively pay for DLC.

Easy solution for general problems: Offer to sell these things on the DLC market without needing to buy an Amiibo

Solution for this specific problem: Don't lock difficulty settings for a base game behind a DLC pay wall for fuck sakes.

Alexlf

I don't care about $15 "physical dlc" too much honestly, provided I can actually buy the damn things without paying 3rd parties a 500%-1000% markup. Either increase amiibo availability or offer digital DLC options.

HardRojo

Continues to be a non-issue. I hope everyone who intends to buy the Amiibo enjoys the piece of bonus content they get on the side.
Continues to be non-issue? It definitely was not a non-issue before. Holy shit I can't believe this!

Only Nintendo manages to identify a issue to make a statment only to not clearly adress nothing.

Reggie is proud.

Yeah I seriously don't understand why good communication is such a hard concept for this company. They really need one of the higher ups at NCL to have a multi-lingual blog or twitter account or something to address these types of things.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

Edit: quoted wrong person.

If Mario had an extra world, Mario Kart had an extra track, or if Zelda had an extra dungeon locked behind Amiibo; more people would be flipping their shit, but instead we get fans defending this because it's Metroid and we should be thankful.

LordRaptor

I keep up bringing it because nobody seems to have the urge there to make bullshit defense force post. I wonder why.

Because loot crates and season passes for sale long before any indication as to what is in those season passes is now a AAA game staple?
There's no point 'defending' it, it is what it is and its here to stay.
There's even less point getting outraged about it. Games aren't getting cheaper to make.

Amiibo are collectible toys and also physical DLC unlocks, they're not inherently worse just because Nintendo are the only people ostensibly doing it anymore and the other games that come with a toy don't give you anything more than the toy.

Rncewind

Yeah I seriously don't understand why good communication is such a hard concept for this company. They really need one of the higher ups at NCL to have a multi-lingual blog or twitter account or something to address these types of things.

It really shouldn't be this hard.

I think the problem here is the rigid structure of NoJ which also affects alot other things like thirdparties and stuff but this a whole other rabit hole of discussion. Would be an intressting topic tho.

Nekketsu Kõha;245668536 said:
No thanks. Some of us would rather have far superior in every way amiibo DLC model they use now than what the rest of AAA publishers are doing.

oh boy we reaching next level here

I disagree completely. I'll take the AAA model over this toy unlock bullshit.

Malice215

I wanted the amiibo more than the game, but Nintendo should have handled this situation better. There's no reason to have this bad PR for a game that people want, and there's no reason to lock an entire mode behind an amiibo that people want to buy but can't because it's limited.

Nothing says superior like potentially have to pay a price approaching $100 for hard mode because Nintendo underproduce their DLC maguffins and scalpers get their hands on them!

Amiibos are cool when they unlock cosmetic fan service ala BotW and Woolly World, but you can really smell the greed when they unlock entirely new modes and such behind the toys. It's not even like Fusion Mode is unlocked by getting a Fusion amiibo! Very poorly thought out

Rncewind

Because loot crates and season passes for sale long before any indication as to what is in those season passes is now a AAA game staple?
There's even less point getting outraged about it. Games aren't getting cheaper to make.
A) This is literary thread whining, your whole point is this is normal because i say so nobody should be outraged, if you feel like that go report it to a mod that he thread is closed then B) You dont adress the question you quoted, which is why people are defending this shit in this case and not in others, as you can see there are alot of people that actually adressed this, one above me C) I rather get outraged about anything i want, this includes lootboxes as well as pyhsical limited on disc* dlc.

I disagree completely. I'll take the AAA model over this toy unlock bullshit.

Cheap toy with few things locked away that is nice, retains value, can be sold or traded even given away and can be used in the future and sometimes for many games and you know what it is. Also saves stuff has uses beyond DLC.

vs

Season pass way more expensive, not sure what you get, locks away more content, only works for that game, can't be traded or sold, stops working at some point.

Toxi

Banned
Explain to me how Amiibo is superior to the DLC model of the Witcher 3.

Marcel

lSYkeG6.jpg

In defence of the BotW stuff, it was fan service items tied to the appropriate figurine, which one could assume you'd own if you're a fan of them. That and
the traditional tunic is unlockable anyway
. Also, items from previous games haven't really been a thing in previous Zelda games so it does feel like content built as a result of Amiibo.

(Saying that, it would have been nice to have had an alternative, even if hard, way to get them in-game)

As for Mario. Taking a wait and see approach. Nintendo is bad a communicating.

For all we know, using an Amiibo unlocks the costume from the get go, but beating the game unlocks it as well.
BotW locked its only companion character behind an amiibo

Amiibo are collectible toys and also physical DLC unlocks, they're not inherently worse just because Nintendo are the only people ostensibly doing it anymore and the other games that come with a toy don't give you anything more than the toy.

The point in being "outraged" by it is to complain and make it heard that a portion of their market isn't going to buy into spending $15 on a toy for an extra mode, but is interested in having the extra mode under a more reasonable price/distribution model. They're inherently worse to many people because it creates an unnecessary supply/demand issue, as opposed to traditional DLC models that don't involve having to hunt down a piece of plastic with a chip in it.

Nekketsu Kõha;245668954 said:
Cheap toy with few things locked away that is nice, retains value, can be sold or traded even given away and can be used in the future and sometimes for many games and you know what it is. Also saves stuff has uses beyond DLC.

vs

Season pass way more expensive, not sure what you get, locks away more content, only works for that game, can't be traded or sold, stops working at some point.

"cheap" it's $12-15, and that's if you can find it at MSRP. The DLC content is typically costumes or difficulty modes, which would normally go for $5 or so. At the most, in games that aren't the game it was produced for, you get a minor cosmetic or in-game items (ala using non-Zelda amiibo on BotW).

And "stops working at some point," what is that point exactly? When has DLC from a season pass become inaccessible? How often is it that DLC is exclusive to a season pass, and can't be obtained out of that pricing model?

If Mario had an extra world, Mario Kart had an extra track, or if Zelda had an extra dungeon locked behind Amiibo; more people would be flipping their shit, but instead we get fans defending this because it's Metroid and we should be thankful.

I mean, this sounds pretty similar to what the Ganon amiibo did in Twilight Princess so this is nothing new. The hard difficulty in TP was Hero Mode, which anyone could unlock. And the Ganon amiibo was just a glorified damage multiplier, nothing to get angry about. We won't know for sure until we see some reviews for Samus Returns but this seems rather benign. And I say this as someone who was rather incensed by the whole thing at first.

Nothing says superior like potentially have to pay a price approaching $100 for hard mode because Nintendo underproduce their DLC maguffins and scalpers get their hands on them!

Amiibos are cool when they unlock cosmetic fan service ala BotW and Woolly World, but you can really smell the greed when they unlock entirely new modes and such behind the toys. It's not even like Fusion Mode is unlocked by getting a Fusion amiibo! Very poorly thought out

I don't judge a product by what scalpers charge for them on eBay. That would be silly.

Again hope they make more of them for Americans as they seem to be extremely popular. Nintendo and meeting demand is an ongoing issue with them.

DrArchon

The least they could do is have Fusion mode unlocked with every Metroid brand Amiibo, and not just one specific one. The system they have now really makes the Smash Series Amiibo owners seem like second class citizens. I never got that feeling with BotW, so Nintendo can do better in this regard and I now idea why they didn't do so here.

Top Bottom