• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

Talking Point: Nintendo's Changing the Media Game at E3

Perhaps the trouble with that presentation, and it afflicts Microsoft and Sony in similar ways, is a difficulty in getting the overall messaging right. Dedicated fans are the most invested in the event, but it's being broadcast to a wider audience that includes consumers that are less committed or on the fence about the brand. Companies are trying to impress the media packing out the hall, but need to also show the public why they should be excited. The right balance is rarely found, with an hour-long presentation, from Nintendo or its rivals, often lopsidedly veering from high octane action titles and sizzle reels, to laid-back "casual" games and dawdling presentations explaining basic ideas.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/talking_point_nintendos_changing_the_media_game_at_e3

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/15/spike-tv-and-gametrailers-com-score-big-with-record-breaking-viewership-during-the-2011-electronic-entertainment-expo-e3/95673/

Again this years E3 will have two new Gaming consoles so the viewership will be even higher. I cannot believe your trying to argue more people watch Nintendo Directs than E3 conferences.

E3 is still the biggest gaming event of the year.
You said that you doubt Nintendo Direct gets 1 million views and he provided evidence that some Nintendo Directs in the first week get 1 million views.
He didn't say ND get more views than televised press conferences.

Tobor

The "perception problem" is people who only read the titles of press articles. Not Nintendo's fault people jump to conclusions without reviewing all presented information.

Also, as a sidenote unrelated to your comment, Tobor... I thought responding to thread without reading the titles was a very bad thing.

I have read and fully understand everything Nintendo is doing here.

Davey Cakes

The information from both Nintendo Directs and press events will find its way into the mainstream anyway.

ND is just a nice way to have a focused presentation for fans without as much of the "fluff," though even the January Direct with X and SMTxFE had its share.

E3 conferences are no less "circle jerky," in my opinion.

I'm very disappointed hearing this news. One of my favorite times each year is sitting down for the big conferences with my friends. I hope they at least have a NIntendo Direct scheduled for the same time their conference would have come on.
I don't really get the true difference between Nintendo Direct and E3 conferences, in terms of delivering the information and creating excitement. The only real difference is that with Nintendo Direct there isn't as much time wasted by bringing people on stage to talk about shit that no one cares about. Remember all the time that was dedicated to Batman at the last E3? Remember all the "blah blah blah" that we had to put up with?

When watching Nintendo Directs in particular, it feels similar to E3 conferences. The last fifteen minutes of the January Direct as well as most of the recent 3DS-focused Direct were filled with some neat announcements and footage. These presentations evoked the same general feelings that E3 does, minus the stage, the audience reactions, and the filler.

daxgame

I think they're doing this because the last E3 was a mess.
Basically, because they're incapable of doing it right (not that all their E3s were bad)

At least I hope that the NDirect will be live on that days

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/06/15/spike-tv-and-gametrailers-com-score-big-with-record-breaking-viewership-during-the-2011-electronic-entertainment-expo-e3/95673/

Again this years E3 will have two new Gaming consoles so the viewership will be even higher. I cannot believe your trying to argue more people watch Nintendo Directs than E3 conferences.

600k-1 million views for Directs that aren't related at E3 like basically all of them in a week seems to me a pretty good number. And it's not unreasonable to think that in the case of E3 Direct/s, it can get much higher. Animal Crossing: New Leaf Direct, a 43 minutes specific Direct just for Japanese audience has been viewed 1.8 million times just on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure GAF is a frenzy of Nintendo discussion after these directs and Nintendo just needs family commercials if they're selling to the "casual" consumer, so there's really no problem with this decision.

Meelow

Banned
We all know they have one every year. There is an expectation of a conference and it is not being met. You can replace the word cancelled with whatever you like. The sentiment is the same.

Yeah they do have one every year, and they still do, the difference is instead of an hour long conference we will have a E3 Nintendo Direct.

And maybe we shouldn't expect stuff from the gaming industry, Microsoft already doesn't care for E3 and if they weren't gonna release the 720 this year than I doubt they would even bother going to E3 and Microsoft also is announcing the 720 19 days before their conference where they could of waited too, Sony announced the PS4 in February and E3 2012 also showed that they are only doing it for the press now.

Soon E3 will just be a place where demo's are that the press will do and business meetings while Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft control what they want to do, none of them can really control E3.

And IF this back fires on Nintendo than Nintendo would most likely go back to their original place at E3 and have a big press conference.

I'm pretty sure GAF is a frenzy of Nintendo discussion after these directs and Nintendo just needs family commercials if they're selling to the "casual" consumer, so there's really no problem with this decision.

Nintendo gave up on the casuals a long time ago, they can't win that war when Apple and Microsoft are deeply playing it, two bigger companies, they will have casual games but they will also do what they said and make the Wii U about you as a gamer, cores and casuals.

denshuu

I'm very disappointed hearing this news. One of my favorite times each year is sitting down for the big conferences with my friends. I hope they at least have a NIntendo Direct scheduled for the same time their conference would have come on.

There's a conference scheduled for the same time their conference would have come on. Two of them.

So Nintendo are still doing smaller scale press events. Just like the major manufacturers and publishers.

But unlike the major manufacturers and publishers, they aren't doing a live press conference.

No matter how you try to spin it, this is a net loss for Nintendo. This means less exposure overall, and exposure is something they desperately need.

How could anyone possibly say that losing hundreds of thousands of live conference viewers is a good thing for Nintendo?

What makes you think Wii U still wont be getting coverage all throughout E3? They're still going to be there, they're still going to have hands on impressions. The only difference is they wont have an hour long conference.

The 4 million count on tv was actually in a 5 hour period when MS and EA had their briefings the conferences did get some of those views (considering both briefings lasted 2.5 hours cumulatively).

The lack of a conference is just hurting them. If they were clever they would do both; a conference for the mass views or extra views and special ND's to spend time on individual games. I honestly don't know if they will get the same E3 coverage with Spike TV, Gametrailers etc. We will have to see.

You said that you doubt Nintendo Direct gets 1 million views and he provided evidence that some Nintendo Directs in the first week get 1 million views.
He didn't say ND get more views than televised press conferences.

Guess you misunderstood me or my wording was bad:

I doubt ND have more than 1 million people watching their stream. The last one I watched had 80 000 but that was a small one I think and a long time ago.

I mean people watching the stream when it airs not youtube views/ eshop views etc.
Maybe the standard I set was too high but its clear that E3 conferences get more views.

600k-1 million views for Directs that aren't related at E3 like basically all of them in a week seems to me a pretty good number. And it's not unreasonable to think that in the case of E3 Direct/s, it can get much higher. Animal Crossing: New Leaf Direct, a 43 minutes specific Direct just for Japanese audience has been viewed 1.8 million times just on YouTube.

Yes its good but not on the same scale as E3 conferences.

Banned
Nintendo: "So we're not doing a pressconference this year at E3. We'll be there with demos and our future line-up. We'll have meetings with partners and the media. There will be Nintendo Directs communicating our announcements towards everybody at home.

Part of GAF: "Oh man, no conference? What about the games!?"

Nintendo: "Oh sorry, you didn't get that. We'll be at E3 with our products."

Part of GAF: "But if you don't have a conference, where are you going to show your games!!??"

Nintendo: "Uh, our new products will be attending E3. We've just explained the two meeting set-up. Everyone at home can expect something (likely a Nintendo Direct) like a broadcast detailing our new announcements."

Part of GAF: "But there won't be a conference?"

Nintendo: "Yes"

Part of GAF: "But what about your games?"

Nintendo: "... ... ..."
slow-clap-gif.gif

The 4 million count on tv was actually in a 5 hour period when MS and EA had their briefings the conferences did get some of those views (considering both briefings lasted 2.5 hours cumulatively).
Do we have any data on how many people were watching during the Nintendo event? If it peaks at 4 million during the rivals conference and Nintendo didn't get nearly as many views for their conference maybe thats why they decided that this strategy would be more beneficial.

Calamari41

41 > 38

I mean people watching the stream when it airs not youtube views/ eshop views etc.
Maybe the standard I set was too high but its clear that E3 conferences get more views.

Yes its good but not on the same scale as E3 conferences.

I would say that Nintendo Directs, announced mere hours before airing with no press hype or buildup, getting a full quarter of the number of viewers of a five hour E3 conference block is pretty damn impressive. Let's wait to see the numbers for the Direct during E3 before we judge Nintendo.

What difference does it make if they show the exact same games in a couple of Nintendo Direct E3 editions ?

Less exposure. E3 gives you a considerable amount of exposure with it being the biggest gaming show of the year. Gamers and non gamers alike would read about and see the games. Nintendo Direct doesn't give them as much exposure.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Less exposure. E3 gives you a considerable amount of exposure with it being the biggest gaming show of the year. Gamers and non gamers alike would read about and see the games. Nintendo Direct doesn't give them as much exposure.

You must have missed it, but Nintendo will still be at E3 demoing all of their games as normal and holding full press meetings. The only difference between a standard E3 conference and what Nintendo is doing with the press is that it won't be streamed, and it will be tailored specifically for the press.

Dave Long

Banned
Nintendo Direct reaches exactly who they want to reach... directly. It's a great way to tell us about new products and update us on things we already know about. Personally, I love them. They're also short enough and entertaining enough to be enjoyed by everyone sitting in front of the Wii U and available right there in the shop.

If they did a big stage production at E3, it'd be relayed to myself and everyone at home the same way... via YouTube or an eShop link... so why go to all that expense to rent a giant hall if you're not gaining anything? Makes more sense to target everyone directly and control the message better for each segment.

Retailers will get their pitch. Media gets theirs. People at home get theirs. All of these can be tailored and streamlined to meet the audience's expectations better.

It's pretty smart.

Nintendo Direct reaches exactly who they want to reach... directly. It's a great way to tell us about new products and update us on things we already know about. Personally, I love them. They're also short enough and entertaining enough to be enjoyed by everyone sitting in front of the Wii U and available right there in the shop.

If they did a big stage production at E3, it'd be relayed to myself and everyone at home the same way... via YouTube or an eShop link... so why go to all that expense to rent a giant hall if you're not gaining anything? Makes more sense to target everyone directly and control the message better for each segment.

Retailers will get their pitch. Media gets theirs. People at home get theirs. All of these can be tailored and streamlined to meet the audience's expectations better.

It's pretty smart.

Nintendo Directs directly reach the kind of people who are already predispositoned to buy Nintendo products.

They're alienating a broader audience to try and pander to the fanboys. I guess that's a tactic, of sorts.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo Directs directly reach the kind of people who are already predispositoned to buy Nintendo products.

They're alienating a broader audience to try and pander to the fanboys. I guess that's a tactic, of sorts.

If somebody isn't going to tune into an hour-long E3 Nintendo Direct, then they aren't going to tune into an hour-long E3 Nintendo Conference. The only difference for people is what it says on the link they click to see it.

Dave Long

Banned

People who look at YouTube, you mean? Like... everyone? Yeah. That's who they reach.

If somebody isn't going to tune into an hour-long E3 Nintendo Direct, then they aren't going to tune into an hour-long E3 Nintendo Conference. The only difference for people is what it says on the link they click to see it.

E3 conferences are broadcast on TV and on websites that get a hell of a lot of views during E3 time. I assume that Nintendo will not be broadcasting on those sources unless they've said otherwise.

People who look at YouTube, you mean? Like... everyone? Yeah. That's who they reach.

I go to YouTube. I don't see advertisments for Nintendo Direct anywhere.

Calamari41

41 > 38
E3 conferences are broadcast on TV and on websites that get a hell of a lot of views during E3 time. I assume that Nintendo will not be broadcasting on those sources unless they've said otherwise.

Why couldn't Spike or IGN broadcast the Direct? Does IGN not currently link to them or report on them? What's the difference between broadcasting that feed vs Nintendo's conference feed? I know Nintendo broadcasts them by themselves now, but we don't know that they are doing that for the E3 version. As I've said before, let's wait until we see the results before we start judging them.

Why couldn't Spike or IGN broadcast the Direct? Does IGN not currently link to them or report on them? What's the difference between broadcasting that feed vs Nintendo's conference feed? I know Nintendo broadcasts them by themselves now, but we don't know that they are doing that for the E3 version. As I've said before, let's wait until we see the results before we start judging them.

Why "couldn't" they? I don't know. They could.

Will they? Will they get as many views as they would if they were doing the traditional E3 style event? Nobody can explain to me exactly how not having a conference is the superior option here. Nothing is stopping them having a "gamer focused" conference and then having another conference for other casual shit. They can have Nintendo Directs in addition to this conference. Hell, they did last year. All they've done is remove themselves from an event that has a lot of eyeballs on it. I get that they're technically showing up, but they've bailed out of the press conference competition that we have every year.

KiN0

The last 2 conferences have been disappointing and boring. With this new approach it looks like they want to stream line things.

Terrell

SpikeTV and Nintendo could work out something to broadcast Nintendo Direct on TV.
Problem solved.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why "couldn't" they? I don't know. They could.

Will they? Will they get as many views as they would if they were doing the traditional E3 style event? Nobody can explain to me exactly how not having a conference is the superior option here.
For all your posts you still haven't explained how it's inferior with anything more than assumptions based on, at best, nothing at all.

If the press isn't interested to show an E3 Direct or whatever why would they be interested for the same content just because it would be called a conference? It's all under the same banner of Nintendo's E3 showing.

You're just latching on semantics at this point. It's E3. Companies go there and show and announce what they have. The press reacts to and reports on what they show. That doesn't change for Nintendo, good or bad.

All that matters is if they have things the press will be interested to show, not if they're shown in a conference or an event + direct + whatever else. If they've got nothing, having a conference wouldn't somehow save face.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Exactly. Why would Spike pass on broadcasting the Direct when apparently E3 Conferences get such massive, massive amounts of people watching? Nintendo isn't going to broadcast it when someone else is going, so what is Spike going to air instead? A recap of something else while everybody with a computer is watching Nintendo? The only reason would be if Nintendo didn't let them air it. Which would of course be grounds for criticism... but let's wait until that actually happens before we start proclaiming death.

Not sure if posted but Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's Senior Director of Corporate Communications, detailed Nintendo's E3 plans to Nintendo World Report:

Beyond the news that will be communicated through Nintendo Direct videos in the run up to E3, at the show itself we’re hosting two smaller events on Tuesday morning before the LACC opens instead of just our traditional one event," Scibetta said. "A media event and a partner presentation will both occur that morning.

Linkhero1

Not sure if poster but Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's Senior Director of Corporate Communications, detail Nintendo's plans to Nintendo World Report:

Oh look. They're still going to have a media event Tuesday morning. Now all those non-nintendo gamers can actually follow what's going on.

I'm not entirely sure what people are upset about.

I see nothing wrong with this, the previous year, the most hype for Nintendo games and stories have been from the Nintendo Directs.. just look back at the past E3s, a lot of negativity and criticisms from the public.
For me it will feel different, I always made time to watch a live stream of Nintendo conference but not this time.. without Nintendo it feels a lot less fun but the very least that they are there with the most important thing, games!

MYE

Nintendo: "So we're not doing a pressconference this year at E3. We'll be there with demos and our future line-up. We'll have meetings with partners and the media. There will be Nintendo Directs communicating our announcements towards everybody at home.

Part of GAF: "Oh man, no conference? What about the games!?"

Nintendo: "Oh sorry, you didn't get that. We'll be at E3 with our products."

Part of GAF: "But if you don't have a conference, where are you going to show your games!!??"

Nintendo: "Uh, our new products will be attending E3. We've just explained the two meeting set-up. Everyone at home can expect something (likely a Nintendo Direct) like a broadcast detailing our new announcements."

Part of GAF: "But there won't be a conference?"

Nintendo: "Yes"

Part of GAF: "But what about your games?"

Nintendo: "... ... ..."

Yeah. yup

For all your posts you still haven't explained how it's inferior with anything more than assumptions based on nothing.

If the press isn't interested to show an E3 Direct or whatever why would they be interested for the same content just because it would be called a conference? It's all under the same banner of Nintendo's E3 showing.

You're just latching on semantics at this point. It's E3. Companies go there and show and announce what they have. The press reacts to and reports on what they show. That doesn't change for Nintendo, good or bad.

All that matters is if they have things the press will be interested in to show, not if they're shown in a conference or an event + direct + whatever else. If they've got nothing, having a conference wouldn't save face.

For me as a viewer, I couldn't care less how they present the info. I find live events more fun just because there's a greater chance of something going wrong and getting awkward videos. That's it.

The reason I think it's wrong in an objective sense is they're not gaining anything but not having the conference. The spin is "we can focus on x y and z". The reality is they could focus on those things while also having a conference. All they've done is taken themselves out of the biggest event for gaming news as a big time player and instead relegated themselves to the level of, say, Konami or any other Japanese company who just plays a premade video. I don't see how this can be spun as a good thing. All they're doing is trying to avoid being upstaged by not showing up to the stage.

Alexios

For me as a viewer, I couldn't care less how they present the info. I find live events more fun just because there's a greater chance of something going wrong and getting awkward videos. That's it.
Neat.

The reason I think it's wrong in an objective sense is they're not gaining anything but not having the conference. The spin is "we can focus on x y and z". The reality is they could focus on those things while also having a conference.
The reality is nobody would devote all the time in the world to Nintendo for them to do anything and everything during E3. There's a time (not to mention cost) factor. This is how they managed it. Press event(s), and consumer event(s), whatever form they may take. The press can as always choose to report on everything they may have to show and the consumer will presumably get the same as you say above.

All they've done is taken themselves out of the biggest event for gaming news as a big time player and instead relegated themselves to the level of, say, Konami or any other Japanese company who just plays a premade video. I don't see how this can be spun as a good thing. All they're doing is trying to avoid being upstaged by not showing up to the stage.
They've not taken themselves out, making such statements every time someone asks you a question doesn't make it true. If their E3 is good or bad is all about what they have to show, not if they have a conference.

remnant

Banned
I go to YouTube. I don't see advertisments for Nintendo Direct anywhere.

Do you not have a television? The broader market doesn't watch E# conferences. They get their info from commercials and news segment.

What audience is Nintendo neglecting? the people still bitching about Bayonetta 2?

Yeah....I can't imagine why nintendo wants to change things up

MJLord

I have watched all the conferences every year for the last 3 years.

I don't own a Nintendo product at the moment but I still like to know whats going on and whats coming up in the coming year.

I don't know what Nintendo Direct is, the only thing this has done is made me feel (more) alienated to Nintendo products. :(

Alexios

I don't own a Nintendo product at the moment but I still like to know whats going on and whats coming up in the coming year.

I don't know what Nintendo Direct is, the only thing this has done is made me feel (more) alienated to Nintendo products. :(
You read GAF and saw this not-a-conference thread but missed all the equally big Nintendo Direct threads and all the threads that spawned out of them with trailers and announcements of new games, cool...

You're also alienated without knowing if this affects you to any degree beyond the gaming site x you visit linking you to a Nintendo E3 Direct stream instead of a Nintendo E3 Conference stream, even cooler...

Also, GAF's own E3 coverage threads with links and ETAs for each company's showings, whatever form they take, will totally exclude anything Nintendo may have to show, because it won't be a conference, count on it...

But to help you a little, Nintendo Directs are pre-recorded conferences where Iwata, Miyamoto, Reggie, Shibata and others show up and present new products, media and announcements, sometimes bigger and sometimes smaller, and for the very first time this year for an E3 showing. Everything decent that comes out of Nintendo Directs is reproduced in all the usual outlets. There, now you know what it is that makes you so alienated...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

I've watched E3 online ever since the days of Gamespot and IGN streaming it through their bullshit subscription plans exclusively. I've done all this at 2-4am local time in the freezing cold nights.

I own a 3DS and a Wii U, as well as more gaming items than I can shake a stick at.

I also don't watch Nintendo Directs - but I'm not as alienated as you are because everything gets reported by the press and gaming enthusiasts on GAF, and all I have to do is watch snippets of it on YouTube.

If you continue to feel alienated then it's your own fault. No one else's.

Elios83

Too bad, end of an era...for E3.
At this point it's becoming more and more irrelevant.
Sony and Microsoft are using private events to unveil their new products as well and companies do not adjust their schedules to announce new games and things in time for E3 like it happened 8-10 years ago.
It's a bit sad and it makes people feel nostalgic about the excitement there was around these huge conferences a few years ago but that's how things are evolving.
Honestly I'm not unhappy with special events and private conferences being held throughout the year.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Nintendo Direct is literally a mini-E3 conference with 90% of the fluff removed, and one is usually broadcast once a month. If you are interested in keeping up with what Nintendo is up to, check them out.

SykoTech

...eh.

Doesn't sound like a good idea, but it's not like they've been able to put on a decent conference for a while now. Maybe this approach will end up better.

Top Bottom