• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ditches main E3 conference, still there with games, press events, N-Direct

MJLord

You read GAF and saw this thread but missed all the at least equally big Nintendo Direct threads and all the threads that spawned out of them with trailers and announcements of new games, cool...

You're also alienated without knowing if this affects you on any degree beyond the gaming site x you visit linking you to a Nintendo E3 Direct stream instead of a Nintendo E3 Conference stream, even cooler...

Yes. I missed all the threads, nothing Nintendo have done in the last couple of years has caught my attention enough to bother.

I do bother to view the conference that once a year sums up whats going to happen however.

Touch

Nintendo has pretty terrible presentation skills or rather they have been declining over the years. It a shame they couldn't get it together.

First really positive measure taken by Nintendo i've heard in months. Well done.

Put cheap LCD's on top of the boxes they came packed in and the Wii U's on the floor in the stands. BS show waste of money, of no value to the consumer at all. Bring back Space World!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I do bother to view the conference that once a year sums up whats going to happen however.
Then you've missed most of what Nintendo has done in years since E3 rarely is a sum up of the whole year and big announcements happen before and after it too. By the way, 3DS XL is out as you must have missed it.

It's not anyone's fault you made such assumptions about E3 conferences which more often than not have to even skip showing games that are actually on the E3 showfloor due to time limits. Now you know better.

Terrell

I love all the people in this thread who are shit-talkin something they've never watched.

Why "couldn't" they? I don't know. They could.

Will they? Will they get as many views as they would if they were doing the traditional E3 style event? Nobody can explain to me exactly how not having a conference is the superior option here. Nothing is stopping them having a "gamer focused" conference and then having another conference for other casual shit. They can have Nintendo Directs in addition to this conference. Hell, they did last year. All they've done is remove themselves from an event that has a lot of eyeballs on it. I get that they're technically showing up, but they've bailed out of the press conference competition that we have every year.
First, they aren't removed from an event, they're still at E3 and a lack of conference doesn't equal a deficiency in coverage.

Neither Nintendo or any other company give a shit about your "competition". If they did, Ubisoft wouldn't have won last year.

So, how is a large-scale presser superior to Nintendo's suggested method? Lack of memes? No clapping? Other shit that no one but the hardcore cares about?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody mentioned in the other thread, but this one has way more activity.

How does this affect third parties?

MJLord

Then you've missed most of what Nintendo has done in years since E3 rarely is a sum up of the whole year and big announcements happen before and after it too. By the way, 3DS XL is out as you must have missed it.

It's not anyone's fault you made such assumptions about E3 conferences which more often than not have to even skip showing games that are actually on the E3 showfloor due to time limits. Now you know better.

It's not that I've missed out, I've not been hooked enough to bother. It's not interesting to me half of the time.

The conference was a time when I sat down paid attention, now they've lost that.

Buggy Loop

• Oh noes, they'll keep powerpoint presentations only for the suppliers?
  • We wont have to sit and watch peoples play awkwardly (and this goes for all console E3s) on stage?
  • We wont have to endure the on the side translator say in english what Miyamoto san said? Subtitles saves twice the time!
  • In the end we end up with much more information because there'll be many nintendo direct, info for games that interest us in a much better delivered way, oh noes!

And fuck Sessler for the echo chamber thing. Mainstream doesnt give a flying fuck about the E3 conferences, they likely dont even know its happening. In the end they will see game trailers from youtube, open their local newspaper, and get the SAME information that they would otherwise have gotten if nintendo had an E3 press event. The press is feeling rejected, its a lot of hits on websites to have a stream of a conference. In the end, the games will be on the floor, which is from where we get 90% of the content they output during E3 WEEK anyway. They'll upload the same trailers that we saw in Nintendo Direct, again, its not an echo chamber. What a silly idea.

Best move from Nintendo's part. Honestly, all conferences i've seen in the past years, from nintendo, sony and microsoft were all

picard-facepalm.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not that I've missed out, I've not been hooked enough to bother. It's not interesting to me half of the time.

The conference was a time when I sat down paid attention, now they've lost that.
I didn't say you missed out, I said you missed. Your lack of interest that previous E3s have clearly failed to change with their format despite watching them is obvious enough.

Maybe this change will change your attitude towards them, maybe it won't, in the latter case it doesn't seem like they lost much so the mere possibility of the former is reason enough to change.

Meelow

Banned
Somebody mentioned in the other thread, but this one has way more activity.

How does this affect third parties?

It won't, if a third party wants to speak at the conference/direct than they can, Nintendo Direct isn't limited to Nintendo only games.

MJLord

I didn't say you missed out, I said you missed. Your lack of interest that previous E3s have clearly failed to change with their format despite watching them is obvious enough.

Maybe this change will change your attitude towards them, maybe it won't, in the latter case it doesn't seem like they lost much so the mere possibility of the former is reason enough to change.

That's a fair point.

• We wont have to sit and watch peoples play awkwardly (and this goes for all console E3s) on stage?
  • We wont have to endure the on the side translator say in english what Miyamoto san said? Subtitles saves twice the time!
  • In the end we end up with much more information because there'll be many nintendo direct, info for games that interest us in a much better delivered way, oh noes!

And fuck Sessler for the echo chamber thing. Mainstream doesnt give a flying fuck about the E3 conferences, they likely dont even know its happening. In the end they will see game trailers from youtube, open their local newspaper, and get the SAME information that they would otherwise have gotten if nintendo had an E3 press event. The press is feeling rejected, its a lot of hits on websites to have a stream of a conference. In the end, the games will be on the floor, which is from where we get 90% of the content they output during E3 WEEK anyway. They'll upload the same trailers that we saw in Nintendo Direct, again, its not an echo chamber. What a silly idea.

Best move from Nintendo's part. Honestly, all conferences i've seen in the past years, from nintendo, sony and microsoft were all

picard-facepalm.jpg

Just can't believe people, as consumers, are agreeing with the man from the press. Well put Buggy.

AzaK

I think it's an error to not have a conference at all (or a big one). Outside game journalists/sites, at least here in my country you could see some mentions to E3/TGS/Gamescom in the news on tv or newspapers, so you can see something about the conferences outside gaming forums/sites. Now with this, only sony and ms will be mentioned in this kind of places regarding this events.

Oh god! Brilliant.

Calamari41

41 > 38

It doesn't sound like you specifically would ever be interested in buying a Nintendo product anyway. The Nintendo Directs have been absolutely everywhere (they usually shut down this site when they happen). Sites like IGN report on them like they report on E3 conferences, and the front page of GAF is usually half filled with threads on what was just announced for a week. And this is all for non-E3 Directs, which wouldn't have ever happened in the first place if they waited until E3 to say a word like you seem to expect or want. Your lack of interest doesn't mean that they haven't been a huge boon to Nintendo.

And as has been said constantly in this thread, the only difference between the E3 Nintendo Direct and the usual E3 Nintendo Conference is the name, and the removal of investor fluff. Win/win.

Anyone familiar with boxing? Right before the match, they so a "weigh in" in front of the press & public. A formality, sure, but a necessary theatric. That's what e3 has become. Does it necessarily mean that Nintendo isn't prepared for the match? On course not. But, it's very telling that they won't even show up. *sigh*

Read the thread, or at least the title. Nintendo will be there in full force.

breakfuss

Anyone familiar with boxing? Right before the match, they do a "weigh in" in front of the press & public. A formality, sure, but a necessary theatric. That's what e3 has become. Does it necessarily mean that Nintendo isn't prepared for the match? Of course not. But, it's very telling that they won't even show up. *sigh*

what I find disturbing is that Nintendo showed Pikmin 3 over a year ago. or was it 2 years ago?

Why can't they show Mario? One can only assume that it's because Mario U is at least another year away.

And the press show canceled because there's nothing really that impressive to show.

The_Lump

Banned

picard-facepalm.jpg

This. Was going to add to it but it puts it perfectly imo.

Everyone; stop forming your own stupid opinions immediately and just go with this.

Porcile

As a Nintendo fan who can't go to E3, the lack of a press conference makes zero difference to me. If this means we get more info trickled out over a period of a few days via Directs then I'm happy.

Sessler is right. Lack of a press conference will make Nintendo into litte more than a footnote in the mainstream press's E3 coverage. At least they could've stood up there with the big boys to make it seems like they're still relevant.

Sadist

Sessler is right. Lack of a press conference will make Nintendo into litte more than a footnote in the mainstream press's E3 coverage. At least they could've stood up there with the big boys to make it seems like they're still relevant.
So these press meetings Nintendo will organize are vaporware now?

JDSN

Banned

What is the amount of precense that Nintendo will have in E3? Its there a way to measure? Is there a detailed or vague schedule of the stuff they might or might not show?

ari

Banned
what I find disturbing is that Nintendo showed Pikmin 3 over a year ago. or was it 2 years ago?

Why can't they show Mario? One can only assume that it's because Mario U is at least another year away.

And the press show canceled because there's nothing really that impressive to show.
Almost every nintendo direct dropped at least two to three bombs.

Not holding a mainline conference=full force. Gotcha, bud!
So conference equals full force at a trade show?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not holding a mainline conference=full force. Gotcha, bud!

They are going to have to same content, except broken up and tailored to each respective audience. You will be able to watch bombs being dropped left and right, except you won't have to sit through investor fluff first. Stop trying to be snarky when you have no idea what you're talking about.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
1 bloated event of filler becomes 2 audience-focused event and a public video announcement tailored to gamers.
There's no reduction, only re-distribution.
But I want to see the sales and charts!
That stuff is important to me as a gamer. mmmmmmmmhmmmmmmm

-MB-

Only real mainstream press I ever saw e3 get over here, were during hardware unveils.
Big games etc fet reported on on non gaming websites here sure, but same goes for a ND that revealed big stuff. For instance I saw the news about LTTP2 on ever tech site here in Holland, and even some internet neews websites.
So ND being an echo chambers for us Ninthings is a stupid thing to say.
it's like some of you have no clue how the internet even works.

mephixto

Banned
This. Was going to add to it but it puts it perfectly imo.

Everyone; stop forming your own stupid opinions immediately and just go with this.

There is nothing to announce, nothing new to show at the end of a console gen, E3 best shows are always when new consoles are announced.

~Kinggi~

Banned
All this move does is confirm my strong belief Ninty are running into a brick wall this year, and they know it. They are retreating and restructuring for some other future, saving as much time and money as they can currently. No matter how you spin it though, this is a show of weakness from Nintendo, however smart financially it may be for them.

All this move does is confirm my strong belief Ninty are running into a brick wall this year, and they know it. They are retreating and restructuring for some other future, saving as much time and money as they can currently. No matter how you spin it though, this is a show of weakness from Nintendo, however smart financially it may be for them.

...Or that they recognize different groups want different information and after failing to please them all at once for the last few years, they can more actively target messages by splitting up information because it's 2013 and you don't fucking need to try to please 4 groups at once with a general presentation.

~Kinggi~

Banned
...Or that they recognize different groups want different information and after failing to please them all at once for the last few years, they can more actively target messages by splitting up information because it's 2013 and you don't fucking need to try to please 4 groups at once with a general presentation.

Companies with something truly great will find a way to impress and appeal to the masses in large stage productions. Always have always will. As Ninty has very little to impress, i am not denying this move doesnt make some sense for them, but its still clearly a weakness.

Companies with something truly great will find a way to impress and appeal to the masses in large stage productions. Always have always will. As Ninty has very little to impress, i am not denying this move doesnt make some sense for them, but its still clearly a weakness.

Well, the chasms in your logic certainly are impressive, at least.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well, the chasms in your logic certainly are impressive, at least.

If Nintendo announces a ton of impressive games and content, and splits it up to all the different media sources, and it trickles to all gamers everywhere, all anyone will be doing is scratching their heads as to why the heck ninty didnt blow it out with the hype at a conference like they've done in the past.

Hiltz

If Nintendo is so scared about saving up money, then why has it gone on a spending spree to snatch up numerous second-party deals, more collaborations, and localizations third party projects ? Nintendo's bringing out of the best software lineups had in years, and not just one console but two. It's doing all it can to despite how sluggish it has been these past months in regarding Wii U. Unlike Sony with the PS Vita, Nintendo showing it is committed to Wii U. Wii U's suffered early on, but we know the big games are coming this year. The kind of software Nintendo knows we've been waiting for since Wii U launched.

If Nintendo announces a ton of impressive games and content, and splits it up to all the different media sources, and it trickles to all gamers everywhere, all anyone will be doing is scratching their heads as to why the heck ninty didnt blow it out with the hype at a conference like they've done in the past.

"Hype" is the stupidest and worst thing to happen to gaming. Who gives a crap about hype? You can't sustain an industry on an endless hype cycle. The end result for the news receiver is the same.

MYE

1- Its cheaper
2- It cuts off a middleman that historically gravitates towards other content from other companies
3- Its easier to control what, how and when to release info.
4- No crowd reaction or spokesman performance to possibly deflate an announcement.

If their presentation is a hit, no one will give a shit about a live stage blowout. Look at Brawl

~Kinggi~

Banned
"Hype" is the stupidest and worst thing to happen to gaming. Who gives a crap about hype? You can't sustain an industry on an endless hype cycle. The end result for the news receiver is the same.

Hype gets people excited so that they become advocates for the product and drive sales. It has its downsides just like anything but its crucial for these companies if they intend to actually sell anything, thus allowing them to fund more cool shit.

nullset2

Nintendo day in the E3 week has always been the best day of that week since I have memory of E3. Will miss the conference for its delicious Reggie/Iwata/Shiggy/Bill random hijinks and thrill of watching new, exciting reveals live together with the board but come on everyone, Nintendo Direct has been bringing that stuff home lately.

I do find it odd that they decided to do this the very moment they need to be ultra-bombastic about their 1 year old new platform that needs to prove itself and three year old handheld hotness. Here's hoping there's cool unannounced games in the direct pipeline.

Ponn

Banned
I love all the people in this thread who are shit-talkin something they've never watched.

First, they aren't removed from an event, they're still at E3 and a lack of conference doesn't equal a deficiency in coverage.

Neither Nintendo or any other company give a shit about your "competition". If they did, Ubisoft wouldn't have won last year.

So, how is a large-scale presser superior to Nintendo's suggested method? Lack of memes? No clapping? Other shit that no one but the hardcore cares about?

Same reason lack of conf time hurt Vita perceptionally last year. The hardcore are the ones watching trailers and stuff from the E3 floors. The stuff that actually reaches regular consumers and mass media are the big shocker moments replayed from conferences.

Most media that goes to E3 are on strict schedules, ducks in a row and time committed to being wined and dined and conferences are the big ones. If Nintendo's grand plan is to put out a pre-packaged Nintendo Direct video during E3 on their website and call it a day that doesn't do shit for them. All the manpower and focus is going to be at these events the media is scheduled for, not at IGN offices all hands on deck waiting for a nintendo video to pop up on their site, it will end up a blurb amidst all the noise on their website.

Not only does it get overlooked, they get the perception they weren't even there, just like the Vita got last year. Sure you got games on the floor and closed door presentations, but who the hell is going to see them and you are depending on the media to cover them for the public and the public to parse through the sites. Then you got the perception the public and third parties will get that there is something wrong with Nintendo since they have no presence. Like they are in trouble or they have no confidence in Wii U.

If your console is doing badly sales wise, you don't inspire confidence in the buying consumer or attract third parties by basically pulling out of the biggest gaming event in the year designed to promote your plans for the rest of the year and the holidays. Again I point to the Vita and how well that worked out for them and the Vita. Now the word of mouth that you do have coming out of E3 from the press is "where were they?"

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
How do you mean?

Third parties aren't excluded from Nintendo Directs. If there is an exclusive game that they or Nintendo want shown, it will be there. You just probably won't have to sit and watch the CEO of the company pretend to play on a stage as the game bugs out behind him.

Is this necessary?

Well they no longer have the chance at being inclided in a Nintendo E3 conference, and there are some games that could use the exposure. Instead they're now relegated to hands on previews, which get buried behind all the AAA stuff, Nintendo games, and other conferences.

I'm sure they'd be happy being included in a Nintendo Direct, but it wouldn't reach the audience E3 conferences do.

Hype gets people excited so that they become advocates for the product and drive sales. It has its downsides just like anything but its crucial for these companies if they intend to actually sell anything, thus allowing them to fund more cool shit.

Even supposing hype is a good thing, why *can't* people get hyped for an ND in the a similar way to a conference?

I've yet to see anyone seriously argue they would watch the Press Conference but not the Nintendo Direct: Pre-E3 Conference Edition. You know why? Because it's the same thing, minus the live audience aspect. You're still watching a stream of people talking about video games.

The Press is still getting their own show. Are they not hiring out the Nokia Theatre once again?

Top Bottom