• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
people who are upset with the price should probably wait for the actual DLC model to surface.

8 x 200 points + 800 points for the base
3 x 500 points + 800 points for the base
8 x 500 points + 800 points for the base
8 x 800 points + 800 points for the base

these are very different models.

Exactly. It's also worth noting they aren't saying "The After Years, Vol. 1" here—this is probably base software that gets DLC updates, just like several of S-E's other WiiWare titles.

Looks like I'm going to hold off on FF4-2 for now. If all the episodes are 800 square can forget it.

Hopefully it will play out differently

Here I was hoping for Space Harrier Arcade. Thanks.

So has it been clarified how many episodes FF4-2 Wiiware is going to be? I'm hearing like 10 different answers(with most of them being 9).

Oh and HEY KONAMI! I just bought Contra: Hard Corps off Amazon for $8 and I even got a box & manual to go with it. Fuck you guyzzzzzz and your lack of Genesis VC support.

MrDaravon

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Looks like I'm going to hold off on FF4-2 for now. If all the episodes are 800 square can forget it.

Hopefully it will play out differently

Same. If the first episode is 800 and the rest are 500 I might bite (assuming that there are 9 episodes total).

Ranger X

800 points !!!!

:lol :lol :lol I knew it.

Squaresoft tax! Selling you parts of a game at the SNES price for EACH PART. Dude, i'm not buying a PS2 game there!! The total could be completely ridiculous.

How much what this bullshit on the cellphone?

Guys, this might be the full game right there, there's no mention of episodes anywhere in the PR. Let's wait for someone to get it and report.

chesspieceface said:
Guys, this might be the full game right there, there's no mention of episodes anywhere in the PR. Let's wait for someone to get it and report.

My thoughts exactly, but on the other hand I can't see S-E selling this game for only $8 as a whole (They won't dare try and sell each episode at that price either. They will have to compete with games of a much greater value in that case!)

I reckon they'll do the other episodes as DLC for like 300 points each.

What I can't believe is that even with less than two hours before the games are expected to go live we can't get any confirmation as to whether this is going to be broken up into episodes or not.

MoogPaul said:
kind of surprised no FF1 with FF4A. Seems like a missed opportunity.

No FF4 with FF4A would seem a bit more surprising wouldn't you agree?

thefro

Yeah, there's no way this is the whole game for 800 points with how Square operates.

Should be interesting to see what's there with the initial purchase and how Square prices the other chapters.

Wilsongt

chesspieceface said:

Except that...

RPGamer:

A new trailer has given us a definitive date for the North American WiiWare release of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. This sequel to the classic RPG Final Fantasy IV will be released on June 1, 2009.

Just what will be released is still unsure, due to some text in the trailer that states "Experience the captivating sequel in nine episodic tales." The After Years was first released in Japan as a cellphone game in twelve separate episodes. Cost or release format for these episodes in North America has yet to be revealed, though at least something should be unveiled on June 1.

Not to mention the official website has 9 separate headings under "Tales", each of which follow a specific character.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, definitely not buying that shit until we know what the pricing structure for the other episodes is gonna be.

If it's 800 each, then, even though FFIV is my favorite game ever, Square Enix can kiss the fatest part of my ass. I have a feeling that not even Square is arrogant enough to charge 800 for each of them, though.

Carlisle

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, definitely not buying that shit until we know what the pricing structure for the other episodes is gonna be.

If it's 800 each, then, even though FFIV is my favorite game ever, Square Enix can kiss the fatest part of my ass. I have a feeling that not even Square is arrogant enough to charge 800 for each of them, though.
This is why I'm buying it all regardless of price. I'm a sucker. And I'm part of the problem. SE knows this and knows there are others out there like me, so they have the SE tax because we'll pay it, get brutally sodomized by it, and ask for more.

Ranger X

Carlisle said:
This is why I'm buying it all regardless of price. I'm a sucker. And I'm part of the problem. SE knows this and knows there are others out there like me, so they have the SE tax because we'll pay it, get brutally sodomized by it, and ask for more.

You are the problem of gaming and the reasons why big corporation are craving their "digital distribution only era". They no they can control you all and selling you their poo-poo in chunks for a way higher price than they would have been able to sell it to you in package. They also aren't factoring it's fucking bytes and not a physical release because they also know you will buy anyways.

So yeah, continue to think like you do and one day my whole gaming will be ruined and overpriced + we won't actually own our stuff. How would you like "rent only" world heh?

You can balk at this being overpriced and a bad effect of the digital distribution era, but it's because of the digital distribution era that such a niche project even exists. This stuff was never going to be a retail release. A new "16 bit" RPG sequel to a nearly twenty year old game is aimed at a pretty specific audience, who now can either signal that they're willing to pay enough to have their niche catered to, or that they don't care enough at that price.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Clever Pun said:
that is my hope at this point. Is there also any possibility that this is more than one of the original chapters?
Very possible. The Japanese version had 12 chapters from what I understand, so if they're releasing it in 9 parts here, at least one release is made up of multiple chapters. Which I assume would be the first part.

Unless you're talking about this release having more than one of the 9 stated episodes in it. Which...who knows. :lol

Ranger X

JoshuaJSlone said:
You can balk at this being overpriced and a bad effect of the digital distribution era, but it's because of the digital distribution era that such a niche project even exists. This stuff was never going to be a retail release. A new "16 bit" RPG sequel to a nearly twenty year old game is aimed at a pretty specific audience, who now can either signal that they're willing to pay enough to have their niche catered to, or that they don't care enough at that price.

Not exactly. It's stuff like this that keep us there, "hardcore gamers". If there wasn't such stuff out there we would probably invest less in gaming. Less and less and starting to be lapsed because nothing at retail would interest us. This is when general videogame sales would actually go down instead of increase in general. Then what would this create? This would push publishers to eventually risk more and get the games on the store shelve a little more diverse or else everybody would eventually become bored. Your niche games would the reappear in retail form.

bomb_jack

How much gameplay is in each of the cellphone game chapters? Is it at least chock full of side-quests/weapons/optional bosses?

Ranger X

bomb_jack said:
How much gameplay is in each of the cellphone game chapters? Is it at least chock full of side-quests/weapons/optional bosses?

There's no way to spin this. If all episodes are 800 points IT IS the most ridiculous pricing ever. Let's face it, it does cost more than a 360 or PS3 game. It's impossible to reach such production values, nostalgia or not. It's completely out of this fucking world.
They could have reached something like a DS game price or something but no, they TRIPLE the middle range DS price. WTF WTF

I can't believe anyone swallowing this. If you buy this you simply are retarded and validate the dream of huge corporations to create their dream's fiscal paradise that is "digital era only".

Wilsongt

Ranger X said:
There's no way to spin this. If all episodes are 800 points IT IS the most ridiculous pricing ever. Let's face it, it does cost more than a 360 or PS3 game. It's impossible to reach such production values, nostalgia or not. It's completely out of this fucking world.
They could have reached something like a DS game price or something but no, they TRIPLE the middle range DS price. WTF WTF

I can't believe anyone swallowing this. If you buy this you simply are retarded and validate the dream of huge corporations to create their dream's fiscal paradise that is "digital era only".

This is truly a case of BOHICA if I ever saw it. :lol

Either way... I such a sucker for anything FFIV... However, we won't know what's all included for another 20 minutes or so...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Considering that nowhere is it referred to as 'Volume One', I think it's safe to say that this is either a base package, with cheaper add-on DLC coming later, or it's all nine episodes all smooshed into one (I can dream, right?).

Releasing each of the nine episodes at 800 points would be ludicrous.

JaseMath

As JSnake pointed out, the description doesn't specify if FFIV:TAY is one piece of episodic content or the whole thing. Anybody know for sure?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
JasonMCG said:
As JSnake pointed out, the description doesn't specify if FFIV:TAY is one piece of episodic content or the whole thing. Anybody know for sure?

We'll probably have a better idea in about 15 minutes when it goes up on the shop channel.

Ranger X

Wilsongt said:
This is truly a case of BOHICA if I ever saw it. :lol

Either way... I such a sucker for anything FFIV... However, we won't know what's all included for another 20 minutes or so...

Yes we know. They said it would be 9 episodes already for Wiiware. So what you have there is one episode.

Balb

JoshuaJSlone said:

You don't think they could have put this game on the DS?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ranger X said:
Yes we know. They said it would be 9 episodes already for Wiiware. So what you have there is one episode.

Where did Nintendo or SE say this? The only thing I've seen said, officially, is that the game is split up into nine episodes, not that it would specifically be sold in nine episodes.

Wilsongt

aidan said:
Where did Nintendo or SE say this? The only thing I've seen said, officially, is that the game is split up into nine episodes, not that it would specifically be sold in nine episodes.

Do you HONESTLY think that Square-Enix would pass up a chance to milk as much money out of their prize franchise as possible by releasing something like this for only 800 points?

Hi SE, how you doing? Gosh, it's been such a long time. I'd like you to meet my new friends the iTunes App Store and Steam. Ok, well, see you later!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hopefully S-E compiles every FF4: The After on a single Wii DVD but I doubt that will ever happen. Still highly interested in getting the episode, tho.

tim1138

I posted this in the FFIV After thread:

tim1138 said:
Extra episodes are treated as DLC and will cost 300 pts a pop and the first is out today with 3 in July, 3 in August and one in September.

-edit-

Also fairly small, with all but the last one being 5-7 blocks. The final part is 17 blocks. Also purchasing looks to be done in game.

Teknoman

I dont think all episodes will be 800pts. But then again, the game is 114 blocks, so im sure its multiple chapters in one download. Also the option select story is greyed out.

EDIT: Guess I was right. Also OMG THE RED WINGZ!!

Wilsongt

I wonder how long each episode is expected to last... I would be disappointed if I blow through each of them in an hour or so...

Wilsongt

PataHikari said:
So once again GAF jumps to the most retarded conclusion possible, gets angry about it, and is promptly proven wrong.

A typical day on GAF.

Now hush and go back to making funny FFV captions. :lol

Mighty Flip Champs is pretty awesome. Puzzle mechanic feels very nice and some of the puzzles really do make you think about your next move (especially a couple of the timing based ones)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mighty Flip Champs is great so far. Completely worth the 800 pts if you like platform puzzlers.

Hobbun

I was figuring SE wouldn't try charging us $72 for the entire set. SE has made some dumb decisions, but I didn't think they would be that dumb.

I can deal with the price if the first is $8 and the rest $3 a pop. What annoys me, and what I was afraid of, is they are going to take forever to release the whole game. It won't be completely out until September. That sucks.

kswiston

I'm theoretically willing to spend $37 on a 16bit Final Fantasy from Square Enix. I'm definitely picking up the first installment, and if I like what I'm playing, I'll pick up the rest. It sort of sucks that they will be spreading the game out over 3 months, but I can see why they are doing it. For most people, it's much easier to swallow an $8 Wiiware game, with $3 DLC installments every week or two than a $30+ Wiiware game with no DLC. People are used to spending $5-15 on WiiWare/XBLA/PSN titles and anything over that price range is deemed a rip-off regardless of the amount of gameplay offered.

Top Bottom