• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2012

Wiz

If you're looking for content, I'd go with Cave Story. But you might want to wait on that since Cave Story+ is right around the corner. In that case, I'd go with Mutant Mudds. Fantastic game.

My vote is for Mutant Mudds.

Well I did play the Mutant Mudds demo and enjoyed it quite a lot. Looks like I'll pick that one up first then. And I guess I'll wait for Cave Story+ to release before I try that. Thanks.

Banjoman

I'm trying to play Kid Icarus "2" but I can't even beat the first boss. Is the game actually difficult or is it just me?
I feel that Arino vibe...

Teknoman

About the 3ds mic...where is it exactly, and has anyone had any trouble playing bowsers inside story with it? Asking because of the spirit tracks troubles discussed earlier.

About the 3ds mic...where is it exactly, and has anyone had any trouble playing bowsers inside story with it? Asking because of the spirit tracks troubles discussed earlier.

Underneath the touchscreen, bottom right. Tiny little hole. It should be fine.

Roto13

Well I did play the Mutant Mudds demo and enjoyed it quite a lot. Looks like I'll pick that one up first then. And I guess I'll wait for Cave Story+ to release before I try that. Thanks.

Yeah, no reason to buy DSiWare Cave Story if you have a 3DS. The 3DSWare version will most likely be superior. Unless they screw it up, which they might. :p

Murrah

Banned

Inferno already answered location question, but for the record, I had huge problems with one of the giant Bowser battles when I replayed it on my 3ds -
the mole train one, since fire's your only way of damaging it and you have a set number of turns to beat it
. Maybe it's my fault or my 3ds mic is messed, but I never had problems with anything mic related on my phat, lite or DSi while the 3ds one has caused me nothing but problems

Kunan

Definitely going to pick up Cave Story+! I got Cave Story DSiWare, but man if he isn't bang on when he says that it looks horrendous on the 3DS. I'm not much of a graphics whore but, the one thing I can't stand is blurriness.

Definitely going to pick up Cave Story+! I got Cave Story DSiWare, but man if he isn't bang on when he says that it looks horrendous on the 3DS. I'm not much of a graphics whore but, the one thing I can't stand is blurriness.
You can press and hold Start or Select when launching the game (or any DS/DSiWare game) to play it at its proper pixel resolution.

It'll be windowboxed a bit, but it should look a lot better overall.

Chopper

I'm trying to play Kid Icarus "2" but I can't even beat the first boss. Is the game actually difficult or is it just me?
Dude. Honestly, I'm not sure anyone's played it. I haven't seen any impressions here since its release, and I've asked a couple of times..

I'm sure I have a vague memory of playing it when I was a kid. Couldn't be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it was difficult, like its older brother. How is it otherwise?

Banjoman

Dude. Honestly, I'm not sure anyone's played it. I haven't seen any impressions here since its release, and I've asked a couple of times..

I'm sure I have a vague memory of playing it when I was a kid. Couldn't be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if it was difficult, like its older brother. How is it otherwise?
I'm enjoying it. If only I could go a little further... Anyway I haven't play the first one yet, but I think this second episode is quite similar to the original game for the NES.
If anyone liked that, I think they will like this too.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, which one of these platformers on the eShop should I get first? I plan to get them all eventually but I think I should finally buy at least one really soon. Amount of content doesn't really matter to me, it just has to be enjoyable enough for me to finish it.

-Mighty Switch Force
-Mutant Mudds
-Cave Story
-Shantae: Risky's Revenge
-3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
-VVVVVV

I agree with the others. Wait for Cave Story+, but it is the best of the choices out of the ones I've played. Kirby is lots of fun and has a decent amount of content. There is a demo of Mutant Mudds if you want to test it first.

Trailer for Art of Balance TOUCH! coming May 24th in EU. This marks Shin'en's 2nd game on the eShop in just a few months time.

Hopefully F.A.S.T 3D coming next....
Weren't they working on a new Jett Rocket game for the eShop, something about surfing.

Man this kinda depresses me, cause I know I'm going to be buying Cave Story again for like the 5th time and I still havent been able to finish it on any version :/

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm quite surprised at Mutant Mudds. I downloaded the demo, and it's definitely a game i'll be purchasing. I tend to like chiptune music and 8 bit graphics, and the platforming is fun as well.

Lijik

Inexplicably bought 3D Classics Urban Champion on a whim today.
The game is of course still garbage after all these years, but wow! The 3D effects are extremely nice when you crank it up to the most intense option in the options and turn on the isometric camera mode.
I hope someone with a much better game steals whats on display here. Watching the camera shifting from its regular view to an isometric one revealing the pixelated world as a low-poly one just doesn't get old

Still not worth 5 bucks and I kinda hate myself for buying it, but man the 3d is nice

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inexplicably bought 3D Classics Urban Champion on a whim today.
The game is of course still garbage after all these years, but wow! The 3D effects are extremely nice when you crank it up to the most intense option in the options and turn on the isometric camera mode.
I hope someone with a much better game steals whats on display here. Watching the camera shifting from its regular view to an isometric one revealing the pixelated world as a low-poly one just doesn't get old

Still not worth 5 bucks but man the 3d is nice

It's insane how much effort they put into it.

Also the game just gets stuck into your mind after awhile. I'm glad I didn't pay real money for it but I'm also glad I have it when I absolutely need to punch some green haired punk into the sewer.

Ya know, with all of this Nintendo scheduling games and no Virtual Console games in forever, I have had a great idea to start a review site where I review 3DS eShop games (along with games from all other systems, movies, and even books, but mostly 3DS games) and have it scheduled to a certain day of the week. Sometimes having two or three reviews a week but most of the time having one, kinda like me trolling Nintendo and trolling anyone that would follow the review site.

I actually have been thinking about doing this for awhile, and actually did do it for a few weeks last year but I ran out've reviews to quickly. I'm not sure where I would start it (Blogger? Posterous? I'm thinking of those two) but I really wanna do this.

What does everyone think of this idea? I wouldn't review new stuff that was just released but pick from the library of 3DS and other things. That way viewers of the review site could maybe see a new review of a game they might've missed. The reviews would be short, and would only tell why a liked or disliked a game. I'm not very good at writing reviews but writing them has become something that I do while bored so yea.

I have already written 45 reviews. And I usually write one or two each week. I probably won't start it until December/January tho since I wanna build up enough reviews and have a good computer for editing blog posts. So yea...just wanted to throw this idea out and ask if anyone would think this is a good idea for me to do. (I'm doing it anywayz...whenever I get a good computer)

Also, ugh, still no Virtual Console games. And now the 3DS is getting digital spam like WiiWare and DSiWare are. (Nah that bird game looks kinda cool, but not interested in another high score game.)

jgkspsx

I beat Myths and Monsters on the GBA without much trouble. I always thought it was much easier then Kid Icarus.

EDIT: Oops, sorry.

zigg

Only on systems with styluses. The 360 version was intolerable to me.
Which is why it should be on 3DS!

(or maybe Wii U? I had entertained the idea of it working with a Wii Remote pointer too, at one time)

The 3D effect would be lost, plus I don't want my touch screen destroyed again.
I think touch screens are more resilient than they were back then.

jgkspsx

The 3D effect would be lost, plus I don't want my touch screen destroyed again.
It didn't destroy my screen.

I think Sakurai is too busy to do anything with Q? these days, but I would be up for Meteos 3DS. Or Lumines. Just not Gunpey. (Poor Yokoi.)

I thought it was much easier also. Still a great game.

The game seems much easier until I get to the first boss, but i just shoot it over and over and nothing happens. That's on an original cartridge, too, not the VC version. Been trying to pass that stage for years.

gerudoman

The game seems much easier until I get to the first boss, but i just shoot it over and over and nothing happens. That's on an original cartridge, too, not the VC version. Been trying to pass that stage for years.
That's really strange. If you're hurting him at least you should see his sprite flickering. It takes a ridiculously amount of shoots to take him down, though. I agree with the game being easier than the first one until the boss, Eggplant wizards are much more harmless and a great way of grinding hearts. Not having vertical scroll makes things a lot easier too.

I downloaded it today and I'm quite satisfied. Gameplays videos didn't convinced me at all but in the end it's really similar to the first one and the controls have been improved a lot. At first it can be a little bit confusing by the way horizontal scroll works but you get used in a couple of minutes. Music is surprisingly catchy too, although quite repetitive.

I would completeley recommend it, even more at the great price it has. Does anybody knows if there's some kind of second quest or a harder mode once you've finished it?

Capndrake

EU update this week:

3DS VC: Sonic Labyrinth (Game Gear)
eShop: VVVVVV
DSiWare: Curling Super Championship
Wii VC: Wonder Boy in Monster Land (VCA), Monster World IV (MD)

Sonic Labyrinth is on its way! oh how long i've waited to put back on the slow down shoes!
Or maybe, just maybe i'd sooner get VVVVVV, yeah that seems like the better option.

How long is Mudds?

6-7 hours to 100% for me. Could vary a lot depending on skill. I thought it was good but overpriced by a couple bucks.

---

Anyway, does someone know of any good JP only DSiWare/e-Shop games? I just got Rabi Laby on the XL and I remembered there were a bunch of others in Japan.

Rabi x Laby 2
Rabi x Laby 3
Rabi Laby Gaiden: Witch's Cat
Bloody Vampire
Picross e
Picross e 2

There was that Tingle DSiWare game, but it just seemed like a novelty.

Have Nintendo of Europe said anything about Sakura Samurai? Seems so weird the way they kinda just completely passed on it.

But hey, all those Virtual Console releases. Sonic Labyrinth, go us~!

Top Bottom