• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

alejob

I thought that LM was OK, nothing special. But I agree that with new controller a sequel has lots of potential. Can't wait for E3 :D

I just want Mario Kart Online:)

MrSardonic said:
you know I wish Nintendo would announce at E3 that they will finally stop shafting Europe. They've been talking about it for years, but Europe still sees hardware and software months after the US and at inflated prices. DSL and new DS games will be late to Europe, Wii will be late to Europe, Wii games will miss the Xmas period in Europe and get March release dates - it's a standard and pathetic pattern, especially given the size and importance of the European market. Referencing the occasional title that made it out within 4 weeks of US launch does not make up for the systematic delays in the majority of titles and updates/colors of hardware.

Whoever stops fucking Europe first will win

To be fair, it has got better. We've even got some games before Japan/US like Mario Kart, Another Code, Minish Cap, etc. Hopefully Wii will encourage the trend.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
the only thing im praying for from this conference is a launch for summer or before. im convinced that the price point will be better than anyone expects, though. as far as games go, i want to see jet grind radio wii or star tropics wii .... heh i can dream right?

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Sorry if posted but...
http://gonintendo.com/?p=2487

AOL have seen MP3 and apparently it looks practically finished according to them.

old, and aol doesnt know anything.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
do they not lock these threads and start fresh ones to be sticked for the conference?

In 24 hours Nintendo will fully reveal the future of videogames. We have waited for this day for 3 years, and I have full confidence that Nintendo will deliver us.

For too long we've used tacky controllers that don't give you proper control, as well as graphics that don't look nearly as interesting as real life locations. Nintendo will change all that. Instead of fumbling with 30 buttons on a controller, we will now be able to use our entire arm to control the game, as god intended. Although God created the penis, which is the greatest gaming device of all time, Miyamoto has blessed us with a man made marvel that offers the penis' closest competition. Something that has never been fully imagined by human minds.

Some have complained about the graphics of the Revolution, but in the end they are nothing more than heretics. Thousands of years ago the apostle John advised man to "believe" and he would be saved. Today, the Tri Force of Nintendo prophecy - Matt, Aries, Nighttrain - beseech us to simply "believe" too. It's not about facts, nor science, both of which are man made. It's about belief. I believe the Revolution will be as powerful as the already crippled Xbox 360. I believe that the Revolution will make me say wow. I believe that the Revolution will be...a Revolution.

And as Tomorrow slowly peaks over the horizon of time, I look forward to rejoicing with my fellow breatheran. Tomorrow, the world changes.

MrSardonic said:
do they not lock these threads and start fresh ones to be sticked for the conference?

No, these ones will be stickied.

Anyone know if Ill be able to view this board with my Jr. tag? Or am I going to have to make useless posts before Monday?

blahness

PhoenixDark said:
In 24 hours Nintendo will fully reveal the future of videogames. We have waited for this day for 3 years, and I have full confidence that Nintendo will deliver us.

For too long we've used tacky controllers that don't give you proper control, as well as graphics that don't look nearly as interesting as real life locations. Nintendo will change all that. Instead of fumbling with 30 buttons on a controller, we will now be able to use our entire arm to control the game, as god intended. Although God created the penis, which is the greatest gaming device of all time, Miyamoto has blessed us with a man made marvel that offers the penis' closest competition. Something that has never been fully imagined by human minds.

Some have complained about the graphics of the Revolution, but in the end they are nothing more than heretics. Thousands of years ago the apostle John advised man to "believe" and he would be saved. Today, the Tri Force of Nintendo prophecy - Matt, Aries, Nighttrain - beseech us to simply "believe" too. It's not about facts, nor science, both of which are man made. It's about belief. I believe the Revolution will be as powerful as the already crippled Xbox 360. I believe that the Revolution will make me say wow. I believe that the Revolution will be...a Revolution.

And as Tomorrow slowly peaks over the horizon of time, I look forward to rejoicing with my fellow breatheran. Tomorrow, the world changes.

you are a day early

PhoenixDark said:

Maybe you should have waited until tomorrow for this.

jarosh

wiikiddance1qp.gif
wiikiddance1qp.gif
wiikiddance1qp.gif
wiikiddance1qp.gif

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
No, these ones will be stickied.

Anyone know if Ill be able to view this board with my Jr. tag? Or am I going to have to make useless posts before Monday?

Please someone answer this Q. Id really hate to miss reactions from this board.

littlewig

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Why wait to rejoice? Nintendo is going to bless us tomorrow - it's a fact.

You can't act too early, we need all our forces to strike at once or else all is lost.

Soldier, do you try to fail?

PhoenixDark said:

Aries is dead. ;)

Gawaian

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Please someone answer this Q. Id really hate to miss reactions from this board.
The mods have said that neither lurkers nor junior members will be banned from the forums, so don't worry.

JavyOO7

alejob said:
I thought that LM was OK, nothing special. But I agree that with new controller a sequel has lots of potential. Can't wait for E3 :D

I just want Mario Kart Online:)

Oooh Mario Kart. :)

TBH, there's not alot Nintendo can do to improve Mario Kart right now. MK DS was pretty darn close IMO to eclipse the original MK.

The thing with MKDS that bothered me to hell was the snaking. Yeah, it's been around in previous MK games I know. But will the Revolution version have speed boosts again, or do we duke it out old school and attempt to power drift through the corners like the original MK? I think that's the one big hurdle Nintendo has to decide.

Oh yeah, MK Revolution HAS GOT TO BE ONLINE with EIGHT PLAYERS. None of this 4 player business. And improve the course design... MK DS had some pretty good courses IMO.

cvxfreak

JavyOO7 said:
Oooh Mario Kart. :)

TBH, there's not alot Nintendo can do to improve Mario Kart right now. MK DS was pretty darn close IMO to eclipse the original MK.

The thing with MKDS that bothered me to hell was the snaking. Yeah, it's been around in previous MK games I know. But will the Revolution version have speed boosts again, or do we duke it out old school and attempt to power drift through the corners like the original MK? I think that's the one big hurdle Nintendo has to decide.

Oh yeah, MK Revolution HAS GOT TO BE ONLINE with EIGHT PLAYERS. None of this 4 player business. And improve the course design... MK DS had some pretty good courses IMO.

I hope we get a lot more classic courses online too. It was so fun playing a few courses in MKDS online that were from the previous. I'd like to see an all Rainbow Road course. :D

mCACGj

Don't know if it's been posted, but Gametrailers is having a free live webcast of Nintendo's press conference on Tuesday, just a heads up.

Aurora

MrSardonic said:
you know I wish Nintendo would announce at E3 that they will finally stop shafting Europe. They've been talking about it for years, but Europe still sees hardware and software months after the US and at inflated prices. DSL and new DS games will be late to Europe, Wii will be late to Europe, Wii games will miss the Xmas period in Europe and get March release dates - it's a standard and pathetic pattern, especially given the size and importance of the European market. Referencing the occasional title that made it out within 4 weeks of US launch does not make up for the systematic delays in the majority of titles and updates/colors of hardware.

This is all so true. My friends and I are getting more and more pissed off about this. The thing that gets me the most angry is that in the UK we have to wait months and months after the NA release of games... and when they finally get here they're exactly the same. I mean literally word-for-word identical. You bastards make me wait half a year extra for a game - the least you could do is correct the spellings. "Mom"? "Honor"??? AAAAARGH! </rant>

Trurl

Banned
Aurora said:
You bastards make me wait half a year extra for a game - the least you could do is correct the spellings. "Mom"? "Honor"??? AAAAARGH! </rant>
"Mom" and "Honor" are the correct spellings. :p

cvxfreak

I think the early Australian DS Lite launch is a sign of the things to come. I'm sure Iwata is genuinely interested in getting Europe back on track for Nintendo. I'm sure he's noticed DS sales there being greater than in the US.

SuomiDude

MrSardonic said:

What are you (and those others) talking about? Sure, there's some games that still take ages to come here, but most of the time the games are only a month or two (or three at most) late. You simply can't ignore the fact that the translation takes time.

Also since everything is released here "couple of" months later, we will still be playing all the games all the time. I mean, when we're playing some game in January, we're done with it when some new game comes out in February. It doesn't matter if some game has been released in US or Japan already, because we haven't played the previous game yet (which was released in US or Japan a month earlier), so we always have something to play before the next game comes "late".

The only thing different is that we (Europeans) can't discuss about the games with some (US) forum members at the same time. But if you think about it, US is as much screwed compared to Japan as Europe is screwed compared to US. And it's again because of the translation time needed.

Nintendo could make it so that the games are translated to all languages before they're being released anywhere (including Japan), but you know that would be stupid. So the current system makes sense.

(I don't know if this made any sense, so in short: I think Nintendo is doing an OK job with European market)

Aurora

SuomiDude said:
What are you (and those others) talking about? Sure, there's some games that still take ages to come here, but most of the time the games are only a month or two (or three at most) late. You simply can't ignore the fact that the translation takes time.

Also since everything is released here "couple of" months later, we will still be playing all the games all the time. I mean, when we're playing some game in January, we're done with it when some new game comes out in February. It doesn't matter if some game has been released in US or Japan already, because we haven't played the previous game yet (which was released in US or Japan a month earlier), so we always have something to play before the next game comes "late".

The only thing different is that we (Europeans) can't discuss about the games with some (US) forum members at the same time. But if you think about it, US is as much screwed compared to Japan as Europe is screwed compared to US. And it's again because of the translation time needed.

Nintendo could make it so that the games are translated to all languages before they're being released anywhere (including Japan), but you know that would be stupid. So the current system makes sense.

(I don't know if this made any sense, so in short: I think Nintendo is doing an OK job with European market)

Please tell me this was a joke post.

SuomiDude

Aurora said:
Please tell me this was a joke post.

No, it wasn't a joke post. I've always been fine with Nintendo's handling of Europe. Though of course now thinking back (can't remember much from NES days as I didn't buy anything myself), things weren't that great back in 1990s when SNES games costed 100$ or more, and we only got handful of games, and like 1 RPG on SNES. But with every generation, Nintendo has improved a lot in Europe. We got more games and the game prices went down (N64 games "only" cost like 80-90$). It still took some time for games to come over here. With GC, the game prices went down to 60-65$, and again the games were released here earlier and earlier, in some cases even before US. Also we got some improved versions over US versions. That's also the last good thing about getting games last. If there's bugs and stuff, they'll usually get fixed to Euro versions.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
SuomiDude said:
You simply can't ignore the fact that the translation takes time

er, I could translate 90% of all games from English to French, by myself, in about 2 days. The translation excuse is weak and not valid

SuomiDude

MrSardonic said:
er, I could translate 90% of all games from English to French, by myself, in about 2 days. The translation excuse is weak and not valid

Fine, but tell me why US gets games usually later than Japan? Why don't they release the games 2 days later in US? The answer to that is probably the same which applies to Europe getting games later than US.

cvxfreak

MrSardonic said:

Yes, but someone has to actually program the French into the game, and then people have to play it and see if the French suits the nature of the game, and then there are revisions and revisions to go through to insure a quality product. Two day translations = all your base r belong 2 us. And then there's marketing and approval, and then the wait time for the other European translations.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Error2k4 said:
damn 400+ replies already :/

take it easy guys.

yeah i know. can you imagine what this forum, let alone the internet, will do on tuesday morning? total mayhem. ....totally looking forward to it!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You can see the tiniest bit of Nintendo's booth in the background of Gamespot's last video update - the GS booth is right in front of Nintendo and Sony. It's no biggie, you can just see big white banners with pictures of people playing with Wii controllers. (Can't see anything of Sony's btw, it's more off the side of the camera).

gofreak said:
You can see the tiniest bit of Nintendo's booth in the background of Gamespot's last video update - the GS booth is right in front of Nintendo and Sony. It's no biggie, you can just see big white banners with pictures of people playing with Wii controllers. (Can't see anything of Sony's btw, it's more off the side of the camera).

Where exactly on the site are the live videos?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Scroll down, their embedded into the page, you click on "Watch" to watch.

I must say, they're updating very frequently (mostly with nonsense, but heh ;)).

Peru

So here's what the Wii Mario game will be like.

As far as level design ideology goes, it will share many elements with the "old school" levels of Sunshine. More linear progression is the keyword here, linear progression instead of open subworlds with several 'missions' in each. When it comes down to the actual shape and feel of the levels, obviously they will be shaped around the wiimote and entirely around the wiimote. Whatever funky moves Miyamoto has come up with will decide how the obstacles will be. Undoubtedly they'll open for great fun and never-before-seen platform dynamics.

Note I'm not saying it will "be like" the fludd-less levels in sunshine, just that it takes it's linearity and 3d-ness with it and develops it into something entirely unique. The look? Probably much more fleshed out than those levels of SMS I mentioned above. I'm thinking it will be a full-fledged mushroom kingdom-ish universe... basically envision the 2D marios and make them 3D, only more intricate (and yet again; not wide-open like SM64).
What will this give us: Linearity limits movement and enables miyamoto and his team to create a level experience tightly around the funky control methods... and enabling a game where - when players have become experienced - you'll be able to achieve that great flow, rushing through a level with precise and carefully planned moves, something half-way lost in the open-ended 3d universe of SM64 and SMS.

Anyway, that's my prediction and I feel it's a very likely path..

Rocked

gofreak said:

Picture:

wii4xa.jpg

Top Bottom