• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting 04/24/2013 LIVE

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Upon reflection, abandoning the E3 press conference pissing contest could also be part of Nintendo pulling out of the typical console market in terms of marketing, mindshare, etc and accepting the fact that they will have to be their own thing.

Let's face it - no matter how much E3 is criticized, everybody waits to see who "wins" the press event, and the conference is a symbol of the major contenders being on the same playing field.

This could be seen as Nintendo packing up their toys and going home, for better or worse.

trixx

Why? From a business sense it's not a good idea. Having them connected exposes those whom only own one to the other. It also makes the community much larger considering how small the Wii U userbase is currently.
I don't really have a good explanation why. But I think that communities would feel too crowded to the point where posts would just drown out.

BooJoh

I'd rather have Nintendo Directs throughout the year announcing upcoming games than waiting an entire year to find out about games I won't be playing for up to a year or more.

Lunar15

Upon reflection, abandoning the E3 press conference pissing context could also be part of Nintendo pulling out of the typical console market and accepting the fact that they will have to be their own thing.

Let's face it - no matter how much E3 is criticized, everybody waits to see who "wins" the press event, and the conference is a symbol of the major contenders being on the same playing field.

This could be seen as Nintendo packing up their toys and going home, for better or worse.

This is so not true, it's not even funny. I don't think the Wii's success ever came out of an E3 conference, and neither the WiiU or the 3DS had catastrophic E3 conferences in relation to their bad launches. The correlation just isn't there.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What you say makes sense, and would definitely fit their longstanding "survive, survive, survive" priorities. It's just unfortunate, since that would likely equate to GameCube level industry relevance again. Was hoping for more coming off of how Wii sold, but oh, well.
The Wii is the anomaly for them. It did way better than any of their other consoles and the only one to outsell any of their handheld lines (and even then it only outsold the GBA with its truncated lifespan).

Nintendo isn't a stupid company. By now they must realize that the Wii U's expectations must lie somewhere between a Gamecube and a PS3 at the most extreme ends. Aka, every console of theirs sans the Wii.

Koodo

Banned
In clear words:

No E3 conference.
Gross.

The comfort of E3 was having a set date where it is expected that a plethora of announcements will be made (the actual expo itself can be discarded into oblivion). However, I suppose if they are still going to use that week to bombard everyone with information in their ~*~own way~*~, I'm fine with that. All I want is to be given a lot of information, I don't really care how they deliver it, though I will miss the pageantry of conferences.

Darryl

Banned
Upon reflection, abandoning the E3 press conference pissing contest could also be part of Nintendo pulling out of the typical console market and accepting the fact that they will have to be their own thing.

if nintendo doesn't have a conference, it will matter very little who "wins". they're putting an arrow through that entire section of press/discussion.

BooJoh

Upon reflection, abandoning the E3 press conference pissing contest could also be part of Nintendo pulling out of the typical console market in terms of marketing, mindshare, etc and accepting the fact that they will have to be their own thing.

The very fact that PS4 and Xbox Next aren't being revealed at E3 is pretty much a counter-point to your entire theory.

tajd

Banned
Nintendo:
"New 3D Mario at E3"
"New Mario Kart at E3"
"Smash Bros. Screens at E3"
"We won't be doing an E3 conference."

This is so not true, it's not even funny. I don't think the Wii's success ever came out of an E3 conference, and neither the WiiU or the 3DS had catastrophic E3 conferences in relation to their bad launches. The correlation just isn't there.

This.

Good advertising is and forever will be more important than E3. They'd be better served holding several of their own events each year if done correctly. I don't think this means "Direct only!!!!" either.

Glass Joe

Nintendo:
"New 3D Mario at E3"
"New Mario Kart at E3"
"Smash Bros. Screens at E3"
"We won't be doing an E3 conference."

I was about to make the exact same point. Maybe they will have a presence, just not do a presentation? Or is this their way of not having to meet internal deadlines?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

That's kind of the point I think.

E3 press conferences aren't doing anything for them. And haven't been for a while.

Some have argued that's true in general of E3 for all companies. But as far as Nintendo goes, anymore all a major E3 conference seems to accomplish is highlighting how they're not on the same wavelength as the other major console makers.

They appear to have gotten some attention with strategies such as Nintendo Direct and have carved out a relative niche there already. I suppose we'll see what their ideas are for expanding alternative venues.

The very fact that PS4 and Xbox Next aren't being revealed at E3 is pretty much a counter-point to your entire theory.

This is only really the first year that the typical E3 lock on such things has been majorly disrupted though. It's a recent phenomenon. Given how the last few E3s have gone for Nintendo, perhaps they would have bowed out of a big conference already if something like Nintendo direct had been established before.

I was about to make the exact same point. Maybe they will have a presence, just not do a presentation? Or is this their way of not having to meet internal deadlines?

They will hold:

a) Direct(s) for home fans
b) Press event/demo event
c) Retailer event

during E3 week.

Sounds like they will do smaller conferences and events like the 3DS little event at last year's E3. Maybe focusing on a big title per event or something like that.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So instead of disappointing us at E3...they decided not to show up at E3 at all. Nintendo has finally become self aware.

As someone alluded to earlier, why would you want to wait all year for one big data dump? Nintendo has been holding mini E3 conferences each month of the year so far. I personally have been very happy with each one. And if one doesn't happen to do anything for me, well there will be another one in a month to pick up the pieces.

I'm sure Nintendo isn't going to just release a regular old Direct during E3, though. It will at the very least be a bigger, better version of the thing. And let's hope they put out some demos, too! I personally would much rather have that than, what, live bands and a parade of executives reading scripts trying to sound cool?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thanks, Road.

Look at the bump they got putting full games on 3DS and Wii U...holy crap.

Animal Crossing is also the first mainstream example of a digital game doing really well on any console or handheld in Japan...basically ever.

We are not changing our overall business strategy, but already 11 years have passed since the current management structure was established in 2002. The planned changes this time aim to realize a generational change of our management structure. When these changes become effective, the average age of the board of directors will become 6.7 years younger than today.

Anyone asking for Nintendo to change how they operate will be disappointed. They are getting younger blood though.

antonz

Also, I would like to use this opportunity to talk about this year’s E3.

In the past we invited reporters, investors and analysts, industry partners, such as software publishers, and distributors who attended E3 to our large-scale presentations. We also used them as a communication tool in which we broadcast our presentations on the Internet to reach out to video game fans around the globe. I believe that many are expecting us to host a similar event this year.
On the other hand, since we set out on new endeavors such as Nintendo Direct two years ago in October, we have been paying special attention to the fact that different people demand different types of information from us. For example, as video game fans are looking for information about games, it seems that they are less interested in sales figures that investors and analysts on the other hand attach much greater importance to, and distribution partners are looking for information on how we are going to market our products in the immediate future. At previous financial briefing sessions we announced information about our products, showed videos and even uploaded the recording of these events onto our website, but given that we now have an established method such as Nintendo Direct, we feel that we will be able to deliver our messages more appropriately and effectively by doing so individually based on the various needs of different groups of people.
At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3.

First, we decided not to host a large-scale presentation targeted at everyone in the international audience where we announce new information as we did in the past.
Instead, at the E3 show this year, we are planning to host a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market. There will be one closed event for American distributors, and we will hold another closed hands-on experience event, for mainly the Western gaming media. Also, I did not speak at last year’s presentation, and I am not planning to speak at these events at the E3 show this year either. Apart from these exclusive events for visitors, we are continuing to investigate ways to deliver information about our games directly to our home audience around the time of E3. We will share more information about them once they have officially been decided.
During the E3 period, we will utilize our direct communication tools, such as Nintendo Direct, to deliver information to our Japanese audience, including those who are at this financial briefing, mainly focusing on the software that we are going to launch in Japan, and we will take the same approach outside Japan for the overseas fans as well.

there we go

Instro

I think they are underestimating the power of collective excitement generated by large events. The Wii was certainly bolstered by E3 when stories of lines and people sprinting to use it were rampant at E3. Directs are awesome, but they are targeting a much more focused audience of mostly core fans, and its particularly questionable when you consider that Nintendo doesn't participate in any other mainstream conference or way of announcing software like the vga's.

Its not really a huge issue since they will be present at the show but its a bit weird.

Busaiku

Why in the world were 2009 downloads so big?
Yeah, 2012 is bigger, but it's not that much bigger considering there are now full games and eShop titles.

Why in the world were 2009 downloads so big?
Yeah, 2012 is bigger, but it's not that much bigger considering there are now full games and eShop titles.

Thats 2010 - so DSi I guess.
Also remember the Wii was fucking big - it sold a lot of hardware and a tonne of software.

Apple did similarly, really down scaled its presence at a lot of the tech shows and pushed it out there on its own terms. Nintendo as a company is similarly isolationist; a kind of rickety games industry equivalent.

so nintendo last confernece was nintendoland fireworks

Oh God, why? They could have gone out with a bang...

Zing.

Seriously though, Nintendo's E3 conference was my favorite time of the year, even though the past few have been disappointing. This sucks. I guess mega Direct then?

donny2112

Thanks. How does this graph make any sense?

27l.jpg

How can you have 8% of the Tomodachi download sales be from people who bought the retail version and have no download experience? Is that retail DL card purchases for no-previous-download-history buyers?

Edit:
Oh, the pie chart is for Animal Crossing, and the bar chart is for Tomodachi. That probably makes more sense. :)

tajd

Banned
is the meeting still on going or is it over ? no tweets in a hour now :(

bet there getting sneak peaks are nintendo games

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thanks. How does this graph make any sense?

27l.jpg

How can you have 8% of the Tomodachi download sales be from people who bought the retail version and have no download experience? Is that retail DL card purchases for no-previous-download-history buyers?

8 percent of people not reading/just clicking whatever when registering club nintendo?

Sounds...a bit low actually!

Damn edit ruining my perfectly good joke which could have been followed up with a great Sticker Star zinger.

Also yes, that makes sense. Download is so good for those types of pick up and play games.

Off to bed, but I'm not seeing the "no E3 conference" thing. My reading is that it just won't be the venue for new announcements, but that they'll still have a show (which is why they reference all their new faces being there over and over).

nekomix

Getting rid of the huge fair that is E3 isn't a so current trend. Do you remember of 2006, when nearly every publisher wanted to scale down E3 and even tried to get more and more independent of E3 by organizing little conferences (hotels in 2007, remember? :-( ) ? We're in 2013 and some seem to finally find out solutions to use E3 in a different, more "singular" way.

Let's see how they manage it, looks interesting...

So many TBDs in that release schedule for Wii U, I doubt that's easing fear among either investors or buyers.

3DS is going to have a busy Summer though, that's for sure.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Not having an E3 conference is a terrible mistake.

Nintendo is already having a huge problem with console mindshare as far as this generational transition is going.

Top Bottom