• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting 04/24/2013 LIVE

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So should we start thinking no price drop for Wii U? The focus on software, software, software sounds like "we're not dropping price, we're going to justify the current price".

Or am I getting the wrong impression?

Nintendo's operating income for the last financial year got destroyed due to the loss they accrued on every Wii U sold. In order for them to achieve their forecasted operating income for the coming fiscal year they would have to at least break even on the Wii U: aka, no price drop.

Minions

Sounds like they will just have lots of demos to try out at E3. Can't say I'm surprised.

Nintendo's operating income for the last financial year got destroyed due to the loss they accrued on every Wii U sold. In order for them to achieve their forecasted operating income for the coming fiscal year would be to at least break even on the Wii U: aka, no price drop.

They need a price drop fair and simple. I expect the PS3/360 to be priced around $200 once the ps4 comes out.

So should we start thinking no price drop for Wii U? The focus on software, software, software sounds like "we're not dropping price, we're going to justify the current price".

Impression I've had as well.
There will be 'reductions' but not an announced price drop. Expect a good bundle in the summer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They definitely left it on the table just in case Sony or MS comes in with a really low pricepoint with no strings attached.

Brofield

What if they made the same playable demos that the press get to play at E3 downloadable on the eshop as soon as they're announced?

Get your hopes euthanized now, the reality will be far more harsh than otherwise.

Seriously, Nintendo letting people demo their games early? You and I and everyone else wish it were otherwise, but it's not gonna happen. Period.

donny2112

Well, they're not going to announce a price drop until maybe a couple of weeks before. Doesn't make sense to focus on games, games, games starting with Pikmin 3 in Summer and have nothing before, if there's not something else going on then. *shrugs* Who knows.

What if they made the same playable demos that the press get to play at E3 downloadable on the eshop as soon as they're announced?

Aren't press/show demos almost always a lot less polished and a lot more bug ridden than consumer demos? Not sure that would be a good idea for the great unwashed public

Beats

Get your hopes euthanized now, the reality will be far more harsh than otherwise.

Seriously, Nintendo letting people demo their games early? You and I and everyone else wish it were otherwise, but it's not gonna happen. Period.

My expectations are pretty low. I honestly don't expect that to happen and I'd be really surprised if it does.

以前は、この決算説明会の場で、製品に関する新情報などもお伝えして、それをインターネットで動画配信することも行ってきましたが、Nintendo Directのような新たな手法が確立した今、それぞれの異なる立場の皆様に、個別に情報発信を行うことにより、より的確で効果的な情報発信ができるのではないかと考えています。

In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

まず、例年のような世界中の皆様に向けた全方位向けの、新しいニュースを発信するような大規模プレゼンテーションを行わないことにいたしました。それに替わり、より小規模な米国向けソフトに焦点を当てた複数のイベントを計画しております。そのうちのひとつは米国流通関係者の皆様向けのクローズドなイベントで、もうひとつは、主に西洋のゲームメディアの皆様を対象としたクローズドな体験型のイベントです。また、私は昨年の「プレゼンテーション」に登壇しませんでしたが、今年もこれらのイベントに登壇する予定はしておりません。これらクローズドな来場者向けイベント以外に、E3の時期に当社からゲーム情報をご家庭におられるプレイヤーの皆様に直接お届けする新しい方法を継続して検討中ですので、決定次第、改めてお知らせしてまいります。

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last years presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Updated the trans.

Maybe they will schedule multiple, live Nintendo Directs throughout the week. Complete with announcements, on-stage demos, trailers, etc.

Yeah, Iwata's very proud of the Nintendo Direct concept, and I think they were testing the waters for this last year, when they had that pre-E3 video talking about the Wii U.

I'm not a fan. It's silly and petty, but I think there's this unique frisson you only get with a live event.

8ICJOud.jpg

Europe getting M&L4 a months earlier is their revenge for Fire Emblem.

This is an expensive year for me... I want a lot of those games....

DKCR3D, M&L4, Animal Crossing, Luigis Mansion 2, Mario Golf, Pokémon, Zelda....

donny2112

Nintendo's operating income for the last financial year got destroyed due to the loss they accrued on every Wii U sold. In order for them to achieve their forecasted operating income for the coming fiscal year they would have to at least break even on the Wii U: aka, no price drop.

I hope not, but have also been decrying the 100B Yen operating profit as an irresponsible goal to have in the face of Wii U sales. Nintendo has had years way, way above 100B Yen operating profit before, so was hoping they could be banking on super duper awesome 3DS sales and still slash the Wii U price. If they don't slash the price, the year head start will have likely gained them approximately nothing. :/

grandjedi6

They need a price drop fair and simple. I expect the PS3/360 to be priced around $200 once the ps4 comes out.

They won't. They can't make a profit like the shareholders demand if they do. They'd sooner sacrifice the Wii U than go another year with substantial losses. Their strategy for this year is rather simple: stop losing money on the Wii U and have the 3DS make the company money.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Each Nintendo Direct this year has been as big as or bigger than a typical E3 conference. What does the exact method of delivery matter when you're going to see the trailers and reveals either way? Was the Brawl reveal trailer any less awesome because it was released directly on the internet rather than being tagged onto the conference?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
In the past, we have announced new titles at Investor's Meetings and then uploaded videos onto the internet, but with new methods like Nintendo Direct, that we have now, we believe that we are able to provide more appropriate and effective information separately to people from different standpoints and interests [gamer, investor, etc].

First, we have decided not to hold a large-scale presentation where new news is presented to a general audience from all over the world as in previous years. Instead, we are planning several smaller events for software targeted at the American market. One of these will be a closed event for distributors, and another will be a closed event for the Western press. I did not appear in last years presentation, and I do not intend to appear in these events either. Apart from these closed events, during E3, we are deliberating how to deliver game information to those at home using new methods, so we will announce further plans later.

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Updated the trans.

What...The...Fuck...

Oooo, that's a good idea, too! I would love a TW101 demo as an E3 present.

Edit: And the new translation furthers your idea.

Minions

They won't. They can't make a profit like the shareholders demand if they do. They'd sooner sacrifice the Wii U than go another year with substantial losses. Their strategy for this year is rather simple: stop losing money on the Wii U and have the 3DS make the company money.

Sounds like a losing strategy to me. Especially if the PS4/Nextbox get subsidized with "subscription" fees. a $300 PS4/Nextbox (Even if it costs $450 after subscription (monthly) fees) will kill the Wii-u.

Brofield

Each Nintendo Direct this year has been as big as or bigger than a typical E3 conference. What does the exact method of delivery matter when you're going to see the trailers and reveals either way? Was the Brawl reveal trailer any less awesome because it was released directly on the internet rather than being tagged onto the conference?

I think hearing the resulting audience screams, applause and tears of joy is what makes those trailers so special. Just makes it feel like you're there too in some small way.

Like that SSBB reveal trailer, the audience collectively gasping and laughing at Snake's codec transmission in his reveal? Got my heart racing all the more faster.

LuuKyK

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Updated the trans.

Really?

Bullza2o

I'm okay with no E3 Conference. I actually have become used to and now prefer Nintendo Directs spread throughout the year rather than a yearly event.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The joke here is that everybody keeps saying E3 has become a shell of its former self and nearly unimportant - not just for Nintendo, but everyone.

Nintendo giving up on E3 press conferences was something predicted long before Wii U even launched, really.

donny2112

I hope not, but if so, can't see the sales situation improving by a ton (and it needs to improve by a ton from where it is now) for Wii U in the U.S. :/

sakipon

Exactly. I honestly think E3 and all other game shows are overrated. All I need is the news one way or the other.

-Horizon-

In clear words:

No E3 conference.

Updated the trans.

Wut?

So...directs and small press events only?

Lunar15

I think hearing the resulting audience screams, applause and tears of joy is what makes those trailers so special. Just makes it feel like you're there too in some small way.

Like that SSBB reveal trailer, the audience collectively gasping and laughing at Snake's codec transmission in his reveal? Got my heart racing all the more faster.

Which was not actually shown at the large Nintendo Press Conference, but rather the developer round table, which will most likely still be there.

tajd

Banned
imagine e3 nintendo confernece show all there games demos and finally before they go they say

one more thing go to wii u e-shop now and play all game you saw today and have your own e3 live in your living room

grandjedi6

I hope not, but have also been decrying the 100B Yen operating profit as an irresponsible goal to have in the face of Wii U sales. Nintendo has had years way, way above 100B Yen operating profit before, so was hoping they could be banking on super duper awesome 3DS sales and still slash the Wii U price. If they don't slash the price, the year head start will have likely gained them approximately nothing. :/

Sounds like a losing strategy to me. Especially if the PS4/Nextbox get subsidized with "subscription" fees. a $300 PS4/Nextbox (Even if it costs $450 after subscription (monthly) fees) will kill the Wii-u.

Nintendo's goal isn't to beat the 360/PS3 or gain market share. At least not anymore. The goal is to make profit to stem off a shareholder revolt. And if that means sacrificing the Wii U, so be it. Obviously they hope software will carry the Wii U to safety this year but even if it doesn't, a price drop doesn't seem to be in the cards.

wsippel

Banned

Yeah, this presentation and the statements in the earnings release make it pretty clear that they don't plan a price drop this year.

Calamari41

41 > 38
e3 demos on eshop during e3 week.

DO IT IWATA

This would honestly be huge for Nintendo, and for Nintendo specifically above the other two. Being able to play a level from the next 3D Mario six months before it's released? Or Zelda or Bayonetta or Mario Kart, etc etc? Some crazy people would buy the whole system for that!

donny2112

Nintendo's goal isn't to beat the 360/PS3 or gain market share. At least not anymore. The goal is to make profit to stem off a shareholder revolt. And if that means sacrificing the Wii U, so be it. Obviously they hope software will carry the Wii U to safety this year but even if it doesn't, a price drop doesn't seem to be in the cards.

What you say makes sense, and would definitely fit their longstanding "survive, survive, survive" priorities. It's just unfortunate, since that would likely equate to GameCube level industry relevance again. Was hoping for more coming off of how Wii sold, but oh, well.

grandjedi6

I hope not, but if so, can't see the sales situation improving by a ton (and it needs to improve by a ton from where it is now) for Wii U in the U.S. :/

Nintendo's no stranger to a failing console though. Their handheld market is way more important to them financially, as it has always been.

A mega Nintendo direct looks like what they are going with...

A one or two hour Nintendo Direct sounds great to mii! They should air it around E3!

edit: I also support the idea of having demos from E3 show up on the eShop (if not much glitches, represent near final product) on the days of E3 or a week after it! : )

Top Bottom