• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Network" logo spotted on 3DS box

lenovox1

That's terrible. They go from not supporting DD and DTS to skipping it altogether. :|

I think if you have a receiver that supports HDMI audio input, it'd support PCM, too. Besides, isn't uncompressed audio better than compressed audio? (ETA: That's a yes from wsippel)

IrishNinja

Not just "No ethernet port?" but "No optical port?" too! My receiver does optical only, damnit!

didnt even notice that before....fuuuuuuuuuuuuu
well, i was thinking of upgrading this year anyway, out of HDMI slots...

Wii U supports neither Dolby Digital nor DTS. It only supports linear PCM.

okay, shit, now i gotta make sure it supports this too.

Your receiver doesn't even do HDMI?

many don't; why does some of GAF assume this? didn't this only become a standard in like '09 or so?

Bullza2o

I looked at the logo again, and I found out that I really like the logo being an orange box...

Orange Box => Valve => Steam

Believe!

NOPE

ZRx7d.jpg

Fake.

There are no audio ports. There is an HDMI port, but that won't allow for audio because audio over HDMI would be digital, and that would mean that a Nintendo console would have digital audio.

Wii U supports neither Dolby Digital nor DTS. It only supports linear PCM.

Oh fuck, I probably should stop making jokes.

sfried

Fake.

There are no audio ports. There is an HDMI port, but that won't allow for audio because audio over HDMI would be digital, and that would mean that a Nintendo console would have digital audio.
But Nintendo consoles can have digital audio. In fact, I'm using a Wii2HDMI too hook up my system via HDMI cable and the audio works perfectly.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What the fuck is this?

No ethernet port? What a piece of shit. The Wii U never ceases to disappoint.

That sure is a bold statement considering we don't know absolutely anything about the final version of the console other than the fact that Nintendo will manufacture it.

Zee-Row

Banned
Nintendo takes forever when it comes to conforming to industry standards.

-They never wanted to embrace optical media with the SNES or N64.
-They didn't wan't to embrace online gaming with the Game Cube.
-Demos

Then when they finally do adopt these things they half ass it.

- Optical media being proprietary and not a standard format.
- Online games but no patch support or DLC
- Demos with limited plays.

I just don't understand what Nintendo is thinking but i continue to buy their stuff.

sfried

For some people, that's enough to be worried.
Heh. Just mention Nintendo and some people won't give a shit and/or avoid it like the plague.

That said, nothing in these posts seems to...expand on anything other than "Nintendo has a new network service? Inverstors meeting perhaps?". No confirmation of anything plus tons of bitching about Wii U.

Medalion

Banned
Tech heads want high end connections and as many multimedia streaming possibilities as possible, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. Be happy it will have HD finally lol

Zee-Row

Banned
I hate Wi-Fi mainly because its way slower than a wired line. I think that's the main reason why PS3 online players lag a lot.

Fredrik

That's terrible. They go from not supporting DD and DTS to skipping it altogether. :|
Isn't this exactly the same thing as with the PS3? On the PS3 you can either choose Bitstream and then you'll let the receiver decode the audio stream, or you can choose Linear PCM and then the PS3 will decode the audio stream? It should be zero difference other than if you look at your audio input info, with Linear PCM your reciever says "Multi Channel PCM" or something like that and with Bitstream it says "DTS HD Master" or whatever.

The bad thing here is that you either need to have a reciever with HDMI inputs or a TV that can output DD/DTS through optical to get any type of surround from the WiiU.

-Demos

I just don't understand what Nintendo is thinking but i continue to buy their stuff.

Well, at least:
-they make sensors successful in video games
-they make touch screen successful in video games
-they introduce the analog and vibration
-they introduce 3D

LevityNYC

Banned
Many players, like myself, like to run their HDMI cables directly to their TVs while running an Optical to the receiver to minimize video lag. You don't lost much audio fidelity at all and you get better input lag, than even if you do a video passthrough on HDMI through your receiver.

Terrell

Nintendo is not interested in following standards, they want to create new ones.

HDMI audio passthrough not a standard confirmed.

EDIT: Chances are, they'll add Toslink audio to a cable run from the video out port or a 3rd-party will if Nintendo won't, so calm the fuck down.
And another thing? The "no Ethernet" whining? We don't even know for sure the system had a fucking Wi-Fi card in it at E3 and CES, because it's A DEMO UNIT and nothing on the show floors connected to the god-damned internet anyways.

Seriously, guys? Tiniest bit of thought does a world of good.

Fredrik

Many players, like myself, like to run their HDMI cables directly to their TVs while running an Optical to the receiver to minimize video lag. You don't lost much audio fidelity at all and you get better input lag, than even if you do a video passthrough on HDMI through your receiver.
You know, I never realized that video lag would be such a problem until just a few months ago when we got a new TV. Running the audio through optical directly to the receiver while running the video through HDMI directly to the TV made the video and audio run comletely out of sync. Even when running the TV in Game Mode and setting every single picture processing off there was lag. And the TV couldn't pass through DD/DTS through it's optical out, just stereo.
It all ended with me getting a new receiver. Now I'm running everything with HDMI through the receiver which acts as a HDMI switch. It works perfectly. But my wallet is still crying. :/

GABDEG

We don't even know for sure the system had a fucking Wi-Fi card in it at E3 and CES, because it's A DEMO UNIT and nothing on the show floors connected to the god-damned internet anyways.

Game console internet connection options are some serious shit man.

Shiggy

The general online logo (which replaces the WFC) is this one:

wifi-blue-ffffff.jpg

But it isn't used on 3DS boxarts, just on the back.

And concerning a WiiU ethernet port:
41XjSLD-CqL.jpg

There's no need for such a port apparently.

MoogPaul

I hate Wi-Fi mainly because its way slower than a wired line. I think that's the main reason why PS3 online players lag a lot.

It has more to do with how the packets are sent via wi-fi vs wired connection. Wired is more like "ping pong" and wi-fi is like "ping ping ping ping ping pong" and if it doesn't get 1 or 2 of the pings it just get dropped.

These myths and wrong info about Wi-Fi not working almost perfectly as good as wired, will be a burden GAF will follow forever; at least until Nintendo puts a lan slot in its consoles.

not everyone upgrades their receivers every other year or so, so...many still don't.

Wait so people shit on Nintendo for not supporting old standards?

WAT?

These myths and wrong info about Wi-Fi not working almost perfectly as good as wired, will be a burden GAF will follow forever; at least until Nintendo puts a lan slot in its consoles.

It's really mind boggling too as consoles and online gaming never even come close to max out a wireless signals bandwidth, let alone that packet loss and latency is practically identical between a well set up wireless and wired connection.

Then again, some people still think that the only reason they ever lose online is due to poor connection lol.

WillyFive

-Demos

They usually do a lot of stuff before it's industry standard, therefore it never catches on, like online play with SNES and N64, or connectivity with the Gamecube.

AzaK

Your receiver doesn't even do HDMI?
Mine doesn't. It's about 6-8 years old now I think. Nice receiver but no HDMI.

Moving to an HDMI only console would suck for me. I prefer to run my consoles through a receiver (For good sound and convenience as everything else I have runs through it) and component was fine for me. I will need to also invest in another receiver if I get a Wii U it seems - and that sucks.

test_account

XP-39C²
-they introduce the analog and vibration
Atari 5200 had analog joystick, the same with Vectrex. And both Nintendo and Sony released rumble support pretty much at the exact same time (both in April 1997). But Nintendo have been good at making things popular several of times, that is true, eventhough they are not always the first to invent or use something.

Postman

Banned
Atari 5200 had analog joystick, the same with Vectrex. And both Nintendo and Sony released rumble support pretty much at the exact same time (both in April 1997). But Nintendo have been good at making things popular several of times, that is true, eventhough they are not always the first to invent or use something.

thumb stick.

and no nintendo clearly had rumble first as well.

sony had dual thumbticks though that was a genius move as well, but looking through the ages and at current controllers nintendo def has had the biggest influence.

test_account

XP-39C²
thumb stick.

and no nintendo clearly had rumble first as well.

sony had dual thumbticks though that was a genius move as well, but looking through the ages and at current controllers nintendo def has had the biggest influence.
Thumb stick perhaps, but it was not the first analog stick for a gaming system :)

About rumble, it seems that not many know this, but Sony released a dual analog controller in Japan that had rumble support. I dont think this controller ever made it outside of Japan, at least not with rumble support. This controller came out in April 1997, the same month that Nintendo came out with their rumble addon. I'm not sure about the exact dates, so one might have released some days before the other, but it was at least the same month, so i'd say it is pretty much the same time.

Amppelix

Neo Member
Has anyone said that Mario Kart 7 says you're connecting to the Nintendo Network when you go online? Because Mario Kart 7 says you're connecting to the Nintendo Network when you go online.

Top Bottom