• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Network" logo spotted on 3DS box

Thumb stick perhaps, but it was not the first analog stick for a gaming system :)

About rumble, it seems that not many know this, but Sony released a dual analog controller in Japan that had rumble support. I dont think this controller ever made it outside of Japan, at least not with rumble support. This controller came out in April 1997, the same month that Nintendo came out with their rumble addon. I'm not sure about the exact dates, but it was at least the same month, so i'd say it is pretty much the same time.

Nintendo really needs to stop announcing their new controller ideas way in advance of release. Wasn't there a rumor recently that the next Xbox will have a tablet-style interface option?

Grok4Spock

Thumb stick perhaps, but it was not the first analog stick for a gaming system :)

About rumble, it seems that not many know this, but Sony released a dual analog controller in Japan that had rumble support. I dont think this controller ever made it outside of Japan, at least not with rumble support. This controller came out in April 1997, the same month that Nintendo came out with their rumble addon. I'm not sure about the exact dates, so one might have released some days before the other, but it was at least the same month, so i'd say it is pretty much the same time.

It was released outside of Japan.. It was called the Dual Shock controller.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nintendo really needs to stop announcing their new controller ideas way in advance of release. Wasn't there a rumor recently that the next Xbox will have a tablet-style interface option?
It could be that Nintendo announced rumble support first yeah, then other picked up on it. But that will be pure speculation though, even if Nintendo did announce it first, other can just say "we had it in the works before Nintendo announced it", and we will most likely never know if this is true or not. The same goes for the rumored Xbox 720 controller (yep, there was a rumor about this indeed).

It was released outside of Japan.. It was called the Dual Shock controller.
The DualShock is the 2nd iteration. The first Dual Analog controller only has one rumble engine i think, while DualShock has two rumble engines.

I also think that the first Dual Analog was fairly shorted lived, so i understand why many dont know about this controller. I didnt know about this controller myself until a few years ago.

I wonder how long it will take SE to release Theatrhythm outside of Japan...I know there are trademarks but I kind of want to import it if it isn't coming out here.

Cipherr

It could be that Nintendo announced rumble support first yeah, then other picked up on it. But that will be pure speculation though, even if Nintendo did announce it first, other can just say "we had it in the works before Nintendo announced it", and we will most likely never know if this is true or not. The same goes for the rumored Xbox 720 controller (yep, there was a rumor about this indeed).

The DualShock is the 2nd iteration. The first Dual Analog controller only has one rumble engine i think, while DualShock has two rumble engines.

I also think that the first Dual Analog was fairly shorted lived, so i understand why many dont know about this controller. I didnt know about this controller myself until a few years ago.

Im pretty sure that first dual analog controller was discontinued and never made it out of Japan at all actually. It was by FAR a reaction to Nintendo bringing both Analog and Rumble to consoles. They later stripped the rumble from that controller, and pushed out just the analog version overseas, then redid it again I believe with the analog and rumble.

This really isnt even close, neither of them deserve credit for 'inventing' rumble or analog on consoles, but Nintendo definitely headed that direction first, spurring a reaction from Sony.

test_account

XP-39C²
Im pretty sure that first dual analog controller was discontinued and never made it out of Japan at all actually. It was by FAR a reaction to Nintendo bringing both Analog and Rumble to consoles. They later stripped the rumble from that controller, and pushed out just the analog version overseas, then redid it again I believe with the analog and rumble.

This really isnt even close, neither of them deserve credit for 'inventing' rumble or analog on consoles, but Nintendo definitely headed that direction first, spurring a reaction from Sony.
Yep, i think it (Dual Analog) was quite shorted lived indeed. The Dual Shock came out later that year as well, so it makes a bit sense that way why the first one didnt make it very far. Regarding rumble, i have no idea who came up with the idea first, but i agree that the analog stick on PS1 seems like a respond to Nintendo's N64 controller.

FI will say that it is not always about being the first to invent something, there is also the thing to make something popular and expand on already excisting ideas. I think both Microsoft and Sony have contributed good regarding controllers.

Seems like it's what they will be calling the ability to buy stuff from your PC and download it on your 3DS/Wii U.

I hope it's more than that. That seems too cumbersome.

Ideally it would be an evolution of that "always on" thing Iwata said when the Wii first came out regarding the updates and messages. I'm thinking a service where you can buy things via PC and purchased items automatically download if the console is linked up via net.

It's a stretch, but in the perfect world...

Looking at the house ⌂ shaped logo, it is certainly a household-to-Nintendo interaction.
Maybe that's too obvious, though.

In context of the network being in Theatrhythm,
what ways could this game use it for?

trinest

Looking at the house ⌂ shaped logo, it is certainly a household-to-Nintendo interaction.
Maybe that's too obvious, though.

In context of the network being in Theatrhythm,
what ways could this game use it for?

I'm pretty sure it has DLC, but I'm not to sure what else.

DarkWish

Saw this on Nintendo Everything:

mU3Ev.jpg

Does Dynasty Warriors VS have DLC as well? I can't remember.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
DAMN! Anticipated!
It should have Nintendo costumes as DLCs, IIRC.

Anth0ny

Will this logo be on the Re:R box since that has online wi-fi?

cyGSvl.jpg

Doesn't look like it.

I suppose it's on the Dynasty Warriors and Theatrhythm boxes because they are released after tomorrow's possible announcement?

Very confusing. I hope Nintendo clears this up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
They probably just decided to put a logo on the front to stress the online features of the games with network capabilities, and dropped the old Nintendo WiFi Connection logo because of its negative connotations due to friend codes.

I wouldn't expect much more, honestly.

MisterHero

I thought the Red Label Nintendo WiFi logo was for paid content.

I hope this new label means a lot more than that

GameE

Investor briefings from Nintendo generally come along with some sort of game/service announcement. So it is a possibility Nintendo will debrief investors on their new online services that support paid DLC ect...

I remember reading some where Iwata said that they wouldnt announce much at investor stuff anymore because they got Nintendo Direct

wsippel

Banned
They probably just decided to put a logo on the front to stress the online features of the games with network capabilities, and dropped the old Nintendo WiFi Connection logo because of its negative connotations due to friend codes.

I wouldn't expect much more, honestly.
Remember the whole web integration thing Iwata announced last year, eShop accessible using smartphone browsers and stuff like that? Nintendo registered the nintendonetwork.net domain at almost exactly the same time as Iwata made those announcements.

thefro

I remember reading some where Iwata said that they wouldnt announce much at investor stuff anymore because they got Nintendo Direct

An online service is a much bigger deal to investors then a random game announcement.

I'm sure investors will be interested in that and how it can increase Nintendo's profits.

It's too bad this turned out to just be rebranding.

I am indeed pleasantly surprised. But always best to keep expectations low at these things anyway!

Still, it's a shame that Iwata implied by omission that account-based online wouldn't be added retroactively to 3DS, though it's much more important on Wii U anyway.

Top Bottom