• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Championships 2017 announced

kulapik

https://youtu.be/Ja6rxxb2zRc

Holy shit

New York City • Oct. 7, 2017
Manhattan Center’s Grand Ballroom

This October, Nintendo fans will put their gaming skills to the ultimate test in an epic battle to win the Nintendo World Championships 2017.

It all kicks off with eight qualifying events at select Best Buy stores across the U.S.* Join the celebration of Nintendo’s past, present, and future—and maybe even win a trip to NYC for the finals!

*Open to residents of the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec).

Qualifiers: Four weekends, eight locations

August 19 and 20
New York
SF Bay Area

August 26 and 27
Chicago
Los Angeles

September 2 and 3
Minneapolis
Dallas

September 9 and 10
Seattle
Miami

Exclusively at select store locations.

nwc.nintendo.com

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Man, I didn't really expect to see other Nintendo World Championship that soon but it would make sense since it was pretty successful last time.

Taking bets now for whether this will be where they announce Smash Switch

Are you for it or against it? :p

Taking bets now for whether this will be where they announce Smash Switch

They should reveal it in the same way they unveiled SMB3 in The Wizard:

the-wizard-1989-review-super-mario-bros-3-video-game-competition-jimmy-luke-edwards.jpg

Regiruler

Semi-fake requests aside, I really hope we see a brand new title played (not Smash, that's not new). I like something that can throw everybody off.
welp, I wish I did not suck so much at Splatoon 2

I am sure that game will have a slot (I hope)

I'd rather not, I like the game a lot but it was a weak point during 2015.

Regiruler

whatever new game they wanted to spotlight was not ready?

I said next E3.

It only makes sense to not do it for E3 if they already have a tournament planned for next E3 that can hold its own (probably a smash game, because the original smash E3 tourney is still the strongest single game tournament nintendo has done at E3).

gardfish

Man, I'm going to be away from the city during the NYC qualifiers :( Not that I would stand a chance anyway, but still would've been fun.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Was anything announced at the 2015 finals? I remember the Mario Maker round but can't recall if that was its first showing.

Regiruler

Was anything announced at the 2015 finals? I remember the Mario Maker round but can't recall if that was it's first showing.

Blast Ball was played prior to finals.

Earthbound Beginnings was announced right before it started... for some reason.
Metroid Federation Force Ball Blast was announced.

Emphasis on just Blast Ball, we didn't know it was Metroid based at the time (although someone made a pretty spot on thread guessing that).

NotLiquid

Mario Kart 7 being the qualifier game is bizarre.

Predicting Splatoon 2, ARMS, Pokkén, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash and Mario Maker.

Semi-fake requests aside, I really hope we see a brand new title played (not Smash, that's not new). I like something that can throw everybody off.

I'd rather not, I like the game a lot but it was a weak point during 2015.

this is all about PR so I expect them to milk Spatoon 2 weak point or not

besides it qualifiers start Aug 19 what other games could they possibly use? Unless this will feature our old Wii U Smash

they would have to announce Smash for Switch before the 19th and have it playable at the stores holding the event then release it in October

Regiruler

this is all about PR so I expect them to milk Spatoon 2 weak point or not

besides it qualifiers start Aug 19 what other games could they possibly use? Unless this will feature our old Wii U Smash

they would have to announce Smash for Switch before the 19th and have it playable at the stores holding the event then release it in October

It doesn't have to be a game that's immediately available. I want some smaller brand new game shown.

OH. Thinking about it, they're probably going to have Flip Wars as one of the rounds.
Mario Kart 7 being the qualifier game is bizarre.

Predicting Splatoon 2, ARMS, Pokkén, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash and Mario Maker.

That's way too fighting game heavy.

ARMS is going to probably be there, and I would guess a new character is announced either before or after the event. I don't think both Pokken and Smash will be there, it's one or the other.

I said next E3.

It only makes sense to not do it for E3 if they already have a tournament planned for next E3 that can hold its own (probably a smash game, because the original smash E3 tourney is still the strongest single game tournament nintendo has done at E3).

my mistake read it wrong

Kneefoil

I wonder what games will be in it this time. ARMS, Splatoon 2, MK8D and Pokkén seem like the likely candidates, but the last one also had some retro stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the final game was an unannounced title like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch or Super Mario Maker Switch. Ideally it'd be something we don't see coming, though.

Nintendo World* Championship

*Open to residents of the U.S. and Canada (excluding Quebec).
Yup. That's dumb.

Regiruler

Interesting.

bring back the commentators for the Splatoon tournamentand you're good.

d32c4bfc-5213-11e7-b066-8e5e95375864-780x540.jpg

Guy on the right was also commenting the ARMS tourney right? I forgot his name, but he's usually a go-to announcer for a lot of Nintendo's competitive events these days.

Top Bottom